Q&A With the Team

Comments

• edited June 2009
    This is like a dream come true! More Monkey Island!
    On to the questions though:
    -Will you be allowed use the original Theme or a variation of it? It's really iconic in my eyes and I would miss it a lot....

-How much of the in jokes will I miss out on, having never played "escape from monkey island"?

-Will the score be released on cd like it did with Sam&Max?

-Will we be able to combine items in the inventory again, to satisfy our need for more challenging puzzles?

-When will we get to see a Trailer? I need more input on this soon *drools* ... sorry!

Ok thats it for now!
  • edited June 2009
    This is a question everybody is asking; is Earl Boen reprising LeChuck? It doesn't sound like him but in the gamespot interview with the guys from the SMI:Special Edition, they confirm he's in their game doing the voice
  • DanHDanH Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    dancon wrote: »
    Wow there are a lot of questions here..Before I answer anything, I just want to say Thank You for pre ordering Tales of Monkey Island, and for all of the support.

As far as how we kept it quiet, I think part of it was the rumor had gone on for so long that nobody believed anything they heard, until it was official.

Its a great day for Telltale and we are happy to finally be able to announce this.

Looks like Dan forgot to mention how we all got tracking chips that would shock us every time we said the words "Guybrush", "Threepwood" or "Le Chuck". The chip would often misfire with the last one, so Chuck Jordan got the silent treatment from the Monkey team until we had all been properly trained. We also avoided French restaurants.
  • edited June 2009
    Also, this probably isn't something you'd share with the preordering public, but personally, I'd be incredibly interested in finding out just how many preorders you guys get for this in the next week. After all, this is the adventure game series, the one which us fans have been asking for someone to resurrect for ages, so by all rights, we should be all over this like leather on a jacket. Here's hoping the numbers are good enough that Lucasarts hands you guys a whole boatful of cash to give the next season a more 2D- Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!
  • edited June 2009
    Jon wrote: »
    The technical term is a 'rope sack', and it goes back further than s&m.

Rope sack and S & M...... Avoiding the jokes that come to mind.
  • edited June 2009

Yes, but you have to admit, it's s&m that really popularized that usage of rope.

Wait, are we talking about the same thing?
  • edited June 2009
    I remember reading a long time ago, that Ron Gilbert had originally planned Monkey Island to be a trilogy, but that his story for #3 wasn't the one used in the actual game.

Is this true, and if it is, where does the story in this one pick up?

Is it a continuation of Gilberts story from the bizarre ending to #2, or is it just a game set in the world of monkey island?

I'm dying to know! I'm so excited that I just can't hide it!
  • edited June 2009

Also, I'm pretty certain Guybrush punches Leonard Steakcharmer in the trailer, or perhaps one of his ancestors.
  • edited June 2009
    eskimo wrote: »
    where does the story in this one pick up?

Is it a continuation of Gilberts story from the bizarre ending to #2, or is it just a game set in the world of monkey island?

I assume that it takes place at the earliest after the end of CoMI, seeing as how Guybrush refers to Elaine as his WIFE.
  • edited June 2009
    Paine wrote: »
    I assume that it takes place at the earliest after the end of CoMI, seeing as how Guybrush refers to Elaine as his WIFE.

I guess so, I hadn't seen the trailer yet. Got so excited I completely skipped it and went straight into the "doing panicky things in an attempt to get my jaw back off the floor" mode.
  • edited June 2009
    Quick question; Will I be able to play all the episodes with just my Mouse? (As in; no requirement for a Keyboard, unless I choose to)
  • edited June 2009
    Now that you guys are on speaking terms with LucasArts, is there any more chance of Hit the Road continuity in future Sam & Max episodes? I'm not a big fan of rehashing old plot points, but to give an example I've used before: when Sam and Max visit Hell and see that previous villains are all employed there, that would have be a cute place for a cameo from HtR's villains. In case there's ever a situation like that again. Or a Snuckey's.
  • NickTTGNickTTG Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    rdhiggins wrote: »
    Is it July yet????

