Would you like to see a Monkey Island Cartoon series?

I saw on the Telltales Site that they sell Sam & Max cartoon series, and i was wondering what other people opinion is,if they make a cartoon series of Monkey Island,BUT not making it a kids show,but aiming it at an older audience?

do you think its a good idea?

Comments

• edited July 2009
    Voted no becasue I want all good gags and plotlines to be used in years and years of TTG MI Seasons!

I like to think of the games as inteactive cartoons anyway.
  • edited July 2009
    YES.

That's my simple answer to that. :D

Well, I would definitely watch it and buy DVDs of all the episodes, but I don't know how popular it would be within the whole world. But you never know. It'd be cool if one season was made and then broadcast on TV. They could see how popular that turns out to be, and if it's a hit then more episodes could be made.

Besides, it'd be completely different to a lot of adult cartoons these days. Most animated shows aimed at adults are about friends/family in everyday environments (e.g. The Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park) so a cartoon about pirates aimed at adults would be original.
  • edited July 2009
    No opinion, really. Doesn't seem necessary, I suppose. I do think MI needs to tell big stories (hence the more serial nature of Tales), so I'm not sure a cartoon series would work all that well. It's also difficult to see how it could be marketed...
  • edited July 2009
    Yes! I would love a cartoon! The MI universe is perfect for that.
  • edited July 2009
    depends on who's doing it, but yhea, that would be nice.
  • edited July 2009
    I personally don't see Monkey Island as something that could have random stories. Sam & Max works because that's what they're all about. They solve random crimes and pummel random criminals when randomly called upon to do so. It's the perfect candidate. Monkey Island is more like a coherent collection of connected epic large-scale stories. I don't think it would work well with the randomness of a weekly Saturday morning cartoon scenario. Even TMI isn't a season of episodes so much as chapters of a full game. I'd rather have a movie. Made by Ron Gilbert. Revealing The Secret(tm). Or nothing at all.
  • edited July 2009
    If it plays as well as the Sam & Max animated series did, I'd be all for it.
  • edited July 2009
    I really don't know how to vote on this issue...
  • edited July 2009
    Kind of a mix bag with this one.
  • edited July 2009
    no need for that
  • edited July 2009
    Ehhh. The writing quality would probably degrade with the writers having to come up with new puns to fill out a 24 episode season and only have 10 episodes worth of material.

A no schedule - whenever the joke comes to you - style webcomic would rule, though.
  • edited July 2009
    Why not? I am not sure if I would need it, read it or like it, but then, other people surely do.
  • edited July 2009
    LeChuck would decay as a villain rapidly. :/

More inclined for an animated or CGI movie than a cartoon.
  • edited July 2009
    "I'll get you next time, Guybrush. Next time!"
  • edited July 2009
    Scapetti wrote: »
    "I'll get you next time, Guybrush. Next time!"
    Exactly. Think Team Rocket of Poke'mon.
  • edited July 2009
    PariahKing wrote: »
    More inclined for an animated or CGI movie than a cartoon.

Same here.
  • edited July 2009
    Monkey Island would even translate well as a CGI movie - Tales is a 3d video game!
  • edited July 2009
    Nope... I don't like the idea of a MI cartoon at all, to be honest - I think movies could suit the setting.
  • edited July 2009
    In all honesty the Sam and Max cartoons were the most watered down pieces of @#$! that they weren't even really worth watching... and Sam and Max didn't start as an adventure game.

Besides what would be the point, it'd be like watching someone else play a MI game, no puzzles to solve and every week LeChuck will have a new dastardly scheme.
  • edited July 2009
    Unless they did it kind of like an episodic show. ;) Think LOST or Fringe style.

