Funniest joke/scene in the MI series *spoilers*

What do you think was the funniest joke or scene in the entire series?

Obviously this thread is going to contain spoilers, so only read below if you've completed all the games! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

I think the funniest scene was in LeChuck's Revenge when Guybrush attaches the banana to the metronome to hypnotize JoJo. I literally laughed for a couple minutes when JoJo freezes, staring at the banana. I still LOL just thinking about it, rofl.

Comments

• edited June 2009
    leather jacket...
  • edited June 2009
    How do I get out of this f.....ing island!
  • edited June 2009
    I can't decide between "It doesn't look like a skull at all! It looks like a great big enormous duck! It should be called Duck Island!" and "A Pirate I Was Meant To Be."
  • edited June 2009
    Have you heard of Bobin Threadbare?
    or I'm Bobin Threadbare, are you my mother?

both had me laughing, I love the reference jokes.
  • edited June 2009
    That reminds me, I love it when Guybrush is about to leave Skull Island and tells the Flying Welshman to wait a second...

And pushes the winch operator off the cliff lol
  • edited June 2009
    I mentioned this in a different thread, but I think my favorite gag must be the circumstances of Stan's appearance in CMI. That is some tight and hilarious continuity.
  • edited June 2009
    One of my top 5.
    So stupid and simple...(just like me at the time i played this i guess).

love2142.jpg
  • edited June 2009
    ^ LULZ, I don't think I ever saw that scene.
  • edited June 2009
    I have loads, but there's one that really stands out for me...

Near the start of Lechuck's Revenge, where Guybrush is gravedigging. It builds up suspense with creepy music, and for a moment it even switches to Largo, who shivers and says something like 'It feels like someone is walking on my grave!', then back to Guybrush, lightning strikes, highlighting his silhouette against the night sky. He thrusts his bounty aloft, epic music rolling in the background, and then... down go his trousers.

It was just a brilliant moment because I didn't see it coming, at all. And for such an old game, it was a surprisingly cinematic scene, and thus very impressive.

Edit: The memories come flooding back; tearing the pages out of that book, the manilla envelope, vandalising that wanted poster, taking well deserved jabs at that chubby Governer, telling Wally that Cap'n Dread stole his monocle... all golden. Gah, this is making me want to play MI 2... again.
  • edited June 2009
    "But it's pink!..."

Yeah, probably not the best, but even today I can't look at anything pink and not think of Guybrush.
  • edited June 2009
    I love the scene where Stan, looking at the Sea Monkey in the Mêlée Island harbour, starts regretting having sold the boat. He is about to cancel the sale, when the mast on the boat comes crashing down and he leaves the place in a hurry telling Guybrush "Then again, a deal is a deal".
  • edited June 2009
    Governer Marley's house in SOMI, when you go off screen. Hilarious.
  • edited June 2009
    There are far too many 1st class jokes in Guybrush's adventures to single one out, because even the throw away quips or descriptions were quite often side-splitters, but I'll quite happily read what everyone else's favorite bits were.:D
  • edited June 2009
    Heh, gotta love the one in Secret of Monkey Island, when you put the Piranha Poodles to sleep with the drugged meat, and a notice pops up saying;
    "IMPORTANT NOTICE: These dogs are not dead, they are only SLEEPING. No animals were harmed during the production of this game. "
    =)
  • edited June 2009
    There are so many things, but I always crack up at the long exchange with the Men of Low Moral Fiber concerning the bucket. "Pretty please with sugar, nuts, and a cherry on top." All that pestering and finally they relent. It teaches the valuable lesson to never give up on the MI dialogue tree just because someone says no a dozen times.
  • edited June 2009
    Guybrush: If I gave you your arm back, what would you do with it?

Murray: I’d terrorize the South Seas! I’d torture the living! I’d demolish the… er… What I meant to say was, I’d use it to pet kittens.

Guybrush: Nope. You blew it.

Murray: Drat.

Gotta love Murray, hope he returns.
  • edited June 2009
    Xocrates wrote: »
    "But it's pink!..."

Yeah, probably not the best, but even today I can't look at anything pink and not think of Guybrush.
    Glad I'm not the only one who caught on to that, sometimes I've tried quoting it in conversations, just makes people look at me like I'm crazy :P

But yeah like others have said, there's simply too many good ones to single one out.
  • edited June 2009
    "Oh...there's...a...monkey in my pocket and he's stealing all my change, his stare is blank and glassy, I suspect that he's deraaaaanged."
    -A famous children's song
  • edited June 2009
    every little thing is so funny. thinking back to the first time i played it, i still think playing through the original insult swordfighting is probably the most enjoyable time i've ever had in adventure games. still to this day, i make sure to get every single insult learned even when i can already beat carla.

the entire concept, just so frickin brilliant.

i also love when the really nasty tough pirates break character with guybrush over some small thing and actually show a momentary sensible side. love that. i can't think of a specific line right now, but there are a bunch.
  • edited June 2009
    Love the skeleton song... "the head bone is connected to the arm bone...."
  • edited June 2009
    HAHAHA i just thought of what always makes me crack up. all the conversations with the head of the navigator. i love when he finally smiles out of his depression too. oh god too funny
  • edited June 2009
    Papapishu!
  • edited June 2009
    SRTie4k wrote: »
    Papapishu!

bless you.

