What would completely ruin this game for you?

I don't think there's much really... one thing for me would be if at the end it all turned out to be a dream.

I'll also be a little disappointed if there's no insult swordfighting.

Comments

• edited July 2009
    There isn't going to be insult swordfighting. It'll be referenced, but not implemented. I actually don't see why people want to see it so much, it wasn't in LeChuck's Revenge which was the best of the series.

Really, the puzzle design is the only thing that I think has the potential to really mess this up for me. Their last Wiiware release, SBCG4AP, was a bit dissapointing on the puzzle side.
  • edited July 2009
    Looks like you may be a little disappointed then... No insult swordfighting as yet TTG confirmed.

The only thing that would ruin it for me is that it it really easy and/or really short and I dont expect either.
  • edited July 2009
    There isn't going to be insult swordfighting. It'll be referenced, but not implemented. I actually don't see why people want to see it so much, it wasn't in LeChuck's Revenge which was the best of the series.

Really, the puzzle design is the only thing that I think has the potential to really mess this up for me. Their last Wiiware release, SBCG4AP, was a bit dissapointing on the puzzle side.

Well if it's referenced that's ok. I like it particularly because it's amusing to see the new puns but there's so much humour in the whole game I guess it doesn't really matter.
  • edited July 2009
    one thing for me would be if at the end it all turned out to be a dream.

"The secret of Monkey Island? What are you babbling about Guybrush, you've been in a coma since 1990."
  • edited July 2009
    It would have ruined it if they treated it like Leisure Suit Larry has been treated... and turned it into a platformer / errand boy / simulator.
  • edited July 2009
    Not being available on Steam on launch day!
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited July 2009
    Good news, everyone! We're bringing back ... MONKEY KOMBAT!!!!

...Just kidding, just kidding! :P
  • NickTTGNickTTG Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    the game would be ruined for me if I had to work on it and knew all the puzzle solutions before the game even shipped!

... oh wait :(
  • edited July 2009
    Looks like you may be a little disappointed then... No insult swordfighting as yet TTG confirmed.
    Well, I spoke a bit fast: They're not including it unless one of the designers of the later episodes can think up something great to do with it. That is, they're not going to drop it in just to have it. No plans to have it in yet.
    NickTTG wrote: »
    the game would be ruined for me if I had to work on it and knew all the puzzle solutions before the game even shipped!

...Awww. :(
  • edited July 2009
    If in other chapters you get the same rooms from previous chapters, like in S&M Season 1.
    If there's gonna be anymore "insult-somthing" fights. We get it, we're over it. move on.
    If there's gonna be any Myst-type puzzles. I loath these things!
    MarkDarin wrote:
    Good news, everyone!
    Am i the only one who read this in professor Farnsworth voice? :D
  • edited July 2009
    Thread needs more Insult Monkey Kombat.
  • edited July 2009
    Nothing , my life isn't horrible but I have no woman friend I have no job I have no money the Dean of my college is judging me , I almost got creamed by a semi truck recently , got no one to talk to really -no one listens to me , everyone thinks Im a jerk ... this game is going to be beautiful . Not because my life is bad , nah my life is middle class , I should be thankul but because this game is so much better !
  • edited July 2009
    I actually don't see why people want to see it so much, it wasn't in LeChuck's Revenge which was the best of the series.

I'm pretty sure you're in the minority there, so that's not much of an argument.
  • edited July 2009
    Austin P wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you're in the minority there, so that's not much of an argument.
    Really? LeChuck's Revenge always seemed to be a series fan favorite, or at least a 50/50 split between LeChuck's Revenge and Curse.
  • edited July 2009
    Mostly just like a really stupid timed puzzle which made no sense and I'd had to wait for like a minute of dialogue to end before I had a few seconds to try all options out.
  • edited July 2009
    Yeah LCR and Curse seem to be the two most popular games. Dashing isn't off.
  • edited July 2009
    My mistake then.
  • edited July 2009
    Really? LeChuck's Revenge always seemed to be a series fan favorite, or at least a 50/50 split between LeChuck's Revenge and Curse.

true, our poll confirms it. Plus, i don't think the reason CMI is liked is because of the sword fighting. If anything, it's the must slowed down, annoying part of the game (really annoying if you're going for a speedrun ;)), seems to be put there just to lengthen the play time of the game.
  • edited July 2009
    I really doubt that Curse of Monkey Island was made with speed runs in mind. Also keep in mind that that poll represents a very small percentage of the total fanbase, so it's not necessarily hard proof of each game's popularity.
  • edited July 2009
    Austin P wrote: »
    I really doubt that Curse of Monkey Island was made with speed runs in mind. Also keep in mind that that poll represents a very small percentage of the total fanbase, so it's not necessarily hard proof of each game's popularity.

how do you think real polls are taken? Representative percentage. I think given the diversity of the fans in this forum, it's pretty representative. No game is "made" for speedrun, but I was just making a sidenote.
  • edited July 2009
    Representative percentages are generally supposed to be taken from randomized samples within the population, not "people who post in Telltale's forums about Tales of Monkey Island AND bother to vote in a poll of the best game in the series", to play devil's advocate there.
  • edited July 2009

- Not have at least a spanish localized subtitles on july 7th or a few days later...
  • edited July 2009
    What would ruin it for me? How about HAVING TO USE THE FREAKIN' KEYBOARD? That would ruin it.

