'A Nest of Vipers' Ending Discussion [MOD NOTICE: Thread contains Episode 5 spoilers]

Alt text

That was the most depressing ending ever! Jesus Christ! Seeing Asher go down like that broke my heart. I can't fathom the feels that would occur if Rodrik had died there. Beskha's reaction had me tearing up too.

Rodrik better get revenge for this. Fucking Royland had to let Gryff free, didn't he? I'll never forgive him for this.

Comments

• I'm rewinding episode 4 just to maim Gryff.

• What is worse of this all is that the WhiteHills did this just because we locked his son up. I regret that I didn't blinded Gryff, if I've done this maybe he would have a reason to attack us, but they saw us with our new army and they decided to start a war either way, that means that I'll never show mercy to a Whitehill again, not even Gwyn, I'll tear apart their fucking house and leave their castle to the pit fighters.

• Glad I'm not the only one considering this. That might rub the smug smile off his face!

Jaesong1 posted: »

I'm rewinding episode 4 just to maim Gryff.

• does anyone have footage where asher runs away and rodrik stays?

• I want to know too, although I'll probably cry again so maybe I don't want to see.

does anyone have footage where asher runs away and rodrik stays?

• edited July 2015

I just saw a twitch stream where they replayed that scene to show that option... unfortunately I can't find the past broadcast video but it is twitch.tv/ryan_shaw. Feel free to pm me if you want to know what happens. Even both are very sad to see go I probably will actually opt to leave Rodrick behind when I am actually able to play the game because I personally like that option a bit better (the lesser of 2 evils :/)

does anyone have footage where asher runs away and rodrik stays?

• edited July 2015

I swear if Telltale won't let us kill Gryff, I might just start pulling at my own hair - I need to kill him, forget avenging Ethan thanks to Ramsay's plot armor, forget Gwyn's attempts to forge peace (I do wonder if she'll find out about Asher's death), I must kill either Ludd or Gryff, preferably both... but knowing this is Game of Thrones this might be another vengeance we're denied...

Overall however, this was the BEST episode in the series so far.

• Kill Gryff will be just the begining, I hope we can tear their house to the ground, and kill every last WHitehill, just like Robert did to the Targaryens.

Harian96 posted: »

I swear if Telltale won't let us kill Gryff, I might just start pulling at my own hair - I need to kill him, forget avenging Ethan thanks to

• Down to babes in their beds.

Kill Gryff will be just the begining, I hope we can tear their house to the ground, and kill every last WHitehill, just like Robert did to the Targaryens.

• U mean just like Tywin did to the Reynes,Dany and Vyserys escaped Robert.

Kill Gryff will be just the begining, I hope we can tear their house to the ground, and kill every last WHitehill, just like Robert did to the Targaryens.

• Wait Does Asher seriously f***ing die?

• The thing about The Whitehills is that other then Gwyn they are completely unrelatable and evil and annoying at least in the series the Lannisters are interesting and Tyrion,Jaime even Cersei are relatable and interesting to watch.I dont look at the Lannisters as villains.Same goes for the Boltons Roose is interesting to watch because of his calm nature and his epic voice.Even Ramsay is fun to watch coz of his sadistic humour and sex with Myranda.
    And the Freys and Greyjoys we dont see often because the show forgot about them

I swear if Telltale won't let us kill Gryff, I might just start pulling at my own hair - I need to kill him, forget avenging Ethan thanks to

• I didn't like how they did the traitor thing, I found that to be really bad writing (this, Arthur's fate and the ending were the only things I got spoiled). This was a bigger bummer than the ending, to me (maybe the biggest bummer in the whole game so far, as I can't think of anything worse), and if Mira's parts are not interesting on this episode, I can see it being the one I like the least. The Asher or Rodrik thing I kinda foreseen happening because I thought it was how Telltale would deal with two playable characters being on the same place, and while I decided months ago I would pick Rodrik over Asher if this was ever the case (because Rodrik looks more fitting to be a lord than Asher does, in my opinion), the way the situation is presented makes me feel conflicted. It feels wrong to let Asher die for Rodrik's mistakes.

Guess I'll pick different options for different saves if I don't decide by Tuesday.

• There's a choice between him and rodrik.

Wait Does Asher seriously f***ing die?

