Elaine's Accent?

I noticed that in Curse, Elaine had an obvious English accent, but it had somehow disappeared completely by Escape. I was just wondering if she'll have the accent again in Tales. I don't have a preference one way or another, it's just a curiosity.

Comments

• edited June 2009
    I view her with a british accent, I think that's how Telltale views her too, so I guess she'll have an english accent, or maybe something else, I dunno..
  • edited June 2009
    Since she's had two quite different accents already, maybe it's time for a brand new one? How about Scottish?
  • edited June 2009
    Weird, I viewed her with a Scottish accent, too.
  • edited June 2009
    Armakuni wrote: »
    Since she's had two quite different accents already, maybe it's time for a brand new one? How about Scottish?

Sure. And why not give her a completely different accent for every single chapter. Scottish, Spanish, French, German, and then something completely random for the last one like pig latin or something. That won't be distracting at all. :p
  • edited June 2009
    It would remain consistant with how they've done it so far :D

I was just joking, though ;)
  • edited June 2009
    Hardcore scouse. "Eee-ar, mace!"
  • edited June 2009
    As it's the voice actor from Curse I'm guessing she'll be good ol' Brittish.
    I always foudn it odd how she was american in Escape, did her accent localise quickly or something?
  • edited June 2009
    serweet wrote: »
    As it's the voice actor from Curse I'm guessing she'll be good ol' Brittish.
    I always foudn it odd how she was american in Escape, did her accent localise quickly or something?

Oh, I didn't know she's being played be the Curse voice actor. That's pretty cool, now we won't have to worry about Scottish accents.
  • edited June 2009
    I always found the voice actress for Elaine in Curse laughably bad and unbelievable. And judging from the Special Edition teaser video, she has not improved her acting abilities one bit. Elaine's Escape voice was one of the only things that was better in the fourth game than in the third. If the one from Curse is in Tales, I'll be very disappointed.

PS. It's not the accent. In theory a British accent would suit her character. It's just the horrible intonation and timing on the VA's part.
  • edited June 2009
    pluizig wrote: »
    I always found the voice actress for Elaine in Curse laughably bad and unbelievable. And judging from the Special Edition teaser video, she has not improved her acting abilities one bit. Elaine's Escape voice was one of the only things that was better in the fourth game than in the third. If the one from Curse is in Tales, I'll be very disappointed.

PS. It's not the accent. In theory a British accent would suit her character. It's just the horrible intonation and timing on the VA's part.

Ding! You get the prize for best summing this up!

Thankfully Elaine was turned into a statue for most of CMI. The makers of EFMI obviously saw it was something that needed fixing and well, if they didn't go and fix it! It was probably, as you said, the only improvement added to the series by EFMI.
  • edited June 2009
    Hmmm... I never noticed that. I always preferred the CMI Elaine. The voice I *really* hated from CMI was Gary Coleman. Completely phoned in... no wonder that guy can't get roles.
  • edited June 2009
    I didn't really like the voice of Elaine from CMI. It sounded silly to me and changed the way I perceived her character. I always pictured Elaine as a little tougher and with no accent at all. So British English but for Americans it would seem like a very subtle British accent.
  • edited June 2009
    A German accent would be sexy, but then I'd be getting flashbacks of Indy's love interest in The Last Crusade.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    The woman who played Elaine in CMI is back for Tales. The voice just came in yesterday or the day before, and I was pleased with it. One goal people had for Guybrush and Elaine, now that they are married in continuity, was to at least make it seem like in the time since they were married in Curse, they'd been on some adventures together or... scratch that... just that they'd been living together at all. Their relationship and banter at its core is the same as it ever was, but there has to be some comfort there at this point, or I think Guybrush will just come across as dumb (which he isn't) and Elaine will come off as a harping grouch (which she definitely isn't).

For what it's worth, I had personally always pictured her in my mind sounding basically like a slightly softer Marion Ravenwood from Raiders of the Lost Ark, but after much debate we went with the voice we thought most people would recognize, and the one which matched up with Special Edition.
  • edited June 2009
    Jake wrote: »
    after much debate we went with the voice we thought most people would recognize, and the one which matched up with Special Edition.

Does that mean that Earl Boen is also around somewhere for ToMI?
  • edited June 2009
    I thought CMI Elaine was perfect. Much better than EMI's voice actor. I'm thrilled that the CMI Elaine is in both TMI and SOMISE!
  • edited June 2009
    I thought CMI Elaine was perfect. Much better than EMI's voice actor. I'm thrilled that the CMI Elaine is in both TMI and SOMISE!

