Q&A With the Team

Comments

• edited June 2009
    MarkDarin wrote: »
    You hit the nail on the head! Right from the begining we decided we wanted to shoot for a look that fell somewhere between MI2 & CMI. These are generally most people's favorites (Often depending on which one they actually played first.) We wanted to keep a bit of the lankiness that kind of defined Guybrush in CMI, and couple it with that Iconic coat & beard we saw in MI2 (That is if you squinted enough).

Yeah, this works for me too. I was going to say that I preferred the look of Guybrush from MI 1, but on second thought, that kind of look wouldn't suit him anymore especially in a wacky 'tooned out 3D game world.

BTW have I mentioned that the new Guybrush reminds me of Conan O'Brien, if he had a goatee and ponytail? :)
  • edited June 2009
    You guys rule....seriously....I never thought this series would again see the light of day, and as such MI5 has been my most craved piece of vapor ware ever...and here it is about to release in a month.....today rules! I just hope for the love of everything holy (or unholy as LC would have it) that this game gets so much support that Lucasarts realizes what fools they were for waiting so long for this. Hopefully enough that they keep this thing going further.

As for questions.....I really didn't have any (I want to be surprised)...I just wanted to be a complete brown nose and tell you you've made my day/month/year this is the best news I've had in gaming in forever.

Thanks again,
    -mith
  • edited June 2009
    Jake wrote: »
    The puzzles will be more brain bendy than Sam & Max, but I can comfortably say you won't be using a monkey as a wrench to turn off a waterfall. Inventory combination is in, and you can go deep-diving in dialog trees to your heart's content. I don't know how it will end up comparing to the old Monkey games, but we are over the course of the series definitely pushing the tone of the puzzles a bit further back into the classic realm of hurting you a bit before they reveal their secrets than people who know us might expect.

Of course, the Telltale hint system is also there as it is in all of our games, so if you decide that in your old age you'd rather be entertained by a Monkey Island game without it crushing your very soul in the process, you can turn the hint frequency up. :) (Alternatively, you can turn hints off, too, of course.)
    Sounds pretty good. I like brain bendy. I hope the hint system gives you guys the confidence to then push the challenge! I like really having to figure out what to do and how to do it, rather than have my mission given and just fetch the items or have them basically fall in my lap in order. I was recently thinking back to how the originals were designed puzzle-wise, and it's just so much more clever and elegant than things are these days. It can't be an easy thing to design! Thanks for answering.
  • edited June 2009
    Thank you thank you thank you thank you!
    I love you TellTales for making this dream come true heart.gif

Oh my god, is it yet another month? I won't be able to bear it! Maybe I should freeze myself waiting for ToMI to come out, so it won't seem so long :D

Well, I had a lot of questions in mind when I began this thread about the controls, about how Ron Gilbert much was involved, about when the story takes place, about which of the games are going to be considered canon, and about how hard the puzzles will be... but they've all been answered down the road... Because yes, I've read through this whole huge incredibly fast-growing thread :D

I'm quite excited by what I have seen/heard/read so far, except I'm a bit anxious about the controls. With a keyboard? ...hm...well! Maybe it'll be okay! If the game's good, it's not all that important anyway. Some people stated that the EFMI interface ruined the game for them, but I wouldn't go so far. In my opinion, EFMI had more severe shortcomings than that, what with all the Marley-Toothrot mixup and the monkey head robot... if the game had had a great story, the interface wouldn't have ruined it, I think.Though I really loved the CoMI interface with the coin. You may call it a SCUMM throwback, I call it one of the best interfaces ever designed in graphic adventure games :D
    Or maybe I'll get a Wii just to play it with the cool motion controller. I've been wanting one for some time now, anyway :p

And I hope it won't be too easy. I really want to be challenged!! That's what I've always loved adventure games for :) *remembering the good old times where me 8 years old sometimes sat days before the computer until had I finally solved some puzzle* RockNRoll said it, there'll be a hint system anyway, so there's not reason to make it all too easy. I know the trend nowadays seems to be to make the puzzles easier, so I don't expect it to be as hard as Maniac Mansion or something like that, but I wouldn't like for it to be as trivial as Full Throttle either...

