The real monkey ilsand 5?

I was just thinking about how Dave and Mike said that tales of monkey island is set after the imaginary monkey island 5.

I was curious about this, do you think Ron may have discussed with them that he may want to make a monkey island 5 in the future when he came over to brain storm with them. It may explain a bit more why they are steering away from a direct sequel. Might even be apart of the deal with lucasarts that it couldn't be a direct sequel.

Comments

• edited June 2009
    They didn't want to make Escape from Monkey Island 2 so they put a gap of time there.

If we ever bothered to give Ron his shot, I'm much rather see an alternate universe kind of game - starts off looking just like the Monkey Island Special Edition game but is original and a direct sequel to LeChuck's Revenge. That way it's not canon and we can see what Ron did. Probably wouldn't even be horribly expensive and a great move if the Special Edition of MI1 sells well and the theoretical sequel does too.
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited June 2009
    Nope. We never actually discussed that. Setting it after an imaginary MI5 was our intention from the beginning. We did it for 2 reasons, we wanted to put some ambiguous amount of time between the new adventures and the last one, and more importantly, we wanted to open the game in the middle of a climatic moment! I love big exciting opening moments! It pulls you right into the action and is a great way to quickly convey the personalities of some of the key players!
  • edited June 2009
    No, definitely not. People take that idea way too literally.

They've said just as many times that the beginning of TMI starts at the end of an imaginary MI5, which means if they made that MI5, not only would it have to lead into TMI perfectly, but we'd already know how it ends!
  • edited June 2009
    I don't think I want them to even make that Monkey Island. It'd be like a weird prequel.
  • edited June 2009
    If they do a prequel it would be interesting to see Guybrush's adventure to get to Melee Island to become a pirate.
  • edited June 2009
    Monkey Island without LeChuck would be a hard sell.
  • edited June 2009
    Irishmile wrote: »
    If they do a prequel it would be interesting to see Guybrush's adventure to get to Melee Island to become a pirate.
    Dominic Armato did write this in the Private Forum about Guybrush's point of origin in Secret of Monkey Island. Make of it what you will, but don't turn this into another Paganism discussion. :p
    Dmnkly wrote: »
    The week we were recording SMI:SE, I was hanging out and chatting with Adam Bormann, Senior Game Designer on the project, and he was talking about how when Guybrush first appears, he walks down from the top of the mountain on Melee. He doesn't come up. He doesn't drift ashore. He comes down from a place that doesn't seem to have any other point of access. Implication being, is Guybrush some kind of messianic figure? Could be that Ron's MI3 would have been a lot more interesting than anybody might've guessed :-)
  • edited June 2009
    PariahKing wrote: »

I suppose that is true... but it would still be fun.... It could totally be done in a flash back episode... maybe season 2?
  • edited June 2009
    In a way it's kinda like what they did for CMI (imo). It's sort of like they didn't want to mess too much with what happened at the end of MI2 and leave it a bit open on what happened.

Although, I am wondering... what if LeChuck is meant to die in MI5? Or any characters for that matter...
  • edited June 2009
    How about a prequel as LeChuck when he sets out to find the Secret of Monkey Island? :)
  • edited June 2009
    I would play that game too
  • edited June 2009
    In a way it's kinda like what they did for CMI (imo). It's sort of like they didn't want to mess too much with what happened at the end of MI2 and leave it a bit open on what happened.

Although, I am wondering... what if LeChuck is meant to die in MI5? Or any characters for that matter...
    You know, until recently I thought that CMI left it open too, but I just finished replaying it last night and at the end of the game, LeChuck ties everything up nicely and explains EVERYTHING thus far except for the Secret of Monkey Island. :P It's quite a conversation.
  • edited June 2009
    mhaley wrote: »
    Dominic Armato did write this in the Private Forum about Guybrush's point of origin in Secret of Monkey Island. Make of it what you will, but don't turn this into another Paganism discussion. :p

