Germans love ToMi!!!

i love it

Comments

• edited July 2009
    realchris wrote: »
    Not all Germans are stupid.
    I'd even go so far as to say most Germans are not stupid. :)
  • edited July 2009
    realchris wrote:
    Please make a german version!!! Not all Germans are stupid.

Well, English is not my language, but personaly I can't imagine Monkey Island translated to polish (which is my national language). All those games are so full of English-only jokes, that traslating it is near to a crime...
    (and for Germans not beeing stupid - let's just mention Zak McKraken 2 made by German fans - it's a creation of a genius, can't wait for English version)
  • edited July 2009
    There are many german Guys who love Tales of Monkey Island
    and all the other Telltale Stuff... so let`s go and find a Pubslisher :cool:
  • edited July 2009
  • edited July 2009
    Ehm... Hier? Hier! Ich! ICH!

I don't know why but I just have to spell out the names of the best adventures (in my opinion) that came from german developers in the last couple of years:

Jack Keane (Deck 13)
    Ankh (with all of the Sequels, also Deck 13)
    Book of unwritten Tales (King Art)
    Zack McKracken 2 - Between Time and Space (Independent Game - it's free!)
    Broken Sword 2.5 (Independant Game - also for free!)

...and there are plenty more good ones I haven't played yet. So if you thought the adventure genre was pretty dead until ToMI and MI:SE showed up, you've just been on the wrong side of the atlantic ;)
  • edited July 2009
    Ok,
    so I am German. So some things here:

What does it matter where some people come from? There are idiots everywhere in the world who don't know a great game when they play it, even less hear about it.

I thought that Zak 2 wasn't a great game at all. Ok, for a fan game the story was decent, but it was very slow-paced, and the jokes were not funny at all as far as I can remember.

And: Why do a German translation of Monkey Island? As someone already said, some jokes/dialogues just cannot be translated without losing something along the way. So let all the world play the game in English. Everybody learns English at school nowadays, so what is the problem?
    (Of course, I think my opinion is slightly biased as I am an English teacher..., and I would LOVE it if people here read more English novels, watch more films on DVD in English, and played more English computer games...I tell my pupils all the time: When you play PSP at home or WII, set the language to English at least, in order to have a learning experience.
    Isn't that great? Having fun playing games AND being able to tell your parents it's to learn English? :) )

Kord
  • edited July 2009
    [quote=[Hunter.Wolf]]...and there are plenty more good ones I haven't played yet. So if you thought the adventure genre was pretty dead until ToMI and MI:SE showed up, you've just been on the wrong side of the atlantic[/quote]

No mention that German developers support many foreign projects (such as A Vampyre Story). I'm really jaelous about German adventure fans community...

[quote=[Hunter.Wolf]]Broken Sword 2.5 (Independant Game - also for free!)[/quote]

Does it happen to have an English version?
    Kord wrote:
    (Of course, I think my opinion is slightly biased as I am an English teacher..., and I would LOVE it if people here read more English novels, watch more films on DVD in English, and played more English computer games...I tell my pupils all the time: When you play PSP at home or WII, set the language to English at least, in order to have a learning experience.

That's the way I've learned most of my English. My best teachers were Guybrush, Indy, Many Calavera and some more fellas you probably know : )
  • edited July 2009
    Haggis wrote: »
    I'd even go so far as to say most Germans are not stupid. :)
    Yes! Most of them play ego-shooter and other stuff than adventure games. :rolleyes: :D

@Novotnus
    Yes. The fez joke from Atlantis is big crap in the German version!

@Kord
    Zak 2 is bad?
    There are people everywhere in the world who don't know a great game when they play it, even less hear about it.
    Yes you don´t know. :D I think it´s good! And that for a fanmade game.

Eer changed your quote a bit. :)
  • edited July 2009
    Germans suck.
  • edited July 2009
    Jack Keane (Deck 13)
    Ankh (with all of the Sequels, also Deck 13)
    Book of unwritten Tales (King Art)
    Zack McKracken 2 - Between Time and Space (Independent Game - it's free!)
    Broken Sword 2.5 (Independant Game - also for free!)

