What's with all the complaining?

edited June 2009 in Tales of Monkey Island
I'm not sure anyone agrees with me on this. I've spent the last 24 hours reading these forums because I'm so excited telltales making a new monkey island series and I'm shocked at the level of complaints..you can't even enjoy the moment and this great news. Telltale secured the rights to monkey island. This is from a company that cancelled freelance police cancelled full throttle 2, has not released any of it's classic adventures on the ds or re-released them in America and showed no signs of having any interest in it's adventure game classics.
I'm sure that's quite a feat Telltale have pulled off and I'm sure they have been working on it for quite some time.
Yet in 24 hours people have complained about the control scheme, said the graphics and art style sucked, said it shouldn't be episodes, complained about the sound quality, about some of the voice actors, already are asking for dott/grim/ft sequels etc etc this is for a game that no one has even played yet and those that have had a first look say it's fantastic .. The puzzles will be trickier, you can combine inventory items, we get the original guybrush voice actor and original music composer. Yet all this criticism? That's the Internet for you I guess. We also need to remember Telltale is a small game studio with small teams who work very hard they just can't funnel millions of dollars and years of development time to do everything you want

There's a lot to be happy about:
- Telltale is making a new monkey island series!
- The writers working on it have been involved in the past games are ex Lucas arts in the golden era and are immensely talented
- Ron Gilbert has sat in on meetings had input on the game
- The first episode is being released in less than 40 days!

I find most people get riled up and will complain on the Internet while those that are happy won't even bother. So those that are just enjoying the fact that monkey island is back please reply so I can confirm I'm not going insane and we can enjoy this moment without criticizing every aspect of a game we haven't even played yet...

Comments

• edited June 2009
    People being crazy? people not believing? people not liking a good thing when it comes?
  • edited June 2009
    Guess they just want their favorite game series to be the best it can be.
    First the excitement, then the doubts. Think it's normal. Sure thing this is a great day and not a complaining one.
  • edited June 2009
    Adventure gamers being a lot dumber than generally accounted for.
  • edited June 2009
    I guess like everyone else, they want these game episodes to be perfect or at least help Telltale push them into the right direction - even if it does mean some users being angry mongrels in denial :p
  • edited June 2009
    Complaints are one thing, but it's the unpleasant, aggressive, spiteful tone of some of the posts that's annoyed me.

Not everyone of course, but enough to leave a bad taste.
  • edited June 2009
    I have no problem with constructive comments and trying to ensure the game is as good as it can be but some of the posts and the way they've been delivered has been outlandish..
  • edited June 2009
    Heh, Monkey Island fans are bound to be a cynical bunch. We have to be when the series is as iconic to many of us as it is, and what came out of its first transition into 3D(generally, not many liked Escape from Monkey Island.) Monkey Island has always been an all encompassing world that created its own mythos in gaming as a culture in itself. From the clever jokes to the utterly bemusing items(Skeleton Arm, anyone?) and meme's created by its fans: it is a series that many are extraordinarily passionate about.

While all of us are extremely excited by its return after 10-12 years of weeping, pining and hoping for another game, we are also extremely apprehensive; TellTale shall have a hard time convincing us this early on. Though the Sam and Max episodes were thoroughly enjoyable - they also lacked depth and the ability to get lost and truly puzzled. Which is what is concerning me slightly.

All we have to go on thus far is previous Tell Tale releases and the look of the game: so it is understandable that some are curious as to what Tell Tale can do with the series.
  • edited June 2009
    Telltale also have to contend with the fact that some people literally don't want to like new MI. If it's not Secret or Revenge - or incubated inside Ron Gilbert himself - it's wrong in their eyes.
  • edited June 2009
    im sure telltale games will do a great monkey island!

but i think the graphics could be better ... but i prefer their guybrush compared to the one you can see on the lucasarts website, the lucasarts one is ugly, in the telltale game i don't like the le chuck face, the lips are so huge and the face is kinda strange ;) another thing, which i dont know if it was the best decision is to release the game as espisodes ... but as i already said before, when i heard this morning telltale got the right to do a monkey island my heart started bumping really hard, im really excited!
  • edited June 2009
    Telltale also have to contend with the fact that some people literally don't want to like new MI. If it's not Secret or Revenge - or incubated inside Ron Gilbert himself - it's wrong in their eyes.

