Forum of Thrones: An Interactive Story

Comments

• [Tell her that Garen is dissatisfied with her leadership]

Drent A few hours before sundown, far too early in Drent's opinion, the Storm Princess decided to set up a camp for the night, when her s

• [Tell her that some men are dissatisfied with her leadership, but you don't know their names] What could possibly go wrong?

Drent A few hours before sundown, far too early in Drent's opinion, the Storm Princess decided to set up a camp for the night, when her s

• [Tell her that Garen is dissatisfied with her leadership] We've got no reason to protect Garen. Simply throw him under the bus and get it over with. Perhaps might even get Drent on the princess' good side.

• [Tell her that some men are dissatisfied with her leadership, but you don't know their names] I see no risk here... I don't think...

Great part!

• [Tell her that Garen is dissatisfied with her leadership] I think it's more important that we are on the good side of the princess than that we are on the good side of Garen.

• [Tell her that Garen is dissatisfied with her leadership] I feel like it's not very smart to lie to her after she just told Drent to be honest.

• [Tell her that Garen is dissatisfied with her leadership] I'd rather be honest with that woman.

• Hazard20Hazard20 Banned
    edited July 2015

[Tell her that Garen is dissatisfied with her leadership]

• Where's the tell her YOUR dissatisfied with her leadership option? :p

• edited July 2015

Originally I had planned to give this choice, but I decided to cut it for two reasons. First of all, Drent is actually quite satisfied with her leadership. The Durrandons have many flaws, but bad leadership is not among them. Argella is naturally talented, even though she lacks experience. Objectively, she does a good job for her first time commanding a unit of soldiers and Drent has to give her credit for this, especially as he expected far less from her. And second, even if he would be dissatisfied with her, it would be a huge gamble to say this to her face. King Argilac would probably discuss criticism against him over a friendly brawl and a few drinks afterwards, as long as he is treated with respect, but Argella is not her father, so her reaction might be different. And Drent is definitely not foolish enough to test her :D

AgentZ46 posted: »

Where's the tell her YOUR dissatisfied with her leadership option?

• edited July 2015

[Tell her that Garen is dissatisfied with her leadership] Like others said, we don't have that much of a reason to protect Garen. I think it's better to get on the princess'es (is that how you say it? xD) good side without doing much harm.

• [tell her that haren is dissatisfied with her leadership]

• "Haren is dissatisfied with my leadership? Seriously mister Golton, who the fuck is Haren?"

hehe, jk

[tell her that haren is dissatisfied with her leadership]

• You don't know Haren ?!

"Haren is dissatisfied with my leadership? Seriously mister Golton, who the fuck is Haren?" hehe, jk

• edited July 2015

The Voting is closed!

Drent will tell the princess that Garen is dissatisfied with her leadership

Well... her reaction will be an interesting one, I can promise you that. I actually can't wait to write the next Drent part, but in the meantime there will be a lot of other parts which I'm very excited to write as well. The next part is about halfway written. It will be a Jenna part and it should be finished later today.

However, I also have slightly bad news. I will be on a small vacation over the weekend, which means that I won't be able to write during that time. However, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to have internet over there, so that I can at least continue to read the other stories here. If, and that is a pretty big 'If', I manage, there might be another part out tomorrow before I leave, if the voting is somewhat active and more importantly, I indeed manage to write this second part in the next 24 hours as well. But well, at least there will be a part today for sure.

• Well, I'd be very happy if you get the part finished and posted tomorrow, but enjoy your vacation anyway! :)

The Voting is closed! Drent will tell the princess that Garen is dissatisfied with her leadership Well... her reaction will be an inte

• Alt text

The Voting is closed! Drent will tell the princess that Garen is dissatisfied with her leadership Well... her reaction will be an inte

• Alt text

• edited July 2015

Jenna

Her heart was beating furiously in her chest as Jenna was walking down the hallway of the castle. Next to her walked the new captain of the guard, Nora. Just watching her made Jenna a bit uncomfortable. Nora was all the things Jenna wasn't, strong, beautiful, confident. But the way she looked at her, the way everyone looked at her, bothered Jenna a lot. A mixture of shock and pity. Jenna wanted no pity. She wanted to see the man who attacked her dead. Not only Wolfius, but also the one behind him, the one who sent him to Raylansfair and ordered him to kill her and Lady Halla. And to achieve this, she needed the help of a man whom she once deemed as the worst monster possible, before she met Wolfius. She needed the help of Harris Flowers.

