TV Show

edited June 2006 in Sam & Max
Once upon a time there was a Sam and Max TV show. I saw, like, one episode of it, and I really thought it was funny. Even though I dont have cable anymore, I think that the TV show should belong on Adult Swim on Cartoon Network. Just a thought...

Comments

• edited November 2005
    I wish I could get some digital version of the episodes of that show. I´m european and that makes getting anything sam and max really hard. I could order stuff on ebay, but spending lots of money for a vhs tape that is ntsc and I can´t even watch would be just ridiculous.

Same with the actual comic, I wonder if I can get the collection of them anywhere for a reasonable price.
  • edited November 2005
    The old sam and max website mentioned that they would try to post some comics and perhaphs tv shows... I think...

I last visited it a few months ago, unfortunalty, this website was www.samandmax.com (i think), which now doesnt have any of that good stuff...

Well, you know what that means...

TO THE TIME MACHINE!!!!
    Fine, internet archive...

Update:
    Nothing on the internet archive... Not even the old website, probably got the URL mixed up...

Update:
    Got it! It was http://www.samandmax.net/, but no videos or comics :((.

I did find something on wikipedia though...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_&_Max:_Freelance_Police!!!
  • edited November 2005
    The best episodes were written by steve purcell, the sasquatch 1 was great.. the others were so-so I still have episodes of the show on tape.. I should probably record them on 2 my comp for people to check out if it hasn't happened already..I got em on PAL by the way..taped off australian TV
  • edited November 2005
    You know what would rock? Including an episode unlockable with the game. Or something. OR dvd releases.

I never saw the tv show, even though I'm in Australia. A friend of a friend has it somewhere I 'm told. Is it really worth chasing down? I've heard mixed reviews...
  • edited November 2005
    OMG hierohero, do eet do eet now! I´d be eternally grateful.
  • edited November 2005
    The best episodes were written by steve purcell, the sasquatch 1 was great.. the others were so-so I still have episodes of the show on tape.. I should probably record them on 2 my comp for people to check out if it hasn't happened already..I got em on PAL by the way..taped off australian TV

I didn't know they were ever aired here!!
    When was it (years ago, I'm assuming)?
  • edited November 2005
    Steve (I guess) said on the old version of his site said that something or other was pending... Be right back!
    *VROOOM!!!*
    *neat time travell FXs*

*BLAM! SCREEEEEECHH!!!*
    Turns out I didnt need to use that plutonium, the site still exists (www.samandmax.net)

Heres what they said:
    "The Episode Media Archive is currently in limbo pending the hosting of a number of large video clips. You'll be the first to know if this situation changes, though. Thanks for your patience."

Oh, yeah... Its the UNOFFICIAL site... Not made by Steve... Sorry... #-o
  • edited November 2005
    about 97 they showed em on Foxtel..fox kids channel..so i taped em.. got eek the cat too :D about a year later they showed em on channel 10 cheez tv..
  • edited November 2005
    *forum n00b*

I picked up a couple of Sam and Max videos at a random convenience store that was selling of old stock. I don't have them at hand, but can certainly pick them up over Christmas vacation and have a go at digitizing them. I've had a rotton time finding things like Sam&Max and Mighty Max online.

and, um, hello.
  • edited November 2005
    Also, if you share videos via internet, you may start to get into piracy, however, you could argue that taping it on a VHS is that too... Whatever the case, SEND ME A DIGITIZED VERSION IF YOU CAN!!!!
  • edited November 2005
    Well, if the cartoons were available, then we could buy them, couldnt we? It's very hard to track down old VHS tapes at decent prices these days. My junkheap is mostly from yardsales and library sales (admittedly, i'm normally trying to find videos internationally, so I'm a little fuzzy on copy ethics in my own language and country) But at this point, as Nelvana is no longer producing these tapes, I would consider digitizing five or six episodes fair use.

yo ho.
  • edited November 2005
    Whatevers...
    All I can say is this:
    ARG! SHIVER ME TEMP FILES!!!
    HOIST THE BROWSER!!! RAISE THE PRICES!!!
    FIRE THE VIRUSES!!! GET ME A SANDWHICH!!!

