Q&A With the Team

Comments

• edited July 2009
    Arrrrggg.. soo tired.. been waking up every two hours to check if the download is ready... The picture is there now (in the "my games" section), but still no link.

I'll go sit in the corner and cry for an hour, then try again.. SOOOO CLOSE!

*yawn*

It's still the 6th in the US I think... go have a sleep and come back in about 20 hours :)
  • edited July 2009
    The longer you sleep the better the chance the download will be there when you get up. :)

I'm about to go insane counting down the hours. Maybe I should take a sleeping pill and just sleep all the way through the next 24 hours. :eek:
  • edited July 2009
    Still an hour till midnight here in Norway, and we're CET.
  • edited July 2009
    Maybe I should take a sleeping pill and just sleep all the way through the next 24 hours.
    That's what Michael Jackson said. Just take a breath, and try to think about something else for the next 24 hours.

I am listening to my newly arrived Thriller 25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition album, and watching Sliders episodes on Hulu (not at the same time).
  • edited July 2009
    Lorith wrote: »
    Still an hour till midnight here in Norway, and we're CET.

yup, sadly doesn't mean we can play it then though :(
  • edited July 2009
    Hello to everyone, i've also preordered the game a few minutes ago. It's almost midnight here in Spain too, but i guess we europeans must wait till tomorrow's midday ;)
  • edited July 2009
    Lenar Hoyt wrote: »
    Hello to everyone, i've also preordered the game a few minutes ago. It's almost midnight here in Spain too, but i guess we europeans must wait till tomorrow's midday ;)

Well hopefully it will be available in the midnight in USA so here (Finland) it should be around 07 in the morning.
  • edited July 2009
    Alright cool, gonna set my alarm clock, start the d/l and get back to sleep...
  • edited July 2009
    Timba wrote: »
    Well hopefully it will be available in the midnight in USA so here (Finland) it should be around 07 in the morning.

Hi Timba, some posts before, somebody said that they usually release the games in daytime (USA Time), so i guess i'll take a little longer :-/
  • edited July 2009
    the release is normally somewhere between 9 and 12 in the morning USA Pacific Time
    So we will have to wait till the evening
  • edited July 2009
    It's confirmed that the game it will not be release on GMT? I was waiting in front of the PC like an idiot! yarrr

gonna sleep then, I wake up in 6 hours to go to work. :/
  • edited July 2009
    TuEresTu wrote: »
    It's confirmed that the game it will not be release on GMT? I was waiting in front of the PC like an idiot! yarrr
    A US company timing their releases according to GMT? That's highly unlikely in the first place... :)

np: Evil Nine - Feed On You (They Live!)
  • edited July 2009
    Wow. I just read this entire thread after pre-ordering the game. I've got a couple of questions that I'm fairly sure haven't been covered.

1) What programming language do you guys use? You also mentioned somewhere earlier that you use some custom stuff. (sorry I can't be more specific, this is a long thread!) I'm a British Computer Games Development student at University, but I've little experience of how a company actually uses the tools and skills I've been using. Sorry if that question's a little vague!

2) I read the worldofmi.com interview with Ron Gilbert (mentioned earlier in this thread). It came across that he was kinda grumpy that people had gone and continued the series in a way that he hadn't planned. But then you guys got in contact with him about this project. Is that grumpy face just a show or is he actually annoyed that the series has turned out differently. If he is, does that frustrate you?

3) I gather that this forum will stay open until at least the end of the series. I'm guessing you'll have threads where we can respond and ask questions about each episode as they come out. Are we allowed to suggest changes and new ideas, or does that come across as arrogant? (since you guys are the professionals)

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions after the launch tomorrow! Can't wait!
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    I can at least answer that first one. We use LUA for the game scripting and C++ for the back-end coding and tool building. We actually use a *lot* of proprietary tools. With the way we develop games over such a short period, we needed the tools to be custom build to match our production schedule. We've tried to design as much of the system in such a way that anyone in the company, regardless of background or training, can pick up the tools and be competent within a few days.
  • edited July 2009
    Thanks for the quick reply! Sounds like a nice system.
    I've only just finished my first year at uni, so at the risk of revealing that I actually know very little, I might make a few more comments.