I believe I can answer this one.

No.
  • edited June 2009
    All I can say is a heart-felt "thank you".
  • NickTTGNickTTG Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    S3BR4 wrote: »
    This is like a dream come true! More Monkey Island!
    On to the questions though:
    -How much of the in jokes will I miss out on, having never played "escape from monkey island"?

-Will we be able to combine items in the inventory again, to satisfy our need for more challenging puzzles?

There are some "in" jokes, but chances are they're just sail over virgin monkey islander's heads. thats right... i said it. and as the series goes on, you'll start to be part of the in crowd. soon, you'll be referencing that moment when guybrush is on the beach in episode 3 and he's all "HEY ELAI..." err... shhhh

And YES! There will be inventory combination! WOO!
  • edited June 2009
    I must also ask if Murray will appear in the game. I was sort of a late comer to the MI series because I saw a friend play CMI, seeing Murray I ran instantly to buy CMI, bckplayed 1 and 2, and got EMI when it hit and (obviously) pre ordered this one the second I saw it! Please tell me Murray's going to continue to annoy (but otherwise be no issue) Guybrush. Those two together are awesome.
  • edited June 2009
    I satrted playing MI on my Amiga 500 and MI was the game that leaded me to buy a memory extention at that time. MI tune is my ringtone since about '99 so yes when I saw the news this morning , I thought it's the best day of my life (just after my wedding of course). Can't wait to get my hands on the first episode.

Hope you'll make another seasons then.

By the way,

1- Will you release the game with French subtitles (I want to keep Dominic's voice as he's Guylbruch after all)?

2- Will you keep the old good sword fight game or have you foresseen another concept?

3- I know it has been asked already but I didn't found the answear: Will Stan and Murray be back? Or generally, Which good old friends will we met?

Thanks,
    Stan :)
  • edited June 2009
    How come Chuck Jordan isn't working on the Monkey Island series?
  • edited June 2009
    To the team:
    When did work on Tales of Monkey Island first start?
  • edited June 2009
    I also preordered before finishing to read the announcement... I'm SO excited!!!!

And apart from like a thousand questions that will come to mind when I finish realising how GREAT this is... I have an easy one: will there be other languages included? I guess the voices will be English only, but is it going to have Spanish subtitles?

If you need someone for the Spanish translations, I would be more than willing to help... in fact, I would LOVE to help... really... please let me help!!! :)

A big thank you for resurrecting the best game ever!
  • edited June 2009
    This is great news. Back when I played Sam & Max Season One, I kept thinking how amazing it would be if Telltale got the license for a Monkey Island game. Every time they hinted at the upcoming announcement of a new IP, I got hopeful, and was then let down somewhat when it wasn't Monkey Island. Finally, you guys got around to reading my mind. Telltale is the only company I would trust to do this, and getting all the major people who worked on the original series to do this one is just perfect.

Will this game and its story have anything to do with the original "Monkey Island 3" that Ron Gilbert had in mind? I think everyone would love to see those ideas emerge in some form one day.

I know LucasArts are handling the remake of SMI, but how good do the chances seem for MI2 to follow right now? That game would, er, really benefit from a hint system.
  • edited June 2009
    Will the OS X download of the first episode be made availible at the same time as the Windows download?

Also, there is a huge thread about the control method for the game in the main forums. So my question is, will I like the controls of the game, and if not, can I change it? :)
  • edited June 2009
    Hero1 wrote: »
    How come Chuck Jordan isn't working on the Monkey Island series?
    He's lazy.

And working on something else. (I have sat in on some of the design meetings, though, trying hard to mess everything up. But Dave & Mike & Mark are just too competent to let that happen).
  • edited June 2009
    You guys' continued silence on the controls and the fact that you're making TMI for the 360 as well have me scared that this will have a WASD control scheme which I think is a mistake.

