I knew there was hate, but I never expected all this...

Comments

• this is telltales biggest opportunity, yet. This is their First Game in years, were Telltale has nearly Complete Freedom of Creativity, because Minecraft had no Story. Telltale can Do what they Want and they're Doping it! I mean they're putting the Far Lands into the game! The Farlands Are totally glitched and Broken but they did something with it.

• i think telltale would be shooting themselves in the foot if the game is inappropriate for children, minecraft didn't start out as a child's game (and it still isn't only for children) but now the biggest fan base for the game (and where they make all their money from) is children, i hope it is more of a family friendly game than a child's game (more lego movie and less dora the explorer), but it would really be a bad business decision for telltale to make the game a 15+ age rating when most of the interest would be from people below 15.

if you have seen any of stampy's videos (the most popular minecraft let's player) you would see how it is aimed purely at children, but i hope the game has some interest for adults as well.

Omid's cat posted: »

About children. Do you think Minecraft fans would enjoy story mode? It looks like Minecraft but gameplay will be something different. In my

• Their is no guarantee they wouldnt spend their time and resources on another project that you feel would be worthless. Wishing for them to fail is not going to get us TWAU season 2.

Scaeva posted: »

Minecraft sucks. I hope it is a commercial flop so that no development time or resources get spent on a worthless sequel. I'd much rather see another TWAU.

• It feels like people post on Youtube just so they have the freedom to be awful.

Lots of the current Telltale fanebase where introduced by The Walking Dead That's what I've been telling people. I've been stating t

• Pretty much. It's cute though. They think they have you in the palm of their hands... They think you're cowering for your mother behind that screen, and your comments on how You don't care, they think it's denial... It's so cute how they think they're Giants, when they're really little ants.

KCohere posted: »

It feels like people post on Youtube just so they have the freedom to be awful.

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator

The reason it says "May contain content inappropriate for children." is because the trailer and game haven't been official rated by ESRB yet as the guy talking says "product not yet rated" so that is the default rating.

Omid's cat posted: »

About children. Do you think Minecraft fans would enjoy story mode? It looks like Minecraft but gameplay will be something different. In my

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator
    edited July 2015

I think some of the "autistic" insults towards minecraft have spawned from the 2013 Minecon video that cherry picks all the slightly awkward moments from hours of footage and compiling it into a 8 min video.

I agree that all of the "autism" insults are really annoying and even more cringworthy than the things they are insulting, i don't have autism but my cousin does so i have had some personal experience with it and having just come back from attending London Minecon i have to say the stereotype is nowhere near as bad as these "cringe" videos make out, there where 10,000 attendees there and i personally never saw anything "cringy" or "autistic" but what i did see was lots of people having fun and hopefully they will also have fun if they decide to play Telltale's game.

Lots of the current Telltale fanebase where introduced by The Walking Dead That's what I've been telling people. I've been stating t

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator

I hope it is a commercial flop so that no development time or resources get spent on a worthless sequel.

Companies need money to make other games and to make their current game as good as they do, even if Minecraft Story Mode is successful there is no grantee that they will make a sequel like the demands for The Wolf Among Us doesn't grantee a sequel for that.

Anyway there is always this "what if" scenario :P

Alt text

Scaeva posted: »

Minecraft sucks. I hope it is a commercial flop so that no development time or resources get spent on a worthless sequel. I'd much rather see another TWAU.

• edited July 2015

i would prefer that telltale work on the TWAU TWDG TFBL or GOT that this minecraft game... being a company with limited people and using alot of them to do this is a waste of time to the ohers games.(MY OPNIAO) plz dont hate me. i would lov eto play that IP of telltale, but minecraft... blah :( and the trailer wasent even good. By the way i have played minecraft and i dident like it.

• I saw you and I knew with was you. The way the comment section in your thread is pretty much how the comment section is going...Someone is against the game, supporters reply, supporters are attacked by non-supporters, the attackers are then attacked by supporters...Then it's just argument and baseless insults over and over again.

Was the guy Defending the Game? Had a Green shirt in his Profile Pic?

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited July 2015

Not all games that Telltale makes will appeal to everyone. A lot of people weren't happy about Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People, for many of the same reasons. A lot of people thought the graphics are too simple, and a lot of people passed on it because they believed the game was for kids. Plus, a lot of people who were already fans of Homestar Runner thought that they should make more levels of Stinkoman 20X6 as they didn't see the point in an adventure game starring Strong Bad.

That doesn't mean that it was a bad game, just that it didn't appeal to everyone. The same will obviously be the case here. The good news about both games is that their sales will help Telltale continue to grow so that they can continue to make the games that they do enjoy playing. Telltale has grown steadily every year since they were founded in 2004. Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People helped that growth, and Minecraft: Story Mode will help that growth too.