I totally agree with this. Every other post I've seen after this announcement has been something like, "Is Ron Gilbert involved??" He doesn't do Monkey Island anymore, deal.
  • edited June 2009
    I think people are really, really excited, but don't want anything to go wrong. Can't blame them. ;)
  • edited June 2009
    Only one complaint from me:

Man, that Guybrush is one ugly...
  • edited June 2009
    Shut Your Mouth!
  • edited June 2009
    I was only talking about Guybrush, can you dig it?
  • TorTor
    edited June 2009
    We all love that Telltale is making a Monkey Island game, and that's why we discuss it! If we hadn't liked the idea then we wouldn't have been on this forum at all.

No game is perfect though, and it's inevitable that people point out things that they would like to be different. As long as it's done in an constructive way, I don't see anything wrong with it.
  • edited June 2009
    Maybe it's because I am German (and Germans are known to complain about everything ;) ), but for me it seems almost the opposite: There has been not much more than the announcement, a short trailer and some artwork published yet, but most people here get almost hysteric about this new great game like children waiting for Christmas. - And there seems to be no doubt at all that this game will be much, much better than what they remember from 10 or even 20 years ago. - Why?

Yes, "The Secret of Monkey Island" (the original one) has been an outstanding game at its time. "LeChuck's Revenge" (the second game) disappointed me with the end sequence. (I do not want to spoil something here, but if you have played the game, you will probably remember what I mean.) I hardly remember the third game, but in the fourth game ("Escape from Monkey Island") the newly introduced 3D characters (and the related keyboard control) finally killed that unique "Monkey Island atmosphere" for me.

But it seems the "marketing machine" works perfectly here, like it does for some movies where people still buy their ticket for part 3, 4 and 5, just because the original movie had been great and the second one was not too bad either...

Don't get me wrong: I will give TMI a fair chance and consider to buy it after I had the opportunity to play the demo, but I will certainly not worship Telltale just because they announced to make a new "Monkey Island" game.
  • edited June 2009
    Over at the very first forum I ever joined I wrote a small article on the matter. Here's an excerpt from that:
    ...pardon me if I'm not jumping on the bandwagon with some of you and just taking up arms to this blasphemous rendition of a non-SoMI/LCR resolution/interface combination...but to me the sheer fact that this is even being produced is just...beyond words.

When I found out about this I was screaming, laughing, giggling like a giddy little school girl, so loud, I literally had to gag myself with a pillow so nobody would call the police thinking there was a murder happening. I was so excited, I started actually attempting to eat my pillows. The only way I stopped myself from actually doing that was by taking them and smashing my skull in with them! And still I couldn't breathe. Still I couldn't contain myself.

Think what you want about the new MI game(s)...but as for me...I for one, am excited.

I understand the desire for this game to be something incredible...something...more. I myself grew up playing SoMI. It was one of the very first computer games I ever played. And I'm just as much a die-hard fan as anybody else here. But that is exactly why I appreciate what is taking place here. :cool:
  • edited June 2009
    Complaining is fun!

Also, the TellTale forum is one of very few forums where you can actually get a response from a game designer or programmer who will actually discuss things. There is a sense that complaints are heard and acknowledged, which is not true with most companies or forums.
  • edited June 2009
    My only complaint is the visual style/graphics the way guybrush and lechuck look. Oh and 3d. Monkey island was ment to be 2d. I would barf at a 3d DOTT game
  • edited June 2009
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    Complaining is fun!

Also, the TellTale forum is one of very few forums where you can actually get a response from a game designer or programmer who will actually discuss things. There is a sense that complaints are heard and acknowledged, which is not true with most companies or forums.

While this is true and it is one of the many things I praise Telltale for. I have the eery feeling that listening to the complaints of fans is a battle fought against windmills. Again this discussion reminds me verry much of the words of Ben 'Yathzee' Crosshaw: "Fans are clingy, complaining dipshits who will never, ever be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill, tremulous voices, the happier you'll be for it." As for me, while I can see the point in many complaints, none so far have been a deal-breaker for me and I find it verry unlikely that anything will be.Lastly I would advise people to ask politely, instead of whining and complaining. As the saying goes:"You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."
  • edited June 2009
    The reason I'm not apposed to a lot of the negative comments about this game just after announcement is that constructive criticism at this stage can improve the final game. TTG generally takes into consideration reasonable feedback from fans. With development well underway on the series, any criticism of broad issues needs to be voiced very soon or it'll be too costly for TTG to make the change with this series, even if they think it is a good idea.

