Which Have You Played?

I'm sure not everyone here's been around with Monkey Island since the Amiga days, so I'm wondering: which Monkey Island games have you played?

Personally, I've only played 3. I own four (I picked up 3, 4 and Grim Fandango at once), but I've never played it because of a few reviews that said there were too many in-jokes, so I was hoping to find copies of 1 and 2 that I never did! Well I suppose, in a few months, I'll be able to get 1, at least, but I really don't have an excuse any more. What about you?

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Unfortunately, I've never played any of them, so I'm a newbie. Please don't make fun of me for that :)
  • edited June 2009
    All of them sadly. Escape from monkey island was a painful experience indeed.

I played monkey island back when there was text for inventory items instead of pictures. *feels old*
  • edited June 2009
    All four, though I never finished Escape. Ye gods I hate the controls on that game... shame.

Of course, I've reinstalled it today on the back of the news... I will see it through before ToMI Episode 1 gets released.
  • edited June 2009
    All of them, and I loved every single one of them. Still my favourite franchise to this day.
  • edited June 2009
    All of them, and I loved every single one of them. Still my favourite franchise to this day.

You loved escape from monkey island? The story was okay(ish), but it took a decent control system from Grim Fandango, and managed to totally frell it up.
  • SkySky
    edited June 2009
    Played all of them but out of order (strangly enough, my old computer would play part 3 but was incompatable with 1 or 2) still one of my all time favorites ever created of all time and space and in my DNA and seeing how far I can take this and... well that is as far as I can go. Did I say I practiclly memorized all of the quips for the whole insult paragdim (in english only, Australian was too hard)
  • edited June 2009
    You loved escape from monkey island? The story was okay(ish), but it took a decent control system from Grim Fandango, and managed to totally frell it up.

He's entitled to his own opinion, you know. Not everybody has to have a negative opinion of MI4.
  • edited June 2009
    He's entitled to his own opinion, you know. Not everybody has to have a negative opinion of MI4.

Wow really? Where exactly did I badmouth his opinion, or say that it wasn't valid? I was simply going into the reasons *I* didn't like it. Sorry, I didn't know only specific people were entitled to their opinion. ¬.¬
  • edited June 2009
    Wow really? Where exactly did I badmouth his opinion, or say that it wasn't valid? I was simply going into the reasons *I* didn't like it. Sorry, I didn't know only specific people were entitled to their opinion. ¬.¬

Well nowhere, except when you were shocked that someone could actually love MI4.

Maybe I misinterpreted the meaning behind your post. If that is the case, I apologize. :(
  • edited June 2009
    Well nowhere, except when you were shocked that someone could actually love MI4.

Maybe I misinterpreted the meaning behind your post. If that is the case, I apologize. :(

Eh, no big deal. We're all grog-swilling pirates, and all. ^^
  • edited June 2009
    Played all of them, though was introduced tyo the series with CoMI, then went back to complete the rest.
    Escape may have had terrible controlls, but it was a brilliant game nonetheless, I love how there are jokes running through the whole series; makes it a complete gem.
  • edited June 2009
    BlackMageJ wrote: »
    All four, though I never finished Escape. Ye gods I hate the controls on that game... shame.

Of course, I've reinstalled it today on the back of the news... I will see it through before ToMI Episode 1 gets released.

Actually most people just like in Grim Fandango made the mistake to play the game with the keyboard /mouse, that did not work out in both games. I personally played monkey 4 with a dual analog gamepad and it worked out bearable, the game itself was so so, i stopped playing it after running into the 5th or so insult duel, they overdid some things.
    It did not really feel as good as the first two parts, the same goes for the third part which was ok by itself but not really as good as part 1 and 2!
  • edited June 2009
    I have TWO copies of Escape from Monkey Island, the PC version and the PS2 version...
  • edited June 2009
    All of them. I have yet to complete 3 (though I've seen the ending) and have yet to get beyond the first areas of 4. But I started from MI1 and played them chronologically. The good old days. I still have the 16-colour EGA disk version with the part in the woods where you could look at one of the stumps and it teases you by telling you there's a whole sequence of underground catacombs and to enter you need to insert disks 134, 734, and 312.
  • edited June 2009
    Eh, no big deal. We're all grog-swilling pirates, and all. ^^
    I'M NOT!

I'm just a cocktail-guzzling fraudster... :p
  • IcyIcy
    edited June 2009
    Was it in MI3 or MI4 that you could actually look back into the woods? Haven't played the series for years now, but will get my brother to check the attick at home and mail it to me. Think I should be able to play through MI1 in my sleep.
  • edited June 2009
    Icy wrote: »
    Was it in MI3 or MI4 that you could actually look back into the woods? Haven't played the series for years now, but will get my brother to check the attick at home and mail it to me. Think I should be able to play through MI1 in my sleep.

Twas MI3 when you were in the Goodsoups crypt; aaah Blood Island...
  • edited June 2009
    Oh, the fond memories... And thinking we'll be there again, in just a month or so...
  • edited June 2009
    Never Mind.
  • edited June 2009

If you're thinking what I think you're thinking, you're thinking 3!
  • edited June 2009

That was in CMI:
    http://www.scummbar.com/imageviewer/imageviewer.php?useimage=/games/trivia/full/3/8.gif

Also:
    http://www.scummbar.com/imageviewer/imageviewer.php?useimage=/games/trivia/full/3/11.gif
  • edited June 2009
    Ah! Nice! Awesome way to throw a nice nod to an older joke :).
  • edited June 2009
    I personally loved all 4, My favourite was Curse of Monkey Island. The game was long enough and monkey island enough for any man, or maid. I cant believe Telltale is so awesome.
  • edited June 2009
    I've played the first 3 (but it's been a while) but never got very far in MI4 due to the control system which was so different to previous LucasArts games. Same goes for Grim Fandango. I've heard it's a great game, but I couldn't get the hang of the controls, plus it crashed on Windows XP and I hadn't saved the game for a while.... sigh.