OMFG, guybrush is the pirate jesus
  • edited June 2009
    I would play that game too
    I actually recently saw a teaser trailer for a fan game that starred a young LeChuck.. it was a bit old, and it was Spanish I think. The animations were good. The characters appeared to be modified out of MI and MI2.
  • edited June 2009
    Knowing GT he could very well have been shot from a cannon.
  • edited June 2009
    OMFG, guybrush is the pirate jesus
    Guybrush Threepwood is the adventure gaming messiah.
  • edited June 2009
    Hm.. not sure why I thought it was in Spanish. Here's what I was talking about though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eTv1ZO45Y8
  • edited June 2009
    For me "Tales.." its monkey 5. Every Monkey Island game had "gaps" between each other:

1-What is Guybrushs past? We didnt know and didnt care.

2-How Guybrush and Elaine broke up, and what adventures did Guybrush had to get all those treasures, get so rich, and end in Scabb island? We didnt know and didnt care.

3-How did Guybrush escape the park and end adrift on the sea? We didnt know and didnt care.

4-What places did they visit, and what happened in general during their honeymoon? We didnt know and DEFINITIVELY didnt care.

5-So now Elaine has been captured, and Guybrush is there to save her. How did they get in that situation? I wont know and i wont care.

I think that ,besides the reasons Mark explained, TellTale came with this "monkey island 6" situation just out of modesty, cause they maybe didnt know how the fans were gonna react towards this new game.

But from my perspective they are making a really wonderfull part 5 of the saga.
  • edited June 2009
    yeah it honestly really doesn't matter one way or the other
  • edited June 2009
    How about a prequel as LeChuck when he sets out to find the Secret of Monkey Island? :)
    I'd play that, actually.

But only with Earl as the lead.

I secretly hope they're still wining and dining Earl and used another voice just for the trailer, or have a deal where the voice will be updated after all the games come out - special edition kind of thing.
  • edited June 2009
    I'd play that, actually.

But only with Earl as the lead.

I secretly hope they're still wining and dining Earl and used another voice just for the trailer, or have a deal where the voice will be updated after all the games come out - special edition kind of thing.
    Well according to the producer for SoMI:SE, Earl Boen was really excited about doing the voice again, so I can't quite figure out why he wouldn't be doing TMI.
  • edited June 2009
    Well according to the producer for SoMI:SE, Earl Boen was really excited about doing the voice again, so I can't quite figure out why he wouldn't be doing TMI.
    In the private Q&A section and all over the forum, I've seen people ask the question and it been ducked over and over again. Understandbly why either way - don't want to offend the new guy, don't have the details ironed out and thinking about ditching the new guy, or have it done but want it as a surprise - so I just find it odd no one has officially come out and said "Earl is not doing our game, our new actor is this guy. We really like him and hope you will all embrace him."

Honestly I really hope they can get him aboard. I'd pay more money on top of my pre-order for him to voice LeChuck, just for his plane trips out of Hawaii.
  • edited June 2009
    In the private Q&A section and all over the forum, I've seen people ask the question and it been ducked over and over again. Understandbly why either way - don't want to offend the new guy, don't have the details ironed out and thinking about ditching the new guy, or have it done but want it as a surprise - so I just find it odd no one has officially come out and said "Earl is not doing our game, our new actor is this guy. We really like him and hope you will all embrace him."

Honestly I really hope they can get him aboard. I'd pay more money on top of my pre-order for him to voice LeChuck, just for his plane trips out of Hawaii.
    Emily actually simply stated once that Earl Boen is not in the game. Was here in the regular forum, too. I hope they're just saying so for the sake of surprising us. Earl Boen sounded like an awesome and evil bad guy. The new guy sounds like a standard annoying bad guy.
  • edited June 2009
    Emily actually simply stated once that Earl Boen is not in the game. Was here in the regular forum, too. I hope they're just saying so for the sake of surprising us. Earl Boen sounded like an awesome and evil bad day. The new guy sounds like a standard annoying bad guy.
    Ah. Crap. There goes my cheery conspiracy theory. My apologies - must've missed that post.
  • edited June 2009
    Ah. Crap. There goes my cheery conspiracy theory. My apologies - must've missed that post.
    I'm still crossing my fingers that they're trying to surprise us. Or that they're pulling strings as we speak.
  • edited June 2009
    Here's a thought... If the fictional Monkey Island 5 has already happened, could this mean that the oft-mentioned five game contract Guybrush mentions in EMI is fulfilled, and they could start killing certain characters!?!?