Rhyming insult sword fighting is still the best.
  • edited June 2009
    In SoMI, on Monkey Island, I love when you fall off the edge of the mountain top and are given the old King's Quest "Restore, Restart, Quit" option window. I totally flipped out and got mad when I saw it. "What the F*&@!!! I thought you couldn't die in this game!!!"

Darn those tricky rubber trees.
  • edited June 2009
    CalBearRJ wrote: »
    In CMI, on Monkey Island, I love when you fall off the edge of the mountain top and are given the old King's Quest "Restore, Restart, Quit" option window. I totally flipped out and got mad when I saw it. "What the F*&@!!! I thought you couldn't die in this game!!!"

Holy crap. I've played through CMI a dozen times and am certain I've never seen this. I'm going to have to load it up and find a good walk-though.

Makes the Voodoo Lady's prophecy, "You will die," even more prophetic.
  • edited June 2009
    CalBearRJ wrote: »
    In CMI, on Monkey Island, I love when you fall off the edge of the mountain top and are given the old King's Quest "Restore, Restart, Quit" option window. I totally flipped out and got mad when I saw it. "What the F*&@!!! I thought you couldn't die in this game!!!"

That's on Secret of Monkey Island, not Curse.
  • edited June 2009
    Holy crap. I've played through CMI a dozen times and am certain I've never seen this. I'm going to have to load it up and find a good walk-though.

It's not in CMI, it's in SMI.
  • edited June 2009
    SRTie4k wrote: »
    Papapishu!
    Gehundseit.

np: Sin Fang Bous - We Belong (Clangour)
  • edited June 2009
    I really like the details in the games. The library book index in MI2 has kept me entertained for quite a while :) Cant remember any specific ones at the moment.

Oh, and Wally. I take away his monocle first chance I get, just to leave him blinded for as long as possible :D Hillarious. Then blaming it on that captain.

All those references to grog and gags about how strong it is, eating up mugs and metal :)

Spitting contest :) Simply brilliant. Especially in hard mode.

All those "trademarked" items they made. Like the Sam n Max totems in SoMI at the giant monkey head. Well I think that was trademarked as well.

Murray and Stan. Also Guybrush asking Murray if he can call him Bob :) The first undead pirate he got to know in SoMI.

By the way, anyone noticed the kind of continuety fail they made in MI4 with the hermit on Monkey Island? In SoMI there is a diary about how Herman Toothrot got to Monkey Island with his friend, but in MI4 Herman Toothrot had another story about getting to Monkey Island.

Still not that bad since its the only story line problem I have found, and I did like the idea in Monkey 4 even if it didnt add up that diary.
  • edited June 2009
    kblood wrote: »
    Also Guybrush asking Murray if he can call him Bob :) The first undead pirate he got to know in SoMI.

Also, Bob had a loose head.
  • edited June 2009

Makes the Voodoo Lady's prophecy, "You will die," even more prophetic.

My bad everybody. I was thinking "Secret of Monkey Island", but I still hit C. I'm still getting used to using acronyms to distinguish between the games.

It's on the Secret of Monkey Island and it's hilarious.
  • edited June 2009
    Thought of another great line:

"You're a bunch of foul smelling, grog swilling pigs!"

"To be a pirate ye must also be a foul-smelling, grog-swilling pig."
  • edited June 2009
    Do you remember Bobbin Threadbare?
    (MI3)

Or...

Trying to hold your breath for over 10 minutes. (MI1)

Or...

The bone dance. (MI2)

Or...

Insult swordfighting (not the rhyming version).(MI1)

Or...

Pretty much every other scene in either of the first two games (and most of them in the third).
  • edited June 2009
    VanGoughderfassenson. Jethro VanGoughderfassenson
  • edited June 2009
    What about the chicken with the pulley in the middle! There are a hundred uses for it. :)

Oh yeah, and how appropriate. You fight like a cow.
  • edited June 2009
    I really like the 2 Deaths in SoMI (the fake one on MI and the real one when you held your breath for too long).
    And the Death in CoMI with the fake credits.
  • edited June 2009
    I like the Murry, Stan... I like how he never really seems to be able to get some Grog... I liked when Guybrush did the deep flirty "hey baby" voice in the third one it was funny.... All the Star Wars references... I hope they can still do them.
  • edited June 2009
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    I really like the 2 Deaths in SoMI (the fake one on MI and the real one when you held your breath for too long).
    And the Death in CoMI with the fake credits.

And dont forget the death in MI2, in LeChucks torture chambers. The lines between Guybrush and Elaine afterwards are really wonderfull.
  • edited June 2009
    "Well, Haggis is only my nickname. My true name is ‘Heart Lungs And Liver Boiled In The Stomach Of The Animal McMutton’."
    "Oh, so your parents were expecting a girl."
    "Aye."
  • edited June 2009
    - Guybrush Threepwood? Ha ha ha!!! That's the stupidest name I've ever heard!
    - What's Your name?
    - Mancomb Seepgood.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.