Telltale and Marvel: What would this game be about?

I'm sure all of you have heard the news that Telltale Games will be partnering with Marvel for a game series in 2017, and I'm excited. But what's it going to be about? Here are two theories in regards to setting:

1. It's based on the comic book universe
  2. It's based on the Marvel Cinematic Universe

In terms of what the game will be about, here are some considerations:

• Cloak and Dagger: One of the most underrated superhero duo's in the Marvel Universe, Telltale has some great potential for these two fan favorite characters. Whether it's an original story set in the comics, or an origin story for the Marvel Cinematic Universe, I would love to see these two heroes officially get some proper recognition outside of the comics.

• The Runaways: This fan-favorite comic series was originally going to be part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and even had a script and director. However, the production was stalled, and the success of the Avengers movie officially shelved the project. Perhaps Telltale could finish what Marvel Studios started and make a game featuring the Runaways set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

• A game not based on superheroes: We're naturally assuming we'll be playing as superheroes, but what if we were instead playing as normal people in a superhero world. This could be accomplished as either following an agent(s) of SHIELD during a major Marvel event (comic book or movie) or maybe play along the lines of Kurt Busiek's and Alex Ross's Marvels miniseries, which explores the events of the Marvel comics or movies from the eyes of a normal person.

What do you think Telltale's Marvel game should be about? Share your theories or comment on mine below.

Tagged:

Comments

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited April 2015

Since Telltale was started by a group of employees who left LucasArts after the game they were working on was unexpectedly cancelled, it would be great if it were based on Defenders of Dynatron City, which was both a LucasArts game and a Marvel comic (which are both now owned by Disney, so the licensing wouldn't be a problem).

I actually own the six issue run of the comic, and it's actually really good. Plus, it wouldn't be the first time that a Marvel comic that had a limited run was turned into something that ended up being awesome (Big Hero 6 only had a 8 issue run before it was turned into an excellent Disney animated film).

There are six defenders, so it would work really well with the multI-protaganist model used by Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead: 400 Days. I really doubt that this is the franchise that they're going to be adapting though, but it would be quite cool.

• I hope for something about the Avengers (doesn't matter what Universe)

What I think will happen: Something based on a minor comic most people have never heard of.

But no matter what it is, It will probably be good.

• I want it to be that you play as a new character enrolled in the Agents of Shield and I don't know - Something happens or it's based on their experiences around the events of 'Age of Ultron'. I don't know but having scenes about talking to Iron Man or Thor, would be amazing. Sorry, I'm really excited for this.

• I think the most obvious answer is that it will be set in the MCU and we will play the Marvel heroes in between the films. So the style will be similar to Game of Thrones.

I think one of the main reasons why Telltale partnered with Marvel to make a game was to benefit from its massive audience. What helped make Marvel so mainstream was the MCU so I just don't see Telltale opting for the comic-verse over the MCU. It's probably the same reason why they opted to follow the Game of Thrones TV show over the books. The TV show was the one that helped the series reach its insane level of popularity (yes it was popular before but not as much). So it made sense for Telltale to want to appeal to the majority.

I also see us playing as the super heroes. Playing as a citizen may be interesting but it seems underwhelming, especially in a world where so many people have powers.

As for the story, I think it will be an Avengers story with what happens with different membders of the Avengers in between the films. With the Civil War coming up, there's possibly a lot Telltale can do.

As for the style of the story, I think it will lean more closer to Tales from the Borderlands than The Walking Dead/Game of Thrones. The MCU isn't designed to be dark and serious.

What I'm wondering is if Telltale will introduce new mechanics in the game because I don't like a super hero game where everything is a dialogue tree and a quick time event.

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited April 2015

I think one of the main reasons why Telltale partnered with Marvel to make a game was to benefit from its massive audience. What helped make Marvel so mainstream was the MCU so I just don't see Telltale opting for the comic-verse over the MCU. It's probably the same reason why they opted to follow the Game of Thrones TV show over the books.

Yeah, but they did opt for adapting the Walking Dead comics over the more popular TV show. Obviously the Marvel games are just begging for Telltale to use the comic art style, but it's honestly a possibility they could either do the movies or the comics.

JetLee posted: »

I think the most obvious answer is that it will be set in the MCU and we will play the Marvel heroes in between the films. So the style will

• You do have a point on the game being set in the MCU, but knowing Telltale, I think it would make sense that the story would follow original characters set during the events of the MCU. I am hoping for probably featuring the Runaways or Cloak and Dagger, but I'll be fine with whatever they do. And yeah there has to be a new mechanic introduced. Who wants a superhero game with nothing but QTE's?