:eek:

Doubt that would happen, but still...
  • edited June 2009
    I'd be OK with LeChuck killing Elaine.

Guybrush and LeChuck are really the only must have characters. Curse proves this. It would introduce a lot of character development for Guybrush and LeChuck and return the dark overtone. LeChuck could feel regret or blame Guybrush for driving him overboard. Guybrush would have to struggle to not become like LeChuck.
  • edited June 2009
    Here's a thought... If the fictional Monkey Island 5 has already happened, could this mean that the oft-mentioned five game contract Guybrush mentions in EMI is fulfilled, and they could start killing certain characters!?!?

:eek:

Doubt that would happen, but still...
    I have a feeling that someone will die, but not permanently. :)
  • edited June 2009
    I'm still crossing my fingers that they're trying to surprise us. Or that they're pulling strings as we speak.
    That's what I figure - they're probably trying to coax him to do it. I'm glad to hear he was excited for MI:SE, that's good news indeed. I was wondering if it was a money or a "I don't really care about Monkey Island issue" but I suppose he lives in Hawaii or something? Someone suggested travel is a factor.

If he doesn't do it now, I can see him re-voicing it over when it's all said and done. As it went along would be better. But then he'd only need one trip.

And if we all ask politely enough, if Telltale is not looking into it, maybe it'll encourage them to. The worst they can do is say "No." They're an amazingly kind and helpful company, and I feel like I owe them a huge debt of personal gratitude for reviving the beloved pastime of my youth. The people who work at this company are like heroes to me. Really care about the customers, what they think and their final product.
  • edited June 2009
    You know, Telltale has enough criticism as is from fans. If they killed off any character that wasn't completely new to TMI that they alone created, some people would be pretty outraged. They're trying to tread in Monkey Island territory quite carefully. I'm sure that if this season is all that exists of Telltale's Monkey Island, ever, that the Monkey Island universe will leave Telltale's hands just as intact as it entered it. Not to say that nothing interesting will happen throughout TMI.. just that nothing that would majorly affect the overall story and change things drastically for whatever Monkey Island game, if any, follows TMI.
  • edited June 2009
    <snip>
    You're probably right. I wouldn't mind it in a Monkey Island 5 LucasArts game though. The love triangle arc can only be pushed so far.
  • edited June 2009
    You're probably right. I wouldn't mind it in a Monkey Island 5 LucasArts game though. The love triangle arc can only be pushed so far.
    Yeah, just imagine if Elaine somehow died in LucasArt's MI5. That would throw TMI completely out the window. I doubt we'll ever see a LucasArt's MI5. TMI is essentially MI5 without having to tie up any loose-ends from EMI, I believe. Anything that follows will most likely come after TMI, and I would not be surprised if LucasArts asked Telltale to do it.
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah, just imagine if Elaine somehow died in LucasArt's MI5. That would throw TMI completely out the window. I doubt we'll ever see a LucasArt's MI5. TMI is essentially MI5 without having to tie up any loose-ends from EMI, I believe. Anything that follows will most likely come after TMI, and I would not be surprised if LucasArts asked Telltale to do it.
    I should have probably said MI6. I actually expect the fictional MI5 to never be made - sort of like that huge time gap between MI1 and MI2.

I love Telltale, don't get me wrong but I think if it's successful LucasArts is going to want to dip it's hands in the waters - they released Fate of Atlantis with the new Jones game and they're obviously gteenlighting the two MI projects. They have that new guy in charge who's supposedly a fan of MI.

But it'd be silly to never let Telltale make more episodes - you'd just do both and coordination game production. MI5/6 could be Curse Style or that new Pirates of Voojoo Island thing.

