Strategy to nullify part three and four

2»

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Xocrates wrote: »
    Except, you know, for the part where it is heavily hinted to actually be LeChuck's doing.

We don't know what Mr. Gilbert was thinking, but MI2 ending actually supports the two different theories. What CMI came up with is no less valid than anything you do.

I assume he was thinking lets give the audience a killer ending which they will discuss in 10 years ;-)
    I rather doubt he had a lot of plot continuity in mind, the entire ending looked more along the lines of finishing the series to me, because it made it really hard to put a sequel after that one! Everything which tried to explain the ending would look lame, and it did in CMI!
    I am not entirely convinced that he had planned a third part like he says today, the idea probably came after he had done MI2, but I am rather sure not before he wrote the ending of part2!
  • edited June 2009
    Aractus wrote: »
    They interpreated it incorrectly because they made it so that LeChuck had control over it - which he didn't; Guybrush created that "carnival world" himself. In HIS imagination.

I think you just ignored my post.
  • edited June 2009
    The continuity of MI3 deserves to be there, just because Ron didn't write it doesn't mean it shouldn't count, unlike MI4, MI3 went back and looked at everything in MI1 and 2 and came up with possible explanations for these issues which allowed them to carry on the series. Honestly, replay Part 5 of CoMI and listen to all of LeChucks continuity speech, to say that isn't well done and shouldn't be included is rather mean when it's a job done well.

As for Escape, well as much as I hope for it to not be continuity, *sigh* it has to be, thnakfully TellTale are setting this after a long time period where us fans can make up in our own minds a super story that fixes all of the continuity issues created by MI4 :p

However Escape did have some good moments, for some reason I love the first 20 seconds of the Lucre Island Map theme.
  • edited June 2009
    Ash735 wrote: »

However Escape did have some good moments, for some reason I love the first 20 seconds of the Lucre Island Map theme.

Escape and Curse are not bad games per se, it is just hard to fill the shoes of Monkey island...
    My dissapointment with Curse probably also was caused by the fact that over the years if you remember something fondly you raise its quality mentally, so after 5 years a good game becomes great. It is hard for a follow up to fill that shoes!
    As for Escape, it is a good game in itself, but Money Islands shoes were too big for it and the ending in my opinion ruined a lot!
  • edited June 2009
    Why can't we all get over the whole "is it really cannon" thing. Look at The Legend of Zelda series. Almost every game has been a different story with a different Link. Also, what about Indiana Jones. First he's fighting nazis, then he's not, and then he is again. It's safe to say that those movies don't follow a timeline. I don't think of Monkey Island as a continuing story at all. Each game is it's own adventure. Don't force the story, just enjoy it.
  • edited June 2009
    freakazoid wrote: »
    Why can't we all get over the whole "is it really cannon" thing. Look at The Legend of Zelda series. Almost every game has been a different story with a different Link. Also, what about Indiana Jones. First he's fighting nazis, then he's not, and then he is again. It's safe to say that those movies don't follow a timeline. I don't think of Monkey Island as a continuing story at all. Each game is it's own adventure. Don't force the story, just enjoy it.

Actually all zeldas had the same story over and over again, but they do not care about the canon there currently are two different timelines, also many great comic books beint settled somewhere in existing franchises break deliberately with the canon...
    I actually would care less about the canon and more making a fun game. The whole canon thing has brought star trek down...
  • edited June 2009
    werpu wrote: »
    Actually all zeldas had the same story over and over again, but they do not care about the canon there currently are two different timelines, also many great comic books beint settled somewhere in existing franchises break deliberately with the canon...
    I actually would care less about the canon and more making a fun game. The whole canon thing has brought star trek down...

Don't get me started on the whole zelda timeline argument. Go here for a better explanation: http://screwattack.com/AVGN/2008/Zelda
  • edited June 2009
    Also, what about Indiana Jones. First he's fighting nazis, then he's not, and then he is again. It's safe to say that those movies don't follow a timeline.

Erm, 1935: Temple of doom; 1936: Raiders; 1938: Last cruisade. You are aware of prequels? or that you can take a break from fighting nazi's if you want?
    I don't think of Monkey Island as a continuing story at all. Each game is it's own adventure. Don't force the story, just enjoy it.

But, But, But... I mean, MI2 starts with him talking about MI1 and CMI starts after the end of MI2 with all the plot tied up at the end. Then EMI carries on from when they get back from their honeymoon, and finally ToMI starts after a really long gap (perhaps a 40 hour epic story... of which we get to see the finale). See, not hard. One big long story/series of adventures starring the loveable Guybrush Threepwood - Mighty Pirate!
  • edited June 2009
    Curse was the first one i played, and is my favourite of the whole series.
    I thought it tied up the ending of MI2 really well. They didn't need to do any of that escape the carnival business, the scene with GT on the bumper car was nice and subtle, and i think if it was elaborated on too much it would have ruined the game, especially since ron gilbert wasn't working on it.
    I actually enjoyed MI4, and still do., Also, who's to say that HT wasn't with his buddy when he got pushed by Ozzie?
  • edited June 2009
    Also, who's to say that HT wasn't with his buddy when he got pushed by Ozzie?

Because LeChuck said he forced Marleys Ship into the Whirlpool when he was on his own in Monkey Island 3 during his explanation of how he went and killed each crew member seperatly when they were on their own. :p
  • edited June 2009
    Hmmm... Maybe Herman was crazed. Maybe he needed one more coconut to the head... Or did Elaine actually call him "Grandpa"?
  • edited June 2009
    Ash735 wrote: »
    Because LeChuck said he forced Marleys Ship into the Whirlpool when he was on his own in Monkey Island 3 during his explanation of how he went and killed each crew member seperatly when they were on their own. :p

Repeated bumps to the head can't be good for anyone. Maybe Herman just had his memories all jostled and repeated them back poorly. May just be a "poor excuse for bad writing" but I think there's already tons of plot holes from MI1 to MI2 even. If I recall right, there's never an explanation for Herman showing up on Dinky. After all, Secret of Monkey Island has two endings, either you go back with your crew, or you go back with Herman. If you go back with Herman's secret ship, why would he suddenly go back out and end up on Dinky? (Which if Escape is true, that's what happened. Because in Escape Guybrush can ask his old crew why they didn't just use Herman's secret ship.)

Honestly though, with the mix of humor and seriousness, we shouldn't be looking at these games so critically, they're all fun games. They're all enjoyable (even Escape has it's moments, for me).
  • edited June 2009
    TookiGuy wrote: »
    Well, maybe they could do a book/comic for the "other" continuity...
    It could work... But then again I don't think Monkey Island would be very succesful in any other format...
    I think it could work. The comic over here was better than I expected it to be.

I liked the MI2 ending, but the point is that it was a cliffhanger and in need of further explanation. I also liked MI3, but even if the MI3 developers' speculation on the details of MI2's ending was excellent(?), I really want to know the actual answer, and that's known only to whoever posed the question.

Assuming it exists. Obviously in the case of something like the TV series Lost, there may be no answer to speak of. However, you do see that you couldn't call a solution presented in a Lost fanfic the true answer to questions posed -- Even if the Lost writers disappeared in a mysterious plane accident and the producers decided to film that fanfic as the official ending to the series.

Seeing as an alternate MI3 doesn't really make sense commercially at the moment, a comic or something would definitely be good enough for me.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.