Nora stopped in front of the door that lead to Lord Harris audience room. She hadn't talked much to Jenna, only saying the necessary things, almost as if she was uncomfortable talking to her. But now she looked at her for a moment, before looking away again. “He's inside. But... he is not in a good mood. While you were gone, someone arrived. Someone who will be trouble for all of us”, she explained. Jenna gave her a curious look, slightly raising her left eyebrow. She regretted it immediately as pain flashed through her face as she moved the wounded part of it. “Who...”, she managed to press through her teeth. “Lord Raylan's heir”, Nora mumbled shortly, giving her a worried look. “Are you sure that you should...”

Jenna cut her off by giving her a quick nod. “I have to”, she answered. She had to. There was nothing she'd like to do more right now than to go home, hide in her room and cry. But she couldn't do it. Not while there was still something left for her to do.

She reached for the doorknob, before stopping immediately as she realized the other thing Nora had said. “Lord Raylan has an heir?”, she asked, her eyes wide opened. Nora pressed her lips together, nodding slowly. “The Lord of Mander's Mouth. He arrived with half of his guard. Thirty soldiers, Jenna”, she explained. “That alone is a bit more than we have if you don't count the city guard”, she added after a moment of silence.

“So... do you think he could plan to get his right by force?”, Jenna asked, feeling uneasy as she said this. By force... there hasn't been an armed conflict in Raylansfair for six years, when the last raid had been repelled. As far as she knew, the last conflict with another Lord of the Reach had happened over two hundred years ago. The thought of bloodshed on the streets... it felt almost surreal. But so did the thought of a murderer being on the loose.

“That's why he and Lord Harris are talking”, Nora answered. “And that's why Harris is in a bad mood. Are you sure you want to talk to him now?” Jenna gave her a short nod. “Have to”, she remarked shortly. By the gods, she had to, or else the people she cared for had no chance of surviving this.

“Well then...”, Nora said with an awkward smile. “Good luck, I guess. I'll go see after those assholes from Mander's Mouth. Have to take care they behave. I'm still not envying you” She turned around and started to walk down the hallway, leaving Jenna alone.

She took a deep breath, closing her eyes for a moment, ignoring the uncomfortable feeling in her chest as she raised her hand and knocked on the door. “Come in”, the disgruntled voice of Harris growled after a short moment. Jenna gulped as she opened the door, entering the lord's audience room.

She had been in the room before, tasked with dusting it. Lord Robert never received many visitors in Raylansfair and she remembered it as a dead and lifeless room, just as she remembered everything in the lord's tower to be dead and lifeless. Now, it was at least marginally better. There was a warm fire burning in the fireplace, the flames casting shadows on the walls. Two large armchairs were placed near it, to give the two men sitting in them a bit of warmth.

One of the men was Harris, wearing a green tunic, his brown hair unkempt, dark rings under his eyes. He clearly hadn't slept since Jenna had seen him the last time. Still, his eyes pierced at her and his mouth formed a tired smile as he saw her. “Ah, Jenna. It's good to see you, although it might not be the best time for our talk”, he greeted her, pointing at the second man. “Hobert, this is Jenna Harking, one of our servicemaids”

“It's 'Lord Hobert', my dear Ser Harris, we have talked about this, remember?”, the man said and jumped up from his chair, while starting to walk towards her. Jenna saw that he wasn't taller than herself and almost as skinny. His brown hair was cut short and he had a bony face. Still, his smile was extraordinarily charming and as he reached her he took an elegant bow and blew her a kiss on the hand. “It is always a pleasure to meet the servants!”, he proclaimed, looking from a surprised Jenna to a frowning Harris. “Ah, but where are my manners?” He quickly put a hand onto his forehead and chuckled. “My name is Lord Hobert of Mander's Mouth”, he introduced himself. “I am here to claim my inheritance”

He smiled at her, smoothing his extravagantly cut cloak, a long, orange-brown piece of clothing with a low neckline, reminding Jenna of the style Dornish merchants displayed whenever they arrived in Raylansfair. However, as he lacked their tanned and smooth skin, his choice of clothing looked a bit out of place in her opinion.

