Trying to stab Ramsey

edited July 2015 in Game Of Thrones

I find it interesting that this is marked as a significant choice, despite the fact it appears to have no real impact. Has anyone else thought about this? Could it be a sign that Ramsey will have a role to play in Ep6?

Comments

• Ramsey's done for the Season. He said so himself. I find it more interesting that Rodirk tries to draw his arm back to stab instead of simply slashing Ramsay's throat right there.

• Do you think it's sort of a "Save Bowen" kinda choice then, just there for no real reason?

torkahn808 posted: »

Ramsey's done for the Season. He said so himself. I find it more interesting that Rodirk tries to draw his arm back to stab instead of simply slashing Ramsay's throat right there.

• Yep.

ranger563 posted: »

Do you think it's sort of a "Save Bowen" kinda choice then, just there for no real reason?

• Wow such choice... Telltale ....However if Ramsay wasnt cannon,killing him would sound great

torkahn808 posted: »

Ramsey's done for the Season. He said so himself. I find it more interesting that Rodirk tries to draw his arm back to stab instead of simply slashing Ramsay's throat right there.

• Terrible choice. Almost as bad as the "Can I go with you?" option in TWD S2E5. It just felt as if they tried to shove a major choice in there as quickly as possible without really thinking about how absurd it was. We knew Ramsay was a canon character so there's no way he could have died so why the hell would they make that option if not just to spit in our face

• edited July 2015

In my mind I see it as a choice of would Rodrik kill Ramsay if given the chance? A minor detail is it affects how Ramsay sees Rodrik.

If Rodrik tried to stab Ramsay:

"I'm Impressed, lucky for me your a cripple. I may have misjudged you Rodrik, I came here to kill you but now I'm thinking it might be far more entertainig to watch you and Ludd tear each other to pieces"

If Rodrik dropped the knife:

"Your little brother had bigger balls than you, I came here to kill you but now I'm thinking it might be far more entertaining to watch Ludd tear you to pieces"

Very minor changes but their there.

• Maybe it affects how Talia sees Rodrik or something.

• I thought the same when playing the episode

Flog61 posted: »

Maybe it affects how Talia sees Rodrik or something.

• That's what I thought and that's why I did try to stab him even though I knew I couldn't. I wanted Talia to see that Rodrik was at least trying.

Flog61 posted: »

Maybe it affects how Talia sees Rodrik or something.

• I thought it was the silliest choice in Telltale games by far. All the more amazed at the number of people who actually took it. I mean, even if you look past the metagaming perspective that Ramsay is a canon character and can't possibly die by your hand (Rodrik doesn't know that and people who don't watch/read GoT may not know, so it's excusable), it doesn't change the fact that you are there, in the grove, alone, with your sister, and about to stab the son an heir of the Warden of the North while his men surround you. And Rodrik, badass as he is, was in no shape to fight them off. Either way you spin it, should you attack Ramsay and even manage to take him down, there's no way that choice wouldn't end with the extinction of you and your entire family, starting with Rodrik and Talia. If you play a defiant Lord, spit on the Whitehills all you want, but the Boltons are untouchable. Both the player, and the character should know it.

• Dude, if you try to stab him he actually respects you more then if you dont and things work out pretty well for you. I mean it is GOT- you have to take risks.

I thought it was the silliest choice in Telltale games by far. All the more amazed at the number of people who actually took it. I mean, eve

• Exactly because of Ramsay's plot armor and because of how TellTale games work, I found it a fairly easy choice to try to stab him.

1 - I know that he can't die, meaning the actual choice was actually between "showing defiance" and "doing nothing".

2 - If the scene let us kill him, then his men would have killed Rodrik on the spot, leading to a Game Over scene which would rewind the game and make me pick the other option, like the "Attack" option with Ludd in Highpoint.