Oh yes, there's one question that's been asked several times but didn't get answered yet, and which I would really like to know. Will there be some kind of map? Oh I hope there will. I totally agree with Whitheaven somewhere on page 12, a map gives a sensation of depth and size, and helps you to really imagine the world, which makes the experience more realistic and truthful.

Anyways, great work guys! I'm really looking forward to meeting Guybrush, Elaine, LeChuck and all the other fellows yet another time :) :) :)
  • Ry GuyRy Guy Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    einheitlix wrote: »
    Thank you thank you thank you thank you!
    Will there be some kind of map?

Why yes of course! Tedious travel is a thing of the past. NEW AND IMPROVED. Well, probably just new.. well, it's there. Is it there?
  • edited June 2009
    Lunatic wrote: »
    The first thing i thought was, Why ... not ... LOOM...! :'(
    [...]
    3. Why not Loom?

It's been awhile since I played it, but didn't Loom kind of wrap up all its plot threads at the end?
  • edited June 2009
    Hi,
    my question is this - it looks like the new Guybrush is designed primarily by Steve Purcell. Is that so? Is he somewhat involved in the production of TMI? And can we expect a Michael Land score?
  • edited June 2009
    I'm interested in why you chose the Wii as the console platform for this title and not the xbox 360 like Wallace and Gromit and even The Secret of Monkey Island special edition?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    mish wrote: »
    Hi,
    my question is this - it looks like the new Guybrush is designed primarily by Steve Purcell. Is that so? Is he somewhat involved in the production of TMI? And can we expect a Michael Land score?

Guybrush was actually designed by our concept artist Ryan Jones (seen posting in this thread as Ry Guy). When Steve came in to talk about the painting he's doing for the box art, he commented that the characters looked somewhat similar to his current style, but nope they weren't by him :) We'll be seeing his take on them on the box, though...

And yeah, Michael Land's working on the music!
  • edited June 2009
    Waa Waa Weee Waaa!

This is very nice new monkey game islands!

In Kasakstahn we like prostitutes, but better the monkey game islands!

Back to reality!

Only one thing i want to know is, who is the funny guy(s) in this whole operation ?!?

Who worked out the Scheemingly Dastard funny jokes and references to other things in ways that makes me go to the bathroom twice as much as normal for having problems with my bladder control due to the pysical stress i get from laughing too much when playing TOMI!?

Who is the evil funny genious(es) ?!

And are they as funny, as they were in MI3 ?
  • edited June 2009
    IpFreely wrote: »
    In Kasakstahn we like prostitutes, but better the monkey game islands!

That may be the greatest thing that anyone has ever said
  • edited June 2009
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    that may be the greatest thing that anyone has ever said

+100
  • edited June 2009
    The puzzles will be more brain bendy than Sam & Max, but I can comfortably say you won't be using a monkey as a wrench to turn off a waterfall.

Good news indeed! (And it was a hypnotized monkey -- What a puzzle that was!)
  • edited June 2009
    I just hope every single puzzle is like the UWI - UNDER WATER IDOL!! one

wooooooooooh.. tough work that one
  • edited June 2009
    When Steve came in to talk about the painting he's doing for the box art, he commented that the characters looked somewhat similar to his current style, but nope they weren't by him :) We'll be seeing his take on them on the box, though...
    I must say, I really can imagine the new Guybrush looking great in the style Steve used on the "Zak McKracken"-box (which is slightly more cartooney than his "Monkey Island"-covers).
  • edited June 2009
    hi gaiz.

how much playtime will each episode be estimated to give ?

really wanna know. i hope ppl wont clear 1 episode in 1 hour or so :/

since its a month between every episode as i understood it.

thx :)

