Telltale Wanted Us to Hate Sarah and Nick

Comments

• edited August 2014

Why would he just suddenly approve of them being killed off?

skoothz posted: »

Nick Breckon is the lead writer of Season 2. He wrote Nick and Sarah in a far more sympathetic light but being lead writer means that whatever they wrote was under his approval. Those deaths happened on his okay.

• edited August 2014

People are asking for deaths that have a satisfying conclusion rather than having their arc be completely thrown under the rug because Telltale didn't have time to fully develop their characters, as for the whole Sarah scenario, her first death is fine, BUT her second death is terrible, there was so much potential to bring Sarah's character arc somewhere interesting and it gets completely wasted, I'm not entirely sure you're getting the point as to why people are upset, and people really need to stop using the "realistic" argument it doesn't really work here.

maxbear29 posted: »

I disagree. The fact that you felt attached and like they had developed was good, that's what Telltale wanted you to feel about them. They d

• I can't say I understand it either, myself. But as the lead writer, that's his job.

Why would he just suddenly approve of them being killed off?

• edited August 2014

At this point I don't really get how someone could like one and hate the other. Like I said, there are very clear parallels between the two. I'd like to say it's probably because Nick has funnier lines, but the fact that he's an adult man probably has something to do with it as well. Teenage girl characters are often disliked on principal alone.

If Rigtail doesn't like Sarah, that's his business, but I'd rather not go into the tedious discussion as to whether or not she's likable in my thread, here.

Ellias posted: »

get out

• So Artsy Fartsey.

• Ah, a paradox! For I am two years younger than you then!

• uhhhhhhh

CrazyGeorge posted: »

So Artsy Fartsey.

• I hate how this season almost forces you to be this way. Sure you can save Sarah, but why should you? She dies minutes later, and this death is poorly slapped together. Nobody seems to care that she just died and everybody goes off to see the baby like nothing happened. In Season one, you have a similar choice, drop Ben or pull him up. If you want to drop Ben because he is weak, useless, whatever, you can. But if you save him, you actually get something out of it. Ben tries his best to help in Episode 5. He actually develops as a character if you save him. People care if you drop him or leave him, unlike Sarah in Season 2. I honestly don't mind if people want to play as a 'cold survivalist that does not keep the weak', but if other choices get totally shafted to prefer this mind set, that is not ok. This game should be "you have a choice" not "you have a choice, but you should choose this because the other option sucks"

• You need to quit assuming things. I respect opinions to an extent. As long as they are not ridiculous or psychopathic.

• Exactly. Like I said, Telltale wants you to choose the options that treat Nick and Sarah like they're worthless liabilities.

I hate how this season almost forces you to be this way. Sure you can save Sarah, but why should you? She dies minutes later, and this death

• It's honestly terrible. They were easily my two favorite characters from this season, and they way they got rid of them makes me wonder why they even bothered making characters with personality, only to kill them off in a meaningless way. They weren't even proper deaths, they were just disposed of.

• See Telltale, this is a perfect example. This lazy writing is making you lose fans.

All I have played of Telltale Games is TWD Season 1. I haven't even bought Season 2 yet, or any of their other games, and I know I'm never g

• I don't get your comment, I love both nick and sarah, they're my favorite. I was just on that one guy since I think he loved how telltale killed off sarah. Anyways yeah i'm not really going to argue or reply anymore to him since I've made my point.

At this point I don't really get how someone could like one and hate the other. Like I said, there are very clear parallels between the two.

• edited August 2014

Nick Breckon being the lead writer doesn't mean he dictates what other writers write, just how the main story goes.

I can't say I understand it either, myself. But as the lead writer, that's his job.

• I believe even TTG doesn't really know what they are doing with Season 2

• Yes, well said. I felt the exact same way after completing episode 4. I was disappointed in how Telltale handled both characters, but I personally had more problems with how they handled Sarah, because I ended up identifying with her more than Nick, since I have dealt with anxiety in my past, and still sometimes struggle with it. Not to mention Sarah struck me as the type of kid that was bullied as well, especially with the amount of hate that she got, it reminded me of childhood bullies. I don't think many people understand the amount of strength it takes to overcome these types of hardships in life, and how strong people that make it out of these situations actually are. I'm sure everyone can relate to being bullied, and the feeling of being useless because of it, so because of this I really wanted a chance for Sarah to come out of her shell even if for a moment before she died to prove her worth and show she can do something, that she wasn't completely useless or a liability, and there was hope for her yet... it was just cut short.