I can't remember off the tip of my tongue if any American cartoons have done that yet.
  • edited July 2009
    YES!! i would LOVE a cartoon series but ONLY if they got Dominic Armato for the voice of guybrush xD
  • edited April 2010
    well i couldnt find the recent post on this topic,so ill i thought ill post it again in my old thread, but i saw this short french cartoon and it appeared in the game Heavy Rain, but when i first saw this i thought, it looks like Monkey Island, and it looks like Curse style animation, but check out the video and see what you think

http://www.pyrats.net/movie.html
  • edited April 2010
    Wolfstar27 wrote: »
    well i couldnt find the recent post on this topic,so ill i thought ill post it again in my old thread, but i saw this short french cartoon and it appeared in the game Heavy Rain, but when i first saw this i thought, it looks like Monkey Island, and it looks like Curse style animation, but check out the video and see what you think

I like it.
  • edited April 2010
    That Pyrats movie is AWESOME!.... Lucasarts should hire them to make a MI movie.
  • edited April 2010
    no, because every video game cartoon I have ever watched stunk. *shudder shudder*. Ever watch the mega man cartoon? It made me stupider.
  • edited April 2010
  • edited April 2010
    ....The dance....it haunts me....Damn you Mario!!
  • edited April 2010
    no, because every video game cartoon I have ever watched stunk. *shudder shudder*.

Wrong

Earthworm Jim - ace
    Sonic (SATAM and Sonic X) - ace
    Mario Bros 3 - ace
    Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiego - ace
  • edited April 2010
    A lot of people seem to like the Pokemon cartoon as well... that was a game first.
  • edited April 2010
    It would generate some amazing You Tube Poops.
  • edited April 2010

That takes Disney off the list. Which other major studio still does 2D animation?
  • edited April 2010
    well only ones i can think of are Japanese Anime studios, but Dreamworks might be able to have a crack at it, although Steven Speilberg did atempt a Monkey Island movie in the first place, (for people who dont know,Speilberg owns dreamworks)
  • edited April 2010
    I personally don't see Monkey Island as something that could have random stories.

Really? I think it'd would just find. I mean, surely Guybrush has gone on smaller adventures, in search for less important treasures and fought lesser enemies than LeChuck. An animated series would be almost perfect for showing these adventures. Plus, they could create an overall story arc for the season anyway, or just make two or three-part episodes.
  • edited April 2010
    Hayden wrote: »
    Really? I think it'd would just find. I mean, surely Guybrush has gone on smaller adventures, in search for less important treasures
    Small Whoop?
  • edited April 2010
    i don't like the sam&max cartoon from fox that much, too childish, strange voices, where's this useless geek-girl coming from and so on, so no.

if they'd stick exactly to the franchise... maybe.. but if they rape it like sam&max.. no...
  • edited April 2010
    Sam in the cartoon series was played by the same actor who was King Koopa in the Mario cartoons.
  • edited April 2010
    I think yeah it could work, (if it's done well) think like Majus' animations are really awesome, it would be like that.... but longer... I guess...
  • edited April 2010
    Although i like Majus's "i wonder happens" series, no disrespect to the guy, but i dont think the animation would be taken seriously in a mainstream audience, cause at the end of the day it wont be just us fans watching the series,it will be opening the series to a new audience who have never heard of Monkey Island and hopefully bring in a new generation to the series like what tales and the special editions are doing,so it needs to be a strong series, and id pefer to see Monkey Island did in similar animation as that Pyrats video

• edited April 2010
    I'd probably give it a go, but personally I voted now because I'd just see that as ruining the MI franchise, turning it into a cash cow.

Sam & Max I believe were a cartoon and comic series before the game was developed, whereas as far as I'm aware Monkey Island wasn't - it got its fan base via being a game, as opposed to S&M which was already pretty successful, and the gaming aspect of that franchise only helped launch it to a new audience - that's how I got into it.

So, to sum up, while I said I'd give it a go I really wouldn't want it to happen in the first place. No point overkilling it IMO.

That said, IWWHI was a great series to accompany the games, and they always made me chuckle so maybe it wouldn't be as bad as I'm currently imagining.
  • edited April 2010
    Although i like Majus's "i wonder happens" series, no disrespect to the guy, but i dont think the animation would be taken seriously in a mainstream audience, cause at the end of the day it wont be just us fans watching the series,it will be opening the series to a new audience who have never heard of Monkey Island and hopefully bring in a new generation to the series like what tales and the special editions are doing,so it needs to be a strong series, and id pefer to see Monkey Island did in similar animation as that Pyrats video

It's called traditional animation. But for a TV series, the only way to go is limited animation.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8jKPr4y_4&feature=related
Sign in to comment in this discussion.