Therefore, I got to the conclusion that the choice wasn't about stabbing Ramsay, it was about making the people watching the scene (Talia and Ramsay) get a certain impression of your Rodrik.
    It is like staying with Margaery or going with Tyrion on the Royal Wedding. People complained that it changed nothing, Margaery would get mad anyway, but what if the choice was actually between "letting Margaery and Sera know what Tyrion wanted with you" and "making it look like you were sneaking about and being secretive with the guy that was going to be convicted of kingslaying, on the same day the king is assassinated"?

I thought it was the silliest choice in Telltale games by far. All the more amazed at the number of people who actually took it. I mean, eve

• Exactly because of Ramsay's plot armor and because of how TellTale games work, I found it a fairly easy choice to try to stab him.

Or that Telltale tried to exploit it by making stabbing him a main choice

Abeille posted: »

Exactly because of Ramsay's plot armor and because of how TellTale games work, I found it a fairly easy choice to try to stab him. 1 - I

• edited July 2015

I couldn't stand anymore his arrogance and confidence he could get away with anything and everyone had to suck up his shit.

As a reader of the books and watcher of the TV show, I thought it was about time someone in the GOT universe stood up to this total piece of shit right to his fucking face, as hopeless as the attempt was.

I expected a death that would have rewinded the game (non-canon death after a choice would have been a first in a Telltale game, but I was ready for a first) or that he would do something to Talia, but I was delighted that I got away with it after all.

My Rodrik not only still has his balls, but he can live knowing he has the biggest pair in all Westeros.

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator
    edited July 2015

I still think the most ridiculous choice in a Telltale game, by and far, is "Held the baby?" in TWD S2

Out of every possible choice, I cannot think of a single thing that this could even affect in any meaningful way. You could construe a few reasons for why the choice to stab Ramsay is noteworthy (changing how Talia thinks of Rodrik, something like that), but what possible effect does holding a baby have to anyone involved? Does this somehow spell disaster for a character in the next season? Will someone hold deep-seated regrets and feelings of worthlessness because of that time they didn't hold that baby?

• It's for those feels man.

Such decisions are irrelevant but when people realize when stats show up that they did something other players did not, it contributes to makes their experience a little more unique.

Deltino posted: »

I still think the most ridiculous choice in a Telltale game, by and far, is "Held the baby?" in TWD S2 Out of every possible choice, I ca

• edited July 2015

My Rodrik be like:

Alt text

• Yes, but you came to that conclusion from a metagaming perspective. You knew Telltale wouldn't actually allow you to kill Ramsay, because he's a canon character, and that if it DID result in your death, it would most likely be a game over screen, ready to be loaded. However, when viewed from the roleplaying perspective, you have to discard all that away. And as a roleplayer myself, I tried to think how Rodrik would think. And the answer in that case is a definitive "NO." Unless your Rodrik is the kind of Rodrik who would happily go to his grave knowing that his act of defiance got him and his entire family killed, which, I can't stress this enough, is exactly what would happen if you killed the son of the Warden of the North there on the spot. Rodrik may have giant balls, as the other poster below stated, but there's a fine line between reasonable defiance and utterly stupid recklessness- and attempting to stab Ramsay there crosses that line. By a mile.

Exactly because of Ramsay's plot armor and because of how TellTale games work, I found it a fairly easy choice to try to stab him. 1 - I

• Your*

AgentZ46 posted: »

In my mind I see it as a choice of would Rodrik kill Ramsay if given the chance? A minor detail is it affects how Ramsay sees Rodrik. If

• edited July 2015

Yes, but you came to that conclusion from a metagaming perspective. You knew Telltale wouldn't actually allow you to kill Ramsay, because he's a canon character, and that if it DID result in your death, it would most likely be a game over screen, ready to be loaded.

But didn't you say that you were amazed by the number of people that picked that option? You see, that's why I replied to your first post. The player making the decision to stab Ramsay makes a lot of sense because of everything we know about the game and ASOIAF. That's what I was explaining to you: There is a very reasonable reason to take that option, which means it is not really THAT surprising that people took it. It is the same reason why some people lied to Tyrion, for knowing what is going to happen to him later on (therefore knowing it is not really worth it to try to have him to like you).