I kind of think the re-release and Tales will go over big and that will cause more Monkey Island releases and cash ins, for good or bad.
  • edited June 2009
    I should have probably said MI6. I actually expect the fictional MI5 to never be made - sort of like that huge time gap between MI1 and MI2.

I love Telltale, don't get me wrong but I think if it's successful LucasArts is going to want to dip it's hands in the waters - they released Fate of Atlantis with the new Jones game and they're obviously gteenlighting the two MI projects. They have that new guy in charge who's supposedly a fan of MI.

But it'd be silly to never let Telltale make more episodes - you'd just do both and coordination game production. MI5/6 could be Curse Style or that new Pirates of Voojoo Island thing.

I kind of think the re-release and Tales will go over big and that will cause more Monkey Island releases and cash ins, for good or bad.
    I really hope that if LucasArts does decide to do it's own Monkey Island beyond TMI that they don't try and cater to non-fans.

As for Telltale.. I would go so far as stating now that Tales of Monkey Island will be way more profitable for them than any series they have previously released. Maybe someday in the future, the full band (Ron, Dave, and Tim) can get back together and do MI6, at Telltale. Nothing I'm expecting.. just wishful thinking, of course.
  • edited June 2009
    I really hope that if LucasArts does decide to do it's own Monkey Island beyond TMI that they don't try and cater to non-fans.

As for Telltale.. I would go so far as stating now that Tales of Monkey Island will be way more profitable for them than any series they have previously released. Maybe someday in the future, the full band (Ron, Dave, and Tim) can get back together and do MI6, at Telltale. Nothing I'm expecting.. just wishful thinking, of course.
    I think you can both cater to non-fans and fans - you do want to add people to the base of fans. I'm not saying we need Monkey Island RPG. But some people will whine at the stupidest smallest detail and say that it ruined the game, but most people are happy after 9 years we got a new game. That's insane and highly unusual - not many series do something like that especially in this genre.

I think LucasArts could do a good job and not screw it up - they'd just have to hire competent people who know about the game.

And I definitely agree with you about Telltale. This is really a huge deal for them and can gain them crazy exposure and revenue. If they screw it up, it won't break the company - they're too well off for that - but if they excel they will make the company kind of like MI was such a big deal 20 years ago.
  • edited June 2009
    I think you can both cater to non-fans and fans - you do want to add people to the base of fans. I'm not saying we need Monkey Island RPG. But some people will whine at the stupidest smallest detail and say that it ruined the game, but most people are happy after 9 years we got a new game. That's insane and highly unusual - not many series do something like that especially in this genre.

I think LucasArts could do a good job and not screw it up - they'd just have to hire competent people who know about the game.

And I definitely agree with you about Telltale. This is really a huge deal for them and can gain them crazy exposure and revenue. If they screw it up, it won't break the company - they're too well off for that - but if they excel they will make the company kind of like MI was such a big deal 20 years ago.
    Yeah.. I don't think Telltale has ever got this much attention before. Aside from pre-order sales, I'm sure there are at least a few new customers that have only just heard of Telltale from the Monkey Island news, and by now have purchased their other series. This is going to be and already is a massive undertaking for Telltale. They're handling it quite well so far, and I'm really interested in seeing how things change for them between now and the release of the TMI DVD near or after the end of this year.
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah.. I don't think Telltale has ever got this much attention before. Aside from pre-order sales, I'm sure there are at least a few new customers that have only just heard of Telltale from the Monkey Island news, and by now have purchased their other series. This is going to be and already is a massive undertaking for Telltale. They're handling it quite well so far, and I'm really interested in seeing how things change for them between now and the release of the TMI DVD near or after the end of this year.
    I'll be honest - before Monkey Island, I had 0% interest in Telltale. I did not care about adventure games anymore and left them for dead sadly. I had become apathetic and bitter over it. I knew they were making new Sam and Max but I didn't really like them that much compared to MI and was underwhelmed by the demo.

