Anybody know how to get CMI working perfectly on windows XP?

edited June 2009 in Tales of Monkey Island
It occasionally fast forwards through the cutscenes and the sound skips unendingly. I've tried running it in 98/Me compatibility mode and with sound acceleration all the way down, but it still does it.

Any ideas?

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Did you try using Scummvm?

I recently played the game completely without any glitch using it in Windows XP.
  • edited June 2009
    i did try scummvm, but i couldnt get it to recognize the curse folder as a game
  • edited June 2009
    Duate wrote: »
    i did try scummvm, but i couldnt get it to recognize the curse folder as a game

There are quite detailed instructions here:

http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=7445

Maybe it could help with the ScummVM recognizing problem.
  • edited June 2009
    thanks Eduardo, I'll try that
  • edited June 2009
    Run it natively with Windows 95 compatibility mode. Works like a charm for me.

CMI is one of the few games I don't like playing through SCUMMVM, as they haven't gotten the iMUSE fully functional yet, and the music is one of the game's strong points.
  • edited June 2009
    Udvarnoky wrote: »
    Run it natively with Windows 95 compatibility mode. Works like a charm for me.

CMI is one of the few games I don't like playing through SCUMMVM, as they haven't gotten the iMUSE fully functional yet, and the music is one of the game's strong points.
    yeah i just can't get it to work right in compatibility mode (on any setting)

i think my hardware is too new or something
  • edited June 2009
    hmm I didn't have any trouble I had a voodoo talisman though.
  • edited June 2009
  • edited June 2009
    I use the CMI Launcher by Bgbennyboy for Curse, ScummVM for everything else.
  • edited June 2009
    Ash735 gives good advice. You can find the launcher here.
  • edited June 2009
    scummvm is your best bet. sure, there are some music issues (mostly fades, and also when the snake swallows you, the music change is delayed, but that's as worse as i could find), but it's not like it ruins the experience. There's no reason the game wouldn't be recognized. you probably just expect the ADD GAME window in scummvm to show files, when in fact, it shows only directories.
  • edited June 2009
    This is what i did to run CMI:

-Use ScummVM.
    -I install the game, but Scummvm wont recognize the folder, but it recognize the folders in the CD, so do that. Use the CD route, not the folderon your hardrive.
    -That should run the game, but (least in my case) with some type of lag on video and sound, so...
    -On the menu of ScummVM with "Curse" selected, go to options. There mark "aspect ratio correction" that should be unmarked by default.

That did it for me.
    Sorry if i made little sense, despite my bad english, i had some ammount of wine running through my veins right now.
  • edited June 2009
    For use with ScummVM it's best to copy all the needed files to your Hard Drive. There should be some kind of list of needed files in the ScummVM Wiki.
  • edited June 2009
    yeah scummvm works, at least. the problems i've found with it is that it keeps putting the graphics back for items i've already picked up, and it stacks the music so as you move from one area to another the previous music doesnt stop and the next area's music ALSO plays. lame. (this is while playing off the hard drive, as the link Eduardo instructed)

i'm going to try that launcher next.
  • edited June 2009
    Ignatius wrote: »

-That should run the game, but (least in my case) with some type of lag on video and sound, so...

Unless you have a really slow computer (like, slower than the requirements for the actual game), There's really no reason why there would be any lags.
    Ignatius wrote: »

-On the menu of ScummVM with "Curse" selected, go to options. There mark "aspect ratio correction" that should be unmarked by default.

Although this is somewhat a good choice for older games, this does not have any affect on CMI, since the game is naturally in 4:3 resolution.

Duate wrote:
    and it stacks the music so as you move from one area to another the previous music doesn't stop and the next area's music ALSO plays

did you make sure to set the sound acceleration back to full before using ScummVM? because i had never heard of that bug.
  • edited June 2009
    Hello there.
    I also had problems running Curse on xp.
    Here's how I fixed it:
    download this
    http://www.death-web.com/files/imagecfg.zip
    Extract it to the curse folder and go to the command prompt.
    go to the curse folder and type the following,
    imagecfg -a 0x1 COMI.EXE
    this will patch the executable file so that it runs on one CPU.

Voila, the game works perfectly.