There are already games announced that will interest you, such as The Walking Dead: Michonne and The Walking Dead: Season Three. Minecraft's existence will help to make sure that the team has the money needed to have the resources to make those games. If they just stuck with the franchises they have already worked on without continuing to develop games for a diverse assortments of licenses, Telltale would just stay the same size as they are now, and wouldn't be able to continue the steady growth that they had always experienced. If that happened, either the development time would need to increase or the staff size would need to decrease, or both. That wouldn't be good news for anyone.

jackymasdar posted: »

i would prefer that telltale work on the TWAU TWDG TFBL or GOT that this minecraft game... being a company with limited people and using alo

• 'Helpes'

OzzyUK posted: »

I hope it is a commercial flop so that no development time or resources get spent on a worthless sequel. Companies need money to mak

• Nail, meet head.

From what I saw, it was more people being unwilling to accept change than a hatred towards Minecraft. It seemed like the people were too stu

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator

Ugh, i will blame that on "fat fingers" :P

'Helpes'

• Hence the reasons that the "cash grab" people complain about is a good thing. More money = more games, people!

Jennifer posted: »

Not all games that Telltale makes will appeal to everyone. A lot of people weren't happy about Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People

• Cope49Cope49 Banned

Only if the first ep is free..even then I'm not to sure..

From what I saw, it was more people being unwilling to accept change than a hatred towards Minecraft. It seemed like the people were too stu

• .No one asked for that game.

No one asked for TWD.

No one asked for TFTB.

No one asked for GoT.

No one asked for the Marvel game that's releasing in 2017.

You don't need to ask for something for it to be made.

Cope49 posted: »

It's Minecraft a.k.a Mindcrap .No one asked for that game. Did they just place a few ideas in a hat ? Of course people are gonna hate it.

• edited July 2015

I'm just worried about the Minecraft fanbase (mostly consisting of kids) flooding the forums after finding this game. I won't mind if they want to converse about it in the Minecraft section, but I'm just worried they'll bleed into the other parts of the forums like TWDG and GoT. Both mature games, highly recommended to shy away from children.

• Shit, I know, right? Eyebrow strong af.

• I mean eyebrow game*

fuk

• singular tear slides down cheek

• I'm not seeing much hate for it personally. Don't bother looking at youtube comments as they're always vile regardless of what the video is about. Someone eariler said it's because it's different, but I disagree. If the theme doesn't interest people, then it's simply that. I'm certain this will do well financially, but putting that aside, I'm not surprised that people aren't happy with this direction as there's literally thousands of IP's out there and they picked this.

• edited July 2015

Not necessarily. Plenty of game companies haven't put the money back in.

Also, although I'm sure it will be a success for TT financially due to the low quality graphics and animation etc being used (can't wait for the excuse why it's late for this series!), I'm not confident it'll hit the fans they think it will. It's usually little kids who play minecraft as it's easy to pick up and play. I can't see them buying this and being that happy with it.

KCohere posted: »

Hence the reasons that the "cash grab" people complain about is a good thing. More money = more games, people!

edited July 2015

Most game companies haven't had continuous growth since their foundation either. If Telltale stopped that growth suddenly, by just focusing on the licenses they already have, something would definitely have to give.

Telltale doesn't need a success on the level of The Walking Dead for this to help the company continue to grow. I'm sure they know that this is a risk, as it's something different both for the fans of Minecraft and the fans of Telltale. But, they've had plenty of risky projects in the past such as the Puzzle Agent and Poker Night games. Heck, even The Walking Dead was a huge risk, since it was vastly different than Telltale's previous successful games, and after the failure of Jurassic Park: The Game people weren't really open to another QTE style game by Telltale.

The risk might pay off like it did for The Walking Dead, or it might not, like it did for Jurassic Park. But, it likely won't stop Telltale's growth (Jurassic Park didn't cause the company to stop their growth in 2011). Plus, it's very likely Telltale will learn from Minecraft: Story Mode no matter the outcome. They certainly learned from Jurassic Park, as Telltale learned from their missteps and refined them. Without Jurassic Park: The Game, we wouldn't have The Walking Dead.

Revec posted: »

Not necessarily. Plenty of game companies haven't put the money back in. Also, although I'm sure it will be a success for TT financially

• ? They wouldn't stop it though. They'd simply maintain it.

Most game companies haven't had continuous growth since their foundation either. If Telltale stopped that growth suddenly, by just focusing

edited July 2015

I don't know what you mean by that statement. A failure of a product can definitely stop the growth of a company. If the company simply maintained the size they already were, the growth of the company would stop.

Telltale has been steadily growing in size every year since their foundation in 2004, and they continued growing in 2011 despite Jurassic Park: The Game, which was Telltale's biggest and most visible failure. So, the company ceasing their growth definitely won't happen for Minecraft: Story Mode either, even if it's not a huge success. Plus, even if it fails, as I said, Telltale will learn from it as they learned from Jurassic Park, and it will lead to improvements in future games.

Revec posted: »

? They wouldn't stop it though. They'd simply maintain it.

• Cope49Cope49 Banned

Regardless Mindcrap was a bad choice . Which many agree.