“M'lord”, she greeted him with a deep curtsy, focussing on the ground he was standing on instead of looking at the man himself. “Good manners for a servicemaid. I'm impressed, Jenna”, Hobert said, slightly touching her chin with his left hand. She shivered, not out of fear, but out of surprise and in a reflex, she tried to turn away from him.

“There is one thing I'm curious about. This wound on your face... it's fresh, isn't it? What happened there?”, he asked and his voice sounded genuinely sympathetic and friendly. Jenna opened her mouth to answer, but cut herself off just in time to look at Harris. The acting lord gave her a tired look, before giving her a barely noticeable nod.

“I... was... I was attacked”, Jenna explained and noticed her voice cracking as she remembered the face of the beast, the knife in his hand. “Here in the castle, by the same man who killed the housekeeper”

Hobert raised an eyebrow in slight disbelief. “A murderer here in this castle?”, he asked and looked at Harris. “My dear Ser Harris, I see I have chosen to arrive at a good time. A lot of challenges await the future lord of Raylansfair”

Harris gave him a nod, but Jenna noticed a hateful glare he shot at the man. “Without a doubt, Hobert”, he answered. “Lord Hobert”, Hobert corrected him with mild annoyance. “I mean, technically I don't have the title yet, but...” He looked at Jenna and gave her a slightly goofy grin. “It's only a formality now, really. My claim is ironclad, my source left me with no doubts”

“Ah yes, your source...”, Harris growled with a dangerous tone in his voice. “Since your arrival surprised me to no end, would you mind to name this source?” He narrowed his eyes and folded his arms, leaning back in his armchair.

Hobert slowly shook his head. “I would mind, Ser Harris. My source will be revealed only to those who matter when it comes to my inheritance”, he explained. “That would be King Mern Gardener and Lord Harlen Tyrell. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are neither, aren't you?”

“You are correct”, Harris growled and Hobert gave him a pleased nod. “I know I am, my dear Ser Harris. Trust me, I plan to reveal my source in time. Until then, my affairs are my affairs, not yours”, he answered and looked back at Jenna. “Now back to this murderer. Speak, dear child. Don't be afraid to tell me the full truth. I am very interested in the problems my future seat has to face right now. Please, do me the favour”

He wanted to add something else, but was cut off by Harris rising from his chair and putting a hand on his shoulder. “With all due respect, Hobert, but you are no lord yet”, he said with anger in his voice, slowly pushing the other man towards the door. “Until you are, Raylansfair's affairs are my affairs” He opened the door, pushing the surprised nobleman out. “Not yours”

Hobert opened his mouth in protest and raised a finger, but Harris closed the door right in front of him, effectively locking him out. As the acting lord turned around, he looked at least ten years older to Jenna. Of course, he was in his early fifties already, but the youthfulness Jenna had always admired was gone. She noticed signs of grey in his hair and beard and wondered if they had always been there or if she just never noticed them before.

“This is going to be a long, terrible day”, Harris remarked and a desperate smile appeared on his face. “Lord Hobert of Mander's Mouth... what an arrogant prick. Comes here uninvited and acts like he owns the whole place”

“Is he truly Lord Raylan's heir?”, Jenna asked, slightly disturbed by the unsettling weariness in Harris' behaviour. She had only seen him that vulnerable once. Only once, back when he had murdered Ser Ilhan...

Harris shrugged. “I don't know. Someone told him. And worse...”, he mumbled and walked towards the large desk in the middle of the room. A number of documents was scattered across it and Harris needed a short moment to find what he was looking for. With a sigh, he raised a small document. The letters were too small for Jenna to identify them, but she clearly saw the sigil. The stag of House Durrandon...