But sadly we weren't given that, neither were we meant to even care about her when she died in her second death. I actually feel like her first death was more fitting for her, so it would've been better if they had just scripted Sarah's death there. It honestly wasn't worth having her live for what? Two lines of dialogue? Before such a ridiculous death scene, that it was obvious Telltale wanted her dead.

With Nick, I think if they had actually given him a better death scene, and a role in episode 3 or 4, his character arc would've been fine as long as he had some sort of defining moment before being killed off. I didn't expect him to die a heroic death or something, just something to conclude his character arc... But of course finding him stuck in a fence is more "realistic", so realism wins over in a fictional story.

I wasn't mad that both Nick and Sarah died, I was actually certain they'd die, but I was fine with that, as long as their characters served a purpose other than death fodder, which didn't happen. I remember when we all thought we'd all have a choice between choosing between humanity and survival, but now I feel like we don't even have that choice anymore, it's all just going to come down to survival in the end.

• I was agreeing with you and saying I didn't understand why people didn't like them. But I was also saying I don't want an argument about whether or not Sarah is likable to happen because this isn't what I want my thread to be about. I think it was rude of him to say that, I'd rather he express his dislike of her elsewhere, but I decided to just ignore it because it wasn't worth getting into.

I don't get your comment, I love both nick and sarah, they're my favorite. I was just on that one guy since I think he loved how telltale killed off sarah. Anyways yeah i'm not really going to argue or reply anymore to him since I've made my point.

• A major character death is something he would mostly likely approve/disapprove, yeah. That's a pretty important aspect of the plot.

Nick Breckon being the lead writer doesn't mean he dictates what other writers write, just how the main story goes.

• Horrible excuse.

Rigtail posted: »

I don't see how hating a fictional character in a video game is considered "ridiculous" or "psychopathic".

• I don't see how hating a fictional character in a video game is considered "ridiculous" or "psychopathic".

You need to quit assuming things. I respect opinions to an extent. As long as they are not ridiculous or psychopathic.

• It honestly is sad. People say that even if you try to play good in this game you would let people like Sarah die in real life. No I wouldn't, because I'm a human. I'm not a monster. It kind of scares me how people can think like that.

I agree, and the fact that people try to justify it "Oh, they were holding the group down" kind of angers me. It also pisses me off that the

• I also hated how they gave both characters brutal deaths but both only got like two lines of dialogue about it

Also sarah.. her death was really unnecessary and a big middle finger to the face to people who actually cared for her. Both deaths

• I don't care

... I don't know.

• I don't care.

... I don't know.

• edited August 2014

Yes episode 4 Amid The Ruined Characters. There really should have been a save Jane or Sarah choice imo. Telltale probably knew what the majority of players would have easily chose in that situation so they might have made Sarah's death forced the second time to make Sarah fans cringe. Sarah could have eventually changed her ways. The writers might of possibly tried to make her death feel similar to Ben's and get a familiar reaction from the audience. With the first death you get the option to save them and continue living with the group longer or let them go because they might be seen as a liability or heavy burden on the group. Both characters are suicidal in the first death and wish to live in the second death but die anyway in a much more dramatically worse way. Sarah had more hope to live the second time than Ben were it not for Sarah's allies just spectating her whole death with wide eyes, or she could have at least been mercy killed with a bullet to the head by one of her friends whom each had guns, even we as the player character had a gun and only get the option to use it on Rebecca at the very end. Ben does get put out of his misery by Kenny with a bullet. Sarah didn't have that luxury and had to suffer the worse way possible ... even Jane who was right next to her had a pistol from when she held Arvo at gunpoint. Sarah didn't really deserve to go out like that and wasted. It sucked.

Also sarah.. her death was really unnecessary and a big middle finger to the face to people who actually cared for her. Both deaths

• edited August 2014

I mean maybe it was Nick's intent to have the characters killed and the new writers just presented it badly.

A major character death is something he would mostly likely approve/disapprove, yeah. That's a pretty important aspect of the plot.

• Having sympathetic characters die is understandable. But my opinion on Telltale's writers really lowered once I found out that they themselves had disdain for the 'weak' characters. Is this why they're trying to push selfish loners (Jane) and raging psychotics (Kenny) onto us while letting more vulnerable characters die pathetically? Is this why they took a mean-spirited glee in having an excuse to slap a grieving young woman?

This is the kind of mindset the first Walking Dead was meant to warn against, not support. I'm pretty disgusted by Season 2 now. There's a difference between writing a dark, twisted story, and believing that darkness is the only way you can be.

