The Last Resort or Escape From Monkey Island

edited July 2009 in Wallace & Gromit
Ok.... I know this is the Wallace & Gromit thread, but lets be impartial. I have been waiting for the Last Resort since the day that Fright of the Bumblebees came out on the XBLA. Thing is that it is taking its own sweet time in showing up on the marketplace. I only have 1551 points & now that Secret of Monkey Isle (sorry... I messed up the title of this thread) is released, I posed with a rather difficult choice. Should I get it or wait for TLR? Any suggestions?

Comments

• edited July 2009
    Ok.... I know this is the Wallace & Gromit thread, but lets be impartial. I have been waiting for the Last Resort since the day that Fright of the Bumblebees came out on the XBLA. Thing is that it is taking its own sweet time in showing up on the marketplace. I only have 1551 points & now that EFMI is released, I posed with a rather difficult choice. Should I get it or wait for TLR? Any suggestions?

Do you mean Tales of Monkey Island? If so, I personally loved Tales a lot more than The Last Resort, but The Last Resort is still good.

If it were up to me, I'd pick TMI.
  • edited July 2009
    Pale Man wrote: »
    Do you mean Tales of Monkey Island? If so, I personally loved Tales a lot more than The Last Resort, but The Last Resort is still good.

If it were up to me, I'd pick TMI.

You beat me too it... I corrected myself sadly a second too late (yet we are still talking about two different games). I have never played a Monkey Island game before, but I played the demo & it didn't seem anywhere near as funny as people make it out to be (although I don't find W&G to be all that funny either, but I still like it), but at least it seemed remotely interesting.

How long is the full game?
  • edited July 2009
    How long is the full game?

If you mean individual episodes, then between 3 and 4 hours each, like the rest of the Telltale games.
    The whole season? I couldn't possibly know, but 20 hours or so seems like a good estimation.
  • edited July 2009
    Megaloman wrote: »
    If you mean individual episodes, then between 3 and 4 hours each, like the rest of the Telltale games.
    The whole season? I couldn't possibly know, but 20 hours or so seems like a good estimation.

What are you talking about? I'm talking about the XBLA game the Secret of Monkey Island. Why would I ask about a game that isn't even released for the 360 when talking about microsoft points? No disrespect intended.
  • edited July 2009
    Just to clear the smoke and mirrors, nobody seems to have a clue that you are referring to The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition that just released today. I've played the original SoMI (and plan on getting the special edition), as well as the last resort on PC. To choose between them is a very difficult call, as I really can't say I like one more than the other. They are both gems in their own way, and if possible I'd say save up and get both. I know that doesn't help you choose, but it's the best I can do.
  • edited July 2009
    What are you talking about? I'm talking about the XBLA game the Secret of Monkey Island. Why would I ask about a game that isn't even released for the 360 when talking about microsoft points? No disrespect intended.

Ah, if you're talking about Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition, I can also highly recommend that game. Secret of Monkey Island is one of my all-time favorite adventure games, not just for the humor, but the puzzles are also brilliantly designed.

I would also choose Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition over The Last Resort, if I had to choose. :)
  • edited July 2009
    They are both great games... it's a shame you can't just buy 100 Microsoft points. Dang point setup scheme.

But wow. Tough decision. I say get monkey Island and then just buy more points when Last Resort comes out. (But who knows when that's going to be?)
  • edited July 2009

Whoops, I just assumed that you meant Tales. Since SoMI is packed with things to discover and solve I don't really know how long it'll be. I remember that it was one of the longer Lucasarts games I played back in the 90's.
  • edited July 2009
    The last resort is great but NOTHIN beats SoMI
  • edited July 2009
    Why not just spend the extra £5/$5 and get both, I know there's a credit crunch on but surely things cannot be that bad.
  • edited July 2009
    saltski wrote: »
    Why not just spend the extra £5/$5 and get both, I know there's a credit crunch on but surely things cannot be that bad.

1. If I had $5 I would.

2. I really don't want to give out my information on the marketplace... can you say stolen identity?

3. They don't even sell 400 point cards ($5)

4. I think it is total bs that I can't just buy a dollar's worth of points (80) online... dirty bastards have got us wrapped right around there money grubbing finger.

5. Thanks everyone for helping me choose
  • edited July 2009
    assuming you're really talking about "the secret of monkey island special edition"...you should get that. it's a full game and not just an episode like "the last resort" and should probably keep you busy for a few days. one episode of wallace and gromit can be solved in a few hours.
  • edited July 2009
    Last Resort has great music and was my favourite Wallace and Gromit. If you haven't played Monkey Island 1, get the special edition, but if you have finished MI1, get wallace.
  • edited July 2009
    I appreciate your effort to help me choose, but I purchased SOMI about 10 minutes after my last post. Thanks anyway.
  • edited July 2009
    I appreciate your effort to help me choose, but I purchased SOMI about 10 minutes after my last post. Thanks anyway.

Good choice. Do you like it so far?
  • edited July 2009
    Good choice. Do you like it so far?