Of course I could be worried over nothing. I wouldn't mind being wrong in this case.

Still super excited about this regardless, hence the pre-ordering and the posting on the super secret awesome cool fun time section of the board and what not. Can't wait for July 7th!
  • edited June 2009
    I'd like to echo concerns over the control method voiced here and over in the general forum. I'm happy to hear you're bringing back the ability to combine inventory items in MI, and can only hope that you also bring back full mouse control too.

The keyboard destroyed MI4 for me and many others - forcing players to use the keyboard for movement will put a lot of people off the game, so will you be implementing the classic and much loved "click to move" method in ToMI? You could even make it a game option for PC users so we can choose. I just want you to get the game as perfect as possible before it's released :)

P.S. double clicking to "run" rather than walk is also a great feature on some adventure games that help with those moments when maybe you're stuck and have visited the same locations 100s of times ;).
  • edited June 2009
    Hey guys

I'm more than a little excited about you bringing back MI.

Apart from story, dialog and art-style (CMI had the best, in my opinion), my other main concern is the interface. The best interface for any adventure game (hands down in my opinion), is the "verb coin" style used in Curse of Monkey Island (and Full Throttle, and more recently, A Vampyre Story).

Taking point-and-click too literally doesn't work, in my opinion.

What sort of interface did you guys have in mind? Will we be able to select what we want to do with an item (use hand/mouth/eyes etc.), or are we going for the literal point and click style?

Really looking forward to this, and I'm really glad the team appears to be full of some real ex-lucasarts rockstars who worked on the originals!
  • edited June 2009
    Agree with wiplash, the coin interface in MI3 was adventuregame perfection imo. I really hope you guys have gone with this rather than the dumbed-down "one click fits all" option :)
  • edited June 2009
    He's a really iconic character in gaming and I'm really interested in how you went about redefining the look of Guybrush Threepwood (and other characters) for this series. What elements from the previous games did you look at and absorb into your take on the character designs and how did you reach the final decision?
  • edited June 2009
    I wanted to be part of this (secret forum)! :)
    I'm asking again as Diduz (also from Italy as I am, and also from Bari, as I am) did it, the game will be issued with european languages subtitles?
    Thank you! Thank you Again!
    I think I thanked you.
    I did it?
    Well, again Thank you.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm back, and this time yo'll cant hide behin the bucket of rom.

El Pollo Diablo :eek:
  • edited June 2009
    Complaining about the input for an adventure game is like whining that your candy bar wrapper tastes like plastic.
  • edited June 2009
    Just one question:

NAH ITS NOT A QUESTION

I LOVE YOU GUYS SO SO MUCH

I was talking to my friend about the special edition on 360 today and i went 'you reckon this will lead to MI 5 coming out quickly'
    then i googled MI5 like i do every 2 months

and there it was :D
  • edited June 2009
    galdab wrote: »
    Complaining about the input for an adventure game is like whining that your candy bar wrapper tastes like plastic.

Really bad analogy. The interface to a computer game is extremely important and can drastically change your enjoyment of it. It's like going for a drive in a Ferrari that has aweful steering - the car can be as powerful and pretty as you like, but if your 'interface' to it is bad, then your enjoyment of it will also be bad.
  • edited June 2009
    First of all, let me join the hordes by saying how excited I am about this announcement! The Monkey Island series defined gaming for me in the early 90's and I can't think of any project I've rather have Telltale doing in the near future.

Were it any other company than Telltale (and possibly Ron Gilbert's company), I would feel pretty frightened about the possibility of a new sequel, given how the last part turned out. But since there is justice in the world, and the project is in the capable hands of Telltale, the company that pretty much single-handedly revived the adventure genre, I'm confident that the new sequel will be awesome, just like the other Telltale games.

So, let's see, questions, questions. I can only think of one, about the character of Guybrush Threepwood. Which kind of Guybrush character are you going for in the next installment: the juvenile but adorable Guybrush from parts 1 and 3, the surly, seen-the-world adventurer in part 2 or the juvenile, obnoxious Guybrush from part 4, or perhaps something completely different?