• I would have preferred if Nick was still alive by the time Clementine and Jane reached them, and Nick could have a final conversation with Clementine, possibly ending in him giving her Pete's watch, depending on whether you took it from the Cabin and gave it to him and your relationship with Nick.

As for Sarah, they could've at least given her a gun to help fight off the Walkers if Clementine chose to stay with Rebecca, and maybe have Jane AND someone else to help Sarah. Although if Sarah survived I feel like they would've showed her putting the gun to the side of her head when the Russians ambushed.

• Artsy Fartsey's my middle name.

CrazyGeorge posted: »

So Artsy Fartsey.

• It would've been cool if Nick stayed alive up until Sarah fell, and he goes down and tries to save her.

prink34320 posted: »

I would have preferred if Nick was still alive by the time Clementine and Jane reached them, and Nick could have a final conversation with C

• This kind of helps make Molly and Jane more different also than just copy character and shiz

PoopBrown posted: »

Damn dude, "In Season 1, we were meant to sympathize with Molly, and to hate Crawford. In Season 2, we're meant to become Crawford." Powerful stuff there.

• Someone should ask a TTG writer on Twitter. I think they'd just give the "It's a zombie apocalypse thangs happen futile stories" excuse instead of a good literary excuse. I like Telltale so much but what they've done to Nick and Sarah is just why, Omid was bad enough but it had a literary reason

A major character death is something he would mostly likely approve/disapprove, yeah. That's a pretty important aspect of the plot.

• edited August 2014

Wow,this thread blowed me away.

• edited August 2014

While I wouldn't say that every character has to do something hugely heroic in order to have an impactful conclusion to their story arc, I definitely agree that Sarah and Nick's deaths weren't meaningful, and the way they were handled only hurt the story's potential, as well as what its established thematically.

Molly was never my favorite character in season 1, but I could at least appreciate the point of her story (if you give up on everyone to survive against monsters like Crawford did, you've already become a monster). But the ending of Jane's story essentially forces you into the mindset that the weak can't be saved, and that you shouldn't bother trying. After all the build-up of showing how it takes different kinds of people to survive together and that emotional connections are what keep us going, two of the most sympathetic characters have a bridge dropped on them, and no one is even given a chance to care.

So after all the build-up, the sentiment of losing your family but still moving forward with those you care about is lost for the sake of numbing futility. Nick and Sarah made me defend the direction of this season, but they were dropped to clean up the plot's loose ends.

• I agree that they've been mishandled but to read spoilers for S2 and let other's opinions influence you to not rent or purchase it yourself seems foolish. So many things I absolutely love have had bad reviews, you could rent this and see the good points instead of simply writing the entire game as bad and not worth purchasing. Like people say it's better than most games around

All I have played of Telltale Games is TWD Season 1. I haven't even bought Season 2 yet, or any of their other games, and I know I'm never g

• Telltale: We don't want you to like Nick
    Telltale: gives him funny lines
    ????
    Also I felt as if Sarah was going to be a bigger part in episode 4. I taught her how to shoot..why didn't she help out while Rebecca was giving birth? (Besides lack of weapons I guess) It just felt wasted.

• This. If determinant characters are in the game they should be like Doug and Carley and Ben, I mean Pete and Alvin of all determinant characters were given better arcs than Nick and Sarah. In fact Pete and Alvin got better arcs than Omid and Carlos, aka non determinant characters which is just odd

I hate how this season almost forces you to be this way. Sure you can save Sarah, but why should you? She dies minutes later, and this death

• I felt like he was originally going to be double determinant, and that he'd live if you left Sarah at the trailer park and if you saved Sarah, Nick would boost Jane up then get eaten by Walkers...

It would've been cool if Nick stayed alive up until Sarah fell, and he goes down and tries to save her.

• Can telltale PLEASE hire writers that care about these characters and series rather than just money? If it were up to me, I could've written these episodes way better than these "professional writers".

• edited August 2014

While I always found it more satisfying to save Ben, I still appreciated the amount of variance the dialogue could have with either outcome.

If you drop Ben you have to deal with Clementine's reaction to it, and even then, you're given a chance to explain why you did it. You're able to explain that Ben bravely asked you to leave him so that the rest of the group could escape, or you can bluntly state that risking the entire group wasn't worth the life of one person. It was the same with the station-wagon choice, or the fate of the Saint Johns; the best moral choices are the ones that give both sides credence and impact, even if the ultimate outcome of the plot is the same. Sadly, I didn't get that feeling with saving Nick and Sarah, as they're both written off and forgotten with hardly a second mention.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.