Does anyone else not like Fiona? Like, at all?

Her character seems way out of place. A classy, feminine, Bond girl-esque ostensibly smooth con artist who grew up on the streets of Pandora, stealing to survive? That just doesn't click. Her sister is a model Pandoran gun-nut who is jaded, aggressive and a bit of a sociopath wearing relatively practical clothes, who is also perfectly willing to use her sexuality as a weapon. That's about what I'd expect from a canny young woman who grew up in this kind of environment - in the Borderlands universe, that is. Fiona seems overly compassionate, naive, sheltered and pretentious in comparison, not to mention her weird fashion which made sense when she was impersonating a rich academic but is absolutely silly otherwise, and they're supposed to have grown up together. I mean, what gives?

Am I the only one who feels this?

Comments

• so you don't like fiona... because she's not sasha...?

• I don't like her because she's two thirds cliché and doesn't make sense as the product of her upbringing, or for that matter the setting.

rhonu posted: »

so you don't like fiona... because she's not sasha...?

• Fiona scores mad touch goals though

• Eh, it's a style. Mad Moxxi's cloths aren't exactly practical either. I think it just goes with the whole space western feel.

Also I wouldn't really call sasha a sociopath, nothing has really suggested that much. Just very aggressive.

• Well I think that's pretty common in the Borderlands universe to be fair. Tiny Tina is 13 years old and if this universe was "realistic" (or whatever you want it to be) she probably wouldn't be the happy-go-lucky girl she is, she would be a traumatized child or something like that.

But yeah, I'm not saying you're wrong, maybe under a Very Super Serious light, Fiona doesn't make sense. I like her anyways. I don't want her to be like Sasha because as much as I like Sasha, it would be boring if they were both the same thing. But it's probably that I just don't expect this game to make sense, and I enjoy it that way.

Off_Ground posted: »

I don't like her because she's two thirds cliché and doesn't make sense as the product of her upbringing, or for that matter the setting.

• edited July 2015

All the ways you describe Fiona, I never saw any of that, lol

• Mad Moxxi's clothes make a modicum of sense for an entertainer and bar hostess, Fiona's weirdo corporate cowgirl outfit doesn't for a thief and con artist. Not unless trying to sell "vault keys" under the guise of renegade archeologists is all she's ever done. And I'm really pretty sure that Sasha is a sociopath. Along with most of Pandora's population.

LoseMyHome posted: »

Eh, it's a style. Mad Moxxi's cloths aren't exactly practical either. I think it just goes with the whole space western feel. Also I wouldn't really call sasha a sociopath, nothing has really suggested that much. Just very aggressive.

• edited July 2015

It's not the lack of realism that bugs me, it's how out of place she is even within the confines of the setting. And her social class. And her immediate family. I can't take her seriously as a character. It's like they took a bunch of bad action hero clichés from the eighties, crammed them together and shoehorned her into the game because they thought we'd like a super special female lead, and now they're not only making me "roleplay" this monstrosity to play the rest of the game, they're actually pretending that she's the sanest character.

It's good that some people are enjoying her but I can't be the only one she rubs the wrong way, can I?

Well I think that's pretty common in the Borderlands universe to be fair. Tiny Tina is 13 years old and if this universe was "realistic" (or

• Borderlands always have this mixture of science fiction, fantasy and western. I personally really like Fiona's outfit and it fits the setting.

It's not the lack of realism that bugs me, it's how out of place she is even within the confines of the setting. And her social class. And h

• I definitely prefer Fiona over Sasha, especially since episode 3 where we actually got to know the former a bit better.

• I'm pretty sure Tiny Tina is traumatized. When she killed that bandit that killed her family she said in a dark voice "Best Tea party ever...."
    I like Tiny Tina, she's my 2nd favorite character :D

Well I think that's pretty common in the Borderlands universe to be fair. Tiny Tina is 13 years old and if this universe was "realistic" (or

• Fiona seems overly compassionate, naive

What the f did I just read? Bro, you need to share whatever you've been smoking. It's a good stuff apparently.

• Not wildly compassionate or naive, but she's noticeably gentler than Sasha who is herself pretty light-hearted for the setting.

DeityD posted: »

Fiona seems overly compassionate, naive What the f did I just read? Bro, you need to share whatever you've been smoking. It's a good stuff apparently.

• "A classy, feminine, bond girl-esque ostensibly smooth con artist"

"Overly compassionate, naive, sheltered and pretentious"

Are we... Are we playing the same game?

I genuinely wouldn't use any of those terms to define Fiona...

Maybe overly compassionate? But with the huge, hulking addendum of "by Pandoran standards"?

