Q&A With the Team

Comments

• edited June 2009
    I can't believe you kept quiet on this... the 5th game of a franchise long thought dead
  • edited June 2009
    will Stan, Murray and Herman return?
  • edited June 2009
    Im an atheist, but this announcement makes me wonder wether i'm really dead and in heaven.

a question: Do you consider the two previous Monkey Island games canon?
    antoher one: If you should compare the atmosphere of the game to the previous four, which game is more similar?
  • edited June 2009
    I've just pre-bought them and that is all you need to know. Well, except I too hope you don't screw it up. And thank you, assuming you don't, for doing this.
  • edited June 2009
    adg1034 wrote: »
    And Guybrush with a beard? Really?.

Hey, Guybrush has a beard in MI2, he even referenced it in 3 saying he "lost" it somewhere.
  • edited June 2009
    Is this being designed as one last final Monkey Island game, or are you hoping to possible have future "seasons" after this.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm so excited! Yay! Here are my questions:

1) What's up with the no support for Vista 64? Just curious. Is 64-bit XP supported?

2) Any chance we'll be able to play in full, glorious 1080p?

:D
  • edited June 2009
    I've never been so excited to hand over $35 of my hard-earned dollars. Thank you, Telltale.
  • edited June 2009
    Hooray! Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou
  • edited June 2009
    Fingers crossed this will be as epic as the old MI games!
  • edited June 2009
    My question is, why did it take so long for the e-mail announcement to get to my inbox? I could have pre-ordered hours ago. In 27 years of gaming, this is the first time I've ever pre-ordered something. I'm a wait and see kind of guy, always looking out for a good deal. But screw my frugality when it comes to MI. Less than 24 hours ago I posted a comment on another forum stating that LucasArts should give the rights to Monkey Island to Telltale so they could bring it to a younger generation. I really need to start posting things like that more often because apparently I'm magic.

LucasArts should give Telltale the rights to Maniac Mansion...*looks around, fingers crossed*

Is this going to be set far after the original games, parallel to them, in between them, etc.?

Why will no one answer the question about the interface? That seems like a pretty critical part of the game. Did you decide not to go mouse-only and you're concerned we're all going to lash out? Probably wise of you not to mention it if that's the case.

Will there be combinable inventory?

What of Gary Coleman?
  • ShauntronShauntron Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Erwin wrote: »
    The only thing I'm wondering at the moment is how on earth you managed to keep this quiet for so long.

We had to learn free-running to transport sensitive data away from prying eyes... I am EXHAUSTED at the end of the day.

But seriously, it's easier for smaller companies to keep secrets, and we only had to keep it for a little over half a year. We also had plenty of other projects to talk about in the meantime. If a sole secret company project has been in development for 3 years, your friends and family start to wonder what exactly it is you do, and that's when people let things slip.
  • edited June 2009
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Uh, ?. That's a question. Totally.
  • edited June 2009
    One week ago, I was thinking about that. "It would be so great to have new Guybrush's adventures created by Telltale games. They did 2 (3 soon) Sam and Max season, they're great and successful, so They HAVE to do Monkey Island return!"

And you did. Telltale games, I love you.

I've got some questions:

1-How much episodes are done for now? Is everything near complete and you just have to fix little issues, or for instance, the 5th episode is not finished at all?

2- Do you think you're going to go on with Monkey Island, like you did with Sam and Max?

3- How much Ron Gilbert helped you on this project?

Thanks again Telltale and I've a idea for your next project: Night of the tentacle :)
  • edited June 2009
    LucasArts should give Telltale the rights to Maniac Mansion...*looks around, fingers crossed*

OMG... I think if they made an episodic Day of the Tentacle followup, I'd ... hmm, I don't know what I'd do exactly.
  • edited June 2009
    My only question:

Why is it that Telltale's website and e-mail communiques are overflowing with personality and humor when every other game company and online merchant thinks they have to be completely businesslike?

Seriously, I crack up every time I get the order confirmation e-mail: "We love you. Why? You bought some stuff!"
  • edited June 2009
    Telltale is the one company in the world I would trust to do this right. Thanks for bein' you.
  • edited June 2009
    Since its been confirmed that this series will be more serialized compared to Sam and Max and Strong Bad, will we be seeing more unique locations in each episode rather than having the same places to explore with only a few new locations added.
  • edited June 2009
    Whoo! Can't wait. I thought something was up when I saw tweets saying some of you guys had to come if over the weekend to work on and unannounced project, Now I know! WHOO!

How did you guys convince them to let you do it?
  • edited June 2009
    Cool, a private forum

Well first of all, thank you, thank you, thank you, will you marry me? and thank you!

Anyway, I found it funny that the look of Guybrush looks like his MI2 outfit. Over the years, most of the Monkey Island 5 fanart and fanfic featured a MI2-looking Guybrush, even including the beard. Paco Vink even did the april fools fake MI5 cover like that.

