Can we ever re-capture the happiness of youth?

I remember when I was young, how the LucasArts adventures and especially SoMI provided epic levels of escapism for me. But it recently occured to me that I may be just over-romanticizing the *memory* of how much I enjoyed it...

Does anybody think that it's possible to re-capture the epic enjoyment we remember getting from our first MI experience, or do you think that's just an exercise in "chasing the dragon"? Thoughts...?

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Yes, it's entirely possible.
  • edited June 2009
    No, youth is youth. Those memories will remain unparalleled forever: just the fact that you'll keep comparing all your future experiences to a myhtic personal past should be enough to make you understand that nothing can be comparable to youth.
    Anyway, you can't stop chasing that dragon. And that's the best you can do.
  • edited June 2009
    I hope JackBurtonMe is right. I wasn't able to recreate that enjoyment with CMI, and even less with EMI. And although TTG's subsequent adventure games have provided me with some fun time-wasting puzzly goodness, they have not succeeded in re-capturing the magic either.

For example, Sam & Max episodes feel to me like shallow stories, repetitive settings, and dialog that consists of nothing but disposable one-liners. That's not an insult -- I think that's the intention of S&M; it's like the 'fast-food' of adventure games. :)

The point is though, any enjoyment I've gotten out of adventure games released over the past 10 years has been from the puzzles alone. The stories don't seem to do it for me anymore (although I've gotten close to that level of enjoyment with some RPG's I've played). Anyone else?
  • edited June 2009
    I enjoy things as if I were young again if I stop living in the present and future, and just allow myself to fall face first into whatever it is I am doing. The more self aware we become of who we are in the world, where we are, what we should be doing, what we are doing, the less we can enjoy Escapism . You need to cut your ties to the world , not look back and just fall into this game. Don't try to tear it apart, don't try to judge the quality , just act like a kid, enjoy it for what it is. Kids enjoy things for what they were intended for , action figures, games, adults on the other hand pick things apart , want more out of things, chase after things they once heard about or saw from other adults . A child stays at home, and his toys, entertainment are very important to him, her. Making time for the game, and relaxing durring it is key to having the right mind set in my opinion. Kids have time for anything, and they are by far more relaxed than a burdened adult . Take your time abosrbing the worlds.
  • edited June 2009
    The point is though, any enjoyment I've gotten out of adventure games released over the past 10 years has been from the puzzles alone. The stories don't seem to do it for me anymore (although I've gotten close to that level of enjoyment with some RPG's I've played). Anyone else?

I know exactly what you mean. The best story in adventure game I've played in the last 10 years was Syberia in my opinion. Even the average modern RPGs seem to me to have a much better story than some of the good adventure games I've played recently.
  • edited June 2009
    doodo! wrote: »
    I enjoy things as if I were young again if I stop living in the present and future, and just allow myself to fall face first into whatever it is I am doing. The more self aware we become of who we are in the world, where we are, what we should be doing, what we are doing, the less we can enjoy Escapism . You need to cut your ties to the world , not look back and just fall into this game. Don't try to tear it apart, don't try to judge the quality , just act like a kid, enjoy it for what it is. Kids enjoy things for what they were intended for , action figures, games, adults on the other hand pick things apart , want more out of things, chase after things they once heard about or saw from other adults . A child stays at home, and his toys, entertainment are very important to him, her. Making time for the game, and relaxing durring it is key to having the right mind set in my opinion. Kids have time for anything, and they are by far more relaxed than a burdened adult . Take your time abosrbing the worlds.

Quite.
  • edited June 2009
    Despite of how much i would love to see the old LucasArts games comeback, i would also love to see new original stories coming to life.
    When that happens, i would really feel the old good times are coming back.
  • edited June 2009
    I remember when I was young, how the LucasArts adventures and especially SoMI provided epic levels of escapism for me. But it recently occured to me that I may be just over-romanticizing the *memory* of how much I enjoyed it...