Lol, just felt like saying that...

It would be ggreat if it appeared on adult swim, or something...
  • edited November 2005
    I doubt Adult Swim would touch it. It's very much a Saturday morning kids cartoon. It would be great if Telltale could arrange some sort of joint release of the TV series (or have it as a game bonus). I would definitly buy any DVD or official web release.
  • edited November 2005
    Alas, cool shows are rarely released on DVD. I'd pay a huge amount for DVDs of Sam and Max or Mighty Max (Spooky Meggy likes that show too! :D )... especially if it came with a cool action figure/ statue like the Invader ZIM collector's box (that thing's worth the $100 just for the box, let alone the awesome DVDs!)...

A joint release with a game would be cool... one or two episodes per episode of the game series? Even though legally getting that to work would be hideous...

Oh, and Samandmax.net hasn't really been updated since Freelance Police was cancelled, although apparently they're working on getting it up to date.

And, finally, to those foreign peoples who think it's hard getting stuff over in Europe or wherever you may reside, it's hard to get Sam and Max merchandise here, too. The comic collection sells for $100 on eBay... crazy -_-" .
  • edited December 2005
    I actually had a stupid nightmare about this last night.

Anyway, Mighty max won my heart as a kid, and that i know you can get it as an illegal DVD collection online. Sam and Max is of a somewhat more recent vintage (three years, i believe) and therefore, the kids who will create illegal-tastic copies of it are still learning their computer skills. I give it....two years before we see it showing up online with any regularity.

Nelvanna owns Sam and Max still, to my knowledge. There's hope of a release, as their Big Dark Secret recently saw a DVD release after being buried for fifteen odd years. (Rock and Rule...anyone seen THAT thing? it's weird.) They just need to know there's a reasonable demand. I think today;s TV climate would be more receptive to it than that of the mid ninties, as people are now very happy to view cartoons as all-ages fare.
  • edited December 2005
    Yeah, I know you can get MM as an illegal DVD... but come on. Real DVDs are so much cooler ;) I saw a web poll a while ago for what old cartoon you'd want on DVD... Mighty Max won.
  • edited December 2005
    I hate to break it to y'all, but when I recently found three very low res copies of some short Sam and Max episodes, I discovered they weren't actually very good. For one thing the voices are different to the game and are actually pretty shocking. The episodes I saw weren't actually very funny and I laughed only once or twice. I seem to recall the episodes I saw when I was a little younger were a lot funnier but I was about 6-7 at the time so I also thought flatulence and going to the toilet were instant comedy gold. It's probably better if you consent yourself with the thoughts of how cool the shows were than actually experiencing them. They're nowhere near as good as the comics.
  • edited December 2005
    Oh, i know they're not very funny. Everything is funnier when you're eight. But when you watch this sort of stuff, for me at least, you're not watching it because it's any good. You're paying homage to your eight-year-old self.
  • edited December 2005
    Mm'yup. Although MM still rocks.
  • edited December 2005
    I think i love you, CMDRMCTAIN. I'm going to knit you a hat.
  • edited December 2005
    God bless you sir. God bless your TOES!

;)

Shame my computer refuses to load some of those... oh well. It's true, the show wasn't too great, and the voices were indeed weird. And the Geek was just a bad idea.

The best line was one of the first I heard: "Gee, Max. I knew this latex skull of yours would come in handy one day!"
  • edited December 2005
    The Geek was added because the books had little/no female characters. Legend holds the Purcell thought she "wasn't that bad" and did supply Sam and Max with havoc-causing things.

I always liked Sam and Max's voices...
  • edited December 2005
    The voices are nowhere near as fitting as the Hit The Road voices, which perfectly fitted the characters. The show ones are a bit... kiddy. I dunno.... much more tame and generic.