I prefer to not use scummvm myself. I want to experience the games exactly as they were supposed to be. Not with bugs in music and other things. I mostly use dosbox for the older Lucasarts adventures. Much superior I think.
  • edited June 2009
    It occasionally fast forwards through the cutscenes and the sound skips unendingly. I've tried running it in 98/Me compatibility mode and with sound acceleration all the way down, but it still does it.

Any ideas?

Have you tried to reduce the sound accerlation? It helped when I had similar problems. Go to Start, select Run, type dxdiag, click sound tab, lower sound accerlation to basic accerlation. Exit dxdiag and run CMI.

PS: After you have finished playing CMI remember to turn the sound accerlation back to maximum.
  • edited June 2009
    Have you tried to reduce the sound accerlation? It helped when I had similar problems. Go to Start, select Run, type dxdiag, click sound tab, lower sound accerlation to basic accerlation. Exit dxdiag and run CMI.

PS: After you have finished playing CMI remember to turn the sound accerlation back to maximum.

did you even bother reading what you quoted?
  • edited June 2009
    Mataku wrote: »
    did you even bother reading what you quoted?

I did. I didn't use compatibility mode or reduce sound accerlation to no accerlation level, like he said he had done, but I used basic level sound accerlation.
  • edited June 2009
    Ash735 wrote: »
    I use the CMI Launcher by Bgbennyboy for Curse, ScummVM for everything else.
    Udvarnoky wrote: »
    Ash735 gives good advice. You can find the launcher here.

This is the winner. The launcher cleared up all of the iMUSE problems of sounds overlapping and graphical anomalies (graphics remaining for items you pick up, things animating behind other objects appear in front)

and then turning down the sound acceleration to basic worked to fix the sped up cutscenes.

thanks all for the help, i hope this thread helps other people too who just want to lurk and not post.
  • edited June 2009
    i hope this thread helps other people too who just want to lurk and not post.

It does.

Oops.
  • edited June 2009
    TheEyeOfSauron.jpg

I SEE YOUUUU
  • edited June 2009
    Mmm. I get that voice-crash that alot of people get... Don't think there's a way to fix that anymore
  • edited June 2009
    Gryffalio wrote: »
    Mmm. I get that voice-crash that alot of people get... Don't think there's a way to fix that anymore

Check my reply further up in this thread. That fixed my sound looping problem.
  • edited June 2009
    Santar wrote: »
    Check my reply further up in this thread. That fixed my sound looping problem.

Yeah, that doesn't work on my PC.
  • edited June 2009
    I don't know what you guy are talking about. I don't get any of those problems when playing CMI in ScummVM. Runs the same as if I had the original Windows installation.
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited June 2009
    I don't know what you guy are talking about. I don't get any of those problems when playing CMI in ScummVM. Runs the same as if I had the original Windows installation.

Same here. The game runs perfectly in ScummVM on my PC and my Mac.
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah. I got a new laptop in fall '07. The one I had before that ran Vista (same as this) and ran the game A-OK apart from the fastforward bug in the cutscenes, which I fixed relatively easily.

Games are becoming harder and harder to get right for all machines, though, as different types of components come out quicker and quicker. Look at Empire: Total War for both a lesson against the Jim Ward school of games-releases and about bug-problems. Unless you literally test on tonnes of different rigs before release, a very big game is always gonna cause compatibility problems. Not being an expert myself, i'd be interested if this is just because Vista sucks or if ETW's official palm-off of it being because of the speed of tech advances in home computing is true.

This is why I love TTG. Their biggest (and only that i'm aware of, apart from the unavoidable one of charging non-US customers more for CDs) problem is sound quality, and although they could upgrade the quality for the CDs (which they didn't afaik for S&M season 1 CD) it's hardly anything compared to some utterly unplayable games coming out these days.
  • edited June 2009
    Santar wrote: »
    Hello there.
    I also had problems running Curse on xp.
    Here's how I fixed it:
    download this
    http://www.death-web.com/files/imagecfg.zip
    Extract it to the curse folder and go to the command prompt.
    go to the curse folder and type the following,
    imagecfg -a 0x1 COMI.EXE
    this will patch the executable file so that it runs on one CPU.

Voila, the game works perfectly.

I prefer to not use scummvm myself. I want to experience the games exactly as they were supposed to be. Not with bugs in music and other things. I mostly use dosbox for the older Lucasarts adventures. Much superior I think.