The Moment of Silence
    Secret Files: Tunguska
    Secret Files 2: Puritas Cordis
    So Blonde

Damn, there are so many :eek:
  • edited July 2009
    Novotnus wrote:
    Does it happen to have an English version?
    They say on their website http://www.brokensword25.com/ it is coming soon, most of the english lines are already recorded.

Sorry that I'm writing in german now. It's 00:34 AM here - im too tired to translate all that now.

@Kord:
    Ja, man lernt heutzutage Englisch in der Schule.
    Ich gehe nach den Sommerferien auf die 4. Oberstufe und spreche aus Erfahrung.
    Grundverständnis für die Englische Sprache wird einem vermittelt, sogar noch etwas darüber hinaus. Aber wenn ich mir nicht selbst jeden Tag englische Videos anschauen würde, mich in englischsprachigen Foren und Webseiten herumtreiben würde, dann hätte ich zwar kein Problem ein Monkey Island auf englisch grundlegend zu verstehen (Was muss ich ungefähr machen?) aber im Detail würde ich es nicht verstehen.
    Als die ersten Sam&Max Folgen rauskamen hab ich die Demo immer gespielt und nur selten gelacht und oft gedacht "Da war jetzt sicher ein Witz, aber ganz mitbekommen hab ich den jetzt nicht". Inzwischen verstehe ich schon um einiges mehr was sich die zwei gegenseitig an den Kopf werfen und muss viel öfter lachen. Aber zum Beispiel dieses dahergemurmel von Sam welches er immer nach den Anrufen des Commisioners ablässt, bringt mich immer noch zum Haareraufen.

Was ich meine ist: Ungefähr verstehen würden es die meißten vielleicht sogar - aber ich vermute mal dass diesen Leuten mehr Witze entgehen wenn sie die englische Version spielen, als wenn sie eine lokalisierte Version in der Hand hätten, in der zwar ein paar Witze nicht übersetzt werden konnten, aber den rest dafür verstehen können.

Und hier in diesem englischsprachigem Forum werden sich sowieso nur Leute herumtollen die es sich auch zutrauen ihr Englisch halbwegs verständlich rüber zu bringen - insofern sollte man sich nicht auf die deutschsprachigen User hier im Forum berufen. (So zahlreich sie auch sein mögen ;) )

Edit: Its sunday now. Let's roughly translate my point.

Yes, you do learn english in school nowadays. But it isn't enough to get most of the jokes. I watch DVDs, Movies in english all the time, spend time in forums like this one, etc. And still I don't get every joke in the english Sam&Max episodes. Often i recognize that something is meant to funny, but I dont know a vocabulary of that sentence and as a result I don't get it.
    What I mean is, I think that regular german people will get more jokes when they play a lokalised version of the game that is missing some of the original jokes. When they play the original version, they will get less of the jokes (even if it version contains more jokes).

I hope I'm not too confusing...
  • edited July 2009
    you're right. i just finished s&m season 1 a few hours ago, and the main problem for me was not the "understanding" of meanings (of sentences/conversations) in particular, it's just the fact that there were a a lot of words i simply don't know the meaning off.

thank god for websites like dict.cc, where i can retaliate these words, it helps a lot.

:D

@Kord (Why do a German translation of Monkey Island?)
    Boris Schneider did a good job on MI1 and MI2. He even replaced "untranslatable" or "not-so-funny"-jokes with completely new ones (software-piracy joke anyone?)

I'm not sure if todays translators do their job with the same enthusiasm as back then, but translations don't always have to be worse than the original... (okay, jowood fucked up some things in s&m season one, but all in all they did a good job, didn't they?)
  • edited July 2009
    Cyphox wrote: »
    Boris Schneider did a good job on MI1 and MI2. He even replaced "untranslatable" or "not-so-funny"-jokes with completely new ones (software-piracy joke anyone?)
    The joke from Gybrush about his name in MI 2 on the library card in the German version is much better than the English one. The English one is not a real joke I´d say!!