I bet this is not a coincidence is it? :)
  • edited June 2009
    I have one question in particular. Not to get ahead of myself... but does this new licensing partnership pave the way for (dare I say), the rebirth of the Full Throttle sequel?? I'm also thinking another Maniac Mansion sequel.

Not that I'm at all unsatisfied with whatever god-like power has brought us a new Monkey Island game. It's easily my favorite LucasArts franchise and I can't think of any other developer I'd trust to make it.

I don't even trust LucasArts to do it. So keep them at bay guys!
  • edited June 2009
    Questions...hmm...

Really, all I have is, "How can I convince you to go for Grim Fandango: The Series?" which I realize has very little to do with MI. But I'm basically content the game's coming at all.

So now, of course, I want you to make more! More licenses grabbed by TellTale, says I!

...And, for an actual on-topic question, I ask if Elaine's going to have an American or English accent in this game? (Oh, come on, it's got to be one of those details that just grates on SOMEONE else's nerves as well, right?)
  • edited June 2009
    First off, I love you all so much, in a totally platonic, respectful, not-a-stalker kind of way. Second of all, can I sign up for playtests, please? I'll bring hard tack, and I promise not to squeal. That much. And finally, Guybrush is starting to act more like Gally than Freddie. Threepwoods for ever!
  • edited June 2009
    I preordered this almost as soon as I opened the announcement email. Thankyou Lord Gods of Amazing Surprises.

That being said, please don't pull a George Lucas on us with this stuff. This must be your best title to date. No pressure or anything!

So can we expect to see all the old characters back?
  • edited June 2009
    It was like divine will guided my hand to my credit card when the announcement hit my inbox. Anyway, I'll join in on the chorus wondering whether the guy playing LeChuck will be back for the sequel and the remake.
  • edited June 2009
    Hi, guys!
    What about language support?
    I hope you will follow the same W&G route (german-spanish-french-italian subtitles available at launch). :o
  • edited June 2009
    Sorry if this has been asked already but I was wondering if you kind people could tell me if Tim Schafer has had any input in the new game?

Thank you :)
  • HoboStewHoboStew Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Junaid wrote: »
    Cool, a private forum

Well first of all, thank you, thank you, thank you, will you marry me? and thank you!
    You don't know HOW long I've been waiting for a stranger on the internet to ask. Of course I will!
  • edited June 2009
    I've had mixed feelings about the idea of a new Monkey Island game ever since I was severely disappointed by Escape from Monkey Island, but if anybody can do this right, I figure Telltale Games can.

I don't know whether you can share this information, but if you can, how did Lucasarts decide to let you make a Monkey Island game? Did you begin talking to them about it, or did they contact you?
  • edited June 2009
    Yes, yes, yes.

Mmm, to leave a question, is there any chance we may see Largo LaGrande? And the Men of Low Moral Fiber?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Eduardo wrote: »
    Mmm, to leave a question, is there any chance we may see Largo LaGrande? And the Men of Low Moral Fiber?

We would be crazy to reveal which characters are returning! Don't you want to be surprised? :)
  • edited June 2009
    Erwin wrote: »
    The only thing I'm wondering at the moment is how on earth you managed to keep this quiet for so long.

I concur! Especially an announcement so explosive...I mean Monkey Island's cult following is pretty intense. A high school once even did a full one hour stage version of the game and yet you managed to totally catch us off guard.

Unrelated, to start the rumour train...

<COUGH>

GRIM FANDANGO...next?
  • edited June 2009
    Is it July yet???? This is going to be a long 36 days.....
  • edited June 2009
    hmm how will the locations be handled? like a different island per episode or each episode starting in same location then branching off like samnmax? or a bit of both?
  • edited June 2009
    Jake wrote: »
    We would be crazy to reveal which characters are returning! Don't you want to be surprised? :)

This was the biggest surprise already!

I am in some kind of MI induced euphoria, so I can't think rationally! :)
  • edited June 2009
    I just watched the trailer, and oddly the main thing I came away from it wondering was...is Elaine tied up in the "rope bag" from Sam & Max?
  • JonJon Former Telltale Staff
    edited June 2009
    The technical term is a 'rope sack', and it goes back further than s&m.
  • edited June 2009
    Having more Monkey Island Games made in the spirit of adventure games of old times, and not just having a monkey island FPS with guybrush shooting at everything that moves, is quite awesome, so i thank you guys, all of you who are involved in the project for making it happen...
    i have one question , i have always wanted some monkey island action figures, any chance it might happen ?

thanks again.
  • dancondancon Former Telltale Staff
    edited June 2009
    Wow there are a lot of questions here..Before I answer anything, I just want to say Thank You for pre ordering Tales of Monkey Island, and for all of the support.

As far as how we kept it quiet, I think part of it was the rumor had gone on for so long that nobody believed anything they heard, until it was official.

Its a great day for Telltale and we are happy to finally be able to announce this.
  • edited June 2009
    salmonmack wrote: »
    Unrelated, to start the rumour train...

<COUGH>

GRIM FANDANGO...next?

THIS! 100x THIS!
This discussion has been closed.