Does anybody think that it's possible to re-capture the epic enjoyment we remember getting from our first MI experience, or do you think that's just an exercise in "chasing the dragon"? Thoughts...?

I can relate 100%.

ToMI is the biggest straw Ive had to clutch at though for some time!
  • edited June 2009
    I know exactly what you mean. The best story in adventure game I've played in the last 10 years was Syberia in my opinion. Even the average modern RPGs seem to me to have a much better story than some of the good adventure games I've played recently.

I have to agree with this. While the game wasn't flawless, Syberia had a large draw and feeling of magic that I haven't felt from very many adventure games. And for a 3D game that's doing pretty good. The ending was fulfilling and kept that feeling.
  • edited June 2009
    I want to slightly amend what I said earlier about Syberia - I should have said it's the story was the best in a commercial adventure game. I've just remembered about one of the best adventure games series I've ever played - Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw's John DeFoe Quadrilogy (aka the Chzo Mythos).
  • edited June 2009
    "Would you mind releasing my wife? She gets cranky when she's tied up for more than an hour or so."

With that line, the spark's back. So yes. Fucking yes. Monkey Island is back in a big way.
  • edited June 2009
    doodo! wrote: »
    I enjoy things as if I were young again if I stop living in the present and future, and just allow myself to fall face first into whatever it is I am doing.

Ah yes, you mean like into a fresh pile of cocaine! :) Seriously, I like your philosophy and I'll try to think more along those lines in future. I do tend to rush through games without talking time to "smell the roses", usually due to the looming threat of my wife coming downstairs and yelling at me to get off my butt and do something useful.

But regardless, i still find that games aren't designed around the storyline like they used to be. Even falling face-down into it, it's very hard to get that feeling of utter enthrallment. Hopefully TMI will provide that experience.

Some people have recommended Syberia... I'll definitely check that out in the mean time.
  • edited June 2009
    "Would you mind releasing my wife? She gets cranky when she's tied up for more than an hour or so."

With that line, the spark's back. So yes. Fucking yes. Monkey Island is back in a big way.

I think you've missed the point. Sure that line is funny, but that's not what I'm talking about at all. If all I wanted was one-liners, I'd be satisfied with Sam & Max.
  • edited June 2009
    If, like me, you've never bothered to grow up mentally and still act with childish glee to most things, then yes, those epic levels of escapism can return.
  • edited June 2009
    I once recaptured my youth but I lost it in a bet
  • edited June 2009
    I think it's only possible once you're starting to experience something new. I remember when I first played WoW and played as undead. I just got totally lost in the starting zone and just roamed around for hours exploring and enjoying the atmosphere. No new patch or expansion could ever compete with that.

The same thing with the Myst series. I started playing Riven and just wandered aimlessly for hours enjoying the beautiful scenery. None of the other ones could compete with it.

And the same thing with MI2. Just enjoyed exploring.

I think when you first get in love if you put it that way, no other experiences can measure up to how you felt the first time; be it weed, love, video games or whatever. Just the way we work.

Then we might spend tons of time trying to get that moment back, but nothing will ever be quite like it.

I dunno exactly why it is so, but it does work like that way. Might have smt to do w the reward system in the brain and endorphines or w/e.
  • edited June 2009
    I've just remembered about one of the best adventure games series I've ever played - Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw's John DeFoe Quadrilogy (aka the Chzo Mythos).
    I agree. Yahtzee's games are some of the most enjoyable adventures I have played in recent years.
  • edited June 2009
    gordy wrote: »
    I agree. Yahtzee's games are some of the most enjoyable adventures I have played in recent years.

Yeah, it's the fear induced by Silent Hill with that retro-LucasArts charm.

the 'clone' ending was a tad absurd, though.
  • edited June 2009
    tredlow wrote: »
    Yeah, it's the fear induced by Silent Hill with that retro-LucasArts charm.

the 'clone' ending was a tad absurd, though.

