Does anyone else not like Fiona? Like, at all?

1235»

Comments

• Wow you people are rude. Excuse my F'ing language, I had no idea annoying grammar nazis existed on this forum.

Phoenix127 posted: »

I don't really like the characters only because they don't really have any flavor to their personalities they are just too generic to me. I

• Yeah, some are way to invested in fictional characters and will go right for the jugular, as if you have insulted their own mother. This thread has crossed over to the creepy, and obsessive, time to back out and close the door once you pass the threshold.

Wow you people are rude. Excuse my F'ing language, I had no idea annoying grammar nazis existed on this forum.

• My "problem" with it - it supposed to be a joke. But you turning it into some social justice bs.

Don't act like me wanting Fiona to be treated as her actual character instead of being an ostensibly perfect Mary Sue is the same thing as me wanting to see her abused for my own amusement, that's pretty insulting.

Saying that we should be able to abuse someone to teach him his place only because otherwise someone somewhere won't like a character and finds it unfair is pretty damn insulting on itself. As well as calling a character "Mary Sue" only because so far she wasn't abused as much as a male character for no goddamn reason other than to make them even, what a time to be alive.

Off_Ground posted: »

I don't want some kind of ultra-realism, I want a compelling narrative which it's my impression that the game is supposed to be. Fiona getti

• edited August 2015

I don't really like the characters only because they don't really have any flavor to their personalities they are just too generic to me. I mean why did we love Kenny, Lee, Rodrick, Asher, or Clementine? It was because they were badasses and we could connect to them

Really? Welp, that only shows that people are really different. From that list I can say that I liked more or less only Lee and Clem (but also that I wasn't attached to them that much). The rest are just the definition of "generic" to me. Two "nice" guys and one not so nice and just an average guy (and... people love Kenny? I haven't read that much of TWD threads so I genuinely have no idea. All the people I watched on youtube were kinda meh about him during both seasons, I didn't even know the fans liked him). And that goes to majority of characters in GOT and TWD,tbh. The absolute opposite of that is TftB where even characters like August and Vasquez are kinda cool and interesting to watch.

I don't really like the characters only because they don't really have any flavor to their personalities they are just too generic to me. I

• why did we love Kenny

enter image description here

• For fuck's sake, leaving Vaughn and Rhys out into the desert was beyond Fiona and Sasha's control.

Ok, I really didn't want to get involved in this discussion, because it's a bit too hostile for my tastes, but 'horrible things that aren't

• Heh, I'm not the one with social justice bs tendencies here, I'm just criticizing one aspect of the writing because it's ruining my immersion half of the time. I really don't see the big joke in one of the two characters we get to play being a Mary Sue.

Saying that we should be able to abuse someone to teach him his place only because otherwise someone somewhere won't like a character and finds it unfair is pretty damn insulting on itself.

Okay, again with the straw man. Did I say that? Where did I say that? Please explain to me where and how I articulated the desire for us to be able to abuse Fiona, and how exactly me hypothetically saying that would be an insult to you. If you can't refute my actual arguments then be quiet and go away, don't just make stuff up and throw it in my face like it's my fault.

What I want is consistency in the narrative. Tales From The Borderlands either is or is not a game where people who bite off more than they can chew tend to get creamed for it, where people generally dress appropriately to their current status(excepting the insane and/or rich for obvious reasons), where your treatment of people can actually negatively affect your relationship with them and where you're sometimes just that unlucky.

Rhys(whose weird getup is commented on, who was most likely dressing up to impress his boss and who is implied not to have any sense of fashion), Vaughn and pretty much every other character seems to follow these conventions except Fiona and Sasha, and even Sasha follows a few. Fiona is inexplicably not subjected to any of these perceived trends of the game, which means that when I play her and when I interact with her it doesn't feel like she fits into the narrative along with the other characters and the things that happen to them. Basically, she's somehow immune to otherwise consistent realities of the setting.

