MI5 in 3D...

...Better not suck like MI4. So far the 3D looks pretty bad (is it supposed to?). What's the reason for not going 2D on something like this? Or atleast 2.5D. MI4 was horrid, absolutely dreadfull. Please don't make the same mistake all over again. Sam&Max was decent, but still not good enough. If MI5 is not up to par with the graphics of MI3's 2D, then I hope you'll die a slow and painfull death.

All other than that, it's cool to see a fifth game being developed, a geek-dream come true, albeit I had hoped for it to not be completely 3D, as almost all experiences with Adventure games in 3D has been a dissapointment, even the best ones. This was what ruined the Broken Sword series, don't make the same mistake here, please!

Comments

• edited June 2009
    If MI5 is not up to par with the graphics of MI3's 2D, then I hope you'll die a slow and painfull death.
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Anyway, I would recommend being more polite in the future, there is no help at all in being hostile like that.

And the graphics are good enough, have a little trust in them.. they've put out nothing but good games so far.
  • edited June 2009
    ...Better not suck like MI4. So far the 3D looks pretty bad (is it supposed to?). What's the reason for not going 2D on something like this? Or atleast 2.5D. MI4 was horrid, absolutely dreadfull. Please don't make the same mistake all over again. Sam&Max was decent, but still not good enough. If MI5 is not up to par with the graphics of MI3's 2D, then I hope you'll die a slow and painfull death.

All other than that, it's cool to see a fifth game being developed, a geek-dream come true, albeit I had hoped for it to not be completely 3D, as almost all experiences with Adventure games in 3D has been a dissapointment, even the best ones. This was what ruined the Broken Sword series, don't make the same mistake here, please!

It sounds like the current screenshots are from an unfinished build of the game without the enhanced shaders and lighting. The graphics are still getting major enhancements as the month goes by. The final product will be much better looking.
  • edited June 2009
    Damn I am fed up with this sort of thread. Others have posted the same exact thing at least a dozen times. It's boring and makes worthwhile threads hard to find.
  • edited June 2009
    What's the reason for not going 2D on something like this? Or atleast 2.5D.

The reason is no doubt that illustrated backgrounds are too costly and time-consuming for most modern adventure games, particularly ones that are on as swift a schedule as I imagine TMI is. You'll notice that LucasArts never made a game like CMI again, and that's because publishers can't justify throwing millions of dollars and a three year schedule on a graphic adventure game. Adventures don't make the profits of Halo 3, and so their budgets are accordingly smaller. It's just logistics.

That said, it's possible to not look at the situation as one where the glass is half empty and sprung a leak. What TMI lacks in mindblowing visuals it mostly makes up for with an appropriate, appealing style. I don't think the game looks incredible, but I do like it, consider it an improvement over EMI, and recognize that the game isn't out yet. I also suspect, simply given the nature of Telltale's games, that the majority of what will make this game visually impressive can only be seen when the game is in motion. The storytelling through camerawork, for example, tends to be a strong aspect of their products.

Oh, and if you don't already know about it, you'll definitely want to take a look at Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island, made by Autumn Moon Entertainment (another developer comprised of old LucasArts adventure vets, who also put out A Vampyre Story). Although it's an original game, the similarities with Monkey Island don't seem slight, and the game has 2D illustrated backgrounds by Bill Tiller (CMI Lead Artist) and looks amazing. Check out some screenshots. (Before you ask why Autumn Moon can do it and not Telltale, note that Autumn Moon has spent its entire existence struggling to find publishers for its games, whereas Telltale's production processes are the reason it can put out so many quality adventure games in a short amount of time while being able to enjoy what I assume to be some sort of financial stability, which is good both for them and for gamers like us who want adventures to continue to get made. The fact that Telltale has found a way to make adventure games consistently profitable is likely the reason they were able to convince LEC to sign off on a new Monkey Island in the first place after nearly ten years of us clamoring for it!)
  • edited June 2009
    Udvarnoky wrote: »
    Before you ask why Autumn Moon can do it and not Telltale
    I hope they, or another studio, will do so with the next MI game :) I would love to see a merge of 2D graphics like in CMI with some 3D characters like ToMI.
  • edited June 2009
    It sounds like the current screenshots are from an unfinished build of the game without the enhanced shaders and lighting. The graphics are still getting major enhancements as the month goes by. The final product will be much better looking.

I think that Tales from Monkey Island is looking great already, but do you have a source to backup your claims about shader/lighting enhancements? Or is this nothing more than pure speculation on your part? Look, I admire your enthusiasm, and I share it, but let's not misrepresent our opinions and guesses as facts.
  • edited June 2009
    LukeSW wrote: »
    I think that Tales from Monkey Island is looking great already, but do you have a source to backup your claims about shader/lighting enhancements? Or is this nothing more than pure speculation on your part? Look, I admire your enthusiasm, and I share it, but let's not misrepresent our opinions and guesses as facts.

It was said in the private pirates club. Some* of the shaders aren't final yet... I.E. Guybrushes glowing hand of pox.
  • edited June 2009
    I hope they, or another studio, will do so with the next MI game :) I would love to see a merge of 2D graphics like in CMI with some 3D characters like ToMI.

There's no doubt that at the end of the day Telltale is the best company to make a new Monkey Island game. They've got tons of ex-MI team members on payroll and they have a consistent track record of high quality adventure games with good writing and design. The fact that their budgets are presumably reasonable and that their products don't lose money probably had a lot to do with LucasArts (notorious for never making a move on the subject of their original oldies) licensing out to them over another studio.
  • edited June 2009
    Laokin wrote: »
    It was said in the private pirates club. Some* of the shaders aren't final yet... I.E. Guybrushes glowing hand of pox.

It was stated in some topic around here. I forget which one I read it in. But yeah it's no speculation on my part; it's a confirmed fact.
  • edited June 2009
    ungrateful moron
  • edited June 2009
    If MI5 is not up to par with the graphics of MI3's 2D, then I hope you'll die a slow and painfull death.

WHAT? Go learn some some manneers, you stupid scumbag!
  • edited June 2009
    It was stated in some topic around here. I forget which one I read it in. But yeah it's no speculation on my part; it's a confirmed fact.

This isn't the exact quote I was looking for, but here Jake says that the released screenshots haven't got final lighting yet:
    Jake wrote: »
    (Also, for what its worth, that's lit in-engine by the renderer we use for the game itself... so if anyone thinks the lighting there (on some hi-res ToMI wallpaper) looks nicer than their least favorite screenshot, remember that the lighting in those shots isn't yet final, and hopefully that will brighten your day :) )
  • edited June 2009
    If you like graphics like CMI, ya should probably get MI SE instead since it will be l ike the third mi game.

The reason the SE is animated and not TMI is cause the remake is done by Lucas Arts and it is prb not as expensive in updating somethin that is 15+ years old as oppose to makin a game from scratch

The MI remake may not have more animated frames, hence it may look choppy yet be cheap to update.
  • edited June 2009
    jp-30 wrote: »
    This isn't the exact quote I was looking for, but here Jake says that the released screenshots haven't got final lighting yet:

Thanks for posting that. I must have missed Jake's quote. I'm really interested now in seeing a shot with final lighting. I hope that his comments apply to environmental lighting as well as to character lighting though!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.