“Hobert is not even my greatest problem. A raven from Storm's End arrived in the morning. Apparently, someone here claimed that the true heir of Raylansfair is Argilac Durrandon”, Harris muttered sullenly. “His daughter is on her way, together with five dozen men and the Storm King expects us to give her a proper welcome”

His face darkened as he screwed the piece of paper in his hands, throwing it across the room. “I have a self-proclaimed heir walking around my halls, with the daughter of this continent's most feared warrior king approaching”, he uttered, shooting an angry glare at Jenna. She took a step backwards, closer towards the door as she noticed Harris' growing rage. “And to top it all, Hobert informed the king about Lord Raylan's death. Gardener has sent his steward, Lord Tyrell, to investigate in this matter”

A desperate chuckle forced its way out of his throat and Jenna took another step backwards as Harris looked at her. “You see, it hasn't been the best day for me. Now speak. Add more problems”, he demanded. Jenna gulped. It scared her to see him desperate like this. It was undignified. Still, she had no pity for him. He brought his problems on himself.

“M'lord, what you told me earlier. The thing you could need my help with... You said you would help us in return”, she stuttered and Harris facial expression got a bit calmer as he relaxed. “Yes... I remember. My help... Jenna, I'm afraid after the events of today, my help might be less than you expect”, he warned her. Jenna shrugged. “It does not matter. Anything will help. Anything you can give. I'm willing to do anything in return”, she answered firmly.

“Anything?”, Harris asked. “Anything is a big word, Jenna” He came closer, looking her straight in the eye. “Are you willing to kill to keep the ones you love safe? Are you willing to suffer for them? Are you willing to be cruel if it keeps them safe? Are you willing to hurt them to save their lives?” For a moment, they stared at each other, before Jenna had to look down first. Harris mouth formed a joyless smirk. “As I expected. I know, I am willing to do anything, so that people like you don't have to”

“What do you want me to do, Lord Harris?”, Jenna asked, still not daring to look into his desperate eyes. “Do you want me to kill? Do you want me to suffer, or to be cruel?” She looked up and finally straight in his eyes and felt anger as she saw the look in his eyes. This man, this murderer... his self-righteousness disgusted her. “Or do you want me to hurt the ones I love? Perhaps you want me to kill one of my friends, just like you killed Ser Ilhan!”

She paused immediately, the look of shock on her face mirroring the look in his eyes. This time, it was him who looked away first. “Perhaps I was wrong...”, he mumbled and closed his eyes. “But that does not change the fact that I know what you did, Jenna”

For a moment, Jenna just looked at him in confusion. The realization hit her immediately afterwards, tore down any thought of defiance against him, filled her with fear. “What... how...?”, she stuttered. Harris opened his eyes again and Jenna half expected to see mad rage in them. Instead, she only saw sadness. “I know what you did. How you betrayed my trust. I know you told someone about what happened to Ilhan”, he revealed and Jenna noticed that she was shivering.

“Please, m'lord... no, I... I... I was...”, she stuttered, taking another step away from him, her back touching the cold stone wall. Harris let out a sigh. “Relax, Jenna. I have told you before and I will tell you again. I have no intentions of ever hurting you”, he said and his words caused Jenna to calm down a bit. She noticed that tears had formed in her eyes. A part of her was repulsed by this. Crying out of fear... she felt pathetic. And this in turn made her angry.

“How have you found out?”, she asked and was impressed by how calm her voice sounded. Harris looked towards the window, turning away from her as he walked towards it. “There were exactly two people who knew the truth about Ilhan, not counting me”, he began to explain. “Lady Halla and you. These killers, they specifically targeted you two. If they would have fully succeeded with their mission, things would have looked even worse for me” He turned around again, looking at Jenna, who successfully resisted the urge to look away. “Someone out there knows the truth, because you told it. I know, Lady Halla kept it a secret. She was loyal. She was afraid. But you... you told it to someone, haven't you?”

Jenna was about to shake her head, as she remembered. The sudden realization caused her mouth to fall open as she took a quick step backwards. She remembered, a dolorous face, puffy eyes, a pudgy build, she remembered someone whom she confided in when she wasn't able to trust anyone else. She remembered someone who served the gods...

