Smooth things up!

Just wanted to know if it was possible/likely to increase the polygon number of some meshes.
Don't want to be annoying or ungrateful, but I saw a lot of smooth objects which are too... edgy!

Just to mention three of them:
1) Guybrush's sleeves look like prisms, not like cylindrical objects
2) The handle of Elaine's sword looks like a prism
3) The ship looks like a model ship toy.

I apologize again, I'm just a little tired to see stuff like this expecially in the adventure games. Imo, it's one of the reasons why people don't buy them: they look graphically old the same day they're released.
I'm not a freaking graphic maniac, I've never been, and don't even like photorealism, but a smooth object must look like a smooth object, I think.

Comments

• edited June 2009
    This stuff has got to fit on Wiiware as well (which everybody has been saying is a 40MB limit). They probably have to do what they can to ensure its release on the multiple platforms they have lined up for it. I don't mind low-end graphics. I still play 320x200 games, for crying out loud. Playing something with the visual quality of about 4 or 5 years or more ago isn't a big deal for me. Really all that there needs to be is believable animations. More often than anything else animations are what makes or breaks a CGI game/movie.
  • edited June 2009
    I see your point, but you don't see mine!
    I still play MI1 and MI2, and think they look gorgeous!
    BUT, BUT, BUT... Notice that back in the day they were released they were THE TOP even graphically. They look old now, but looked gorgeous and fresh back then. Now, TOMI looks already graphically old.
  • edited June 2009
    I don't care about polygon count or technology, I care about ART and immersion. There is none in the graphic style of TellTale, unfortunately. I don't know if it's budget limitations or laziness or what, but adventure games are so much better when there is real soul put into the design. The fact that this is just being announced and already planned to release in a month makes me concerned that they basically coasted through it.

Looking at LucasArts' incredible effort on the MI1 remake, I wonder if they would still be capable of producing a new MI better than TellTale.
  • edited June 2009
    Actually, I would be amazingly happy if all the new Monkey Games were made with 2D pixels like 1 and 2. Sure, it probably wouldn't sell well, but the development time would be much shorter and they could fit a lot more in the 40MB WiiWare limit. Personally, I love the old-school graphics much more than new graphics. (Or even if they wanted to do a more modern up-scale 2D, those points would still kinda apply. Gorgeous 2D looks better than bad 3D).
  • edited June 2009
    RockNRoll wrote: »
    I don't care about polygon count or technology, I care about ART and immersion. There is none in the graphic style of TellTale, unfortunately. I don't know if it's budget limitations or laziness or what, but adventure games are so much better when there is real soul put into the design. The fact that this is just being announced and already planned to release in a month makes me concerned that they basically coasted through it.

Looking at LucasArts' incredible effort on the MI1 remake, I wonder if they would still be capable of producing a new MI better than TellTale.

As I've said before, I'm not a polygon maniac. I just think that, in order to make artistic 3D, you can't make things too edgy.
    I'm not speaking about making a 1.000.000 triangles cylinder but, c'mon, those sleeves are 8-sided prismas!!! REALLY, COME ON!!!
  • edited June 2009
    I agree if the visuals look like that im going to be waiting to be impressed. guy brush doesnt look like the secret of monkey island special edition either.
  • edited June 2009
    I agree with this thread. While I'm excited about a new MI game, I'm hesitant about the graphics. Now I don't want Crysis, but I would like to see sharper textures and higher poly counts. The art style looks reasonable, but from a purely objective standpoint, EFMI looks better. That game was released eight years ago.
  • edited June 2009
    I agree with this thread. While I'm excited about a new MI game, I'm hesitant about the graphics. Now I don't want Crysis, but I would like to see sharper textures and higher poly counts. The art style looks reasonable, but from a purely objective standpoint, EFMI looks better. That game was released eight years ago.

They can always answer you that EMI had pre-rendered backgrounds and TOMI doesn't, and that the 3D Guybrush of EMI is worst than TOMI's one.
    And that's true, I agree.
    But that ain't enough to me.
    Monkey Island deserves better graphics than this, imo. Too bad we can't do anything, TOMI is gonna look like this, end of the story.
    What really saddens me is the fact that "graphic adventure" is becoming a synonymous for "bad graphics, great stories".
    Why can't it be "good graphics, great stories??".
  • edited June 2009
    They can always answer you that EMI had pre-rendered backgrounds and TOMI doesn't, and that the 3D Guybrush of EMI is worst than TOMI's one.

That's true, however most of the modern popular engines around today (Source, Unreal 3, Cryengine) could hork up something that looked better than EFMI's backgrounds with their hands behind their back. I'm not saying that's what this game needs, but the Telltale Tool is in need of an overhaul. The 40mb wii limit can't be helping either.
  • edited June 2009
    Totally agreed.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.