Telltale, PLEASE get the old voice actors back for the new games!
  • edited December 2005
    Whether politically correct or not no-one can deny that 'The Geek' is terrifically bad character. I don't know (Now that I come to think about it) that the voices are actually that bad (although the voice of Max is a little grating after a while) but they just don't seem to fit after playing the talkie version of the game.
  • edited December 2005
    The voices aren't bad, per se. They're just nowhere near as good as the game's voices, Max especially.
  • edited December 2005
    I recorded all of the TV episodes on VHS when they were aired on Fox. I then later went to watch the VHS tape and realized that I had recorded over many of the episodes. I cried...

Anyhow, I have since then bought on ebay the VHS retail copies that were sold in Canada. Doesn't have all of the episodes but a good amount of them. There were only three VHS tapes created, I believe. Each tape had like six or so episodes on them. Something like that.

I recorded one of the VHS tapes to a DVD. I need to do that to the other two.

Back in the 90's I had a theory. The more I liked a cartoon series, the more doomed it was to being cancelled early. Nightmare Ned, Sam n Max, The Tick, etc.

- I luckily have Nightmare Ned on tape, only missing the first episode.
    - Sam n Max I have the VHS tapes of and eventually on DVD.
    - The Tick has been re-airing on ABC Family channel. Been Tivoing them, Tivo w/ Humax DVD recorder is a God-send!!!
  • edited December 2005
    You're a nice man.

I'm curious...Has anyone got the Christmas special that had Sam's mum as a main character? She was rather awesome and worked in a penitentary...I think there was a prison riot. I'm under the impression that it only aired once, but i could be wrong about that. It was my favourite one, except for that "insane-sam-and-max-fan-in-the-amusement-park" one...
  • edited December 2005
    The Sam and Max show was pretty good. I think it would have been better had the Sam and Max Hit the Road voice actors did their voices, though. I just could never quite see who was playing Max as Max. He's a little too sweet. The animation was great, though. It would be awesome if they were to start a new series on Adult Swim or something where we could really see the Sam and Max humor come through and not worry about having it be a wholesome kid's show.
  • edited December 2005
    I'm gonna get flamed here, but I actually liked Max's voice more in the series. "Joe Pesci" just sounds... wrong... to me. (Ignore that Purcell would arguably differ.) Max has always been an eccentric character, and the wacky, over-the-top voice acting in the series was great.

And, despite it being a "wholesome" kid's show, I still laugh uproariously and wonder to myself, "they could do that!?" whenever I watch one.

I'd say it worked out pretty well.
  • edited December 2005
    The Max voice in the series was okay, but I still think that the HTR Max is the definitive Max. Max's slightly grating and obnoxious voice in HTR is just so brilliant for the character. The show's Sam was okay, closer to the game's voice than Max.
  • edited December 2005
    I have the following episodes:-

All creatures great and small
    Big Trouble at Earth's Core
    Little Bigfoot
    That Darn Gator
    The Second Show Ever
    The Tell Tale Tail
    The Thing That Wouldn't Stop It

Come fly with me
    Bad Day on the Moon
    Dysfunction Of The Gods
    Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang
    Max's Big Day
    We Drop at Dawn

Y-Files
    The Invaders
    The Trouble With Gary
    The Uglions from Outer Space
    They Came From Down There
  • edited January 2006
    i found my sam and max episodes i think i got about 8 on tape..was watching them yesterday..the steve purcell written ones were hilarious.. if any1 wants to buy me a capture card i'll put them up :p
  • edited January 2006
    You can capture from video by hooking a Mini DV camera through the VCR using the three colour-riffic cables in the output section, setting the camera to "passthrough" mode, and loading it into an editing programme (iMovie, FinalCut etc.) itht he use of a USB cord, or a firewire....

Roteero...you could tell us HERE....*puppy eyes*
  • edited January 2006
    It's true that some of the non-Purcell episodes were only sort of okay... But the majority of the episodes were hysterical. AND the art/animation was really good. And I was fine with the voices, but I talked about that in the other thread. And even though the show was undeniably toned down for the kiddies, they got away with some stuff and the humor was just as sharp. It got toned down, not dumbed down.

