Strategy to nullify part three and four

edited June 2009 in Tales of Monkey Island
Hia since everyone is dissapointed by part three and four how about story strategies to nullify part three and four?

Here is my propopsal:
elaine: what about the carnival of the dammned, the big monkey robot, and my grandfather

guybrush: ideas from the game designers they did not work out lets start anew

elaine: what is a game designer

guybrush: forget what I just said

Comments

• edited June 2009
    I'm not disappointed by MI3. And there are even some people who like MI4.

Besides, the developers have accepted #3 and #4 as canon.

Sorry, but this thread is FAIL.
  • edited June 2009
    I enjoyed both of them (granted I've only played through MI4 once). CMI was amazing and I felt like it was just as good as the first two. So as already stated, this thread is fail.
  • edited June 2009
    well from the trailer this seems to me more like a disguised MI2 sequel. Evidence: Guybrush has the beard, like in MI2. Le'chuck is, for some reason, in his zombie form. Guybrush's cloths look similar to the ones in MI2, etc'...
    I don't think they're gonna completly ignore 3 and 4, but If you choose to look at it as a "real monkey island 3", you probably could. then again, this is all speculations...
  • edited June 2009
    Huh? I *loved* Monkey Island 3.

And 4 wasn't too bad either. It wasn't exactly "Monkey Island" good, but it wasn't really god-awful either. Plot hiccups aside, there is nothing really wrong with it other than Monkey Kombat.
  • edited June 2009
    Mataku wrote: »
    well from the trailer this seems to me more like a disguised MI2 sequel. Evidence: Guybrush has the beard, like in MI2. Le'chuck is, for some reason, in his zombie form. Guybrush's cloths look similar to the ones in MI2, etc'...
    I don't think they're gonna completly ignore 3 and 4, but If you choose to look at it as a "real monkey island 3", you probably could. then again, this is all speculations...
    But he is married in TMI, so that doesn't really fly. Also, it has been said before that TMI is set after a hypothetical fifth Monkey Island game. Also, a "real Monkey Island 3" would have the story written by Ron Gilbert. But CMI was absolutely fine as a 3rd MI game, so I don't know why we're even having this discussion.
  • edited June 2009

And 4 wasn't too bad either. It wasn't exactly "Monkey Island" good, but it wasn't really god-awful either. Plot hiccups aside, there is nothing really wrong with it other than Monkey Kombat.

Ditto.
  • edited June 2009
    well from the trailer this seems to me more like a disguised MI2 sequel. Evidence: Guybrush has the beard, like in MI2.

So the lack of beard would make CMI a disguised Monkey Island I sequel? Is there a hidden message in Guybrush's mutating face hair?

Cue Dramatic music...
  • edited June 2009
    Or, maybe MI3 & MI4 were just illusions... Come on, you remember MI2's ending don't you?
    But I have to admit, I really like MI3...
  • edited June 2009
    *facepalm*
  • edited June 2009
    1. They've already said that all of the previous games are going to be canon.

2. If you try to ignore Curse, you ignore one of the best of the old Lucas Arts games, as well as one of my favorite games of all time.

I don't care about Escape so much; I can take it or leave it, really.
  • edited June 2009
    I do not really mind if some of the games contradict the others a little as long as they are not major plot holes.
  • edited June 2009
    As much as I would like to see a proper sequel to LeChuck's Revenge, it's just not going to happen. Just except that fact and move on.
  • edited June 2009
    puerulus wrote: »
    As much as I would like to see a proper sequel to LeChuck's Revenge, it's just not going to happen. Just accept that fact and move on.

Sorry, I had to.
  • jtcjtc
    edited June 2009
    werpu wrote: »
    Hia since everyone is dissapointed by part three and four how about story strategies to nullify part three and four?

Here is my propopsal:
    elaine: what about the carnival of the dammned, the big monkey robot, and my grandfather

guybrush: ideas from the game designers they did not work out lets start anew

elaine: what is a game designer

guybrush: forget what I just said

uh...what? I think this can be safely buried along with that microphone insult swordfighting..'idea'.. MI3 was very good and to be honest I didn't have a problem with MI4 either, Monkey Kombat maybe but there was a nice guide to that so not much brain wrecking was needed there.
  • TeaTea
    edited June 2009
    CoMI is MI4 that took place after an imaginary MI3.

Duh.