“Septon Corbin...”, she mumbled weakly. “He was the only one I told it” For a moment, Harris just looked at her in disbelief. He slightly shook his head, weakly at first, then frantically, desperately as if he tried not to believe her. “Fuck!”, he yelled at the top of his lungs. In a swift movement, his arm darted across the table, throwing documents, letters, quills and a clay jar on the ground. “Fuck!”, he yelled again, slamming his fist on a table, loud enough to make Jenna shrink for a moment. There he was again... the man who killed Ser Ilhan.

“Corbin... he is one of my oldest remaining friends in this city...”, Harris mumbled. “You're lying... you have to lie! Tell me that you're lying!” Jenna looked him in the eye and felt no pity for him at this moment. He was loosing control over everything he tried to achieve and he deserved every moment of it. “Only Septon Corbin”, she repeated sternly. “I told no one else”

A desperate and joyless smile appeared on Harris face as he looked down at his fists. “Do you have any idea what you have done, Jenna?”, he asked. “If what you say is true, then you might as well caused the attack...”

A part of Jenna wanted to agree. A part of Jenna wanted to break down and cry and agree to him, that everything had been her fault. But then she remembered him, knife in hand, Ilhan's blood all over his body. And she knew who was truly at fault.

“If he ordered your deaths to incriminate me even more...”, Harris began, but paused, turning away. She noticed his voice cracking. “Another one of my friends gone... I'm running out of allies”, he continued weakly. She shot him a cold glare. “Perhaps you shouldn't have started to kill them”, she growled, once again surprised by the aggressiveness in her voice.

Harris opened his mouth to answer something, but immediately closed it again, his eyes looking at her in a shocked way. “Yes...”, he mumbled. “Perhaps I should have agreed with Ilhan, should have allowed Lord Hightower to destroy the city, to ruin all of it's inhabitants. Or perhaps you should stay silent when it comes to matters you know nothing about!”

He paused again and gulped, as he seemed to notice how harsh his voice started to sound. “I'm sorry...”, he mumbled. “Haven't slept for three days. I don't mean to blame you for what happened. I need your help, Jenna” She gave him a cold nod. “And I need yours”, she answered. “I will never forgive you, no matter how regretful you are. Perhaps I can understand why you did it, one day. But I will never agree with you. That does not matter though”

Harris looked up, curious for what she might say now. She shot him another glare and in a certain way it felt good to finally express her hatred for him. “You talked about how far I am willing to go to protect the ones I love? You think I am not willing to do all these things you mentioned?”, she hissed. “You are wrong. I am willing to do much more, go much further. I am even willing to work with you

She spat this last word in his face and saw him cringing. For a moment, these words stood between them, behind them a million unspoken ones. Harris face told her everything she needed to know. She was no longer afraid of him, not in the slightest. “What do you want me to do with Septon Corbin?”, she asked.

Harris did not answer immediately. Looking at the ground, his hands opened and closed, his lower lip was shivering. Finally, he looked up, trying his best to calm down again. “I need his confession. If he is involved, I need him to confess. If he knows more about the people who killed Halla, who wounded you, I need to know it. Their names, their location, the one who is behind all of this”

“So you want me to get this confession?”, Jenna asked and noticed how she slowly felt the return of her usual scared feeling. “How... I mean, how do you expect me to do this?” Harris let out a sigh and walked a step towards her, but stopped as she shivered. “Jenna, you are smarter than you think you are. You will find a way, I am sure of that”

“Could it... could it be dangerous?”, Jenna asked, albeit she managed to sound less scared than she felt. Harris gave her a short nod. “Could be”, he answered. “If he is guilty, he could try to do something, anything, to evade capture. But I could give you one or two guards to accompany you to the Sept. If he tries anything, they could stop him. But...”