@Kord
    Yes, I must say I often play the English versions of MM, Zak, MI 1, MI 2, Indy 4 (Talkie), Dott (much, much, much... very better than the German stupid version!) and Sam and Max. The others nerly everytime in German. Full Throttle, Loom and so one. Cuz I love English speaking and reading. Especially S&M and Dott. :D Oh and The Dig. Cuz my German CD is broken. :D
    MI 3 and 4 are the only LA adventure games I haven´t in English yet.
  • edited July 2009
    [quote=[Hunter.Wolf]]They say on their website http://www.brokensword25.com/ it is coming soon, most of the english lines are already recorded.[/quote]

Nice, I'll give it a try (subtitles are good enough for me. Thanks for this one.
    Cyphox wrote:

Last game I've seen localized nicely to Polish was Larry 7 (sometime back in 90-ties).
    For my own pleasure I tried to translate MI3 rhyming insults and quickly came to conclusion, that the lines would have to be completly alerted to keep them funny, rhyming and fitting each other.
    I don't mind people having translated games, it's just I would rather have them in their oryginal version.
  • edited July 2009
    I quess some of them sending marketingtrolls to any adventuresite in germany. Thats only a marketingwar.
    Senseless talking, stopp yourself.
    Not all Germans are stupid.
    But you are definitely
  • edited July 2009
    Is it just me, or is the TOMI forum starting to reek of bratwurst?
  • edited July 2009
    Wer anderen eine Bratwurst brät, hat meist ein Bratwurstbratgerät! :D

Yeah, there are a lot of german folks around here.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Kord wrote: »
    And: Why do a German translation of Monkey Island? As someone already said, some jokes/dialogues just cannot be translated without losing something along the way. So let all the world play the game in English. Everybody learns English at school nowadays, so what is the problem?
    Isn't that great? Having fun playing games AND being able to tell your parents it's to learn English? :) )

Kord

That misses the point of localisation entirely. Translating a product like this is meant to facilitate access of the potential target group in a given country, thus enhancing sales. If one is proficient enough in the original language of the game, chances are that one would prefer a non-localized version. A university-level English education, like I myself and a lot of my friends share, or a few years abroad, might do the trick. But, being an English teacher, you should well know that 90% of the jokes cracked in "Monkey Island" would be lost on German crowds with school English. It's something you might want to attempt in a Leistungskurs, grades 11 to 13. Yet that won't be the only target group TTG would aim at. And you just can't play such a game with a dictionary at hand!

I'm for choice - and that means, for a decent translation. Parts of the game might make for an interesting experimental object of study in schools; to just plain "learn English with it", the language must be considered far to elaborated.

See Hunter.Wolf's, Cyphox' comments for this. ;)

Naturally. It's adventure games, we're obviously mad enough about them to even nourish local game developers with their naturally limited German target group, it's only logical that Germans end up right here, where there's more!!

That bratwurst-quote is pretty intranslatible, unfortunately. It's brilliant nonetheless. ;)
  • edited July 2009
    :-)
  • edited July 2009
    Sauerkraut wrote: »
    I quess some of them sending marketingtrolls to any adventuresite in germany. Thats only a marketingwar.
    Senseless talking, stopp yourself.

But you are definitely
    Q.E.D.
    Last time I checked Austria wasn't part of Germany. ;)

I'd say that makes for a lot of German speaking folks around here...

np: The Cult Of The 13th Hour - Wickedness (Soul Jazz Records Singles 2008-2009 (Disc 3))
  • edited July 2009
    Germans suck.

Yes we do.;)
  • edited July 2009

Well the most adventure games this days come from Germany or France. Why so few French here?
    Well and now much adventure games from East Europe.
    :D
  • edited July 2009
    Yeah sorry, I don't give a shit if I'm playing a game if it's fanmade or not. I'm not giving handicap when I try to enjoy stuff; "Oh, but Ringo was drunk when he wrote that song- and with a slight headache".

And about germans, those I have met have been the nicest of people- althought a bit thick and w/o taste. That's like the only thing you can hold against germans- their taste is absolutely the worst ever. They have no concept at all.

