Anybody feel remorse...

Be honest...Was I only who felt kinda bad for him after maiming Gryff. I took it all the way and hearing him say "I can't see anything" (great VA by the way) made me feel horrible inside. Especially after hearing Gwyn explain how the Whitehill family treated him. In general, after seeing Highpoint and the conditions within it's halls, I just felt bad for the Whitehills. I got an inkling that the Forresters were like the golden family while the Whitehills were left behind to rot. Kudos to Telltale for making me feel sad for an asshole like Gryff and for a family that's caused me so much trouble.

Comments

• I feel somewhat bad for him when I hear Gywn tell his story. But that still isn't an excuse to treat my family badly, ruining my home and treating my people like dirt.

• I felt bad after I blinded him. I didn't realise how far I went until Gryff started saying he couldn't see so I stopped. Then when Gwyn was explaining how he was treated I started to feel really bad for doing what I did and that was when I knew I did the wrong thing, it doesn't matter if he deserved it, I should have treated him better, I have a feeling it's going to come back and haunt me.

• When he said " I...I can't see...I can't see...." I LOL'ed.

• I don't feel bad for Gryff tbh. But I didn't keep beating him. I hit him once and then stopped as I said to Talia that is not the kind of Lord I want to be. But when Gwyn showed the family picture, I knew what Telltale wanted to achieve but I just thought about the Forrester Family Picture that Gryff and the other Whitehill soldiers destroyed in the Great Hall. So no I don't feel bad for him.

• edited May 2015

Yeah, it made me back out after I only gave him a few licks on my second playthrough.

• Didn't hit him once. Even though I really wanted to give him some of his own medicine, seeing how he just ordered a defenceless man beat while being held down by two soldiers and pulled a sword out to keep a cripple down in the last episode. But I play Rodrik as a calm and controlled Lord, and in my eyes, having him beat Gryff would just bring him down to Gryff's level. Messing him up in a fair fight- I'm all for it. But beating the shit out of him while he's held down by my men? That's just low.

However, that's just the way I roleplay Rodrik. If it were Asher here instead of Rodrik, Gryff would not have walked out of that hall on his own two feet. And no, I wouldn't feel bad about it either. Beating the crap out of him would be him reaping what he sowed. Why would I feel sorry for him? I didn't restrain myself because I would have felt guilty if I didn't, but for other reasons.

• I would have because he was being restrained. I was content with telling him to come at me then tripping him.

• Nothing to feel bad about if you restrain yourself. As Rodrik says, "I'm not like you". Also, Eleana will want to beat him up, so by setting that example, you might just keep her from getting in trouble, too.

• I felt like the monster I was so desperately scared of when I came face to face with Gryff. I blinded a defenseless man in front of his friends no better than what Carver did to Kenny :/

• On my first playthrough I didn't touch him, I wanted to be better than Gryff.
    However on my second playthrough I destroyed him and spat at him. It felt really good during the moment but after I actually felt disgusted with myself.

• "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." - Nietzsche

• Alt text

That ugly little fourth born deserved what he got, I have no regrets doing what I did to him, he deserved it.

• You might be interested to know that the common saying, "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" also comes from Nietzsche, but the full quote is, "Out of life's school of war, what doesn't kill me makes me stronger". More interesting is that the word "stronger" can be interpreted as "more callous" or "harder", so these words work well for this game, too.

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." - Nietzsche

• I beat the crap out of him. Didin't like it after completing the episode with the highpoint meeting and all.

The more i think about it the more i realize Gryff wasn't even the real enemy, it's Ramsay Bolton. Sure he talked alot, and his men were terribly rude but i reckon the Forresters/their men would be the same way if in Whitehill's position. Gryff actually showed restraint as the leader of the force occupying enemy territory in trying to get Rodrik's to submit but not actually killing him or Ironwrath's people.

Overall i think a Forrester-Whitehill alliance is more likely now than Ramsay is back. Something tells me he will find Gryff's failure hilarious and incompetent and i still see the possiblity of a Gryff-Talia marriage as part of a Forrester-Whitehill alliance. Maybe Gryff will redeem himself. I ended up not beating him up second playthrough.

• In my game Eleana Glenmoore said it sounded like Gryff wanted more so I let him have it. After learning about Gryff's family life I still did not feel bad we are at war with them.

• I went all the way in beating him until Rodrik's mother stepped in to stop me going any further. Don't feel any regret or remorse for it either, sick of games feeling like they have to present a sympathetic side to characters who have been nothing but abhorrent the entire way through. Some people are just shit, and some tapestry with Gwyn Whitehill telling me about it and how hard it apparently was for him growing up isn't going to make me forget what Gryff, Ludd and that whole lot have been doing to me the whole story so far. Can't have been that hard for him, I recall earlier in the series she said "the dogs still whimper when he walks by" so he's always been a shit. He deserved far worse than I gave him.

• I struck him twice since he was still laughing at me, then when he called me a cripple again I struck him a third time. However, when he said it was enough, I stopped. Rodrik is the bigger man of the two, maiming a defenseless little brat is nothing short of cowardly brutishness.

• I mercilessly beat him and would have finished the job, if able. In Westeros mercy will only get you killed and fortune (almost) always favors the bold.

• edited May 2015

Felt a tiiiiiiny bit bad about Gryff. Tiny. But I will never feel badly for the Whitehills as a whole.
    Anyone who can look down at a murdered little BOY, and his mother and sister clutching his body, and be like "lol you brought this on yourselves" is a 120% complete and total crapsack. If his kids cared about how Ludd acts at all, or were decent people, they would leave and seek refuge elsewhere.

• Nothing to feel sorry for: I tripped him with my cane, spit on him and that's it. No beating, because I'm trading him for Ryon and don't want to give Ludd any reason to hurt my little bro.

• Hit him three times then spat on him after I humiliated him with the neat trick Royland taught me. That was enough for me before I had him chucked into his cell.

Do I feel bad? Not in the slightest. It sucks to hear he apparently was bullied by his brothers, but that doesn't excuse his atrocious actions.

• I don't feel much sympathy for any Whitehill, but I don't really like how vicious you can get with Gryff. He didn't deserve THAT much. Anybody who beat him, did you forget about Ryon? :v Better hope it won't bite you in the ass.

• I felt bad after doing that to him, then hearing Gwyn say no one was ever nice to him. I kinda hope we can have like a 1 on 1 talk with him in the cellar

• If mother didnt step in I would finish him off. During the war you have to be ruthless and set example for your enemies, it can also boost moral of your own men.

• I didn't fell bad about him, not even when I learned that he was bullied by his brothers. He didn't show any respect to any of the Forresters, he humilliated them and mistreated them. In my humble opinion, he deserved it.

• In the first playthrough, I didn't see the words informing me that I could back out of beating him, so I kept hitting him, until Rodrick raised his cane. Then I figured that I'd see if the clock could run out, and it did, to my relief. Then I heard his story and I felt a little better. Second playthrough, I just hit him once, and ended it there.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.