I knew there was hate, but I never expected all this...

edited July 2015 in Minecraft: Story Mode

Ever since it was announced, the "big pro anti-minecraft players" have begun to hate the idea of the game. Minecraft is seen as a game for children, but it is actually one of the greatest inventions of the last few years and people will not admit it.

Then, here comes the trailer, and what happens? People begin to judge without having just read a single word of the plot! See comments on Youtube made me so angry. I really like the idea so much, and I look forward to seeing more!

What's wrong in Minecraft!? The speech is similar to the phenomenon of "Justin Bieber / One Direction". All hate them, but in the end are the fans that they should hate, not the one who plays and sings. I do not know if you understand the concept.

Now I ask all these people who hate Minecraft to list in this thread the reasons for this hatred, because frankly it's stupid.

Comments

• edited July 2015

See comments on Youtube made me so angry. See comments on Youtube made me so angry.

Why?, let people be angry if they want to be

Also to be honest I like to play minecraft now and again but the entire purpose of the game is building and creation. Its entire point is their is no story, you tell your own. I will admit it looks kind of daft to me especially if they try to make the story ever have any semblance of being serious, making it a comedy has some possibilities (though to be honest I cant stand comedic media which is why I'm not all that enthusiastic).

Again while this is likely the only game I'm likely seeing myself disliking which is rare for me on its own I'm not going to spew hate in its direction.

• edited July 2015

Perhaps not everyone knows that Minecraft has actually a story.

If you try to play you will notice that you are slowly building a plot, YOUR history, YOUR choices. I don't know, for example: finding food, go to the Nether, Killing the Dragon etc ...

Then, if it is put in evidence by Telltale I'd say that we are in good hands and I'm sure that will come out of something fantastic!

See comments on Youtube made me so angry. See comments on Youtube made me so angry. Why?, let people be angry if they want to be

• Thats the point you make your own story, it doesnt have a story . The dragon stuff is just a possible long term goal, I've never tried or got close to fighting the dragon.

My reaction to this thing from the start has just been amused curiosity I literally have no idea what this thing is going to turn out like.

Salvy posted: »

Perhaps not everyone knows that Minecraft has actually a story. If you try to play you will notice that you are slowly building a plot, Y

• I know, but Telltale is really good to do that. Take the "generality" that exist in Minecraft, put them together and being able to create a story quite cute and funny (I hope).

I'm not angry with those people who do not know what to expect or who has reason still reasonable, but only with those people who just hate and without knowing more details.

Thats the point you make your own story, it doesnt have a story . The dragon stuff is just a possible long term goal, I've never tried or go

• Then, here comes the trailer, and what happens? People begin to judge without having just read a single word of the plot! See comments on Youtube made me so angry. I really like the idea so much, and I look forward to seeing more!

Have you actually read the comments? When it was first released, yes, people against it were on the wrong side but...Hell, it's gotten worse, this time with supporters doing wrong as well. I see people on both sides acting childish and wrong....Hell, on one comment a guy got spammed 200+ times by some kids alts.

• It's been months. People need to stop being so butthurt and get used to the idea that it's happening. Feel free to not buy the game, but insulting people for being excited about the game is just ridiculous. (not talking about the Telltale community completely, mostly those painful, cringy youtube comments for the trailer).

• edited July 2015

I'm not a fanboy kid or a fanboy kids hater. I just like Minecraft and i don't understand why people just hate. "Seriously, Telltale!?", "It will sucks!", "That's a game for kids!!". These are the kind of comment i hate, for example.

Then, here comes the trailer, and what happens? People begin to judge without having just read a single word of the plot! See comments on Yo

• I'm not a fanboy kid or a fanboy kids hater

Good for you, never said you were.

These are the kind of comment i hate, for example.

Well, yes, those are some of the bad comments...But, there are also bad comments on the supporting side too. It's childish all around here, but you're probably happy it isn't on the Forums in such mass any more.

Salvy posted: »

I'm not a fanboy kid or a fanboy kids hater. I just like Minecraft and i don't understand why people just hate. "Seriously, Telltale!?", "It will sucks!", "That's a game for kids!!". These are the kind of comment i hate, for example.

• Cope49Cope49 Banned
    edited July 2015

It's Minecraft a.k.a Mindcrap .No one asked for that game. Did they just place a few ideas in a hat ?
    Of course people are gonna hate it. Watching that "trailer " I felt like my face was gonna break in half ,I couldn't stop laughing.
    There was even a petition out there . Pleading for Telltale to stop making this game.

• it is actually one of the greatest inventions of the last few years

It's a game where you place blocks and build stuff. You know what that sounds like? LEGO. Such an amazing invention! People hate Minecraft because of the community. Just go look at any "Minecon Cringe" videos and you'll see why.

• It's Minecraft a.k.a Mindcrap

How long did it take you to come up with that ;)

Cope49 posted: »

It's Minecraft a.k.a Mindcrap .No one asked for that game. Did they just place a few ideas in a hat ? Of course people are gonna hate it.