I think the most obvious answer is that it will be set in the MCU and we will play the Marvel heroes in between the films. So the style will

• edited April 2015

But Telltale got licenses for The Walking Dead in February 2011. That was before the TV show became the massive juggernaut it is today. In comparison when they got licenses for Game of Thrones, the TV show was already a juggernaut so it seemed to make sense why they would opt to adapt it over the books. So while I agree Telltale can do either the comics or films for their upcoming Marvel game, I think it's more likely that they'll pick the films.

I think one of the main reasons why Telltale partnered with Marvel to make a game was to benefit from its massive audience. What helped make

• True, true. However, the comics are still a pretty big deal for some people - coming from me, who only watches the movies. I'm with you in that Telltale will probably have the story take place in the MCU (with my guess, having a comic art style). I'm just saying it's more possible than some might think.

But Telltale got licenses for The Walking Dead in February 2011. That was before the TV show became the massive juggernaut it is today. In c

• Also, the comic book fanbase is very big. Granted, not as big as the film industry but still huge enough to where Telltale can make it set in that the comic book universe and not lose massive sales over it compared to if they made in the film universe.

True, true. However, the comics are still a pretty big deal for some people - coming from me, who only watches the movies. I'm with you in t

• Yeah, that's what I was trying to insinuate but you phrased it better than I did.

Also, the comic book fanbase is very big. Granted, not as big as the film industry but still huge enough to where Telltale can make it set i

• I am thinking a little bit more about these ideas and come up with a few conditions that Telltale will most likely stick to.

1. It will most likely be set in the the MCU due to the fact that it is more mainstream and has a larger audience. (It will still use the comic book style).
    2. It will most likely follow comic characters that are either unheard of or haven't gained that much attention.
    3. It will most likely be T. (Because every MCU movies are PG-13 and the comics are usually categorized as Teen).

In terms of what they'll adapt, these are my top choices; either Cloak and Dagger or the Runaways.

• Considering that this game will be released around 2017, it will probably safe to assume that this game will probably be set after the events of Captain America: Civil War and may take place during Guardians of the Galaxy 2, the new Spider-man movie, or Thor: Ragnorak. In fact, if it takes place during Guardians of the Galaxy 2, I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to tell a story involving Nova.

• I'm expecting you play as an agent of shield and see how the agents see superheroes

• What do you mean they chose to adapt the show over the books? The Forresters are only in the books :P. Their story is canon to the books

But Telltale got licenses for The Walking Dead in February 2011. That was before the TV show became the massive juggernaut it is today. In c

• edited April 2015

Just because the Forresters haven't been mentioned in the show doesn't mean they don't exist in that continuity.

But I mean they follow the continuity of the TV show as everything is designed eactly like the TV show (even the voice actors). Above all this, Telltale even said so themself that the Game of Thrones game was set between Season 3 and Season 4. They didn't reference the books in regards to continuity.

What do you mean they chose to adapt the show over the books? The Forresters are only in the books :P. Their story is canon to the books

• edited April 2015

They still have to follow the Forrester story in the books

Just because the Forresters haven't been mentioned in the show doesn't mean they don't exist in that continuity. But I mean they follow t

• Evidence?

Since the TV show is already starting to deviate from the books I can see the Forrester storyline deviating as well. Then again I don't see how there's a Forrester storyline in the books anyway. Didn't they jsut get a passing reference in one of the books?

• The TV show isn't canon to the books, which means the Forrester's story doesn't have to be the same. Granted, Telltale could do the semi-logical thing and make the story continue in Season 2 in relations to the only other piece of material the Forresters are apart of. Or they could do whatever they want with the Forresters at this season finale and have Season 2 follow a different story. Either way, they don't have to follow the Forrester story that occurs in the books.

• CrazyGeorgeCrazyGeorge Banned
    edited April 2015

How many "marvel" games are they planning to make. ARE WE EVER GOING TO SEE WOLF AMONG US? JUST SAY YES OR NO.

• No, and I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel ends up getting signed on for multiple seasons like Walking Dead and Game of Thrones have

CrazyGeorge posted: »

How many "marvel" games are they planning to make. ARE WE EVER GOING TO SEE WOLF AMONG US? JUST SAY YES OR NO.

• edited April 2015

I've had a really good idea for an MCU Marvel game lately, though it happens to involve spoilers for the conclusion to Age of Ultron (which has yet to air everywhere) so I'll stick a Spoiler tag up.