I do agree that some of the comments have been spiteful. I'm not trying to justify these comments, only the negative comments about the game that are trying to push for improvement of some aspect of the game.
  • edited June 2009
    While this is true and it is one of the many things I praise Telltale for. I have the eery feeling that listening to the complaints of fans is a battle fought against windmills. Again this discussion reminds me verry much of the words of Ben 'Yathzee' Crosshaw: "Fans are clingy, complaining dipshits who will never, ever be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill, tremulous voices, the happier you'll be for it."

You forgot "buy a zero punctuation t-shirt". :)
  • edited June 2009
    Shmeh wrote: »
    The reason I'm not apposed to a lot of the negative comments about this game just after announcement is that constructive criticism at this stage can improve the final game. TTG generally takes into consideration reasonable feedback from fans. With development well underway on the series, any criticism of broad issues needs to be voiced very soon or it'll be too costly for TTG to make the change with this series, even if they think it is a good idea.

I think that's fair and reasonable, but how about waiting till you have actually played the game first? I'm sure there will be a great opportunity to provide feedback after episode 1 is released, and from past experience Telltale are able to respond to that in the latter half of the season.
  • edited June 2009
    What's with the complaining, you ask?

Let me explain it, then - many people love point and click in adventure games, and rather dislike keyboard controls. Their favourite game series of all time is changing to keyboard controls (well, I know MI4 had it already, but that one hardly even counts as a MI game :p). Obviously people will complain about that.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm with you, Hero1. Why are all these people complaining about the control system on a game that HASN'T BEEN RELEASED YET? Come on, people, stop speculating! Read the FAQ on the Monkey Island page, follow the links to the previews done by gaming magazines/websites and about 70% of your questions will be answered.

And as for everything else: BE PATIENT. You'll find out stuff in the fullness of time, Telltale always announce things when they have them confirmed themselves. The only secrets they keep from us are new developments like ToMI because such a huge announcement comes as a pleasant surprise :)

So... will the game be on Steam? Until it's announced, the answer is No. It /might/ be on Steam, but because it hasn't been announced, it probably means "not yet, nothing is confirmed". What controls will the game have? I don't know. No use speculating until someone from TTG tells us what they are. Stop asking which characters are coming back - why not just play the game and be surprised if Murray or Stan make an appearance?

I thought things went downhill on these forums when all the H*R/Strong Bad fanboys joined when SBCG4AP was announced, and a vast vocal majority of the new seemed to have no concept of playing nice or keeping discussions relevant and intelligent. The forums were swamped with idiotic and poorly spelled posts. That's calmed down a bit now... but we have a huge influx of new people due to this Monkey Island announcement (and welcome to you all!) but please please please stop posting crap! Read all the other threads (and use the search feature!) before you post, so we don't have six threads about the same topic!

Argh. Rant over. I'll go back to lurking.
  • edited June 2009
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    Complaining is fun!

Yes, but it's a wonderful thing that many seem to be taking completely for granted. (I'm not saying you're guilty of this, by the way LuigiHann.)

The people stamping their feet, saying they'll scream until they're sick unless their graphical/control demands are met, aren't really in keeping with the spirit of constructive discourse.

If people act unreasonably, there's no reason for Telltale to listen to the boards.
  • edited June 2009
    Molokov wrote: »
    I'm with you, Hero1. Why are all these people complaining about the control system on a game that HASN'T BEEN RELEASED YET?
    The control system has already been released. It might be tweaked a bit, but odds are it will be similar to that in W&G.
  • edited June 2009
    Alucard wrote: »
    Monkey island was ment to be 2d. I would barf at a 3d DOTT game

Secret of..., LeChuck's Revenge and Curse of... were meant to be 2D.

I'm no expert, but I'm fairly sure Escape and Tales were meant to be 3D. I don't think something like an extra dimension occurs accidentily during game production.
  • edited June 2009
    What he means is he prefers 2D graphics in Monkey Island games.
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah. There's a different between constructive criticism and being vicious and whiney.