//ham
  • edited June 2009
    Gotta say I'm liking the look of Guybrush too. I think MI2 is my favourite look, and game. I was a bit upset with CMI as I don't think it answered the cliffhanger very well, and Guybrush seemed to get younger again (lost his beard). I still find myself yearning for Ron Gilbert's MI3 just to find out what the treasure of Big Whoop REALLY was.
  • edited June 2009
    Hey Guys,
    what are your favourite characters in the past Monkey Island games?
    If you have any kind of a special scene in your mind you could also tell :)
  • edited June 2009
    I wonder if the music is performed live.
    I hope so. :)
  • edited June 2009
    Hamstruts wrote: »
    hi gaiz.

how much playtime will each episode be estimated to give ?

really wanna know. i hope ppl wont clear 1 episode in 1 hour or so :/

since its a month between every episode as i understood it.

thx :)

//ham

cant remember the interview but they were talking about monkey island games taking about 20 - 40 hours to complete

and they said the whole series = normal time to complete one full MI game

so im guessing 20 ~ 40 / 5 episodes

hopefully 4 - 8 hours :)
  • edited June 2009
    hamzie wrote: »
    cant remember the interview but they were talking about monkey island games taking about 20 - 40 hours to complete

and they said the whole series = normal time to complete one full MI game

so im guessing 20 ~ 40 / 5 episodes

hopefully 4 - 8 hours :)

Hmm, somewhere around the forum I read 2 hours if you're good at puzzles, 4 hours if you're a little more perplexed.
  • edited June 2009
    How much input has Lucasarts had on the Tales of Monkey Island and how much input have the team of Telltale had on The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition?

Also, what sparked the interest in revisiting the series and what were some of the events to get this project started?

I had the opportunity in the past to play the games; however, when I was younger, I wasn't into gaming. So I'm excited that the series has been revived.
  • edited June 2009
    Hey, I finally have a question for the dev people:

In the second "Behind the Bad" video Strong Bad has a bunch of 5" floppies onto which he tries to copy some TTG data. The bottom two are Monkey Island disks.

Was this a subtle hint, or just the throw away gag it appeared to be at the time?

If it was a hint, are there other hints still floating around?
  • edited June 2009
    I was just watching the intro for the Secret of Monkey Island remake and I thought of something that never occured to me before. Where does Guybrush come from at the beginning of the game? The lookout post is at the very top of the huge mountain that dominates Melee, and Guybrush just walks in from one side of it and acts like he's new in town. How did he arrive on Melee and wind up on top of that mountain before meeting anyone to ask about where to go to be a pirate? He must have gotten really lost after he docked.
  • edited June 2009
    It's been awhile since I played it, but didn't Loom kind of wrap up all its plot threads at the end?

Not really, young weaver. Chaos is still out there...
  • edited June 2009
    IIRC, EMI said he washed up on the shore of Melée, without remembering where he came from, but with a strong urge to become a pirate. Other than that, his origins are never explained.

Unless you agree with the theory that Guybrush is just a kid in an amusement park, in which case, the point where he shows up at melée is when he's just entered the park, and he starts imagining he is in a pirate world.
  • edited June 2009
    Hmm, somewhere around the forum I read 2 hours if you're good at puzzles, 4 hours if you're a little more perplexed.

eek

Was this a telltales person?
  • edited June 2009
    Eduardo wrote: »
    Not really, young weaver. Chaos is still out there...
    Indeed. If wikipedia is to be believed, Loom was going to be a trilogy with the second and third game being based around the blacksmiths and the shepherds.
  • edited June 2009
    Bagge wrote: »
    IIRC, EMI said he washed up on the shore of Melée, without remembering where he came from, but with a strong urge to become a pirate. Other than that, his origins are never explained.

Unless you agree with the theory that Guybrush is just a kid in an amusement park, in which case, the point where he shows up at melée is when he's just entered the park, and he starts imagining he is in a pirate world.

