Does Lady Forrester annoy anyone else?

Shes the main one I dont hate but just find irritating.

Yeah I get it her family died and now her new family is dying but still its the same feeling as with catelyn in the show/book, she means well but is just cold and annoying. The fact shes the only one I still consider a carbon copy of a stark character doesnt help

• Gives bad advice to ethan at the council meeting, give up all the wood and everything
  • Goes behind ethans back with malcolm (sends him anyway)
  • Brings herself and the other kids to the council meeting

• Bursts in and almost gets rodrik killed in surgery

• Invites the lady without asking anyone else
  • Invites whitehill without asking anyone
  • Tells him to kiss the ring and rages if he doesnt

Most of the rest of her dialogue is just scolding others for talking

By the end she almost seems deranged so shes going downhill fast I'm just worried what shes going to do next no one seems to be telling her off for doing this.

The only half decent thing shes done is defend ethan at the first meeting

Comments

• Seems like the typical mother character, where if things don't go her way she gets pissy, but always worrying. I would expect as much since we need someone to be on the other side of the spectrum telling you that you made the wrong choice blah blah blah.

• Everything she did made sense since she was a mother. Sometimes she didn't act rationally, but emotionally. That seems perfectly forgivable to me.

• She reminds me of Catelyn Stark, I hated Catelyn Stark. She too gets involved where its not her place, mostly making matters worse.

• No, she does not annoy me. She's not one of my favorite characters either, but I like her and I will probably grieve if / when she dies. She is just a wife (/widow) and a mother in a very, very difficult situation and she is doing everything she can to protect her family and save her house. Also, her acts never crossed my choices so that might be one more reason why I don't find her annoying at all.

• I like her. Then again, I agreed with her on practically everything she said so she never lashed out at me or did anything dodgy so that helps.

• She doesn't annoy me. But she has to stop undermining the authority of her sons like Rodrik and Ethan. Like the examples you give.

• MadManLeeMadManLee Banned
    edited February 2015

Ah please ignore this . I wrote something but now I feel embarrassed by it and can't think of anything else worth posting .

• edited February 2015

Well she doesn't annoy me that much but I can see where you're coming from. She shouldn't go so much solo with all her actions. I said it on another thread already but I say it again here: I think she is becoming desperate and little crazy. I think she will sooner or later make a huge desperate move which will turn out to be mistake and lead to major characters dying - perhaps herself included.

• I feel bad for her and all, but I don't think she's going to make it to the end of the season. I just hope she doesn't do anything rash with Gryff to try to get Ryon released or some other foolish thing.

• edited February 2015

At first she seemed very quick to hand out advice, which is fine and understandable. By now it seems to me that her advice only appears to be just that if you follow it. If you don't she will undermine you right away, if not before if she somehow anticipated your decision. So yes, she does annoy me.

However, that doesn't mean I dislike the character as such, I don't think there's anything wrong with the way she's been written or anything. If we forget the context of the setting for a moment, what I just described probably fits some controlling or overbearing parents to varying degrees. Take the events of the game into consideration and it's all the more understandable. Her behavior makes sense, and under normal circumstances she might not be quite so eager to undermine people. It's just that everything is kind of falling apart all around her at the moment.

• She irritates me a lot too.

Next episode if she keeps pulling that shit (taking decisions behind his back) on Rodrik, I'll make him remind her her place. The Lord is the Lord. I appreciate advices and want everyone to speak their mind freely, even to show disagreement, but don't f*cking make decisions without asking me first.

• MOM LEAVE ME ALONE! I'M TRYING TO RULE!

• She doesn't remind me of Catelyn for some reason. Every time someone told her that "we'll make them pay for what they did" it seemed to bother her. Lady Forrester wants the death of all of them, even to "killing the babes in their sleep."

As for if she annoys me, not really. She doesn't give good advice and I hardly even listened to her advice the past two episodes and will probably continue that way. I don't hate her though.

• What is it with people being unable to understand mothers, even as characters? I'll try to put you in her shoes.

• Gives bad advice to ethan at the council meeting, give up all the wood and everything

Something that you as Ethan and then as Rodrik offer to do anyway.

• Goes behind ethans back with malcolm (sends him anyway)

Are you telling me that you are watching your House (another House in her case) slowly crumbling and you're just gonna let your exiled son (whom you still love, of course) stay so far away without trying to contact him and have him help you? Bear in mind that Rodrik was considered dead at the time, and with Ethan dead, Asher was her last hope.

• Bursts in and almost gets rodrik killed in surgery

You've thought for days that your eldest son died in battle and is a rotting corpse, without proper burial and suddenly he is alive, somewhere in the house and you won't run like hell to see him?

• Invites the lady without asking anyone else

Something we should have thought of ourselves as Rodrik. Bold move but necessary.

• Invites whitehill without asking anyone

Nope. She wanted Ryon to attend his father's funeral. Lord Whitehill was just being an unreasonable douche.

• Tells him to kiss the ring and rages if he doesnt

Fair enough, but surely you can understand why. Being a mother means you'd do anything for your children. In her eyes, something like kissing a ring in exchange for a hug with Ryon is nothing.

The only thing that in my opinion was a bit off, in terms of her character and the writing, was that although she complained to Rodrik about not kissing the ring, later at the funeral she lectures him that his will must be like iron. That part was a bit weird, yes.