(Running these games under Win98 on VMWare doesn't work as VMWare doesn't support DirectX 3D. The first three Monkey Island Games work great though!)
  • edited June 2009
    I've played them all, starting with the first one. I fell in love with the entire thing about five seconds after walking into the SCUMM Bar for the first time. LeChuck's Revenge is by far my favorite. As far as MI4, the only bit I truly hated was the Monkey Kombat nonsense. 4 definitely had some great moments, but using the Grim Engine on a game that had three previous 2D point-and-click chapters was a really, really poor choice.
  • edited June 2009
    Played and completed all four of them...

MK4 was painful because, although I cannnot hate it, its MK after all...., there was some things awfully wrong about it....

For me MK is mostly about the fluff and the dialogs. As long as Dave and Ron give me some funny lines for this new MK I'll be happy as hell. No need to push it.
  • edited June 2009
    All four of them (along with the rest of Lucasarts' adventures).

First one I played was the 16 color version of The Secret of Monkey Island, with the text inventory and the stump joke.
  • edited June 2009
    I've played all 4 several times over each. And I have a very controversial preference, it would seem. MI2 was my least favourite, with MI3 and MI4 tied for first (I really liked MI4s control scheme). But regardless, all of them probably double digit playthroughs.
  • edited June 2009
    wasn't there an april fools joke where the voice actor for guybrush recorded a fake MI5 blooper track? "The Return of Largo LeGrande" I wonder if Largo's gonna be in the Real MI5.
  • edited June 2009
    I've played through all of them a few times, and I own the "big box" editions of 1 & 2. :D
    I'm so glad that Telltale is doing the next in the series. My favorite game company + my favorite franchise = epic win!
  • edited June 2009
    I've only played cmi and emi. Loved both, but loved emi a bit more, because it was longer.
  • edited June 2009
    I've played all of them! woohoo a new MI game!
  • edited June 2009
    Played them all.

Many times over for the first 2. A few times for the 3rd, and never finished the 4th. The horrid controls killed it for me.
  • edited June 2009
    Bagge wrote: »

Thanks for the links. I love those two parts in CMI. I got all excited when I found them the first time I played.

And yes, I have played all four titles. I played the SMI when it had text for inventory, instead of the pictures (still my favorite version). I think I was 5 years old at the time. And then I played LeChuck's Revenge right afterwards. I loved them so much I would replay them every year and try to forget the puzzles. Then I played CMI and EMI when they were released. CMI was great, but as many others feel as well, EMI took some real Guybrush loyalty for me to play and try and enjoy.

Since then, I have replayed SMI and CMI the most, and LeChuck's Revenge every so often. I love how I can get through SMI within a few hours now. And it took me months the first time.
  • edited June 2009
    I had the CD-ROM version of The Secret Of Monkey Island, which was basically the VGA graphics verison of the game with CD audio.

I enjoyed LeChuck's Revenge more than SoMI. It's still may favorite adventure game ever.

And I played The Curse of Monkey Island about three years ago through ScummVM. I didn't like the plot, but Murray was awesome.

I've never played Escape.
  • edited June 2009
    I've played all of the games and I enjoyed each of them with the exception of EMI.

My favourite game in the series is Monkey Island 2, followed by the original Monkey Island and, last but still fantastic, CMI. For me, with EMI something was lost - the "magic" (I don't mean this literally, of course - I mean the feeling of being immersed in a magical, voodoo-infested caribbean fantasy) and the warmth of the previous three games.

EMI felt soulless. This was, I think, due to the combination of thematic inconsistencies with the previous games, an imbalance between modern/pop-culture references and the setting (yes, all of the MI games have featured a similar mix. but with EMI, the balance was skewed too far towards modernity/pop-culture, or perhaps I should say that they were not integrated quite as well into the "historical" setting as they were in previous games) and the bland, joyless background art.

Everything was simply too clean, clinical, and cynical; nothing felt "warm" or organic; there was no sense of age or weight to the environments. In contrast, when I first played CMI it felt like I had "returned home" to the world established in the first two games.

But enough of the negativity! Tales of Monkey Island looks great. Going on the trailer, the game "feels" like a much improved EMI. I've pre-ordered the series and I'm eager to return to the caribbean to get involved in more crazy voodoo shenanigans. July can't come soon enough!
  • edited June 2009
    Played all four (yes, first two on Amiga 500), but never finished Monkey Island 4 due to annoying controls and, as LukeSW points out, lack of Monkey Island 'feeling'.
  • edited June 2009
    I got started with Curse, and loved every moment of it. I've played all of them, but, like most people, I didn't really like Escape. I didn't mind the controls, it's just that the game lost all of the monkey island feeling and it looked absolutely hideous, especially when compared to the beautiful graphics in Curse.
  • edited June 2009
    I started out with the CD version of SoMI™ (with the enhanced verb bar) in approximately 1993 or 1994. The next game I played was EFMI™ the year it came out, then CMI™ the next year when I found it at Walmart, and finally LCR™ when in about 2005 or so my parents finally purchased the MI Madness CD for me. :D So a bit out of order sure, but I loved all the games.

For those who have played, there's a rather obvious and blatantly ignored plothole between LCR™ and CMI™, but for years I've actually been developing a fan-story which ties them together quite nicely using only the mechanics introduced within the games. I might have to dust that thing off and get to cracking at it again. :)
  • edited June 2009
    I would love to find out the aftermath that Ron Gilbert had originally thought up for it. Just for curiousity's sake, I would love to know how he had intended to explain/solve that ending.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.