Back in the day when they were making the first Monkey Island game they were using SCUMM, which is presumably a proprietary tool. Someone (I think it was Ron) mentioned that they upgraded the SCUMM system to recognised more fonts so they could do the upside-down text after the circus-cannon puzzle. Is it right to assume that you often upgrade and improve your system? Is it a risk in using a custom system that you might not innovate as much with the technology?
  • edited July 2009
    Its a full moon on the 7th...hmmmm. Will look for a moon in the game.

I got no major questions they had to been all asked before. I will ask this. Is this fallowing closer to the original story that the creator of Monkey Island 1 and 2? Or is this you guys making your own story for it? I read that you talked to the creator of Monkey Island but I'm wondering who's story this is.
  • edited July 2009
    So, can you release this game at midnight please? I'm shipping out with the Navy and time is . . . very limited right now! HURRY!
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    djchallis wrote: »
    Is it right to assume that you often upgrade and improve your system? Is it a risk in using a custom system that you might not innovate as much with the technology?

We are *constantly* updating the system. I think with custom tools, you actually end up innovating more because you know the inner working of your tools so well. It's easy to walk up to one of the programmers and say "would this be possible to do." And if it isn't possible, they can usually suggest some reasonable work-around.
  • edited July 2009
    Will Guybrush still wreck peoples lives to solve a pointless puzzle?
  • edited July 2009
    Will Guybrush still wreck peoples lives to solve a pointless puzzle?
    One can only hope... and if not, just wait till the release of SMI:SE and go about wrecklessly drowning your crew members... over... and over again :D
  • edited July 2009
    I have a question.

Today is the 7th. It's 8AM.

WHERE IS MONKEY ISLAND?!?
  • edited July 2009
    Fury, it's still the 6th for a lot of people. That's how it's going to be when a game is to be released at the same time for the whole world. Come on, a cpl of hours won't make a difference ;)
  • edited July 2009
    Mr Grossman!

Would you be so kind as to put to bed the rumours surrounding the ending of Monkey Island 2. I know you worked on it, and Bill Tiller has spoken about it, so I thought you could possibly lay it to rest?

*spoiler alert for anyone who hasn't played the original MI games*

The rumour goes like this: There was always the idea that the ending of Monkey Island 1 would be that it was all just a Calvin & Hobbes style dream. That ending was never put in place, obviously, but parts of it were used for the ending of MI2... In the very end, though, two things were added to bring it back to the world of MI and keep the door open for any sequels: "Chuckie's" glowing malevolent eyes, and Elaine back on Dinky Island wondering where Guybrush was, pondering if LeChuck might have put a SPELL on Guybrush.

This, of course, means the poor old Guybrush did indeed have a spell put on him, but was there ever a moment when you thought about leaving the ending as was... Just in the amusement park?

Is this all true? Thanks so much for your reply!
  • edited July 2009
    Good luck with the final haul guys! What're you going to do tomorrow once the game is out?
  • edited July 2009
    Sammichy wrote: »
    Good luck with the final haul guys! What're you going to do tomorrow once the game is out?

Probably working on the second!
  • edited July 2009
    Mr Grossman!

Would you be so kind as to put to bed the rumours surrounding the ending of Monkey Island 2. I know you worked on it, and Bill Tiller has spoken about it, so I thought you could possibly lay it to rest?

*spoiler alert for anyone who hasn't played the original MI games*

The rumour goes like this: There was always the idea that the ending of Monkey Island 1 would be that it was all just a Calvin & Hobbes style dream. That ending was never put in place, obviously, but parts of it were used for the ending of MI2... In the very end, though, two things were added to bring it back to the world of MI and keep the door open for any sequels: "Chuckie's" glowing malevolent eyes, and Elaine back on Dinky Island wondering where Guybrush was, pondering if LeChuck might have put a SPELL on Guybrush.

This, of course, means the poor old Guybrush did indeed have a spell put on him, but was there ever a moment when you thought about leaving the ending as was... Just in the amusement park?

Is this all true? Thanks so much for your reply!

Ah, i have read some of the creators inverviews and posts saying that he [not 100% sure if this is right] no longer had control over the Monkey Island story line. He said [again not 100% sure more like 75%] that the true ending has YET to been shown. This is what i have learn...is it right? don't know...so yes I ask the same question as he did!
  • edited July 2009
    Monkey Island 2 had a horrible ending. Seriously, it made MI2 the weakest in the series (until Mi4 came out).