• Being inconsistent when you're emotional isn't necessarily unrealistic. If anything, Whitehill's refusal to let Ryon come to the funeral just made her hatred for him grow more.

ninoobz posted: »

What is it with people being unable to understand mothers, even as characters? I'll try to put you in her shoes. * Gives bad advice to

• I want to have a ''come to R'hllor meeting" with her and explain that if she has something she thinks is helpful, she needs to come to me privately, and then abide by my decisions. Honestly, I don't even like her attending my council meetings, she isn't on the council. I have advisers for a reason, I don't need mom sitting in and undercutting me.

• She is steadily descending into madness, she's becoming like Catelyn. The part that did it for me was when she talked about killing the babies in their beds. It reminds me so much of Cat's talk to Robb when he is in the woods crying

• I dont hate her but I think she is sort of annoying

• Agreed.

HiroVoid posted: »

Being inconsistent when you're emotional isn't necessarily unrealistic. If anything, Whitehill's refusal to let Ryon come to the funeral just made her hatred for him grow more.

• shes pretty annoying.

• I understand why she does it what part of my post said I didnt you can still find someone annoying regardless of intent. I dont see why people think I find her annoying because I'm missing something

ninoobz posted: »

Agreed.

• What makes you think she isn't on the council? I was under the impression that she is part of the council, and it's part of her job to advice the Lord.

Duruial posted: »

I want to have a ''come to R'hllor meeting" with her and explain that if she has something she thinks is helpful, she needs to come to me pr

• I don't find her annoying. Her actions is what a mother would do and she is the kind of mother who don't want to see her family destroyed.

• She gon' go crazy, kill a bunch of people and then die herself, I'm currently 50/50 if I shed a tear or not (depends if I'm controlling the one driving the sword into her or not)

• I have the weirdest crush on her ;)

• Well, look, at least she isn't as bad as Catelyn.

• I can deal with her as long as she does not go behind my back to start trouble with the Whitehills but I think she will. She seems to have a habit of doing that.

• I don't dislike her, but I think she oversteps her bounds. I understand her motivation, to keep her family from being destroyed, but she goes too far. I can see Rodrik having to put her in her place soon if she doesn't quit (kind of hope he does). Writing to Lord Whitehill was a terrible decision and really undermined Rodrik's authority. So yeah, she needs to let the Lord rule and give advice without interfering.

• Technically Rodrik does correct her (sort of) depending on your choice with Whitehill. Lady Forrester writes Whitehill specifically to persuade him to allow Ryon to attend the funeral, but Rodrik can refuse to grovel to Whitehill, despite his mother's pleading.

sj4iy posted: »

I don't dislike her, but I think she oversteps her bounds. I understand her motivation, to keep her family from being destroyed, but she go

• I feel like they changed her character somewhat between episodes; I found her to be much more likable in episode 1 than in episode 2, but then again... her husband and son just died, her other son was kidnapped, her family is being controlled by an asshole, her other other son is exiled, and her other other other son is all fucked up from battle.

I feel like a personality change is to be expected. Lady Forrester wants what she thinks is best for the house, regardless of how bitchy she comes across.

• Yeah, since episode one I was like: I love you mother, I really do, but when it comes to politics, I don't need your help.

• IMO, she is going mad. Look, she probably will lead one of her children to death.

I feel like they changed her character somewhat between episodes; I found her to be much more likable in episode 1 than in episode 2, but th

• I don't hate her but sometimes....well there was another character a long long time ago......

ugh....

• Let her be a mom in peace guys cmon.

• edited February 2015

It's because she's stressing out because the same thing happened to her old house remember?

She says so in Episode 2 herself. After the Targaryen Dynasty fell, her House Branfield fell as well. After that she became the matriarch of House Forrester and swore that she would never see the same thing befall on it.

Now House Forrester is falling apart so it makes sense that she's so demanding and stressed out. Nobody wants to experience the same tragedy twice. In her mind, she's probably thinking: "I went through all this once before so only I know how to stop it from happening again."

I think that just makes her character more credible. What would be strange is if she were more calm about the entire situation.

• I have a Castellan, a Marhsall, a Maester, what is she? The Master of Coin? I'm pretty sure that the council is putting up with her, unless I appoint her to a job.

Rogarth posted: »

What makes you think she isn't on the council? I was under the impression that she is part of the council, and it's part of her job to advice the Lord.

• Well, I mean more of a "You shouldn't have sent that raven to him without my approval" correction. I have a feeling you will have a difficult decision concerning your mother at some point in the game, though.

Scaeva posted: »

Technically Rodrik does correct her (sort of) depending on your choice with Whitehill. Lady Forrester writes Whitehill specifically to persu

• She doesn't annoy me at all. It does seem a bit odd that she would remind everyone who's Lord and then tell him (Ethan, Rodrik) what to do/say, but once you remember that she's a) their mother, b) just lost her husband and c) knows her family is in danger, I think she's doing her best to take care of her household.

• She is being an overprotective mother in a time of crisis, which is perfectly normal and ok for the story. Sure, some of the things she does are annoying, but that's what overprotective mothers do. It adds to her character, and I like that. At the end of the episode, she almost reveals how she is allowing the pain and hurt from the inside to consume and overtake her. That change of nature is causing her to puppeteer everything. It is like she is a conductor and everyone else is her orchestra/ensemble; there maybe solos and features for individual, but all that is dependent upon what music and tempo the conductor sets. Her puppeteering can aid in Rodrick not convincing his proposed wife to uphold the arranged marriage (I forgot her name, I apologize). It is going to be nice to see her decisions and interactions with the sons play out in the future.

• Not really shes a total MILF.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.