Marvel's New Avengers: Sentry

Now this one is MCU based and concerns elements of the ending to A: AOU. There we saw that after Ultron's defeat the Avengers split into their own paths - Thor is returning to Asgard after being troubled by the visions he saw (which will no doubt be revealed in Thor: Ragnarok), Hulk is AWOL and Tony Stark is taking a step back once more. But the ending saw a 'new' Avengers facility being established and a new team of heroes at its centre - Captain America, Black Widow, Vision, Scarlet Witch, Falcon and War Machine. Now personally I think that team of heroes is awesome and given the fact that all save Cap haven't had their 'own' movies, ripe for a focus in game form.

Bearing in mind of course that by 2017 we will have had both Civil War and Doctor Strange, things might shift with that line up, but that might also provide some interesting plot opportunities. So let's assume that an element from the comics comes through and Bucky returns and becomes the new Cap after Civil War, whether Steve is killed or maybe imprisoned. With that you have a team of interesting characters for focus - two black heroes, two female heroes, an AI turned machine and a broken man from times past. In short, you have the New Avengers. Any of which would make for fun characters to play as (including all of them) over five to six episodes.

But what crisis or threat could they face? How about Rob Reynolds - aka the Sentry? In the comics the Sentry was a Superman like empowered hero whose origins had been mystified due to numerous events, to the extent that no one remembered he'd been around for many years. Clearly that origin would likely shift here, but they can retain the core concepts of a man troubled by memories and feared of a dark power deep inside of him... the Void. Robert represents a possible Hulk level threat to a world already affected by the events of the MCU Civil War, and the New Avengers know they will need to handle things tactfully. Unfortunately other forces see Reynolds differently... enter the return of AIM!

MODOK. Let's face it, this character would be different to realise on screen, but he is a great threat and villain in the comics. A game which also works to tell the MCU origins and emergence of this intellectual villain and mobile organism designed only for killing. He's therefore a good choice for the game's main antagonist with Telltale being able to bring him to life. There'd be other villains as well, but the story is mainly about the New Avengers stopping MODOK from capturing the unbalanced Sentry and risking unleashing the power of the Void onto the world.

Plus a logical Guest Spot after his movie would be Cumberbatch's Doctor Strange, attempting to help the New Avengers with reconditioning Rob's mind (Actually if they made Strange a New Avenger that would be awesome.) The core issue with this concept is getting all the cast together and having time to do it - Scarlet especially. But it would be a heck of a game if they could!

• I did think that an Agents of SHIELD game where you play as the main characters or a new addition working alongside them would be a logical one. Likely would be the case that it would be a post Civil War game though rather than Age of Ultron

HarjKS posted: »

I want it to be that you play as a new character enrolled in the Agents of Shield and I don't know - Something happens or it's based on thei

• The main advantage of using the comic versions than the movies is that you have more flexibility with characters appearing. If Telltale was doing a Daredevil game for example either with the MCU version or one based on the recent Mark Waid run, the latter might be able to have She Hulk guest star in an episode, but that would be much harder in the MCU version.

• I would be down with a Nova game, though I'd prefer Richard Rider instead of Sam Alexander.

gamertale posted: »

Considering that this game will be released around 2017, it will probably safe to assume that this game will probably be set after the event

• That is unfortunate. I wanted to find out the truth about faith.

No, and I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel ends up getting signed on for multiple seasons like Walking Dead and Game of Thrones have

• So far, it sounds like they've signed on for one Season. I think they usually announce if they signed up for multiple Seasons up front?

CrazyGeorge posted: »

That is unfortunate. I wanted to find out the truth about faith.

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited April 2015

It's hard to say at this point, as we've only been given a tease as to the fact that the partnership exists. They have always announced whether they have multiple seasons in the press releases right from the start, but we haven't even been given a press release yet, since it hasn't even been announced exactly what the partnership between the companies entails.

We'll probably know for sure next year, as these years in advance announcements are really uncommon for Telltale (even pre-2012 Telltale only had it happen once in 2010, when the Universal games were still being developed, and games based on The Walking Dead and Fables were announced years ahead of release).

So far, it sounds like they've signed on for one Season. I think they usually announce if they signed up for multiple Seasons up front?

• Interesting idea here. I'm not a fan of IGN but I thought this was certainly a good idea -

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/30/why-telltale-should-adapt-marvels-moon-knight

• I do wonder if IGN knows something we don't since they were suggesting a Telltale game option for Avengers mere days before the announcement, and then I also gather a while back the man in charge of Marvel's Game Division was highlighting as possible game projects to include Daredevil, Marvel Noir, Spider Verse and Moon Knight. So this one seems believable, and Moon Knight does have a decent cult following and would be relatively easy to adapt in a game (multiple personalities withstanding).

