Monkey Island MMORPG

Am i the only one that has had some secret thoughts about how this could ever come to fruition? I have sat there for last few years thinking.. ok many islands, huge world, many characters, but how could they do it?

The conclusion is that there is not enough lore. This MMORPG genre is something for the future and we're just on tip of the iceberg with WOW etc, but stranger things have happened.

Can't imagine a raid or picking a side though.

So the answer is no, this cannot happen.

It's just me right?

Comments

• edited July 2009
    I have nightmares of anything becoming a MMO... ;)
  • edited July 2009
    Eduardo wrote: »

hehe you are not wrong..
  • edited July 2009
    I think it would be completely wrong for a MI game.

But a Pirate MMORPG with the same tone, style, and humor as MI I would look into.
  • edited July 2009
    Yeah, just imagine this... you connect to the server, enter Melee Island, the main location, and see all these players with interesting names:
    Guy.brush, Guhbrush, Ghai-brush, Guuybrush, 6uy8ru5h, Thorpweed, Geekwood, MightyPirate23, LeChuck492 etc etc.

Nope, doesn't sound good to me. :D
  • edited July 2009
    Pirates of the Caribbean MMORPG...could work.

But I say NO to MI MMORPG or MIMMORG :p
  • edited July 2009
    Ummm...there IS a PotC MMORPG :) It kinda sucks.
  • edited July 2009
    Yeah, just imagine this... you connect to the server, enter Melee Island, the main location, and see all these players with interesting names:
    Guy.brush, Guhbrush, Ghai-brush, Guuybrush, 6uy8ru5h, Thorpweed, Geekwood, MightyPirate23, LeChuck492 etc etc.

Yep. But you don't need to play MMORPG Monkey island to see them. Just look around this forum. :D
  • edited July 2009
    pfft yeah unoriginal...

I would pick Mancomb seepgood :cool: kidding
  • edited July 2009

Actually, there is one right now...

(http://piratesonline.go.com/)
  • edited July 2009

Haha so true! LMAO
  • edited July 2009

But I say NO to MI MMORPG or MIMMORG :p
    An MMO based on Pirates of the Caribbean? Unlikely!
  • edited July 2009
    - ¡Madre de Dios! ¡Es un MMORPG de Monkey Island!
    - ¡Sí, he pervertido muchas franquicias de videojuegos y ahora vengo por ti!

- Oh my God! It's a Monkey Island MMORPG!
    - Yes! I've corrupted many other videogame franchises and now I've come for you!
  • edited July 2009
    I can just imagine the insult sword fighting that would arise.....

Lol! J00r f14ncee 100ks l13k a p1g!!!111

I can't see that ending well. Besides, I need another monthly fee like I need another hole in my head.
  • edited July 2009
    thanatos56 wrote: »
    I can just imagine the insult sword fighting that would arise.....

Lol! J00r f14ncee 100ks l13k a p1g!!!111

I can't see that ending well. Besides, I need another monthly fee like I need another hole in my head.

Hilarious! Nice post.
  • edited July 2009
    Ummm...there IS a PotC MMORPG :) It kinda sucks.

Ravey wrote: »

Hmmmmm......

Well I look stupid :p
  • edited July 2009
    The only pirate MMO is puzzle pirates.
  • edited July 2009

me too.
  • edited July 2009
    I have never played a MMORPG that dosn't suck, so hypotetical MI-MMORPG would mean the end for the game series. also the target audience for a MMORPG and that for an adventure games is too different.
  • edited July 2009
    That would not work out..... I think the world would esplode O.O
  • edited July 2009
    Not that the setting wouldn't be amazing, but it's the wrong genre for an MMORPG.

Either you'd completely ruin the series and make it an action game, or you'd do something like Uru (Myst Online) and no one would buy it.
  • edited July 2009
    I hope the day will never come.
  • edited July 2009
    The problem with the term MMOG by now is that people immediately think WORLD OF WARCRAFT, beating the crap out of mobs, leveling up, wash, rinse, repeat. Whereas MMOG is shorthand for Massive Multiplayer Online Game. Meaning that there's a bucketload of players playing a game online.. at any point. Fair enough, the thread title says MMORPG, but even then..

I think it could work. It'd obviously something completely different from the rest of the Monkey Island pack. But it could work. Imagine moderated insult contests being held at the Scumm Bar and dozens upon dozens pirates showing up to compete. Or a treasure hunt going on on Scabb and all your pals and you teaming up to go find the clues, competing against other teams. Or what about a costume festival to be held over at the governor's mansion - free grog a plenty, and a public vote gets to determine who wins. Getting to sail a piratey ship with a dozen of other scumm o' the seas, seizing other ships, raiding fortresses and defending those against other teams... There sure is enough humor and piratey stuff to allow for all kinds of multiplayer mechanics like that. MMOG means just that, there's no need to paste&copy the same mechanics that a dozen games have copied before. Raids, mobs, factions, bore.

Well that and adventure games for the win of course.
  • edited July 2009

Heh~! Sounds exactly like this forum. We'll be right at home!
  • edited July 2009
    Needs more LucasArts Adventurer Kombat - a fighter Super Smash Brothers style with special unlockable characters like King Graham, GLADos and Ron Gilbert.
  • edited July 2009
    Ron Gilbert had a post many moons ago on Grumpy Gamer that he was on WoW. Horde side and had a guild where you HAD to have a MI-related name in order to join. I don't remember what server.
  • edited July 2009

To add more info, theres also another MMORPG game that is free...