• I got a feeling that the "canon" choice for WHO STAYS BEHIND is Rodrik. It isn't very fitting to see Asher die there with Gryff smiling at him. They haven't seen Asher in years, they have no conflict with him aside from the fact that Asher is a forrester, meanwhile Rodrik on the other hand, Gryff can't stand him.

• Damn it of course lol the only two protagonist i like. Obviously I gotta choose Asher.

Gary-Oak posted: »

There's a choice between him and rodrik.

• Either way being determinant tells me either whoever didn't stay behind will die anyways in episode 6 or season 2 won't be the Forrester's

• Plus Asher gets an arrow in the leg, so we will still be playing as one of them, since either way they'll have a limp.

Either way being determinant tells me either whoever didn't stay behind will die anyways in episode 6 or season 2 won't be the Forrester's

• Well there was that whole thing with Asher and Gryff's sister so maybe he still gets some satisfaction because of that but for the most part I agree, he and Rodrik have more of a history that we can see.

• edited July 2015

I'm kind of regretting coming into this thread right now and finding out that one of the main characters die (I really need to ban myself from the web as I can't resist spoilers or lets plays), but that's my own fault.

Anyway . . .

If I'm reading this right and what people have said is correct, either Rodrik or Asher dies. This means that what Telltale said about shaping the fate of the characters was indeed true, or at least it is for a short while. All it makes me think about is how idiotic people can be really. Hopefully the one that doesn't die sticks around for episode 6 as well, and I imagine that means there could be quite a bit of optional/extra content some people won't see if one of the characters is still playable. The end was always the most likely point for the story to diverge as there's less content needed.

Anyway, sorry. Don't mean to be a downer and complain, but yeah . . . It's good that there's some freedom there too and I just hope it teaches people to not judge an unfinished product. While it was likely that things wouldn't change much etc. based on Telltale's past products, there was always the chance they could surprise us with things being unfinished.

(And yeah, I'd guess season 2 may not follow the Foresters due to all of the content that would be needed to account for a determinant playable character. Or if it does, it would likely follow the non-determinant characters. Like let's say Gared and Mira are still alive but in trouble, season 2 could continue their story and maybe add some non-forrester characters into the mix. I would like to be proven wrong on that though. It's just that it's the same workload problem as with TWD S3 when it comes to accounting for TWD S2's endings.)

• I'm picking Asher. It's more interesting from a story perspective if it's the exiled son who has to lead the House when they need him most. Also, its not quite as emotionally powerful if the Whitehills murder Asher as he's had no prior on-screen relationship with them.

I also hope we get to patch things up between Ash and Gwyn.

• Strange, I thought the Canon choice would be to leave Asher behind - end his character arc in an epic light - falls in love with the girl from the wrong house - disgraced, disinherited and exiled by his late father - living life as a sellsword across Essos - then hearing of his family's troubles back home after the Red Wedding and ventures to return home to help them - in the process he changes from a brash young man into a mature and levelheaded leader - and in the end he gives one final noble sacrifice that will forever redeem his past disgrace - saving Rodrik's life and his House's lord - Rodrik survived the Red Wedding and I couldn't let him end up dying in another act of treachery - Asher's death on the other hand was a tragic sacrifice he made for his family- yes he could have done so much more - but Rodrik dying at the hands of the Whitehills with Gryff's smug face lording over us, I wouldn't let that happen - Rodrik survived the Red Wedding and he must survive until the final episode.

• Does anything change in the final scene if the traitor is spared?

• I've only seen two walkthroughs on Twitch so far, one where Asher is left behind, the other where Rodrik is - the traitor also differed in both but in either case the player chose to execute him. I've heard that if you let them live that traitor does end up redeeming themselves in some way.

JohnKersky posted: »

Does anything change in the final scene if the traitor is spared?

• But Rodrik isn't crippled anymore.

LeFedore posted: »

Plus Asher gets an arrow in the leg, so we will still be playing as one of them, since either way they'll have a limp.

• Can you please send the link where Rodrik gets left behind? :) if you still have it.

I've only seen two walkthroughs on Twitch so far, one where Asher is left behind, the other where Rodrik is - the traitor also differed in b

• http://www.twitch.tv/nwotheroach/v/8011871

Its painful to look at, I'd have preferred to leave Asher behind, even though he was my favourite, I just felt the canon story would have have had Asher sacrifice himself for his house.