“But the presence of guards might give him the hint that we already suspect him. He might be less willing to tell us anything if he has the feeling that he has no chance of getting out of this again”, Jenna finished his sentence, earning herself an impressed nod from Harris. “This is true, sadly”, he agreed. “Corbin is a cautious man, but I know he underestimates you. If you approach him alone, you are more likely to get him to confess. However, he might try to kill you afterwards”

“Kill me?”, Jenna asked in surprise. “Would he go that far?” Harris gave her a sad nod. “If he is working with the one who ordered the attacks on you and Halla, then yes, I have reason enough to believe that he would go that far”, he answered. “It's all up to you. Do you want protection, or a better chance at getting what we need?”

[Confront Septon Corbin alone] [Confront Septon Corbin, but take a guard with you]

• [Confront Septon Corbin alone]

Jenna Her heart was beating furiously in her chest as Jenna was walking down the hallway of the castle. Next to her walked the new captai

• [Confront Septon Corbin, but take a guard with you]

Jenna Her heart was beating furiously in her chest as Jenna was walking down the hallway of the castle. Next to her walked the new captai

• [Confront Septon Corbin alone] Jenna likes to live dangerously.

• [Confront Septon Corbin alone] Death to the Harkings! I must admit, I kinda regret telling Corbin about Harris. At first I was all against Harris but now I am seeing he was kinda right about all this. Also, I'm surprised the Hobert isn't a really fat man, I always pictured him as a walking pile of lard lol.

• Death to the Harkings!

Alt text

I must admit, I kinda regret telling Corbin about Harris. At first I was all against Harris but now I am seeing he was kinda right about all this.

Yes, that was intentional. Jenna is definitely regretting it too that she told Corbin about Harris. By the way, I can confirm that the content of the letter was mainly responsible for the attack on Jenna and Halla, since the letter ended up with Mullendore as you know. The sole question that remains is, has it been an accident, or was Corbin deliberately sending the information to Mullendore instead of sending it to the High Septon?

And Harris has good reasons to act like he does. He might not be right with all of his views, but he has good reasons for many of his more questionable actions. In the end, his unarguably good intentions are the main reason why Jenna sees him as better than Wolfius or other people, perhaps even as the best choice Raylansfair has at the moment. While he is still far from being a likeable guy (with worrying mood swings), I have planned to show more positive and complex character traits in him ever since he attacked Ser Ilhan.

Also, I'm surprised the Hobert isn't a really fat man, I always pictured him as a walking pile of lard lol.

Nope, Hobert is definitely not fat. I imagined him as a young, somewhat lanky guy who fails horribly in the attempt of trying to pull Oberyn's style off.

Bounden posted: »

[Confront Septon Corbin alone] Death to the Harkings! I must admit, I kinda regret telling Corbin about Harris. At first I was all against H

• edited July 2015

Well, my friends, this is a somewhat special occasion. Take a closer look at which part of the forum we're currently located in...

Yes, yes, you see right :D

Alt text

Thanks to a certain person who is blind, yet somehow still the best sniper this forum has ever seen, this story got moved back to its old home in the General Discussion. This is amazing and I am very grateful for this. Keep in mind, this might not be a permanent change, but for now it's here and that's awesome.

On another note, I probably won't manage to finish the next part until tomorrow, as I'm going to bed early and have to leave early tomorrow. I am making good progress with the writing though. It's going to be a Samantha part and it's definitely coming out on Sunday, which will also mark the date where I will close the voting. In the unlikely case that I won't have internet during my vacation, see you around in a few days :)

• Wow, I expected my story would be moved to the Forum Games too at any day, but instead your comes back! Well, this is great! :D

Well, my friends, this is a somewhat special occasion. Take a closer look at which part of the forum we're currently located in... Yes, y

• The change it's so sudden, there are no words to express my gratitude to @Blind Sniper. All I, we wish is that our writer, Liquid to be happy, his work is our pleasure. Indeed is a special occasion.

Well, my friends, this is a somewhat special occasion. Take a closer look at which part of the forum we're currently located in... Yes, y

• [Confront Septon Corbin alone]

• You're truly the master of grammar.

[Allow Ser Aldrik to announce you] A knight will always make think better and to [Open the letter, but send Jarek away first] it seems a goo

Sign in to comment in this discussion.