.No one asked for that game. No one asked for TWD. No one asked for TFTB. No one asked for GoT. No one asked for the Marvel game that's releasing in 2017. You don't need to ask for something for it to be made.

• You're so smart about the way you shut people down without saying too much. I think reading mod comments is like the best thing about this forum.

There was even a petition out there . Pleading for Telltale to stop making this game. A petition, you say? Looks like it is in good

• And many disagree.

• Honestly, when my friend first told me about a Telltale Minecraft game I laughed because I thought he was kidding. As time progressed, the concept grew and grew on me and the trailer itself sold me completely. I also find it irritating when there is so much groundless hate on the game, but it has happened for every game since the Walking Dead (can any old members confirm if it happened even before then too?). People are going to whine and complain until release, and then a lot of people will just accept the game, and it will be brushed under the rug that his ludicrous hate ever actually happened.

• You know what else is an opinion? That Minecraft is good.

Alt text

Hi, You see your comment? This is an opinion, Not a fact.

• First off I'm not one of the people that insult others and spew their hate everywhere but instead keep that opinion to themselves unless someone asks for it.

My opinion on it is that I reaaalllyyy rather have them work on something else. I like Minecraft, it's pretty fun to build stuff and set your own goals or play with friends (wich I rarely do but yeh). Hell I have a minecraft tumblr ask blog, and the MC ask blog community is actually pretty cool (might also be because theyre artists Idk). I don't ever see much of these 11 year old boys everyones talking about, guess that might be more of a youtube problem? Either way. What I'm saying is I have fun with Minecraft, made my own fancharacters and headcanons and the whole shabang.

Now there's TTG wanting to make a story game based on it. My first thought was "Do we really need this?" and when I saw the trailer I thought it was really just not for my age. I like the nice mix of comedy and violence - Borderlands, TF2, Superjail, and all that stuff. Or serious dramatic stories with a light touch of fun here and there. If there's no real drama because it's for kids it gets kind of boring, you know? Besides, I hate the looks of the characters. It makes me take nothing about it seriously, and I wouldnt even take any drama as such if it was just square people getting hurt. Square heads is another story, but whole square bodies? It's absolutely not my thing, hence why I don't like it.

edited July 2015

@SCR4TP-TP wrote:
    If there's no real drama because it's for kids it gets kind of boring, you know?

That's not always the case. The New Batman Adventures episode, Over the Edge, is rated TV-Y7 (meaning for children 7 and up), and it has plenty of drama and tons of excitement, along with plenty of dark moments, which are aimed at more of an adult audience. In fact, despite it's rating, it's the single darkest episode in the entire DC Animated Universe (not counting the film Return of the Joker).

@SCR4TP-TP wrote:
    Besides, I hate the looks of the characters. It makes me take nothing about it seriously

Of course, not everyone is going to be swayed by every game that Telltale makes, but art style isn't everything. Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People has really simple character designs too, and Telltale managed to make an enjoyable game in that universe.

SCR4P-TP posted: »

First off I'm not one of the people that insult others and spew their hate everywhere but instead keep that opinion to themselves unless som

• edited July 2015

I think it's better to use examples that aren't as old. Felidae was allowed on a kids channel many years ago despite the blood and murder going on in the movie |D In general, some kids movies and series were alot less "soft" as they are now. Watership Down for example.

I don't really like that one either, not my kind of humor from what I've seen. I think they could do better, style-wise. Maybe instead of using the regular model looks from MC animations they could make their own or something. I don't know, it just doesn't appeal to me.

@SCR4TP-TP wrote: If there's no real drama because it's for kids it gets kind of boring, you know? That's not always the case. T

• because the trailer wasn't enough to win people over which is what a trailer should have done at this point, imo it was cringe worthy and just terrible and the fact that the only good thing i could point out in the trailer was dave fennoy then something is wrong this will probably be the first telltale game i will definitely skip it is still terrible imo

• Well lemme tell you. I want mindcrap, k? If you haven't play the game, don't judge it

Not mine. That's been the nickname for Minecraft for years.

@SCR4-TP wrote:
    I think it's better to use examples that aren't as old. Felidae was allowed on a kids channel many years ago despite the blood and murder going on in the movie |D In general, some kids movies and series were alot less "soft" as they are now. Watership Down for example.

There's still examples of adult material that is allowed to be placed in programs that are rated for children. Take Before the Dawn, an episode of Young Justice that was aired in 2013. In the episode, Miss Martian believed someone to be a murderer and lobotomized him for it. Like Over the Edge, it was also rated TV-Y7 despite the adult content.

In general, it actually seems like adult content is rated lower when it's in a product with a cartoon aesthetic. So, just because Telltale is aiming for around an E rating for this game doesn't mean that it has to be devoid of adult situations.

SCR4P-TP posted: »

I think it's better to use examples that aren't as old. Felidae was allowed on a kids channel many years ago despite the blood and murder go

• People said TFTB was a bad choice, along with TWD.

And look who was thoroughly proved wrong.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.