The control scheme thread made me slightly sick to read.
  • edited June 2009
    Why? The majority of posts weren't rude.
  • edited June 2009
    He's probably talking about the general tone of that thread..
  • edited June 2009
    You can't expect a positive tone when making a change lots of people really dislike.
    I would have expected a thread like that to be much nastier than it is.
  • NickTTGNickTTG Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Again this discussion reminds me verry much of the words of Ben 'Yathzee' Crosshaw: "Fans are clingy, complaining dipshits who will never, ever be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill, tremulous voices, the happier you'll be for it."

oh man... that quote has been ringing in my ears for awhile now. Gotta love Yahtzee.

man. i've spent to much time in that other thread. it's like a breath of fresh air in here
  • edited June 2009
    I don't get all the complaining either. OK Some people might want their game to be perfect. But it's not going to be that for everyone. I am a huge fan of the series and was simply excited to hear this announcement as well and the remake of Monkey Island.

As for complaints about the controls, it's a game, it's going to chage with the times and people have to move with it. It's MI! I wouldn't care if I had to play the game stading on my head and control Guybrush with my wang. It's MI!!!!
  • edited June 2009
    Hero1 wrote: »
    I think that's fair and reasonable, but how about waiting till you have actually played the game first? I'm sure there will be a great opportunity to provide feedback after episode 1 is released, and from past experience Telltale are able to respond to that in the latter half of the season.

While I haven't complained about anything yet and don't plan to at this stage, I feel the need to reply. Why make noise before the first episode comes out?

Because if people are concerned about things they see in the trailer and there is time to change things in the first episode still--which there is, to some extent and in some ways--then why not share the concern in advance instead of (as I am sure some people fear) dealing with a less-than-ideal first episode and giving feedback to get better ones later in the season.

You're paying for the first one, same as the others. Trailers and info are given so fans have interest in the game and some idea of what it's like; for many people, it seems, they have seen things that concern them with the graphics or control. Since they're paying for the first episode, they would like to have that addressed before it comes out, if the concern already exists.

Some comments are ridiculous, some are not, but it's silly to not say anything when you have a forum to do just that, not voice a concern when the info given raises one. I know I, at least, would be annoyed with myself if I had concerns from the preview information, didn't say anything, and had problems with the first episode--ESPECIALLY if they were addressed in later episodes. (Though there is such a thing as a patch.)
  • edited June 2009
    Armakuni wrote: »
    You can't expect a positive tone when making a change lots of people really dislike.

Nonsense. The Audio compression thread is a positive toned thread, requesting a change in a polite manner.

And saying a change 'lots of people really dislike' - you also need to factor in the silent majority of people who don't care about the change, or like the change, and have no reason to comment. The further away you get from the 'dedicated forums' - Telltale, adventuregamers, mixnmojo, and into more general forums - Kotaku, Nintendo Life, the less and less complaints you see and a much more happy crowd.

Outside of here in particular, most people seem really happy with the direction of the game(s).

Anyway, telltale obviously know this. But it must wear them down a bit reading all these demands and threads of not purchasing the games unless they're point and click, differently styled, 2D, on steam, blah blah blah...
  • edited June 2009
    jp-30 wrote: »
    Nonsense. The Audio compression thread is a positive toned thread, requesting a change in a polite manner.
    You can be negative while remaining polite, as many people have been.
    And saying a change 'lots of people really dislike' - you also need to factor in the silent majority of people who don't care about the change, or like the change, and have no reason to comment.
    Exactly, you shouldn't expect these people to post in a thread like that, I don't see what this has to do with anything. Even if lots of people like this system, there are still lots of people that absolutely do not. And you should expect hearing complaints, anything else would be miraculous.
    blah blah blah...
    Good controls is important to people. It's not just 'blah blah blah'.
    I don't care if you're happy with these controls, imagine if they implemented another system that you personally hated.
  • edited June 2009
    Just a minor aside, but when I think bad controls on an adventure game, my mind goes directly to Simon the Sorcerer 3D for a plethora of reasons.
  • edited June 2009
    You can be negative while remaining polite, as many people have been.

Negative TONE, not negativity.

Exactly, you shouldn't expect these people to post in a thread like that, I don't see what this has to do with anything. Even if lots of people like this system, there are still lots of people that absolutely do not. And you should expect hearing complaints, anything else would be miraculous.

All I'm saying is these complainers, while vocal, are the very small minority of people who will purchase (or potentially purchase) the game. Complains are fine, but people are being very rude and demanding with it, and it's unnecessary.

Good controls is important to people. It's not just 'blah blah blah'.
    I don't care if you're happy with these controls, imagine if they implemented another system that you personally hated.

I would suck it up and deal with it, perhaps even giving the new controls / game a try before blubbering all over the forums.

I do not like them Sam-I-Am, I do not like Green Eggs and Ham
Sign in to comment in this discussion.