Guys, you seriously need to come up with something better than this "cinematic" stuff. The less a control scheme interferes with my enjoyment of the game and puzzles, the better. Give me icons to click at the edge of the screen so I can move (Which would also make a good indicator that I could move there, btw... I was stuck in W&G until I realized I could actually move to the back part of the kitchen. That's annoying, and it's a prime example of an interface not giving me enough information to play, *and* you made me use the keyboard. What are you, French?). (Anyone who played French 3-d adventure games from the late 90's will understand that last aside... I don't think they ever even bothered with click-to-walk, it was all about the keyboard with them...)

Ok, I understand you made it easier by allowing me to drag to walk. That's good. We'll see if that makes a difference. But please, PLEASE incorporate some feedback for your "cinematic" camera shots. Give me a ghostly hotspot, a glowing arrow, an icon, SOMETHING. "Hunt the pixel" is bad enough without forcing me to play "hunt the camera dolly bounds" by poking at my keyboard. It's clunky, it's annoying, and it makes me remember Grim Fandango and MI4 in a very bad way.

I played Sam & Max together with my wife and we both loved it. She couldn't stop playing, I ended up buying the entire first season after trying the first one. We were really anticipating W&G, but then we saw the control scheme. Well, I stuck it out, but my wife balked at the first scene in W&G. Keyboard controls in adventure games SUCK, no matter what the justification. I would rather go and PAY $40 for a controller with an analog joystick than sit through another clunky, irritating keyboard-controlled adventure... so if you're going to force non-mouse-only on me, PLEASE incorporate controller support in the PC versions. Now, I'm going to give this click-and-drag thing a chance... we'll see.

Thus endeth this installment of the anti-keyboard-control rant.
  • edited July 2009
    I bet if every time I turned the game on I got punched in the face would ruin it for me.......... maybe.
  • edited July 2009
    If when I launch it for the first time it just shows a black screen with the words 'Just kidding!!' and an image of Kevin Bruner in the corner with his thumbs up...
  • edited July 2009
    Timed puzzles. I've always hated being timed on things - it makes me so nervous I can't think straight. Sometimes I get so frustrated if I slip up or run out of time I don't want to keep playing.
  • edited July 2009
    I agree.
  • edited July 2009
    I second that using the keyboard for moving Gorbush Thriftweed would be very annoying and would destroy the whole MI feeling just like EfMI did.
  • edited July 2009
    If Guybrush died and didn't come back. That would sort of ruin it for me.
  • edited July 2009
    If they had a kid it would be kind of lame.
  • edited July 2009
    It would be ruined if it has any puzzle like the one with the pirate puppets in Escape. I mean one where you know exactly what you need to do, but you can't get guybrush to do it because, if you didn't talk to all of the right people in a certain order, he just stands there wearing a dunce hat.
  • edited July 2009
    You know what would ruin it for me?

A complete lack of musical numbers.
  • edited July 2009
    Irishmile wrote: »
    If they had a kid it would be kind of lame.

YESyesyesyesyes.

Also, I fully agree with the fine Telltale folks who decided NOT to put in insult fighting of any kind till they can think of a completely different, totally awesome way to implement it. And I have faith that they will find it.

I think that to truly screw up this game, the writing would have to suck. And from the most recent video, I don't think this is a problem.
    Mataku wrote: »
    MarkDarin wrote: »
    Good news, everyone!

Am i the only one who read this in professor Farnsworth voice? :D

Nope. I too have been conditioned to think so every time I see those words.

"Good news, everyone! I’ve invented a device that makes you read this in your head - in my voice!"
  • edited July 2009
    The length of each episode been too short and control config, there the only 2 I'm a little unsure of and might ruin it for me.
  • edited July 2009
    I think it would be ruined if there wasn't at least one sex scene
  • edited July 2009

Nothing can ruin this game (I hope at least:P)... I'm sure of it TellTale can make this game perfect, if not I will challenge them for Monkey Combat! EEP EEP OOP ACK!
  • edited July 2009

Yay! I love MONKEY KOMBAT! :cool:

Wait, you were just kidding. :(
    NickTTG wrote: »

I understand your pain, everytime someone spoils some puzzle and reveals it's solution to me small part of me dies.
  • edited July 2009
    Krodge wrote: »
    "The secret of Monkey Island? What are you babbling about Guybrush, you've been in a coma since 1990."

This and..

Me being impatient and watching cutscenes or whatever on youtube before I can play it. I must have more strength, and hold back. - I saw most of Crisis Core before I even got it :(
  • edited July 2009
    What would ruin this game for me?

hmm...

Timmy the Monkey.
  • edited July 2009

Dude! You almost gave me a heart attack!
    Eek Chee Oop! It took me months to get that out of my head.... *shudders*
Sign in to comment in this discussion.