Interesting idea here. I'm not a fan of IGN but I thought this was certainly a good idea - http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/30/why-telltale-should-adapt-marvels-moon-knight

• As an avid Moon Knight fan, he is perfect for a TTG game. He deserves a game (he deserves a show/movie cameo but that may not happen). He is one of the more underappreciated heroes in the Marvel universe and if this gets done, I would be on cloud 9. If anyone hasn't read about Moon Knight, wiki him and then buy his latest run of comics...enjoy!

I do wonder if IGN knows something we don't since they were suggesting a Telltale game option for Avengers mere days before the announcement

• And yeah there has to be a new mechanic introduced. Who wants a superhero game with nothing but QTE's?

QTE's are kinda Telltale's style. Just because they use a new genre doesn't mean there will be an absolute change in mechanics. That's like saying in Tales from the Borderlands before it came out "There has to be a new mechanic introduced. Who wants a shooter game with nothing but QTE's?"

You do have a point on the game being set in the MCU, but knowing Telltale, I think it would make sense that the story would follow original

• Yeah, that's true. I guess what I'm saying is that alongside the QTE's, there should be a new mechanic that would make it more unique. For example, Tales from the Borderlands has a scanning system to get some cool information and a currency system. I guess most likely, it would have to be via the story, just like how Borderlands has two people trying to tell the same story or Game of Thrones switches between 4 different perspectives in 4 different locations.

And yeah there has to be a new mechanic introduced. Who wants a superhero game with nothing but QTE's? QTE's are kinda Telltale's st

• True, I bet they will add something.

Yeah, that's true. I guess what I'm saying is that alongside the QTE's, there should be a new mechanic that would make it more unique. For e

• edited May 2015

Thread: Telltales Marvel Partnership should Be About...

This new Team up has given me MANY Ideas on what it should be about, The best possible choices for me are...

The Nickelodeon TV Show "Iron Man: Armored Adventures:

Reasons it should Be:

• It Already Has a (Kinda) Cel-Shaded Animation style.
    • It has a Perfect Story and Set-up, with Plenty of Twists and Turns.
    • There are 3 Main Heroes (Iron Man, War Machine and Rescue) So a GoT gamestyle would be perfect.
    • The show is so Gripping, Dealing with Dating, Death, Revenge, and Most importantly for This Game, Superheroes!

Alt text

Alt text

Alt text

Secret Wars Comic Arc:

Reasons it should be:

• There is Literally almost the Entire Marvel Universe Involved. (X-Men, Avengers, Spider-Man, The Fantastic Four, Etc.)
    • It has Multiple Parts of the Story for each Hero, Meaning it could go: Episode 1: Avengers. Episode 2: X-Men, and so on and so forth.
    • It is One of the Most Gripping and Interesting Arc's in Marvel Comics History. IMO

Alt text

Alt text

and My Final Suggestion, The Peter Parker Ultimate Spider-Man Comics

Reasons it should be:

• A Dark, Gripping, Batman Esc Story about Peter Parker and His journey as Spider-man.
    • There is Plenty of Cursing, Even F-bombs, so they can stick to their TWD style Routes.
    • It's ALSO Cel-Shaded, Like, more than regular Marvel Comics.
    • It already has a Very Successful Video Game, so it will fit in. XD

Alt text

Alt text

Alt text

Do you have any suggestions for a Good Franchise for them to use? Comment Below!

• Cope49Cope49 Banned

Nothing at the moment. I know I don't wanna see any of those made into a TellTale game.

• edited May 2015

Yeah, Everyone has their own opinion, and while I don't agree, You have a right to be entitled to it. But if it's just because you might be upset telltale won't be focusing on the great games, They said the only two they're working on at the moment are TFTBL and GoT, so TWD and those two are still safe, But anywho, it's your opinion.

Cope49 posted: »

Nothing at the moment. I know I don't wanna see any of those made into a TellTale game.

• Lmao. Every comment I see from you is always negative.

Cope49 posted: »

• I'm really like to see a game based off of the upcoming Civil War storyline, but since that movie comes out in 2016 and not 2017, I'm guessing it won't be relevant enough for Telltale to make a game about?

• I see the same Kinda thing from Baldex, Not everyone is positive dude.

TDMshadowCP posted: »

Lmao. Every comment I see from you is always negative.

• Cope49Cope49 Banned

I wasn't being negative .I just giving my honest opinion and that is all. He understands that but half of these other "members " cannot.

TDMshadowCP posted: »

Lmao. Every comment I see from you is always negative.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.