Mary Sue. Sucky, inconsistent writing in an otherwise great game.

(If you don't at least try to address the arguments in this post instead of pretending that I'm saying something else entirely which you can then ridicule, I'm ending this discussion.)

DeityD posted: »

My "problem" with it - it supposed to be a joke. But you turning it into some social justice bs. Don't act like me wanting Fiona to be

• edited August 2015

I love Fiona. She's a BADASS ;)

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator
    edited August 2015

(and... people love Kenny? I haven't read that much of TWD threads so I genuinely have no idea. All the people I watched on youtube were kinda meh about him during both seasons, I didn't even know the fans liked him)

I'd say a fair amount of people like Kenny. I've probably watched (and no kidding here) close to... shit, maybe 50 different playthroughs of TWD from various people on youtube? (and if you're gonna ask why I devote that much time to watching playthroughs, A) I like watching other peoples' reactions to the game and find it weirdly entertaining, B) To see if people accidentally stumble across random or hidden choices/scenes that people don't know about, and C) I have an unhealthy amount of free time). I'd say a majority of those players, including a majority of the viewers/commenters on the respective playthroughs liked Kenny, or at the very least had a positive disposition towards him. He's definitely a polarizing character, that's for certain, but I'd still say that there's more people that have positive opinions of him than negative ones.

I mean, he is more of less one of the game's most iconic characters after all. After Lee and Clementine, Kenny's probably the third-most recognized character from the game

DeityD posted: »

• Why do so many people seem to dislike Fiona? She's one of the few female characters in games I actually like because she's a pretty tough woman, but its not overdone. I like strong female characters, and also the Steampunk theme on top of that. She's not whiny but she's also not a superwoman, wich makes her pretty human. I like it.

• is this thread still going?

anyway, i haven't had any reason to not like her, however episode 3 made me like her more, she lightened up a bit a got more fun a goofy, not to say she was a party pooper before, but showing her fun side added more to her character

• I'm more indifferent to Fiona than anything. She just didn't really leave much of an impression on me in the first two episodes, so in episode 3 it was really nice to see a bit more of a human side to her. I just sort of felt like she wasn't a very fun character, that she was just a little more serious that she needed to be to work a nice contrast to Rhys.

I liked how she was written in episode 3, it showed how she could be awkward and funny too which was really nice to see. But still I'd like to see her be called out on some of her shit every now and again. I think that would make her a lot more sympathetic and likeable.

If there's one character I dislike in this game (and I like almost all of them, even the antagonists) it's Sasha. God she annoys me. She's even worse for being bitchy and not being called out on it in my opinion. I've tried so hard to convince myself to like her but I just can't, and it's a shame because as I said I like and care about ever single other character.

• edited August 2015

I think Fiona is a fantastic character!

Crydog posted: »

I don't get the hate for Fiona I love her sarcasam and I think Laura Bailey is doing a fantastic job

• No.

She's my favourite character in this game and I don't get what is wrong with her...

• Oh yeah. This hate thread filled with extremely petty reasons is still going. Delusional mindset here honestly.

is this thread still going? anyway, i haven't had any reason to not like her, however episode 3 made me like her more, she lightened up a

• enter image description here

She's my favourite character in this game and I don't get what is wrong with her...

• The thread had ironically just gone quiet before you poked your head up again just to insult people. Again. Nice going, buddy.

J-Master posted: »

Oh yeah. This hate thread filled with extremely petty reasons is still going. Delusional mindset here honestly.

• Keep sticking with that delusional mindset and I'll gladly keep poking around to call out on your bullshit. ;)

Off_Ground posted: »

The thread had ironically just gone quiet before you poked your head up again just to insult people. Again. Nice going, buddy.

• edited August 2015

That's funny, I was under the distinct impression that you were on your way out. Between "I'm done with this" and "I'll gladly keep poking around to "call out on your bullshit"", I'm not seeing you saying or doing anything to either effect, much less anything constructive. People have obviously expressed their opinions, yourself regrettably included, and there's not much point in kicking around here anymore. Just stop yammering, will you?