This is one of those prize rare quadrilogies where the second one is the worst and the third one is the best.

It broke the bad third story curse.
  • edited June 2009
    The third is Trilbys Notes? Cause i really liked that one.
  • edited June 2009
    This is one of those prize rare quadrilogies where the second one is the worst and the third one is the best.

I think the first one was the spookiest. They were all good, though and each developed the story a little further. I just couldn't get over the warp nacelles on the ship in the second one. They stuck out.
  • edited June 2009
    The flashbacks in Trilby's Notes are my favorite parts. That, and the spooky easter eggs of Trilby's Notes, especially the 'father, why?' one.
  • edited June 2009
    I think once you've buried your first dead hooker, the door to your childhood is closed forever. All you can do is listen to Seal's "Kiss From A Rose" on repeat and wonder where it all went wrong.
  • edited June 2009
    Things will never be as good as they were because they weren't ever as good as we remember them to be. Nostalgia only allows you to remember the good of the past. Unless you're a very cynical person you can't really remember what was bad about anything in the past.
  • Yes, the memories of the first encounter was very sweet! I still remember me on my amiga 2000 playing the first two MI.....sigh it will never be the same, but anytime I play the games, I am right back in my childhood room!

But hey in 15 years playing ToMI will be a nice thing to look back on - just imagine that they playd on laptops with only 8 gigs of memory.....was it the stoneage then :D?
  • edited June 2009
    I want to slightly amend what I said earlier about Syberia - I should have said it's the story was the best in a commercial adventure game. I've just remembered about one of the best adventure games series I've ever played - Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw's John DeFoe Quadrilogy (aka the Chzo Mythos).

Hrm... I will definitely look into that adventure game series. I'll google it, but in the mean time do you have a link to the dev's website?
  • edited June 2009
    I think its a mix of imagination and game atmosphere that determines whether you can absorb yourself into the world again. As kids, we all had huge, overactive imaginations which let us escape into worlds that do not exist beyond the borders of a page, the sandbox or the screen. Rationality is something that you have to be able to completely forget about if you want to get back into that mindset and delve into another world.

I've noticed that people who read lots of books or write their own stories are usually the types that are able to escape into their own imaginations, and can at the very least get another look into what drew them in in the first place.

Also for me, the vivid imagery as well as the engrossing music and sounds of MI3 always draw me back into that mindset that I originally had when I first played it. There are not many games that can do that, most feel like just a mixture of puzzles seperated by lots of grueling walking about. Games with atmosphere, which means everything that you would feel if you were really there - setting, mood, sounds, music, interaction - as well as good gameplay mechanics that give you a reason why you want to be there - story, emotion, characters - help form a different world for the player, who with enough imagination, can get lost in.

Some of the games I've played that have actually drawn me into their world for those reasons include CMI, Syberia, The Longest Journey, Morrowind, the Thief series, System Shock 2, EverQuest and some others. Those are the types of games that evoke such strong emotional reaction from gamers when mentioned, whether it be excitement to go back or longing for that feeling of losing ones tether to the real world for that short amount of time.

A game like that is one in a million, so enjoy them to the fullest when you can.
  • edited June 2009
    Hrm... I will definitely look into that adventure game series. I'll google it, but in the mean time do you have a link to the dev's website?

here you go:

http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/games.htm

The games in the series I mentioned are: 5 Days a Stranger, 7 Days a Skeptic, Trilby's Notes & 6 Days a Sacrifice. They should really be played in that order.
  • edited June 2009
    I think you've missed the point. Sure that line is funny, but that's not what I'm talking about at all. If all I wanted was one-liners, I'd be satisfied with Sam & Max.
    If laughing at a thinly-veiled bondage joke doesn't epitomize youthful happiness, I don't want to grow up in your world.
  • edited June 2009
    If laughing at a thinly-veiled bondage joke doesn't epitomize youthful happiness, I don't want to grow up in your world.