I'm about to go through EMI again on the PS2, so I'll have to keep an eye peeled for that explanation. Of course, even if he just washed up on the island with an insatiable urge for piracy it's still funny that he climbed all the way to the top of the mountain to start his quest. :)

That second one I was thinking about if Ron Gilbert really meant for that to be the over arching story. He just wanders in from the most unlikely spot on the island because he's really just an imaginative kid.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm about to go through EMI again on the PS2, so I'll have to keep an eye peeled for that explanation.
    It's right in the intro, so you don't really have to wait long ;) Although he doesn't say he doesn't remember who he is, just that he wants to be a pirate.
  • edited June 2009
    Isn't all he says something like

"...when I washed upon the shores of Melee Island, armed with nothing more than a goofy name and my overpowering nurge to become a swashbuckling pirate"
  • edited June 2009
    Xocrates wrote: »
    It's right in the intro, so you don't really have to wait long ;) Although he doesn't say he doesn't remember who he is, just that he wants to be a pirate.

Yep, that didn't take long at all. This shows how my mind has attempted to shelter me from memories of Escape from Monkey Island. That or I've just not played it nearly as often as the other three games.

Additionally, I looked at the Wiki article on Loom and clearly I need to go back and play it again as well because I was thinking you know who flew off as a you know what and it ended happily ever after. I didn't remember all the stuff about chaos still having power over half the world.
  • edited June 2009
    all i remember about loom is a guy in a white hoody

lol

and that dragon

I finished the game.. but have no idea about the story line
  • edited June 2009
    Junaid wrote: »
    Isn't all he says something like

"...when I washed upon the shores of Melee Island, armed with nothing more than a goofy name and my overpowering nurge to become a swashbuckling pirate"
    That's it. I havn't played EMI in nine years.
  • edited June 2009
    hamzie wrote: »
    eek

Was this a telltales person?

I thought that it was, but refrained from saying so since I couldn't find the post again. I've just been looking once more and I can't locate it. Perhaps I imagined it. I have read an awful lot of posts in the last couple of days. I'll keep looking though.

EDIT: It was from this Gamespot article written at E3. Presumably the info is coming from a developer, but who can say: Tales of Monkey Island First Look

The exact quote from the article is, "Each episode is designed to be about two to four hours of gameplay, depending on how good you are with puzzles."
  • edited June 2009
    I was just watching the intro for the Secret of Monkey Island remake and I thought of something that never occured to me before. Where does Guybrush come from at the beginning of the game? The lookout post is at the very top of the huge mountain that dominates Melee, and Guybrush just walks in from one side of it and acts like he's new in town. How did he arrive on Melee and wind up on top of that mountain before meeting anyone to ask about where to go to be a pirate? He must have gotten really lost after he docked.
    I just assumed that he was someone from the present who was sent back in time by some sort of plot of LeChuck's going wrong, and decided to make the most of it by attempting to fufill his lifelong dream of becoming a pirate.

But being washed up on the shore works too. I always wondered if I'd missed an opening cutscene or something.
  • edited June 2009
    You and Lucas Arts made my day. Thank you for that. And by the way: I want an iPhone version (for everey MI part)! ;)

There is...at least for 1,2,3: With ScummVM...for the liberated iPhones ;)

Ewww, I meant: so I've heard! Arrr...wouldn't do nothin' to my phone Apple doesn't want me to of course...me's a good pirate.

Oh and thanks guys, you made my day (again, as it was with Sam & Max)

Oh this is Q&A....so I got to have a Q or A for not being off topic, right?

Hmmm...no....no nagging questions right now that haven't been answered :) Except for the "Where is the facts-file?" ;).
  • edited June 2009
    Are you guys using LUA as a scripting language? If that's so, are we going to see the Lua Bar again? Otherwise, are we going to see a different bar? :)
  • edited June 2009
    Serious question time round 2 (first one still needs an answer though)

How long have you guys been working on this, and how long have you known about the project?
  • edited June 2009
    I was browsing the concept art on the site, and i love the pirate version of The Vitruvian Man in the lab!

Also, is that the previously-cursed ring from CMI in Elaines ear?? It was a wedding ring after all so it makes sense she'd keep it...
This discussion has been closed.