Its Tales of Pirates. Its a point and click MMORPG game. I tried it a short time but didnt clicked to well for me.
  • edited July 2009
    To add more info, theres also another MMORPG game that is free...

Its Tales of Pirates. Its a point and click MMORPG game. I tried it a short time but didnt clicked to well for me.

Oh god...
    I hate mangas :(
    Obviously it's due to purely subjective tastes and all, but this must be one of the ugliest things i've ever seen.
    Guess i should be thankfull for this, tho, at least it means i won't try it and risk losing what little social life i have :p
  • edited July 2009
    I don't think that there is such a big fanbase...at least not now. Let's see how it develops in the next years (with the launch of Tales and SMI:SE). Who knows? Maybe WE will change our opinions about this soon enough.
    It would actually be cool to do something similar to PotC. In PotC you have to help Jack Sparrow defeat Davey Jones. Maybe in Monkey Island MMORPG you could help Guybrush defeat LeChuck's minions, with a full LeChuck boss fight. And LeChuck could come back (add-ons) in a different for everytime.
    naaaaah
  • edited July 2009
    Wow, I read this thread's title and a sudden wave of revulsion washed over my body... It felt... odd.
  • edited July 2009
    This is one of the only frachises that I could see successfully translating into an MMORPG. I hate MMORPGs, and for this to work I honestly think the RPG would have to be stripped away from it. There would be no need for monsters to fight either. Although the odd monster guarding a large stash of booty would fit quite well.

In order to defeat one of these guardians you would need to collect items and use them in a Monkey Island-esque puzzle to defeat the enemy. For example, a Kraken is guarding a sunken ship filled to the brim with ill-gotten spoils. You and your crew must combine your efforts, collection of random assortments, and puzzle solving skills to manipulate the environment in such a way as to incapacitate the monster.

These scenarios would have to be randomly generated. NPC shopkeepers scattered throughout the world (some in the most unlikely of places) would sell treasure maps, fashion items, and oddities.

PvP battles would be 1 on 1 or in teams, with a third party presiding as judge. The combatants would take turns to exchange insults (typed or spoken by the player on the spot) and whomever was judged to have delivered the most caustic of insults, or the most disarming reply would take the spoils/win the battle.

Players could also bury/hide/sink their own treasure, and set up a puzzle designed by themselves with a simple tool kit. This treasure would vary from peices of 8 to seemingly usless trinkets, to fashion accessories. Users could then sell the maps in their own shop, or even bury a map, and sell a map to a map to the treasure they buried. Prices would be generated based on the value of the item buried at the end of the chain. Selling the same map to multiple users would force them to have to race against each other to get to your treasure first. A counter would appear next to each map detailing how many users currently owned the map, and for how long they had owned it.

Every week there could be a fashion contest where the user adjudged to be the most swashbuckling would earn a special treasure map leading to only the rarest of treasures.

Aside from the aforementioned ways to find treasure, there would also be a weekly event that all the players would have to compete with each other in a race to find first. There would be no maps, merely hints scattered throughout the many (and often seedy) bars of the caribbean.
  • edited July 2009
    nofacej wrote: »

BUMP! :mad:
  • edited May 2012

Guilty :D
    nofacej wrote: »
    This is one of the only frachises that I could see successfully translating into an MMORPG. I hate MMORPGs, and for this to work I honestly think the RPG would have to be stripped away from it. There would be no need for monsters to fight either. Although the odd monster guarding a large stash of booty would fit quite well.
    [A lot of really GREAT ideas by noface]
    Aside from the aforementioned ways to find treasure, there would also be a weekly event that all the players would have to compete with each other in a race to find first. There would be no maps, merely hints scattered throughout the many (and often seedy) bars of the caribbean.
    I would SO love to play such a game!!!!

Imagine taking part in a goofy lechuck bossfight :D

I think it's possible, I mean look what EUO did to "Ultima 4/5", it's simply rad and the players are nice too :)

That would be essential in a MI MMORPG, to ensure there are no cheaters, hackers just a good society to have fun with. EUO started as a fan project and is free to play, you MAY donate by buying a house and some goodies but these ALL don't effect game play, they are just nice! I think this is the ONLY way an MMORPG for MI fans could go well - if you have a big company they have big motives and - except with guys ike tell tale - fans are not there first interest! We all don't want another WOW dressed up as a pirate game.

But a crossover between genres like say "Pirates of the Caribbean", "Pirates Gold" and "Monkey Island" would be working well I think. Throw in some satire about old pirates movies, the society at large, game insider jokes and you have tons and tons of stuff to create for the game, apart from borrowing from other games in form of satirizing them - it's allowed, too I think ;)

And I want Elaine Marleys's dog as a follower :D

So, yes I would be definitey glad if there was an mmorpg which was even A LITTLE BIT like Monkey Island.

But there seems to be none, zilch, nix :(
  • edited May 2012
    Buygrush wrote: »
    EUO started as a fan project and is free to play, you MAY donate by buying a house and some goodies but these ALL don't effect game play, they are just nice! I think this is the ONLY way an MMORPG for MI fans could go well - if you have a big company they have big motives and - except with guys ike tell tale - fans are not there first interest! We all don't want another WOW dressed up as a pirate game.
    By the way look at it and see for yourself how much love has gone into this project: http://euotopia.com/
    If a Monkey Island MMORPG could only be halfway like that, I'd pay for it (of course) :)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.