It's just EMI that doesn't belong in the series at all.
  • edited June 2009
    Okay, it should be obvious that simply ignoring CMI and EFMI would be a disservice to fans of the franchise (I would like to see Ron Gilbert's MI3, but not by anybody but Ron Gilbert). Think of how many fans started with CMI. Heck, I played the CMI demo before I ever played SMI or MI2.

There is something worth talking about here, though: how is it possible to regard all four games as canon when the second two games contradict the first two? Details about Elaine's grandfather revealed in CMI and especially EFMI directly contradict what SMI tells us about the initial trip to Monkey Island. I guess one solution is to take the latter two games' viewpoint on these events as canon and ignore SMI, since trying to tie the two threads together at this point would probably be hopelessly complicated. Still, the inconsistency bothers me.
  • edited June 2009
    Not everyone loves Ron Gilbert here . I do appreciate his contributions, however I am not one of those that worship the bottoms of his feet . I embrace Monkey island 3 and 4 just as much as I embrace a non Lucas Arts Monkey Island game . Things change, get over it. It's a franchise with life and it's a video game series of a people . It will be taken in new directions , it will be changed, it will evolve to bring in new masses, etc etc. Take Monkey Island 3 for example which had to evolve its style, in return it won the hearts of atleast half the Monkey Island fans out there as the best of the series. As for Monkey Island four , it was another example of trying to stay current . Unforunately Monkey Island four failed to evolve the franchise in favor of most fans . Atleast Monkey Island four wasn't as bad as Simon The Sorcerer 3D.
  • edited June 2009
    If I was in charge, I would have two timelines, one for Gilbert's MI3 and one for CMI. Like Sarah Connor Chronicles ignored T3... Honestly, I just need to know what Gilbert had planned (Or maybe he hadn't planned anything). Hey, I don't worship him, but he wrote MI 1 & 2 - the two best games I've ever played...
    BTW, with two timelines, imagine the possibilities of in-jokes... :D Of course, complications, complications... But it's not like I'm not satisfied with the current situation, no...
  • edited June 2009
    Sorry you can't nullify them. I tried to convince myself that the Star Wars prequels didn't exist either but they are still there. You'll just have to live with it.

Plus MI 3 wasn't terrible. 4 was....
  • edited June 2009
    I don't think they're gonna be any real callbacks to stuff from EMI, because I have serious doubts any of the producers have actually ever played EMI (unless they were part of its team) , but that's just me.
  • edited June 2009
    I don't think they're gonna be any real callbacks to stuff from EMI, because I have serious doubts any of the producers have actually ever played EMI (unless they were part of its team) , but that's just me.
    Mike Stemmle was lead designer in EMI and is one of the writer/designers of ToMI. I would be greatly surprised if ToMI chose to ignore EMI.
  • edited June 2009
    CMI was a good game, however it still interpreted the "carnival of the dammed" incorrectly. If you understand the "secret" of monkey island concept that embodied the first two games (the concept that the world Guybrush lives in is an illusion, but not because he's a kid in a carnival).
  • edited June 2009
    While neither Grossman or Stemmle worked on CMI or EMI, most of the rest of the team draw their experience from working on those two games. They aren't going to be disregarded.
  • edited June 2009
    Xocrates wrote: »
    Mike Stemmle was lead designer in EMI
    S@bre wrote: »
    While neither Grossman or Stemmle worked on CMI or EMI

And the winner is... Xocrates!
  • edited June 2009
    Haggis wrote: »
    Thank you! Thank you! *bows*
  • edited June 2009

Oh god yes. I love EMI, except for the swamp bit (glitches up on my PC - Guybrush won't take stuff out of his inventory 85% of the time) and Monkey Bloody Kombat. At least you can play the game in a way so it's the last thing you have to do.
  • edited June 2009
    Haggis wrote: »

Note to self: think harder. That particular point eluded me for that one fleeting moment whilst I wrote that. Either way, point still stands that with the amount of people who worked on CMI and EMI on the team, neither will be nullified.
  • edited June 2009
    Alucard wrote: »
    Sorry you can't nullify them. I tried to convince myself that the Star Wars prequels didn't exist either but they are still there. You'll just have to live with it.

Plus MI 3 wasn't terrible. 4 was....

You didn't like Revenge of The Sith ? After watching Phantom Menace again , and after all these years, I thought the film was fair . There was Jar Jar but there was also the greatest light saber duel in all of film history-Darth Maul versus Obi Wan Kenobi and Qau-Quan Jin ! ROTS was pretty good although it had its poor moments.
  • edited June 2009
    Aractus wrote: »
    CMI was a good game, however it still interpreted the "carnival of the dammed" incorrectly. If you understand the "secret" of monkey island concept that embodied the first two games (the concept that the world Guybrush lives in is an illusion, but not because he's a kid in a carnival).