Characterization is among the things that bothered me in part 4 (I felt that Guybrush was somehow out of character in part 4, he appeared much more like a retarded teenager than in any of the previous titles), so I would definitely like to see Telltale not following the path laid out in part 4.
  • edited June 2009
    Eiden wrote: »
    Really bad analogy. The interface to a computer game is extremely important and can drastically change your enjoyment of it. It's like going for a drive in a Ferrari that has aweful steering - the car can be as powerful and pretty as you like, but if your 'interface' to it is bad, then your enjoyment of it will also be bad.

Yours is the bad analogy. I can play an adventure game without touching a single input device and get the exact same level of enjoyment from it as I would otherwise. It's about story and puzzles. If I'm not willing or smart enough to adapt to a control scheme, the point of the game has been defeated.

Don't get me wrong, if you stuff up FPS controls like your Ferrari analogy, the experience would be horrible. Take COD 4 and Bioshock as examples on the 360. One has awesome controls, one stinks (sorry boys but it is true).

I can get my 6 year old daughter or my 4 year old son to operate the controls on an adventure game for me while I tell them what to do. That to me indicates that the controls are of no significance unless they fail completely to act in a way that a human being of reasonably competent computer skills could operate.

If you want to cry about controls that are fully functional but something you are not used to, is gaming really your strong point?
  • edited June 2009
    galdab: I disagree. The interface is more than the packaging of the game, you need to use it all the time (No, you can't play an adventure game without touching a single input device. Somebody needs to touch one for the game to advance anywhere. The fact that you're relaying this task to your 4 year old does not change that.) and as such, it is part of the core gameplay. If the interface gets in the way, it can severely degrade gameplay or at least cause frustration. For example: I cannot tell you how often I tried to exit the elevator at the bottom of Rubacava while holding SHIFT to run, only to have Many run out, do a 180 on the guardrail and run right into it again, triggering the 'elevator goes up' cutscene and forcing me to go down again. A similar issue existed in EMI (on Monkey Island itself) but I cannot recall it as clearly (I think there was a bridge and the character would again do a 180 when trying to run over it. At least there was no cutscene but it was still a nuisance trying to 'nudge' Guybrush past that part.). Of course you could say 'don't hold SHIFT', but then it takes ages to get from one end of the screen to the other. (I'm also an advocate of the 'double-click to teleport' feature in point & click games, simply because after seeing a screen/room for the 10th time, one does not wait for the character to wander through its entirety....)

So yeah, once you have your candy out of the wrapper, you don't need the latter any more and it can be discarded. This isn't true with the UI of a game which you, or your 4 year old, will be using until the game is finished. Your analogy is flawed.
  • edited June 2009
    There aren't enough questions being answered!?!

I love monkey island!

Apart from Guybrush, will any other voice actors be used?

Wait, that would spoil it if you said it.

But still, are there others from MI 3 and 4?
  • edited June 2009
    Steltek: Good points and I remember encountering that one in GF, but they are also the results of bad level design. I really do understand how good controls can make or break a game but in an adventure game they are far less important and that is all I am trying to say.

And if we are going back to my original analogy, it is only flawed if I can't get the candy bar out of the wrapper in the first place.

Sheesh, you bunch are sure a humourless lot for comedy adventure fans.
  • edited June 2009
    Just watched the high res trailer, mmm pixelly goodness (though wtf wmv). There appears to be some fluff stuck to Guybrush's chin.

I think this is a conspiracy for TTG to take all our money. And the free episode isn't useful to me as I've already got all the games (except CSI, which is outside of the scope of the coupon); and any friends who like adventure games have also been persuaded to buy likewise :P
  • edited June 2009
    Please, developers, answer us to the Final Question:

-What kind of controls is going to have?

Don't worry, if we are here implies that we already paid.
This discussion has been closed.