Don't believe me? Just pick any commercial you want to, that's really cheezy and just outright bad. It's from Germany. Then turn on your TV. What's on? America's got talent? Ok. WTF? David Hasselhoff? How can such a worthless POC no-talent be so famous? Oh, he hit big in Germany? Germany is the asshole of the european culture.
  • edited July 2009
    Leak wrote: »
    Last time I checked Austria wasn't part of Germany. ;)

I'd say that makes for a lot of German speaking folks around here...

Agreed, but I don't think I'm misstaken, if I say that there are more german than austrian people here.

Greetings from Innsbruck to Linz^^
    der ketzer wrote:
    Germans suck.
    Yes we do.

Of course. Wait... I'm not german.
  • edited July 2009
    what's with the Germans like this or hate this threads?
  • edited July 2009
    And about germans, those I have met have been the nicest of people- althought a bit thick and w/o taste. That's like the only thing you can hold against germans- their taste is absolutely the worst ever. They have no concept at all.

Don't believe me? Just pick any commercial you want to, that's really cheezy and just outright bad. It's from Germany. Then turn on your TV. What's on? America's got talent? Ok. WTF? David Hasselhoff? How can such a worthless POC no-talent be so famous? Oh, he hit big in Germany? Germany is the asshole of the european culture.
    Ouch, taking commercial TV as indicator of taste is definitely bound to fail, sorry, wrong conclusion!
    I have yet too see any commercial tv which shows good taste and quality, they always go for the lowest legally possible!
  • edited July 2009
    werpu wrote: »
    Ouch, taking commercial TV as indicator of taste is definitely bound to fail, sorry, wrong conclusion!
    I have yet too see any commercial tv which shows good taste and quality, they always go for the lowest legally possible!

Lol, commercials can be good. German commercials are tasteless and absolutely at the bottom of the barrel. Riesen, Merci and chocolate pudding which just eluded me. Absolutely without a doubt the worst produced. All german. Sorry man, I have nothing against germans- I love'em. But it's like it is, their taste is beyond horrible.

That kind of techno made popular because of germans. Techno is good, german techno is just me picturing two middleaged fat germans humping like rabbits while yodeling.
  • edited July 2009
    Oh yea, can you eat less sausages please? Tasteless food asw. just saying: very, very low cultural standards.
  • edited July 2009

Aw, c'mon! Winetou was fun! And David Hasselhoff isn't a German invention (BTW, I guess it was so popular becouse blonde with big brest around him - I can agree they don't have good taste for a women)...
    And their culture produced some nice things - like Wagner, Munch, Nietzsche just to note few.
  • edited July 2009
    That kind of techno made popular because of germans. Techno is good, german techno is just me picturing two middleaged fat germans humping like rabbits while yodeling.
    *cough*

np: Masha Qrella - Wanderin Star (Speaklow (Loewe And Weill In Exile))
  • edited July 2009
    Novotnus wrote: »
    Aw, c'mon! Winetou was fun! And David Hasselhoff isn't a German invention (BTW, I guess it was so popular becouse blonde with big brest around him - I can agree they don't have good taste for a women)...
    And their culture produced some nice things - like Wagner, Munch, Nietzsche just to note few.

Baywatch would have died and Hasselhoff with it. It was cancelled in USA, but the support from germans brought it up again and it became a bestseller. Since then we've had to endure Hasselhoff rapping. They will never be forgiven!

When you do a lot of crap, some good things are bound to come out of it.

I really like germans though, cannot stress this enough! But the taste. OMG the taste!
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Lord god, here we are.