However, an Adult Swim revival with new, TV-PG or TV-14 episodes (or TV-MA, I guess, but that's probably not necessary) is my dream. Even if they showed the old cartoons in a Family Guy-style revival it'd be great; it wouldn't be the first time they've aired TV-Y7 material on there. The best analogy is what they did with The Ripping Friends, even though I didn't particularly care for that show. They showed the old episodes and then they also showed new, "adult" episodes.

Here are some great quotes from the TV show:

Max: Gee, Sam, I don't know about this!
    Sam: You mean you feel at odds about violating the sanctity of the dead, and disturbing their eternal sleep?
    Max: No, I mean digging is hard!

Sam: I hate to resort to that sort of subterfuge, but what do you do with a guy like Lorne?
    Max: I know! Get him to follow a marshmallow peanut trail into the furnace?
    Sam: That would be patently irresponsible, Max. And besides; we don't have a furnace.

Sam: Gee. I don't know anybody who could firebomb kittens.
    Max: Here, let me.

scientist: Can we have your word?
    Max: Sure! Except my word is "unctious", so you won't get to use it very often.

Max: I never dreamed we could have so much fun and still be suitable for young viewers!
    Sam: Yes, once again we've stared into the leathery face of Death and his second cousin Dismemberment, and lived to laugh about it. We fell headlong from a moving plane, engaged a murderous horde of bloodthirsty savages in an action-packed shoot-'em-up, and learned a valuable life lesson about friendship or something.
    Max: Hey! What about the gratuitous blowing up of the local filling station?
    (A filling station explodes.)
    Max: Well I'll be.

Mack Salmon: Your casual indifference cannot save you this time! You are now my prisoners! At long last you shall pay for your part in causing my... condition.
    Sam: Not that we have even the foggiest recollection of what you're talking about, but would it make it all better if we said, "We're sorry?"

Mad Scientist: They laughed at me at the academy! They laughed at me at the institute!
    Sam (whispering to Max): He must have been a lot funnier then.

Sam: Amazing! We can use the sewer system to travel unhindered to our destination.
    Max: It's a vastly underused avenue of transportation. And look, Sam -- baby alligators!
    Sam: Well, there're bouyant and log-shaped but far from alligators, Max.

There was also a really great one about "bowels", but I don't quite remember it. It went something like:

Sam: Here we are, in the bowels of The Mad Thespian's secret lair.
    Max: Wow, Sam. I never thought I'd hear the words "bowels" and "secret lair" in the same sentence!
    Sam: Get used to it.
  • edited January 2006
    That was hilarious, SirLemming! Thank you for posting those. :))
  • edited January 2006
    Strange thing really. When I read Sam and Max quotes entirely out of context they seem even more funny. For instance, if you don't know about Mack Salmon and his appearance in the comics and the fact that he's a fish and that they're being held up and blah, blah, blah, blah... It seems still hilarious to read the quote (I found this out when I read the quote to my friend). Go figure.
  • edited January 2006
    You can capture from video by hooking a Mini DV camera through the VCR using the three colour-riffic cables in the output section, setting the camera to "passthrough" mode, and loading it into an editing programme (iMovie, FinalCut etc.) itht he use of a USB cord, or a firewire....

Or, use a program called Snapz Pro X, made by Ambrosia Software.

You have to buy it though, and it only works for mac. You dont need capture card though...
  • edited February 2006
    Actually, nvm.

Snapz Pro x just makes screen movies...
  • edited May 2006
    I 15 episodes of the tv show. I just love them, my sister adord them too, and the game. She really likes Max, but Sam can tend to confuse her,lol.
  • edited May 2006
    Woah, way to dig up a dead thread. Strange thing though, just found out where you can download most if not all the episodes. It's a little sad how they've kiddied the show down so children can watch it without crying but it's still pretty funny. Too bad the episodes download really SLOWLY. But hey, I got 13 of them in a folder right now. Mmm... Sam and Maxy goodness.
This discussion has been closed.