Can you please send the link where Rodrik gets left behind? if you still have it.

• The Lannister - Reynes thing is the sitiuation in The Rains of Castamere? Then yay new "Rains of Castamere" version Forrester - Whitehill :)

greensenpai posted: »

U mean just like Tywin did to the Reynes,Dany and Vyserys escaped Robert.

• This Episode was a weak one. Imo: Ep1 < Ep4 < Ep3 = Ep 5 < Ep2

Abeille posted: »

I didn't like how they did the traitor thing, I found that to be really bad writing (this, Arthur's fate and the ending were the only things

• Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too.. All this time Asher has been trying to get an army for his family, it seemed right that now, in the end, he sacrificed himself... But it's soooo saaaad

http://www.twitch.tv/nwotheroach/v/8011871 Its painful to look at, I'd have preferred to leave Asher behind, even though he was my favourite, I just felt the canon story would have have had Asher sacrifice himself for his house.

• Exactly - obviously the surviving brother is going to die in Episode 6 - but if Asher had to die I wanted him to make the ultimate sacrifice for his family, truly showcasing his devotion and arguable redemption - its what I want the exiled son to be remembered for, he honored his family to the end.

I wanted Rodrik to survive the Red Wedding for a reason - I can't let him die in that scene, he survived death once and I want him to live it out to the end until his inevitable demise in Episode 6 - plus since Gryff can't be killed yet, I'm hoping that he can in the final episode and I want Rodrik to do it.

I think Asher's determinant death was a satisfying end to his story since Episode 2. The only thing I'm worried about now is how the Whitehills might desecrate his body. If Rodrik is left behind then its even worse: He had the Forrester Greatsword with him.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too.. All this time Asher has been trying to get an army for his family, it seemed right that now, in the end, he sacrificed himself... But it's soooo saaaad

• edited July 2015

What a shame, I was really hyped for this one.

And I'm starting to wonder... If this is the story of how House Forrester became Clan Forrester.

"Trackers and hunters sworn to Deepwood with clan names like Forrester and Woods, Branch and Bole."

This Episode was a weak one. Imo: Ep1 < Ep4 < Ep3 = Ep 5 < Ep2

• After replaying, I chose Rodrik at the end over Asher, but I'm going to stick with Asher.

Asher sacrificing himself makes the most sense to me. It seems like an Asher thing to do, and after all this time it just wouldn't be right killing Ludd and/or Gryff with anyone other than Rodrik. I couldn't stand seeing Gryff's smug face and his pulsating third eye, knowing that he won a victory over Rodrik. Not in my house.

• and after all this time it just wouldn't be right killing Ludd and/or Gryff with anyone other than Rodrik.

Gods, you are right.
    And just when I decided to sacrifice Rodrik, you made me think again. You are absolutely right. I can't let that happen.

After replaying, I chose Rodrik at the end over Asher, but I'm going to stick with Asher. Asher sacrificing himself makes the most sense

• Indeed - its a painfully regrettable choice either way but when push comes to shove, only one character's death feels truly right in that scene: that of Asher's.

and after all this time it just wouldn't be right killing Ludd and/or Gryff with anyone other than Rodrik. Gods, you are right. And

• edited July 2015

An Asher/Gwen reunion is appealing, I have to admit... But I plan on destroying the Whitehills, root and stem, if Telltale allows it.

and after all this time it just wouldn't be right killing Ludd and/or Gryff with anyone other than Rodrik. Gods, you are right. And

• Yes, but think about how devastated Gwyn will be hearing of Asher's death at the hands of her family - I like her but I really want her to feel the guilt rein down on her.

An Asher/Gwen reunion is appealing, I have to admit... But I plan on destroying the Whitehills, root and stem, if Telltale allows it.

• :^) I can't express how much I want to slaughter every last Whitehill.

• I don't think the surviving brother will die in Episode 6. What kind of confrontation will be with Torrhen Whitehill without an adult Forrester? I would prefer the Forresters story to end in one season with some characters come-back in season 2 (Malcolm, for example). Also, losing 2 most charismatic characters in the series (Asher and Rodrik) is not a good decision.

• In my eyes only Rodrik has the right to kill Ludd/Gryff as Asher doesn't have history with them like Rodrik does.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.