I think 3 did it's best to salvage a plot from that ending, and most people will agree 3 was the best.
  • edited July 2009
    That's kinda similar to one of my questions a page or two back.
    It's all about whether we accept Ron Gilbert's word as a canon or the canon of the subsequent games. If Ron's as stingy about this subject as he (occasionally) sounds, I can imagine this constant debate over the "correct" MI canon to be frustrating for the script-writers for Tales.
    On the other hand, Ron sounds like a nice guy. Maybe I'm making a fuss where there isn't one. Somebody'll answer my question and let me know...
  • edited July 2009
    Will wrote: »
    We are *constantly* updating the system. I think with custom tools, you actually end up innovating more because you know the inner working of your tools so well. It's easy to walk up to one of the programmers and say "would this be possible to do." And if it isn't possible, they can usually suggest some reasonable work-around.

Thanks for the reply again! That sounds good.
    I guess my thoughts were from a design point-of-view. I wonder if you guys might design some bits in a certain way just because that's the way it's always done in your games and with your system. Or are you guys too creative for that?

I'm not really sure if that question's getting outside your job description, Will (I'm not really sure what your job is really). Are those kind of design decisions made by other people? I guess "code monkey" is the phrase. If that is your job, you could answer another question for me: How much creativity do you get within your particular job? I always imagine the designer making all the creative decisions. Is that true and does it frustrate you, or are there loads of things you get to be creative with?

Hopefully part of those two paragraphs made sense/was aimed at you!
  • edited July 2009
    Nojh wrote: »
    I've liked every Monkey Island game that has come out although LeChuck's Revenge still holds the title rank, likely because it was the first I played.

Nojh

Ya I agree with that... Lechuck's Revenge was my Empire Strikes Back for tha series. And Escape from Monkey Island was a Phantom Menace. Ya feel me? Heh.
  • edited July 2009
    Oh i would like to thank the business people who thought "Hey lets give a free game" to people deal was a good idea.

Also i hate to say it but i like the voice games better because thats how my brain works. Its hard for me to remember alot of text. But i enjoy the games and can't wait for the Monkey Island 1 [goodness these have long confusing which is the first game names if you think about it] remake to come out.
  • edited July 2009
    Fury wrote: »
    Monkey Island 2 had a horrible ending. Seriously, it made MI2 the weakest in the series (until Mi4 came out).

I think 3 did it's best to salvage a plot from that ending, and most people will agree 3 was the best.

I didn't really think it was a terrible ending. It was humorous and it was on par with MI 3
  • edited July 2009
    Long time fan, first time caller.

I am litteraly aching to play more Monkey Island, but get this game out on the Xbox 360 as well. I mean... Wii Ware... who cares? There are not many old school adventure gamers there. Albeit, they mostly tend to play PC, but if they have a console - it's a 360.

Please, I want to enjoy Monkey Island in the comfort of my livingroom in 5.1 surround.

Thx, team :)
  • edited July 2009
    Alucard wrote: »
    I didn't really think it was a terrible ending. It was humorous and it was on par with MI 3

It was a ending that could end it...BUT could continue the game.
  • edited July 2009
    MI2 is my favourite ending. It messed with my 10 year old mind in pleasant ways.
  • edited July 2009
    Ravn wrote: »
    Long time fan, first time caller.

I am litteraly aching to play more Monkey Island, but get this game out on the Xbox 360 as well. I mean... Wii Ware... who cares? There are not many old school adventure gamers there. Albeit, they mostly tend to play PC, but if they have a console - it's a 360.

Please, I want to enjoy Monkey Island in the comfort of my livingroom in 5.1 surround.

Thx, team :)

please... who wants a 360? Playstation 3 ftw ^^ ... i know more old school gamer who prefer the PS3... but i wouldn't mind a release for both XBL and PSN... that would be awesome ^^ ... although, i already preordered them for the PC ... and i assume you've done the very same. so what's the point? ^^
  • edited July 2009
    *cries*
    i keep refreshing the page to no avail...
    this is worse than the pain of solving a MI2 killer puzzle.
  • edited July 2009
    xbox 360 is for blockhead jocks and frat boys.
    While I'm not entirely impressed with what I've seen on the Wii and PS3 so far, my two favourite game systems of this "generation" are the DS and PSP
  • edited July 2009
    Hehe me too. And ill stay up all night if i have to!

Taste cold mouse curser feable internet explorar refresh button!
  • edited July 2009
    Nice to know that I'm not the only one sitting in a "refreshbutton frenzy" waiting for the download button to show itself :)
This discussion has been closed.