If the problem is simply that it needs to run on one CPU, you can use Bind CPU. This app can work with any software that you want to control which CPU is used. Download a copy of the executable and type the appropriate command into the shortcut file for any piece of software you wish to use it with.
  • edited June 2009
    seriously guys, use the launcher. it works wonderfully, and i didn't have to mess with my CPU cores or anything.
  • edited June 2009

I used the alternate launcher which there is a link for a few posts ago for my computer (Vista) After using the launcher there was no fast fowarding in the cut scenes, the only problem i had was the voice going in an endless loop after a short time of playing, all i had to do to fix it was, go into were I had loaded the game find the COMI.EXE file (not the CURSE.EXE file) and set it to windows 95 in compatability mode.
  • edited June 2009
    Seriously. Do people really have these problems with CMI in ScummVM because I get none of them. The game acts as if it was played in the original Windows installation itself. The only thing you lose is the custom menu (with the grayed out 3D acceleration toggle gag).
  • edited June 2009
    Seriously. Do people really have these problems with CMI in ScummVM because I get none of them. The game acts as if it was played in the original Windows installation itself. The only thing you lose is the custom menu (with the grayed out 3D acceleration toggle gag).

I dont get these problems in ScummVM, I only got them when i tried to play through windows, but i can now play without ScummVM and it plays perfectly.
  • edited June 2009
    yeah it was really buggy for me in scummvm

maybe it has something to do with my dual core proc or videocard or something? either way, problem solved thanks to the alternate launcher
  • edited June 2009
    seriously guys, use the launcher. it works wonderfully, and i didn't have to mess with my CPU cores or anything.

Yeah, launcher doesn't work for everyone. It seems the more new your computer, the more likely launcher doesn't work for you, from my experiences.

The problem is that launcher hasn't been tested thoroughly because it's a fan thing. So bugs can appear or re-appear at any time and the creators can only react when people have problems, and that's only if the creator can be bothered and has enough time.
    prizna wrote: »
    I dont get these problems in ScummVM, I only got them when i tried to play through windows, but i can now play without ScummVM and it plays perfectly.

ScummVM just plain doesn't work past MI1/2 for me :p
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah, launcher doesn't work for everyone. It seems the more new your computer, the more likely launcher doesn't work for you, from my experiences.

The problem is that launcher hasn't been tested thoroughly because it's a fan thing. So bugs can appear or re-appear at any time and the creators can only react when people have problems, and that's only if the creator can be bothered and has enough time.

ScummVM just plain doesn't work past MI1/2 for me :p

In what way does the alternate launcher/installer not work for you, what problems do you face when using it, and are you using only the launcher or have you used the alternate installer from the same site aswell?
    After i used the alternate installer i still had voice loops after a short time of playing, after i went through were i had installed the game and set the COMI.EXE file to compatability mode: windows 95 the voice loops stopped.

I am on vista
  • edited June 2009

For me losing the original menus was too much, so I rather spend some time working to find out solutions to problems which old Win95 or DOS games have under modern systems.

To this date I haven't seen a game which is impossible to run under modern systems and when I don't have any idea what to do Internet is full of solutions, which more tech savvy persons have invented. Usually simple solutions like using just one core, slowing down the processor speed or using emulator helps to solve the issues.
  • edited June 2009
    prizna wrote: »
    In what way does the alternate launcher/installer not work for you,

As i've said, the repetitive speech sets in between 1-5mins of the game
    and are you using only the launcher or have you used the alternate installer from the same site aswell?
    I dunno what the 'official' launcher is. ScummVM won't read CoMI, probably because i've got to do something different to with SoMI and SoMI:LR to get it working.

The CMI Launcher doesn't stop the repetitive speech thing.

I reinstalled XP on an old machine and now i'm able to play CoMI on that :)

P.S. Odds on i'll get brain cancer from the old CRT monitor :p
  • edited June 2009
    For me losing the original menus was too much, so I rather spend some time working to find out solutions to problems which old Win95 or DOS games have under modern systems.

Huh, the original menu is there? it's on F1 while the ScummVM menu is bound to F5. There's a funny thing with the text speed to, if i don't want the text to hold up the speech I need the CMI menu to set the speed to 0 and the ScummVM menu to set it to 9 :confused: Other than that the menu works fine even the 3D acceleration joke :D
  • edited June 2009
    Well there you go! There's no reason not to use ScummVM.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.