LOL... okay, I'm now certain you've missed the point. :)

If a bondage joke epitomizes youthful happiness for you, then you must have had a very happy childhood. :) I wish I were that easy to please.
  • edited June 2009
    here you go:

http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/games.htm

The games in the series I mentioned are: 5 Days a Stranger, 7 Days a Skeptic, Trilby's Notes & 6 Days a Sacrifice. They should really be played in that order.

Thanks for that. I just checked out the website and some other people's comments on the game, and it looks quite compelling. D/l'ing now.
  • edited June 2009
    LOL... okay, I'm now certain you've missed the point. :)
    I don't think I have. When I was a kid, I enjoyed Monkey Island on a very base level. It was funny. Other things, like music and art, factored in. Maybe I'm easy to please, but I'm already happy with Monkey Island from what I've seen. The music guy? He's there. The backgrounds aren't hand-painted anymore, but they have that same color variety. I get to see old faces that I know and love, and they've grown from their previous experiences.

Overall though, my love of Monkey Island as a kid comes down to cheap gags. And I doubt I'll ever get tired of those, because my sense of humor doesn't seem to have "grown up".

The point is "Can this new Monkey Island POSSIBLY ascend to 'better' than the old ones due to the power of nostalgia?" I get that. But I say that as long as it's funny with a ton of cheap gags and a wacky sense of humor, I'll feel the same about Tales as I do about Secret and LeChuck's Revenge.
  • edited June 2009
    I don't think I have. When I was a kid, I enjoyed Monkey Island on a very base level. It was funny. Other things, like music and art, factored in. Maybe I'm easy to please, but I'm already happy with Monkey Island from what I've seen. The music guy? He's there. The backgrounds aren't hand-painted anymore, but they have that same color variety. I get to see old faces that I know and love, and they've grown from their previous experiences.

Overall though, my love of Monkey Island as a kid comes down to cheap gags. And I doubt I'll ever get tired of those, because my sense of humor doesn't seem to have "grown up".

The point is "Can this new Monkey Island POSSIBLY ascend to 'better' than the old ones due to the power of nostalgia?" I get that. But I say that as long as it's funny with a ton of cheap gags and a wacky sense of humor, I'll feel the same about Tales as I do about Secret and LeChuck's Revenge.

Yup, I pretty much got that. And based on that one bondage-related line you quoted, it's likely that for you TMI will live up to the nostalgia of your youth.

But I'm talking more about the sense of *escapism* and utter enthrallment that I and many others remembered from our early MI experiences, which IMO has more to do with the story and atmosphere. If you somehow experienced epic escapism just from cheap one-liners, then I stand corrected.

As for me, the reasons I'm nostalgic about MI are different and can't be guaged without playing the entire game, so I'll reserve judgement.
  • edited June 2009
    Yes, the memories of the first encounter was very sweet! I still remember me on my amiga 2000 playing the first two MI.....sigh it will never be the same, but anytime I play the games, I am right back in my childhood room!

But hey in 15 years playing ToMI will be a nice thing to look back on - just imagine that they playd on laptops with only 8 gigs of memory.....was it the stoneage then :D?

I played them all again at christmas and they still had the same majic for me. I was totally engrosed in the MI world for the whole christmas period until I had completed all 4 again, and I thought I'd be able to spread them out over the year, they lasted me 2 weeks!!! I have no doubt the new game will be the same, the characters will be enough Nostalgia for me, cant wait to talk to Murry and stan, and meathook!! Im sure they will be in it! there are so many old characters and hopefully we well get to see many of them in the new game, as well as some new characters, I just cant wait!!
  • edited June 2009
    Games certainly still have the power to whisk me away into another world. I'm still playing Fallout 3 on-and-off, that is an amazing world to visit. The latest Prince of Persia, too, gave me some wonderful hour-long bursts of escapism despite its flaws.

I guess the thing with Monkey Island is to let each game be what it is, and not to expect a carbon clone of the earlier ones. Easier said than done, sure, but not impossible.