Someone posting a stereotype about his own country, and eventually someone chimes in to dump even more stereotypes on people. Self-fulfilling prophecies and all, "Germans have no taste, you got to admit that" is about as low as it gets. Aaaand we're back at David Hasselhoff - an issue dated by about 20 years. In a second we're discussing who voted Republican in 2000 just to get the taste issue in a different direction. Mistaking opinions of individual citizens of a given country for something the whole country shares is a grave mistake, and there's really no need to discuss issues arising from such misguided strands of thought.
  • edited July 2009
    @onlyamonkey (Hasselhoff)
    Nothing against anyone but we Germans adopt every crap. :D

Culture? I think UK has a weird taste sometimes I think. But hey German comedy is great! And suasage: We´ve the biggest selection. Nothing against our food please. The best is from south Germany. You can forget north things. :p
  • edited July 2009
    Sven_Q45 wrote: »
    Why so few French here?

Because they don't like to talk or write in englisch.
  • edited July 2009
    Look at Sauerkraut. This is the best example in WEB2.0-bashmarketing.:)
    And you are the best example for a stupid german
  • edited July 2009
    @Onlyamonkey I think i have a good taste in electronic music. George Morel (Friend of mine), Kenny Dope, Louie Vega, David Morales, Jazzy Jeff, Bob Sinclair etc. We have that bad musicthing you describe. But this are two different groups of electronic people. There are many good Houseclubs similar to partys during the Miami Winter Music Conference. With good looking girls!!! There are many thick People in Germany, but when i was in USA, i see the thickest people ever seen with bad taste. I see hundreds of them. So visit Cologne, Düsseldorf, Munic, Hamburg, Saarbrücken and Berlin. There are many good Houseclubs with cool people. You only have to know where to go. The Bratwurstkraut is not the reality in germany of today.

;-) Nietzsche is a bad example. I prefer Kant.

"Well the most adventure games this days come from Germany or France."

But there are mostly not good. Maybe Ankh was a good game.
  • edited July 2009
    Baywatch would have died and Hasselhoff with it.

I still belive that Pamela made Baywatch popular in Germany, not David (crap, another stereotype - "Germans like blondes with big tits"). And it hits polish sense of humor in some way - we like making jokes of everything and it was a great subiect for that (something like Chuck Norris jokes if you know what I mean - like "Chuck Norris countet to infinity. Twice." or "Fear before going to sleep checks if Chuck Norris isn't in his cabinet). And Baywatch made some people create Naked Watch, which was funny.
    Sven_Q45 wrote:
    But hey German comedy is great!

Very specyfic. Personaly I like those farting jokes : )
    Sven_Q45 wrote:
    And suasage: We´ve the biggest selection. Nothing against our food please.

And rosted (or boiled) pork knees with mustard and horseradish! I love them! Not to mention October 1st.
    realchris wrote:
    ;-) Nietzsche is a bad example. I prefer Kant.

You don't have to agree with him, but he was a great philosopher. It's just nazis who twisted his philosophy (concentrated more on making yourself a greater beeing than anything else) into ideology of slaughter and domination.
  • edited July 2009
    A university-level English education, like I myself and a lot of my friends share, or a few years abroad, might do the trick. But, being an English teacher, you should well know that 90% of the jokes cracked in "Monkey Island" would be lost on German crowds with school English. It's something you might want to attempt in a Leistungskurs, grades 11 to 13. Yet that won't be the only target group TTG would aim at. And you just can't play such a game with a dictionary at hand!

Hmm, let me think: Secret of Monkey Island came out in 1990. When I played it (the English version), which must have been around 1991, I was 12 years old, and I thought it was the greatest game ever. As far as I can remember, I didn't get all of jokes, but absolutely most of them. I don't think you need to have 6 years of English on your belt to properly understand an adventure game.
    And, yes, I was motivated to look up some words in the dictionary, but not many.
    When you look at the young English learners today, it's amazing to see how fast they learn the language and the things they are able to do in such a short time (but, I admit, it's also astounding to see what some pupils AREN'T able to learn while the others get it so fast....:p)

Kord
  • edited July 2009

"Well the most adventure games this days come from Germany or France."

But there are mostly not good. Maybe Ankh was a good game.

:confused:

That's just your opinion, it seems that majority dissents. An adventure doesn't always has to be funny and "monkey-islandish", there are serious adventures out there, too. And that doesn't mean they're automatically bad.

Next example for a good serious german adventure: Overclocked
  • edited July 2009
    :-)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.