That's according to your interpretation. Ron Gilbert made some of my favorite games (i.e. Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain Slick Precipice of Darkness) but Monkey Island doesn't rest on Parts 1 and 2 alone. Maybe 1 and 2 are wrong. After all, I thought 2's ending was really messed up and unsatisfactory, and 3 did a great job at explaining it.
  • edited June 2009
    After all, I thought 2's ending was really messed up and unsatisfactory, and 3 did a great job at explaining it.

I feel Revenge had a great ending and was easily understandable even before Curse came out with the epilogue scene of Elaine at the end.
  • edited June 2009
    That's according to your interpretation. Ron Gilbert made some of my favorite games (i.e. Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain Slick Precipice of Darkness) but Monkey Island doesn't rest on Parts 1 and 2 alone. Maybe 1 and 2 are wrong. After all, I thought 2's ending was really messed up and unsatisfactory, and 3 did a great job at explaining it.

Actually I thought the ending of part two was great, it simply pushed my out of the chair by surprise. If one ending is never ever be forgotten than it is part two. The reason why I started this thread btw. was mostly to place a good joke (with references to the Loom joke in monkey island)

But seriously, I never liked part three and 4. In part three the graphics style of Guybrush annoyed me to hell (while the backgrounds were fine, but beanpole guybrush was, oh well), and the game felt somewhat lacking compared to the first two parts (I had the feeling that it was not up to the first two parts while being a good game on its own)

Part four for me went even more downhill, I am not sure why, it was neither controls nor the 3d which annoyed me, something else which I still cannot describe, I should replay it to pinpoint it!

I guess what is mostly missing from part 3-4 is the more serious tone in between the jokes with lots of emphasis on content. In part 1 and part 2 the humor often struck unexpectedly, almost out of nowhere, while 3 and four tried to spoonfeed it to you at every corner and by rehashing too much of the old ideas!
  • edited June 2009
    COMI was a brilliant third game. Why ignore it? EFMI may be the weakest of the four, but it's still a good game.

There's nothing I would hate more than pretending two very good adventure games, which gave me so many hours of fun, never existed.

Instead Telltale could try to explain some stuff that happened in EFMI like the story of HT, monkey head, etc.

And please stop with all the Escape from Monkey Island hate. It may not be as good as the others and, Monkey Kombat and self-parodies aside, it's not a bad game. Wait! I even liked the self parodies a bit. :-P
  • edited June 2009
    To be quite honest, ignoring the discussion on whether these games were actually good or not (and, truth to be told, I very much liked playing CMI and EMI), it is much more important to realize what ignoring canon would do for the MI series: plot holes.

It's a nice idea, if you don't think about it: ignoring the plot of the previous two games, working from MI2 on to a new MI3 by Telltale Games.. They've already finished episode 1 mostly, and working on a series, it'd be a major developmental and probably financial setback for Telltale Games if they decided to completely revamp the entire thing: storylines and storyboards and animations and graphics and probably mostly everything can immediately be thrown out of the window because they're not relevant any more, wasting months' work.

Furthermore, ignoring previous installments creates a horrible precedent: who is to say that they can't ignore the annoying plots and random facts and tidbits about the Monkey Island world from the first two games as well, if they are inconvenient to the story you want to create? Before you know it, everything that made Monkey Island Monkey Island is gone, and Guybrush is a space-faring Klingon sent by the Federation back in time to battle Luke Skywalker from another dimension (with goatee, so we know he's the evil twin/clone/whatever), using a holographic image inducer to appear as the lovable Guybrush, when suddenly his technology fails and he has to scour the Caribbean for spare parts. An idea too horrible to contemplate.

The Monkey Island world is created by all four previous games; while none of us like all of it, most of us like most of it. Ignoring games and storylines would, besides leaving most of us confused, smash the world that we loved, removing not only the parts that we did not like, but also the parts that we very much loved.