For me, for some reason, Monkey Island always been surrounded by a sense of occasion. For MI2 (age 12) I remember swapping disks and magazine walkthroughs in the playground (and playing through parts with a friend), for MI1 (13) it was a long birthday weekend with the family, for MI3 (17) I played the game through with my brother, and for MI4 (20) I played with a bunch of friends at Uni. Now, for Tales (29), I'm on holiday in Cornwall from the 6th and a bunch of us are already talking about finding a wi-fi hotspot to download the game...

I just remembered "I'm what-what-a-what-what?" and "well, didgeridoo to you, too" were catchphrases for a while at Uni O_o
  • edited June 2009
    Actually when it comes to recapturing the fun of playing adventure games as a youth, TellTale games nails it . AVS does fairly well itself. TT is crucial in the revival of adventure games over all.
  • edited June 2009
    Yup, I pretty much got that. And based on that one bondage-related line you quoted, it's likely that for you TMI will live up to the nostalgia of your youth.

But I'm talking more about the sense of *escapism* and utter enthrallment that I and many others remembered from our early MI experiences, which IMO has more to do with the story and atmosphere. If you somehow experienced epic escapism just from cheap one-liners, then I stand corrected.

As for me, the reasons I'm nostalgic about MI are different and can't be guaged without playing the entire game, so I'll reserve judgement.

That level of escapism I've only experienced in Riven and WoW so far. MI2, which has come the closest in the MI series, is no where near those two. I think not only shitloads of time has to be put down in details, I mean you *know* when you've been fed quality because you keep tasting so much crap day in and day out, but also it's extremely high quality of music.

So you gotta have a lot of time and energy put into the details, you got to have music that enhances the environment, you got to have space to explore and you as a player have to be able to work with the environment.

I don't have that high hopes for a 2-4 hours adventure, because that would be naive. However, it'll definetly be more than enough for me, just because I'm a fan of the series, but it's not like I'm expecting a miracle to come by. If TTG manages to make a smooth running game with some nice scenery, some decent music and not butcher any characters- I know I have gotten quality for the 5 McDonald's menus I paid for this game and will be extremely happy and satisfied.
  • edited June 2009
    I think that stuff we remember from our childhood and teenage years will always seem better, because we had less responsabilities, more free time, etc.

But to be honest I think stuff was better before. Maybe games are technically better nowadays, but in early 90's there was a great deal of love in their creation. Now games are an industry where they do focus groups, marketing, etc, etc which takes a lot of the risk developers would take and a lot of the creativity and spontaneity.

Even music and movies were better, not to say that everything was better. TV shows have some brilliant examples of quality nowadays like Lost. But mostly there is a factor of nostalgia, but being objective there was a special magical element that is lacking from entertainment these days. Maybe it is a sign of how different society is now.

I'm still hopeful though that I will continue to be amazed by stuff thanks to amazing guys like those from Telltale. Just try to see things and act like a child no matter your age as was mentioned in this thread before :-)
  • edited June 2009
    How can you honestly say that music and movies were better? I mean just recall all that absolute crap we had to deal with when it came to movies! It was really, really bad! I can honestly sit and watch old movies and foretell what's going to happen. Now, the car will blow up! Now, he will get stabbed. It was all so stupid and predictable. Dialogue was plastic. Characters were just non-likeable. I watched Back to the Future 1-3 and always hated Michel J Fox.

Somewhere around 2000, something happened. Producers learnt dialogue. they learnt personality and mostly; the music actually enhanced the experience.

Nowadays I can watch stuff like American Idol and get moved by emotions. This only because nowadays, they are extremely skilled and have extreme knowledge about how to touch our hearts. They film facial expressions, they put the exact music needed on there and everything just works so well. We have taken some pretty radical steps the last decade.
  • edited June 2009
    Music nowadays make my head hurt... I think its because I am getting old...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.