I understand, you are a roleplayer, but that isn't everybody's case. I do roleplay on games that give me more freedom, so I understand wanting to pick the choices that your character would pick. That doesn't mean someone else's choice is "silly" because they are playing with all the information they have (and not only the information the character have) in mind.

Yes, but you came to that conclusion from a metagaming perspective. You knew Telltale wouldn't actually allow you to kill Ramsay, because he

• Yes, but in the scenario mentioned above, Rodrik actually manages to kill Ramsay...and then what? It really makes no sense for Rodrik to do anything but drop the knife if we take his POV for a sec and forget that we as the players know Ramsay is canon and therefore will not die here.

Rodrik is a fool to do this, it's a immensly stupid thing to do even if you know Ramsay cannot die, which Rodrik doesn't. If he kills him, he and Talia will be slaughtered right there and then along with the rest of Ironrath. Or even worse, only taken prisoner and then flayed by Roose Bolton. Either way you doom your House.

On the other hand, Ramsay is a known psychopath. So there really was no way to tell what he'd do if Rodrik tries to kill him and fails. He simply can't be judged, and what led to him patting your head could have led to him ripping it off.

So if you kill him, you're doomed. If you fail to kill him, you're very likely doomed aswell, if Ramsay doesn't have a good day or decides the plot is more important.

From a character POV, even considering to stab him would be madness.

Dude, if you try to stab him he actually respects you more then if you dont and things work out pretty well for you. I mean it is GOT- you have to take risks.

• Huehuehue. Wouldn't it be pretty fucked up if somehow the choice to stab Ramsay determines how the game ends?

Try to stab him = Forrester victory over the Whitehills

Drop the knife = Whitehill victory

• Exactly my point, glad someone sees it.

Yes, but in the scenario mentioned above, Rodrik actually manages to kill Ramsay...and then what? It really makes no sense for Rodrik to do

• I wouldn't mind that :D

Huehuehue. Wouldn't it be pretty fucked up if somehow the choice to stab Ramsay determines how the game ends? Try to stab him = Forrester victory over the Whitehills Drop the knife = Whitehill victory

• Hm. Fair enough. Not everyone plays the game as I do, I suppose. But yeah, my point is, from the character's point of view, the choice to attempt to stab Ramsay is all kinds of stupid. Then I guess my surprised state from seeing people actually pick the option should be transcribed to being surprised how many people choose to metagame their decisions, as opposed to trying to put themselves in the character's shoes. As a dedicated roleplayer, this just doesn't sit right with me. But I understand that not everyone is like me in that regard.

Yes, but you came to that conclusion from a metagaming perspective. You knew Telltale wouldn't actually allow you to kill Ramsay, because he

• When that scene came I just straight up said ''no Ramsay, I am not going to further indulge your invincible plot armor'' - seriously, this choice was one the biggest flaws in Episode 5, hardly meaningful at all.

• I tried killing him because the dudes a cunt

• That'd be a big twist. Say you are about to kill Ludd as Gared/Rodrik/Asher/Mira and then Ramsay shows up and kills whoever is there.

And if you tried to stab him, he'd give you a highfive.

Huehuehue. Wouldn't it be pretty fucked up if somehow the choice to stab Ramsay determines how the game ends? Try to stab him = Forrester victory over the Whitehills Drop the knife = Whitehill victory

• I thought rodrik could die without it being game over?

• edited December 2015

Not before the choice in the end of Episode 5.

Axxpebble posted: »

I thought rodrik could die without it being game over?

• That choice was completely pointless. What was it suppoused to do? Show how badass Ramsay is?

• I did not watch the show, but I looked for details about this franchinse, I looked for which character in the game also appears in the show.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.