Then it was announced they were making Monkey Island so I researched them insanely and found out who they were and I realized I loved everything they were doing - they were making adventure games - MULTIPLE SERIES of old beloved franchises like Sam and Max and Monkey Island! I went ahead and paused and decided to buy one of each of their series whilst I was using my free game for preordering.

So I bought Bone I, Strong Bad I, Wallace and Gromit I. Then I played Sam and Max Episode One with my mother. One of the most amazing moments of my life - I gave her my old but still quality desktop computer and then downloaded the game for her. She hadn't had a real computer to play in forever - when I couldn't fix the sound originally, she didn't mind. She was happy to play without audio. (I did eventually fix it.)

So the look on her face and her excitement and her joy when she figured out the puzzle where you
    shoot the cheese with the gun
    was amazing and worth every penny.

I then bought The Hardcover Reprint of Sam and Max Comics, Sam and Max Season 1, Sam and Max Season 2, as well as both the special edition DVDs. I intend to get a job to get more money so I can purchase more items from Telltale like the Strong Bad and Wallace and Gromit, even the poker thing and the other Bone and maybe CSI. I just want to give this company my money for all the wonderful things they do. I would never steal their games. Ever. They are like personal heroes to me, for bringing old memories and happiness to me and my mother.

By making Monkey Island, they got me hooked on their other products.
  • edited June 2009
    I'll be honest - before Monkey Island, I had 0% interest in Telltale. I did not care about adventure games anymore and left them for dead sadly. I had become apathetic and bitter over it. I knew they were making new Sam and Max but I didn't really like them that much compared to MI and was underwhelmed by the demo.

Then it was announced they were making Monkey Island so I researched them insanely and found out who they were and I realized I loved everything they were doing - they were making adventure games - MULTIPLE SERIES of old beloved franchises like Sam and Max and Monkey Island! I went ahead and paused and decided to buy one of each of their series whilst I was using my free game for preordering.

So I bought Bone I, Strong Bad I, Wallace and Gromit I. Then I played Sam and Max Episode One with my mother. One of the most amazing moments of my life - I gave her my old but still quality desktop computer and then downloaded the game for her. She hadn't had a real computer to play in forever - when I couldn't fix the sound originally, she didn't mind. She was happy to play without audio. (I did eventually fix it.)

So the look on her face and her excitement and her joy when she figured out the puzzle where you
    shoot the cheese with the gun
    was amazing and worth every penny.

I then bought The Hardcover Reprint of Sam and Max Comics, Sam and Max Season 1, Sam and Max Season 2, as well as both the special edition DVDs. I intend to get a job to get more money so I can purchase more items from Telltale like the Strong Bad and Wallace and Gromit, even the poker thing and the other Bone and maybe CSI. I just want to give this company my money for all the wonderful things they do. I would never steal their games. Ever. They are like personal heroes to me, for bringing old memories and happiness to me and my mother.

By making Monkey Island, they got me hooked on their other products.
    Well you made quite a mighty post, but I'm about to shove off here, so this will be probably be my last post.

I have plenty of friends, ones that I introduced to Monkey Island, that never ever heard of Telltale, so I've had to vouch for their awesomeness. I've been with them since they started Sam & Max, and have even talked to a few team members at San Diego Comic-Con. I have invested in every series of theirs since Sam & Max, though I only have one episode each of SBCG4AP and W&G, but if I could afford to, I'd own the full seasons for both as well. It was pure luck that a friend of mine was kind enough to out of the blue gift TMI to me just because they knew how big a fan of Monkey Island I was.

Telltale has already done some really great things, and they just keep getting better and better. This company is destined for great things still, and I'll be with them the rest of the way, you can count on that.
  • edited June 2009
    Yes, it's 2:46 AM in Youngstown. Can't plunder without enough rest.
  • edited June 2009
    Yes, it's 2:46 AM in Youngstown. Can't plunder without enough rest.
    Hah, it's 2:46AM here as well. I'm sketching Guybrush at the moment actually.. then to bed. ;)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.