I was just about to say that, but now I don't have to, hurrah for the internet! The only thing that could make me any happier at this moment would be for ******* to ***** on ********** ****** with ************* carrying two ********! :D
  • edited June 2009
    S@bre wrote: »
    He's probably not doing ToMI but Telltale hasn't made a final decision yet.
  • edited June 2009
    Before the announcment of ToMI, my theory of why Elaine speakin in a different accent in the fourth game is because she may have bumped her head in the events between the two previous titles, resulting her in getting foreign accent syndrome
  • edited June 2009
    Awesome! British accent Elaine is much more attractive.
  • edited June 2009
    Agreed, she seemed far too crass in Escape From Monkey Island. Which is odd, because I heard the reason they changed her voice was because they found Curse of Monkey Island Elaine too bitchy.
  • edited June 2009
    Kralex wrote: »
    Agreed, she seemed far too crass in Escape From Monkey Island. Which is odd, because I heard the reason they changed her voice was because they found Curse of Monkey Island Elaine too bitchy.

She'd just had an evil pirate curse placed on her, turning her into a solid gold statue. I'd be bitchy too.
  • edited June 2009
    I don't think Elaine was bitchy in CMI, I find her more 'nagging', and I actually prefer her to be nagging, since it brings out the humor in Guybrush and Elaine's marriage. Let's face it, Guybrush is a pushover as a husband.
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah, I don't think I ever felt CMI's Elaine was "too bitchy"... just "not quite right".
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009

Earl Boen is not in Tales of Monkey Island.
  • edited June 2009
    Emily wrote: »

Altogether now, everybody.

3...2...1...GO!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited June 2009
    Jenny wrote: »
    I didn't really like the voice of Elaine from CMI. It sounded silly to me and changed the way I perceived her character. I always pictured Elaine as a little tougher and with no accent at all. So British English but for Americans it would seem like a very subtle British accent.

haha, who exactly has no accent at all?
  • edited June 2009
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

^ What he said...

Ah well, I suppose that we got used to Nowlin and Kasten's Sam and Max - they still did a great job even though it was odd at first - we'll just have to get used to the new LeChuck. Although it is strange that Boen is signed on for one game, but not the other.
  • edited June 2009
    Frankly I didn't like the voiceactors for Hit the Road. I loved the ones from the tv show but the ones from season one and two are even better. Due to the fact that I am german I know the voiceactors from the german version of HtR: Max was perfect but Sam was narcoleptic.
  • edited June 2009
    Although it is strange that Boen is signed on for one game, but not the other.

Does anyone know why he is doing one and not the other?
  • edited June 2009
    He might be too expensive for Telltale to hire? Lucasarts is a way bigger company than TT.

Or maybe he wasn't interested in doing a series of games, but found it OK to go back and do one game for a company he has already worked with before.
  • edited June 2009
    Or maybe it was the episodic schedule. Telltale's mentioned in the past that their choice of actors is limited due to the need to have multiple recording sessions spread out over a few months.
  • edited June 2009
    Earl Boen not as LeChuck? That's the ONLY thing about this game that I'm disappointed about. I feel that it's not LeChuck to me without him but I love everything else!
  • edited June 2009
    This Earl Boen deficiency saddens me. I am a sad panda.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm not too disappointed. Earl Boen did great job in previous games, but I find his portrayal of LeChuck to be a bit too endearing. Like a grumpy old nextdoor neighbour who yells a lot but nice once you get to know him.
  • edited June 2009
    Earl Boen was great, but the new voice actor from the trailer sounds more than fine. Not everything has to be the same (although I was hoping that Dominic and Alexandra were getting their roles back from CMI, which they are! so I'm pleasantly happy).
  • edited June 2009
    Jayel wrote: »
    I'm not too disappointed. Earl Boen did great job in previous games, but I find his portrayal of LeChuck to be a bit too endearing. Like a grumpy old nextdoor neighbour who yells a lot but nice once you get to know him.

I think thats pretty much how LeChuck is supposed to be...demonically evil in a lovable way.
  • edited June 2009
    Darn work connection.
  • edited June 2009

Kind of a shame but not a big surprise. In the trailer he seems to be doing a decent but not-quite-there impression of Boen's LeChuck... hopefully once he's
    transformed into human form
    he'll have a chance to develop his own unique voice, and the direct comparison won't present itself as much.
  • edited June 2009
    I always prefered Elaines voice in CoMI, in Escape it just seemed out of place but maybe that was my fault, I played CoMI into the ground for years before EfMI even came out and suddenly having her as this kind of arrogant American just threw me off.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.