• Cope49Cope49 Banned

Not mine. That's been the nickname for Minecraft for years.

It's Minecraft a.k.a Mindcrap How long did it take you to come up with that

• Look on the bright side, guys. Because the graphic is not very sophisticated there may be no "SOON" here. No waiting, Longer episodes. More choices, important choices. More skins. It can be Telltale's best game.

• edited July 2015

@LeFedore well i personally think the minecraft fanbase aint as bad as people say on here i know theres some bad in the fanbase

but not as much as people are saying the community aint as bad as yall are saying the minecraft forums have alot of kind minecraft players and the game has kind members overall and sure bad members but more good then bad

LeFedore posted: »

it is actually one of the greatest inventions of the last few years It's a game where you place blocks and build stuff. You know wha

• Well thats a good silver lining way of thinking about it i agree

Omid's cat posted: »

Look on the bright side, guys. Because the graphic is not very sophisticated there may be no "SOON" here. No waiting, Longer episodes. More choices, important choices. More skins. It can be Telltale's best game.

• Yeah I was wondering if it'd get done faster than their other projects because the graphics are so simplistic and they don't need to make everything from scratch.

Omid's cat posted: »

Look on the bright side, guys. Because the graphic is not very sophisticated there may be no "SOON" here. No waiting, Longer episodes. More choices, important choices. More skins. It can be Telltale's best game.

• edited July 2015

They don't take forever because of the graphics, i feel like they focus more of the time on the story and voice acting. Visuals are important of course, but simpler designs may increase the speed between episodes slightly, but it's all about having a good script and a great team of voice actors. Matters of opinion of course.

Yeah I was wondering if it'd get done faster than their other projects because the graphics are so simplistic and they don't need to make everything from scratch.

• [Citation Needed]

They don't take forever because of the graphics, i feel like they focus more of the time on the story and voice acting. Visuals are importan

• I'm not so sure about that. Game of Thrones is nearing completion of voice recording, if it hasn't already, which is implied by some recent tweets TellTale and the voice actors have put out. We're still waiting on two more episodes.

They don't take forever because of the graphics, i feel like they focus more of the time on the story and voice acting. Visuals are importan

• Minecraft is seen as a game for children

I have never understood that it's seen as a game for children. Most of the popular Minecraft YouTubers are over 20 years old and most of the servers I go on most of the people are teenagers and adults not kids (the youngest I have seen are twelve year olds).

You know at first I hated the idea of this game not because Telltale are making a Minecraft game but because I like Minecraft being Minecraft. But then I started to think of all the adventure maps I have played and started to hate it less. When I found out the trailer had released I was complaining to my friend but then I watched it and became super hyped up about it. XD The story reminds me of a few maps I have played and a few animations so I really want this game and I'm not hating on it anymore which is really stupid because I was certain I would hate this game.

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited July 2015

There was even a petition out there . Pleading for Telltale to stop making this game.

A petition, you say? Looks like it is in good company. ;)

https://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/22918/a-petition-and-protest-against-this-game

Too bad Telltale didn't listen to that petition and we wound up with that lousy Walking Dead game, even after the fans begged and pleaded for them not to do it, right?

It's Minecraft a.k.a Mindcrap .No one asked for that game. Did they just place a few ideas in a hat ? Of course people are gonna hate it.

• Cope49Cope49 Banned

Hey .

I didn't sign it . And who would be against the making of the walking dead ? Now Mindcraft I understand but The Walking dead?

There was even a petition out there . Pleading for Telltale to stop making this game. A petition, you say? Looks like it is in good

• honestly i think this game will sell to the stampy fan base (ie, young children) which is fair enough because it is probably where another game based off of minecraft will make the most money, but i will wait and see, maybe it will be like the lego movie and still be fun to watch (or play for the minecraft game) as an adult

• Though Minecraft isn't one of the "greatest inventions of the last few years", it did revolutionize independent game development and contributed to the gaming industry.

LeFedore posted: »

it is actually one of the greatest inventions of the last few years It's a game where you place blocks and build stuff. You know wha

• well alot of people here are children in spirit so who knows maybe alot of the telltale fanbase will like this as well

honestly i think this game will sell to the stampy fan base (ie, young children) which is fair enough because it is probably where another g

• As far as I know it's always been like this when a new series drops. Lots of whining followed by sheepish acceptance.

I'm not wholeheartedly sold on the premise, but I'm intrigued, which is something.

• edited July 2015

From what I saw, it was more people being unwilling to accept change than a hatred towards Minecraft. It seemed like the people were too stuck in the ways of Telltales recent ventures into more dramatic stories and didn't want them to be doing a property 'for children' when they made a name for themselves for with games like Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us, both games tackling pretty mature themes.

Personally I'm all for the change of pace from the recent ventures, but I can agree that a story based Minecraft game is a strange concept, but I have faith in Telltale and will at least try the first episode.