J-Master posted: »

Keep sticking with that delusional mindset and I'll gladly keep poking around to call out on your bullshit.

• I'll admit that I Fiona didn't win me over in the first episode. I do think she really grows on you in episode 2 though, by episode 3 she ended up on top of my female protoganist list. So now I love playing as both Rhys and Fiona, feels great.

So yeah... I hope you'll be able to find the moment where Fiona shines, I'm certain that that moment will come! (I never really disliked her but I can imagine how annoying it must be)

• Amen to that.

AgentZ46 posted: »

I love Fiona! not as much as Rhys though, but to be fair it's hard to compare to Rhys

• Fiona is a badass.

• So are you saying you weren't being sarcastic? If not, I misunderstood. :)

Wow you people are rude. Excuse my F'ing language, I had no idea annoying grammar nazis existed on this forum.

• Going to resurrect an old thread. I'm glad someone brought this up, and have to agree in general. I tried to play both Rhys and Fiona as non-douchey as possible, and it's a challenge for both but for different reasons.

In the first episode you could play Rhys competent and non-douchey for the most part, but they force the clown role on you more and more throughout the game. Somehow despite dealing with the bandits in the start of episode 1, they force him to be bumbling and lacking confidence more and more after that. Don't get me wrong, the "is that you Eric" bandit scene was hilarious, but showed early on he was getting a very different treatment to the girls. I've tried some of the douchier conversation options, and the game quickly puts Rhys in his place if he goes outside of the box they've written him in.

With Fiona I tried to go against the grain, but even choosing the most supportive options she'll still continually belittles and puts down Rhys and Vaughn without me wanting her to. If you reverse the roles, most of the stuff she does we'd despise the boys if they were doing it to the girls. She gets away with it because she's a "strong, confident woman"... but truly confident people don't need to behave like that. I know some people in the thread couldn't see it, being blind to double standards is their limitation.

Mass Effect gave a much better option of playing a genuinely strong female character. You could play the "hard love" renegade type, saying truthful things that needed to be said while standing your ground - all without the pettiness or bitchiness of Fiona. I think the writers of Tales of the Borderlands honestly think that's to make "badass" female character she needs a bumbling male character to continually criticise - sadly a common writing convention these days. Oh well, still been a fun series so far.

• No I don't see all that, but there is something that irks me about her character and I just can't figure it out.

• I don’t think it’s so much being blind to double standards so much so that it makes sense for Rhys and Vaughn (two goofball Hyperion dweebs who spent most of their time being pampered on a clean space station) to be one upped by Fiona and Sasha (two Pandoran hustlers who spent most of their lives trying making ends meet on a backwater planet). There’s going to be obvious differences between the two extremes.

As far as how Fiona treats Rhys, well almost every character in this story is a bit of a selfish asshole out for themselves even Rhys and Vaughn have pretty selfish motivations and the game even mentions that they did horrible things to get what they want in the beginning. Personally speaking, I feel as though the people who hate Fiona and say she’s public enemy no.1 but treat the other characters as mere puppy dogs are spinning things a little out of context and taking things way too seriously. Rhys and Vaughn are a part of Hyperion and to Pandorans, Hyperion is practically the devil who have a history of being warmongering, selfish backstabbers who only care about getting rich so there’s a decent reason as to why Fiona and Sasha belittle them as much they do.

It’s down to taste really, I don’t think it makes much sense for Fiona to be abused as much as Rhys considering she’s not a fish out of water who is out of her element half the time and actually knows to get into a scrap considering she lives on a violent planet where getting into a scrap is bit of an everyday occurrence.

RJKHey posted: »

Going to resurrect an old thread. I'm glad someone brought this up, and have to agree in general. I tried to play both Rhys and Fiona as non

• I like Fiona! I think she a cool character! ;)

Sign in to comment in this discussion.