So, long story short: bad idea, bad precedent, hopefully never going to happen. =)
  • edited June 2009

The team of CMI did not interpret the carnival of the damned incorrectly. They just knew that they had to make a Monkey Island game that people would actually want to play, and that meant maintaining the idea that the rich, fun pirate world that people play one of these games to experience is a "real" place and not just some little kid's daydream, which is an interesting concept, but also an incredibly lame premise for a third game to the general gamer who has the (reasonable) expectation of playing a pirate adventure game of the same ilk as the first two. The only person to continue a plotline as bizarre as the one implied in MI2's ending with any chance of success is probably the guy who came up with it, so the CMI team wrote around it with the Carnival of the Damned explanation (which MI2 went out of its way to allow for with the glowy-eyed LeChuck and the talk of curses, so maybe they weren't so confident in furthering the "kid's imagination" thing even then). If Ron Gilbert ever makes his non-canon MI3b it will certainly be an interesting thing to check out, but I have no idea if it would actually be good.
  • edited June 2009
    werpu wrote: »
    But seriously, I never liked part three and 4. In part three the graphics style of Guybrush annoyed me to hell (while the backgrounds were fine, but beanpole guybrush was, oh well), and the game felt somewhat lacking compared to the first two parts (I had the feeling that it was not up to the first two parts while being a good game on its own)
    While I don't agree with CMI's storyline (continuity), besides that I like it very much as a game. The character art did take a massivly different direction, but hey it's much better than EMI.
    pilouuuu wrote: »
    And please stop with all the Escape from Monkey Island hate. It may not be as good as the others and, Monkey Kombat and self-parodies aside, it's not a bad game. Wait! I even liked the self parodies a bit. :-P
    Herman Toothrot = Governer Marley?? Puhleesse!
    Udvarnoky wrote: »
    The team of CMI did not interpret the carnival of the damned incorrectly. They just knew that they had to make a Monkey Island game that people would actually want to play, and that meant maintaining the idea that the rich, fun pirate world that people play one of these games to experience is a "real" place and not just some little kid's daydream, which is an interesting concept, but also an incredibly lame premise for a third game to the general gamer who has the (reasonable) expectation of playing a pirate adventure game of the same ilk as the first two.
    They interpreated it incorrectly because they made it so that LeChuck had control over it - which he didn't; Guybrush created that "carnival world" himself. In HIS imagination.
  • edited June 2009
    People seemed to have ignored my comment - What would you think about two continuities?
  • edited June 2009
    Am I the only one that bloody loved CMI and think it at the very least matches the brilliance of it's predecessors?

I can definitely say that of the four games that's the one I've found the most enjoyable.
    Aractus wrote:
    They interpreated it incorrectly because they made it so that LeChuck had control over it - which he didn't; Guybrush created that "carnival world" himself. In HIS imagination..

I refer you to this:
    I hope LeChuck hasn't cast some horrible SPELL over him or anything
    Even if the above sentence wasn't so bluntly stated at the end of MI2, you still couldn't say that CMI "incorrectly interpreted" Revenge's ending because MI2's ending would then be so vague that it could be differently interpreted by a whole range of different people.

Aractus wrote:
    CMI was a good game, however it didn't portray my one true and completely undeniable interpretation of what I believe to be the "essence" of the first two games so therefore it's an unfaithful sequel.
    Fix'd

EDIT: @TookiGuy: That would be interesting, but if that would happen then a new Mac or PC-esque fanboy argument would erupt concerning the two continuities.
  • edited June 2009
    They interpreated it incorrectly because they made it so that LeChuck had control over it - which he didn't; Guybrush created that "carnival world" himself. In HIS imagination.
    Except, you know, for the part where it is heavily hinted to actually be LeChuck's doing.

We don't know what Mr. Gilbert was thinking, but MI2 ending actually supports the two different theories. What CMI came up with is no less valid than anything you do.
    TookiGuy wrote:
    People seemed to have ignored my comment - What would you think about two continuities?
    That's something I wish they'd avoid. The only thing those usually accomplish is to make a huge mess and are usually more of an excuse to have 2+ series sold under one well known name.
  • edited June 2009
    I personally like Curse just as much as the first two games.
    Been replaying it recently and I still find new stuff in it.
    Simply amazing how much they managed to cram into that game. Quality all over.
    Monkey 4 I haven't played since it came out, so not sure how I feel about it nowadays. From what I recall I didn't like it as much as the previous ones.

Splitting up the continuity is a horrible idea in my opinion.
    If there are to be even more games just make them fit the current continuity.
  • edited June 2009
    Well, maybe they could do a book/comic for the "other" continuity...
    It could work... But then again I don't think Monkey Island would be very succesful in any other format...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.