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator
    edited July 2015

I agree that it has too much hate.

Lots of the current Telltale fanbase where introduced by The Walking Dead so would prefer a different type of game but i feel this is a game that can be enjoyed by both children and adults and i think it will also appeal to families playing together, Telltale took inspiration from movies like Ghostbusters and The Goonies which are enjoyed by both children and adults.

I am not a huge minecraft fan but thought the trailer looked really good and from learning about the story i am starting to look forward to it, hopefully people do enjoy it once it releases as i think it has potential to be a fun adventure game that can be enjoyed by families without fear of any content that might not be suitable for young children.

edited July 2015

This thread has been made as the start of a petition and protest against the proposed production of an adaptation of "The Walking Dead." With all of its games to date, the truly wonderful people at TellTale Games have focused squarely on games which are suitible for most, sometimes all, ages. But, with this proposed game, TTG considers to waste part of their creative resources on producing a survive-the-zombies-and-watch-the-gore-game.

...wait, huh?

TTG considers to waste part of their creative resources on producing...

Hmm, sure sounds awfully familiar to the complaints about Minecraft, no? ;)

Hey . I didn't sign it . And who would be against the making of the walking dead ? Now Mindcraft I understand but The Walking dead?

• I could see people petitioning that only because they had no idea what to really expect. Wasn't that the first time they included the time based decision making?

There was even a petition out there . Pleading for Telltale to stop making this game. A petition, you say? Looks like it is in good

edited July 2015

Telltale's older games were more light hearted, comedy puzzle games. Most people didn't like the removal of puzzles, but this thread was specifically complaining about a mature rated Telltale game existing (that wasn't one of the CSI games Telltale made as side projects back in the day...)

Wigams posted: »

I could see people petitioning that only because they had no idea what to really expect. Wasn't that the first time they included the time based decision making?

• speaking of the goonies there are two cast members from that in this, i don't think i have ever seen the goonies, the same with peewee herman, have you ever seen them? i don't think they were the big hits in the UK like they were in the USA

OzzyUK posted: »

I agree that it has too much hate. Lots of the current Telltale fanbase where introduced by The Walking Dead so would prefer a different

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator

I don't know Peewee Herman that much but The Goonies is good family adventure film That is worth a watch, i know Job is a super huge Goonies fan so i know he is really happy that there will be a Goonies actor in ths game :P

speaking of the goonies there are two cast members from that in this, i don't think i have ever seen the goonies, the same with peewee herman, have you ever seen them? i don't think they were the big hits in the UK like they were in the USA

• Was the guy Defending the Game? Had a Green shirt in his Profile Pic?

Then, here comes the trailer, and what happens? People begin to judge without having just read a single word of the plot! See comments on Yo

• Lots of the current Telltale fanebase where introduced by The Walking Dead

That's what I've been telling people. I've been stating that Telltale became popular with Kids games such as "Sam & Max", and The Monkey island one, and I was calmly stating it, and that people should calm down.. Here are some of the comments I got. "Lol, This comment wreaks of autism." "This kid deserves to die." "This guy is probably 5." "You're a fucking idiot dude, Autism Autism Autism Autism Autism" "Lol, This is the Internet, No one gives a shit what you think." "This guy has so much autism it could kill him"

And I do have Autism by the way, But it certainly isn't because I'd defend a game people are working hard on. And It's funny that I have autism, Yet these guys who claim to be so mature are the ones acting like children. I wrote a calm comment, and They were like, "Mom! Get me a Monster Energy, I'm about to be cool on the internet by insulting someone I don't know for a disease they can't control!"

Telltale took inspiration from movies like Ghostbusters and The Goonies which are enjoyed by both children and adults.

Yeah. I love Ghostbusters and The Goonies, and I bet a lot more people do. I guess they aren't a huge fan of change.

OzzyUK posted: »

I agree that it has too much hate. Lots of the current Telltale fanbase where introduced by The Walking Dead so would prefer a different

• Minecraft sucks.

I hope it is a commercial flop so that no development time or resources get spent on a worthless sequel. I'd much rather see another TWAU.

• Hi, You see your comment? This is an opinion, Not a fact.

Scaeva posted: »

Minecraft sucks. I hope it is a commercial flop so that no development time or resources get spent on a worthless sequel. I'd much rather see another TWAU.

• Minecraft is seen as a game for children?

Actually, no, no. It's a game for everyone. People just hate it because their mind thinks they do. They just haven't played the game just because they decided that they hated it. You can only hate something if you've tried it at least ONCE. Just once.

• About children. Do you think Minecraft fans would enjoy story mode? It looks like Minecraft but gameplay will be something different. In my opinion talking and making decisons is not what kids like. Besides, quote (trailer): "May contain content inappropriate for children."

Lehfeels posted: »

well alot of people here are children in spirit so who knows maybe alot of the telltale fanbase will like this as well

Sign in to comment in this discussion.