• I prefer Sasha over Fiona buuuuuuut I don't agree that Finoa's compassionate xD and I definitely dont despise her

• edited July 2015

Eeeeeh... while I'm not a huge fan of Fiona as a character, I don't think she's out of place in the setting, personality or wardrobe wise. She doesn't scream 'bond girl' to me at all, she screams 'snake-oil salesman', and that fits the world very well, imo.

I don't like Sasha precisely because she's a walking 'hot-headed irascible gun-nut' stereotype. I'm just really bored of that one.

• I love Fiona! not as much as Rhys though, but to be fair it's hard to compare to Rhys :p

• edited July 2015

I don't know where you got this from. Of course you can choose such options, but by default she's rather distant with everyone but Sasha and doesn't let people get too close. That's not to mention her character's "theme" that started right in the beginning of her story - "don't trust anyone, not even your family". I think you're just confusing loyalty and naivety.

Not wildly compassionate or naive, but she's noticeably gentler than Sasha who is herself pretty light-hearted for the setting.

• I will say that before Episode 3, I considered a pretty bland character, I much preferred playing as Rhys and whenever it shifted to her perspective, I was anxiously waiting to get back in control of Rhys. However, Episode 3 completely changed that for me, I still prefer playing as Rhys, but Fiona became a lot more likable in that episode and really became an interesting character. She went from one of my least favorite Telltale PC's to one of my favorites in one episode.

• We all have our opinions. I like Fiona for her classy-yet-sassy attitude (at least how I play her) and yet she still has room to develop her character.

• edited July 2015

What, and 'corporate man turned action hero' with a 'geeky sidekick' and a 'woman he's friends with giving him advice and help from behind a computer screen' isn't at all cliche?

I don't like her because she's two thirds cliché and doesn't make sense as the product of her upbringing, or for that matter the setting.

• BatRhys.

Flog61 posted: »

What, and 'corporate man turned action hero' with a 'geeky sidekick' and a 'woman he's friends with giving him advice and help from behind a computer screen' isn't at all cliche?

• Well, considering the 'corporation' is 'evil' in the setting, the 'hero' sucks at the action part, the 'sidekick' is buff, over-competent, and suspicious, and the 'behind-the-screen woman' is a possible traitor, I'd say the cliche is somewhat subverted.. ;) But like I said elsewhere in the thread, I don't think Fiona is cliche or out-of-place at all either, so kudos to TT for creating engaging (if obviously polarizing) characters.

Flog61 posted: »

• Fiona is awesome !

• Yeah !

_DIO_ posted: »

Fiona is awesome !

• edited July 2015

I personally really like Fiona's outfit and it fits the setting.

And you're definitely not alone. I think it's really well-designed, because while it's "feminine" and "classy" it's still practical. And it's the first time I've seen someone wearing heels and it's actually not ridiculous (I mean, because it's not high heels and they look stable enough to walk and run).

Idk, I'm just really digging her style and I think it's especially cool since irl I'm almost always wear clothes more like Sasha's and dislike things like that (well I guess mainly because usually they're not even half as cool). So imo TTG did a great job here, I mean it's not an easy task to find a balance between stylish, feminine and badass but I think they did.

Borderlands always have this mixture of science fiction, fantasy and western. I personally really like Fiona's outfit and it fits the setting.

• Fiona seems overly compassionate, naive, sheltered and pretentious in comparison

If this feels out of place for you... then play her character differently.

As for her dress... I personally think it makes sense. In the game she claims that she is not a vault hunter and even says her only talent is talking until people get confused which more closely fits her line of work as a con artist. Therefore why should she feel the need to dress like a vault hunter? I would assume that she dresses so richly because she wants her marks to think that she is wealthy.

• I know what you mean. I'm guessing they made her that way because she's a playable character and people couldn't identify with a violent and bandit-like personality like Sasha's. They did pretty good and clear character drawing with the Hyperion boys and arguably with Sasha but Fiona is a cluster of character traits that don't work with each other nor with her background. Also her quickly built attachment to Athena... ugh... it was out of place.

• nah, she is great. And I think the way she dresses says a little bit of her character. She does not want to live this kind of life -> she dresses fancy, keeps distance from the "regual pandoran".
    And it shows that Fiona is older and more experienced than Sasha. Fionas clothes are more.. adult. While Sashas design looks more playful -> for me she appears younger, not as experienced and more curious.
    And before anybody says "Do you want to say sasha does not have any expirience??? hurdurdur"
    No, I think she have. but Fiona is the one taking care of her from an early age and is older. She always had to keep an eye open to watch out for her baby sis. I think Fiona puts a lot of pressure on herself to submit Sasha a better life. Sasha can watch for herself, we all know that. But she is still Fionas little sister. And this is something that makes Fiona really likeable for me.

willing to use her sexuality as a weapon

maybe Fiona can do that too, we don't know anything from their other cons

overly compassionate, naive, sheltered and pretentious

..what?

