Punishment of the thief

Why is it considered to be a "mercy" or the "wise" decision to sent the thief to the wall instead of simply cutting him of three fingers?

Without the fingers he would still be around to care for his family and even work for the house he belongs to. When he gone to the wall he is gone forever. Seems a harder fate to me.

I played twice btw and one time took the fingers and the other time let him go to the wall.

Comments

• They both are not considered ''mercy'' in my opinion. I showed mercy because I felt bad for him.

• Well Malcolm considers the wall as mercy (when you talk to him after the punishment), but that just his opinion. Surely Royland sees the same way but Talia for example sees sending to the wall as a harsh punishment.

TheCatWolf posted: »

They both are not considered ''mercy'' in my opinion. I showed mercy because I felt bad for him.

• Well, in my first playthrough, I almost sent him to the Wall because I didn't know how bad the Wall is. Now I'm watching the TV show and I don't think that's a mercy choice :P

Well Malcolm considers the wall as mercy (when you talk to him after the punishment), but that just his opinion. Surely Royland sees the same way but Talia for example sees sending to the wall as a harsh punishment.

• Not when the other option is 3 fingers. If it would have been beheading or wall, then the wall could be seen as mercy :D Many rapists also choose the wall when their other option is castration.

TheCatWolf posted: »

Well, in my first playthrough, I almost sent him to the Wall because I didn't know how bad the Wall is. Now I'm watching the TV show and I don't think that's a mercy choice :P

• To be honest it sounds bad but originally I was gonna just take the fingers and let him stay however the fact he acted like a whiner, took no responsibility and shouted the death of the house made me be more harsh and send him to the wall. That kind of behaviour was more detrimental than the stealing and also made me think he could easily turn traitor.

• Sent him to the Wall. I didn't want Ironrath to know that stealing would go unpunished but I didn't them to think I was cruel and unjust either to maim him.

In my second save file I took his fingers so I guess I'll have to see how that turns out.

• edited January 2015

I didn't show mercy because of what I told Ryon that rules are not worth anything if they are not enforced (or something like that) and I thought as well if I cut three fingers off it would be better than sending him to the wall where he would be seperated from his family and I can't just send everybody to the wall (in the end no one will be there hah). But that's what I loved about this episode that every decision was difficult and seemed so important :)

• Sent him to the wall for all the same reasons.

To be honest it sounds bad but originally I was gonna just take the fingers and let him stay however the fact he acted like a whiner, took n

• cut his fingers off. i didn't want to look weak in front of my men. kinda felt bad when talia brought it up.

• I sent him to the wall, he stole from the house and denied it, as cruel as it sound he deserves punishment, you can't just let people think you'll go soft on them just for begging but I think it's a good thing since I doubt he would've been better off staying with Ramsay's guards.

• You got that wrong. Most of them choose the "knife", as Tyrion told Jon Snow.

Not when the other option is 3 fingers. If it would have been beheading or wall, then the wall could be seen as mercy Many rapists also choose the wall when their other option is castration.

• Oh that's true, well I guess Tyrion knows the facts. Anyway some choose the wall.

Hbh128 posted: »

You got that wrong. Most of them choose the "knife", as Tyrion told Jon Snow.

• I cut his fingers off.

• well if you release him Ethan is going to give him gold and you will be encouraging the thieves to steal ,if you send him to the wall he is going to die without seeing his family again and if you cut his fingers well...you know.i think the best choice is to cut three fingers.

• Cut his finger off personally,I want to show the people that Ethan is a capable lord by enforcing the rule,too bad it didn't last long.

• Too bad there's no "cut fingers off and send them to the wall" option.

• Reading this has changed my perspective on this decision. I originally viewed letting him go without punishment as the "merciful" choice, cutting off his fingers as the "harsher" choice, and sending him to the wall as somewhere in the middle. But sending him to the wall would mean that he can never see his family again or support them, and a probably miserable life. If he lost a few fingers, he would be maimed but he would at least maintain his old life in some form.

Then again, keeping family close doesn't seem as much of a priority in the GOT world as it is today. Men are sent off to war, boys go to distant lands to become apprentices or squires, girls may be sent as handmaidens, ect. Just based on the amount of violence in GOT and limited travel/communication technology, I wouldn't be surprised if a family member going missing without a trace was rather common.

• As soon as someone mentioned the fingers thing was something Ethan's father did, I knew that was going to be his choice. Plus, seriously dude, go ahead and desert but DO NOT TAKE OUR DAMN WEAPONS. We need those.

• I showed him Mercy for a couple of reasons. Firstly I didn't really disagree with him when he said the house was going to shit, because as we found out at the end, it definitely was/is. I also wanted to show humility to my people, after all he was just trying to help his family and in my eyes, he didn't really do anything wrong. I wanted to show the people I was a reasonably kind lord, even if that meant taking the risk of them rebelling (if Asher comes back and my people decide to take the piss because of the actions I took with the thief, then fingers will be cut) I also showed him Mercy because at that time cutting his fingers off would probably piss everyone off considering things have already turned to shit, and sending him to the wall would of put Gared at risk and once again, it is hardly a less severe punishment.

• The first time I didn't punish him because of the weak situation of the house but second time I saw that our situation just gives me more reason to punish him,so I cut his fingers by myself. I think that sending him to the wall was too much,the guy was desperate and if I was in his situation I would have done the same probably. Also,whats three fingers right?

• wish i could cut of all his fingers !! :D
    anyway it doesn't matter now that we are dead. right?

• The House will remember the judgement, even if Ethan is dead.

SaeedEzio posted: »

wish i could cut of all his fingers !! anyway it doesn't matter now that we are dead. right?

• Yeah, if you choose to cut his fingers then tell Royland to do it, it makes you look weaker than showing mercy

Herodriver posted: »

Cut his finger off personally,I want to show the people that Ethan is a capable lord by enforcing the rule,too bad it didn't last long.

• Too bad there's no "kill him" option.

Butt-head posted: »

Too bad there's no "cut fingers off and send them to the wall" option.

• The first time I played through I showed mercy but I thought about and decided that it isn't a good idea, it is basically rewarding him for stealing and disloyalty. and makes you look like a weak lord. My second playthrough I chopped off 3 of his fingers, that way the rules are enforced and he isn't seperated from his family.

• I let him go. He was only trying to take care of his family. He made a mistake, as humans are wont to do.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.