• Fiona was easier for me to stomach in Episode 3, but yeah, she still seems pretty out of place.

• Fiona's my favorite character though ;___;

• I don't like Fiona. I love Sasha though. She and Rhys belong together too.

• now I am curious, do you not like Fiona because of your ship or does it have other reasons?

I don't like Fiona. I love Sasha though. She and Rhys belong together too.

• Both. Fiona seems unlikable and unrelatable, and Just a plain Bad character in my Opinion. She was really cool in Episode 3, and I hope she stays that way, But I don't think she will. And I ship Rhysha until the day I die.

Kruzii posted: »

now I am curious, do you not like Fiona because of your ship or does it have other reasons?

• Not the only who doesn't like Fiona. I tend to groan when it's time to play her. It's not her clothing as much as it's a certain arrogant swagger she seems to have and the near constant needling of the others as stupid, inept, worthless. Even Jack can grudgingly say 'good job', but not Fiona. What was suppose to be a woman learning her potential instead is someone who is just...well bitchy.

• edited July 2015

I liked Fiona before, I like her even more now. I don't where some of these haters are getting the out of place or bitchy attitude from, seems a bit silly.

• edited July 2015

I really like her style, but her personality is kinda meh, in my opinion.

• Yeah apparently women can't be confident without being labeled as bitches by audience. Nothing new.

Not the only who doesn't like Fiona. I tend to groan when it's time to play her. It's not her clothing as much as it's a certain arrogant sw

• While I very much agree that this is an issue in many cases, I also feel like a fair number of (probably well meaning) creators trying to write 'progressive' female characters overcompensate something fierce, and do end up with plain unlikable female characters.

The thing is, it's perfectly fine for a character to be flawed, but they have to be called out on it, or the flaws have to be somehow acknowledged, or else the character is at risk of becoming a Mary Sue, whose every character flaw somehow turns into an advantage for them. Rhys can act overconfident and selfish and always pays for it, but Fiona and Sasha often act similarly and don't (though ep.3 was a little better in that regard, so I have hope).

DeityD posted: »

Yeah apparently women can't be confident without being labeled as bitches by audience. Nothing new.

• Sorry for the wall of text, if someone doesn't feel like reading, feel free to skip (obviously). I don't intent to start an argument or anything, that's just my opinion (and it's not as likely to change as OP's opinion) so.

The thing is, it might be not as much the writers "fault" but like... you know there was a study where students were told to describe their teachers/professors positive and negative traits (or something like that, too bad I didn't save the link) and it's really interesting that not only those qualities were different (like for male teachers they were going with "smart" and "funny" while for females it was something like "kind" and I forgot the other one they were mainly using, but I hope you get the idea) but for negative traits in female teachers they were using words like "annoying" (yet again I don't remember the rest, I think it was "demanding" and "stern"). And that is practically the same thing. But especially the word annoying hits the spot, because it's been used so many times to describe female characters that people don't like, and it was used for Fiona in another similar topic.
    And now there's a word "bitchy". I also saw many times people say this about female characters, it's especially noticeable now with the release of Witcher 3. I mean Yennefer of course. Even those who were saying they (kinda) like her and they were all "she's beautiful, smart, blah blah blah but she's a btch". So it all boils down to one thing, people don't like when female characters don't give a sht about pc and what he wants. They don't like it when they treat him not as someone "wise" and someone they should be listening to, but just as equal (and it's absolutely horrific if they mock him). They don't like it when they don't "admire" him, praise him, agree with him. "A girl who's got a brain, who always speaks her mind" is only good as long as she adores pc (like Motrrigan I guess), but only as long as she adores him no matter what because god forbid to question his deeds or even worse, doing something that pc is not comfortable with and doesn't agree with - even if it's a right thing to do or for the greater good or "should be done" or whatever, because in that case = still bitchy and wilful (again,Yennefer).

The thing is, it's perfectly fine for a character to be flawed, but they have to be called out on it, or the flaws have to be somehow acknowledged, or else the character is at risk of becoming a Mary Sue, whose every character flaw somehow turns into an advantage for them. Rhys can act overconfident and selfish and always pays for it, but Fiona and Sasha often act similarly and don't (though ep.3 was a little better in that regard, so I have hope).

I can't really think of them not paying for what they've done. August tried to kill them. Vasquez tried to kill boys. And both parties escaped unharmed. The only thing that's different is how much Rhys' been physically... punished for his attitude (I mean all the hitting in the face of course), but most of those is just player's fault.

While I very much agree that this is an issue in many cases, I also feel like a fair number of (probably well meaning) creators trying to wr

Sign in to comment in this discussion.