I beat it.... it was a really good game considering how short it was (4 hours)
  • edited July 2009
    I beat it.... it was a really good game considering how short it was (4 hours)

Wow. I don't remember it being that short. Maybe I took my sweet time beating it back then..!
  • edited July 2009
    Wow. I don't remember it being that short. Maybe I took my sweet time beating it back then..!

I remember it took me and my cousins weeks to solve that game, of course we didn't have hints or walkthroughs or any of that, and it was our first adventure game really, and we were also like 8-10 years old :D
  • edited July 2009
    Pale Man wrote: »
    I remember it took me and my cousins weeks to solve that game, of course we didn't have hints or walkthroughs or any of that, and it was our first adventure game really, and we were also like 8-10 years old :D

Yeah, well, me too. I had only played some of the first King's Quest games before that (that's how I learned my first english btw). But four hours still seems like rushing through the game at the first playthrough. Haven't played the game for ages, though.
  • edited July 2009
    Hint button does wonders I suppose.
  • edited July 2009
    Sorry to have to burst all your W&G bubbles, but I've played all the W&G episodes out so far, and they are... not good. They are too short and too easy. The only good thing i could find was the fact that they went to the trouble of putting 'fingerprints' in the 'clay'. The entire Monkey Island series (including the first tale), on the other hand, are extremely good. They are so good that I have played every single game more times than I can count, more times than I have played the Sam and Max games (including the original), which are also better than W&G. I mean, come on , even Bone and Strong Bad are better than B*%$(Y W&G. Seeing as every single adventure game out there seems to be better than W&G i would have to say that your money is better spent on Monkey Island (or anything else for that matter).

Please don't shoot me, it's just my opinion, well educated and thoroughly biased
  • edited July 2009
    Well, that's your opinion, I think they are GREAT games, with wonderful music and british humour. Of course they're a bit short and FAR TOO EASY, but the feeling that I have playing them is like living in one of the Shorts/Movie. If you like the original characters and the world of W&G, the games are brilliant.

PD: Awesome vocal performings, too.
  • edited July 2009
    Sorry to have to burst all your W&G bubbles,

Ummmmm... What do you expect here? That all us people who love the W&G games read your post, then suddenly realize we've been wrong all along? :rolleyes:
  • edited July 2009
    Yeah lol. The Wallace and Gromit games are a bit easy, but my younger brother loves them. It should only take you about 5 seconds to realize that they are aimed at a younger audience than MI lol.

I'm guessing the guy who made this post used a walkthrough/hint button, as no-one gets all the puzzles in 4 hours in secret. Unless he's talking about tales and got confused.
  • edited July 2009
    I found Fright of the Bumblebees to be uninteresting and tedious, but the ending sequence was really cool. I'm looking forward to Muzzled.
  • edited July 2009
    PariahKing wrote: »
    I found Fright of the Bumblebees to be uninteresting and tedious, but the ending sequence was really cool. I'm looking forward to Muzzled.

I'm partway through Muzzled at the moment, so far I've really liked it.
  • edited July 2009
    Fury wrote: »
    Yeah lol. The Wallace and Gromit games are a bit easy, but my younger brother loves them. It should only take you about 5 seconds to realize that they are aimed at a younger audience than MI lol.

I'm guessing the guy who made this post used a walkthrough/hint button, as no-one gets all the puzzles in 4 hours in secret. Unless he's talking about tales and got confused.

i could easily see anyone finishing the "secret of monkey island" in less than 5 hours so it is possible. there is also an acheivement if you beat the game in less than 3 hours.:eek:
  • edited July 2009

I took my good sweet time too (I took the time to learn all of the insults, exhausted every bit of dialogue, found all of the notes on monkey island.... hell, I got all of the achievements but the one for completing the game in less than 3 hours).

Hint button does wonders I suppose.
    I'm guessing the guy who made this post used a walkthrough/hint button, as no-one gets all the puzzles in 4 hours in secret.

I didn't use a guide or the in game hints (I have the achievement to prove it).... it was just abnormally easy for me. Apparently those of you who are saying that I couldn't have beat it without the hint button must either not played the game in about 15 years or just REALLY suck at these kind of games. Just go play GTA or something....

Sorry to have to burst all your W&G bubbles, but I've played all the W&G episodes out so far, and they are... not good. They are too short and too easy. The only good thing i could find was the fact that they went to the trouble of putting 'fingerprints' in the 'clay'. The entire Monkey Island series (including the first tale), on the other hand, are extremely good. They are so good that I have played every single game more times than I can count, more times than I have played the Sam and Max games (including the original), which are also better than W&G. I mean, come on , even Bone and Strong Bad are better than B*%$(Y W&G. Seeing as every single adventure game out there seems to be better than W&G i would have to say that your money is better spent on Monkey Island (or anything else for that matter).

Please don't shoot me, it's just my opinion, well educated and thoroughly biased

Yes... everybody has an opinion... & mine is that yours sucks. I really enjoyed Fright of the Bumblebees... I felt a few small parts about the story were annoying, but overall I felt that it didn't really take away from the game. Not to mention that they definitely improved on the story in the other two. If you enjoy Monkey Island & think that Wallace & Gromit sucks... well good for you, but just because a game doesn't have over the top humor doesn't mean that it sucks... to be honest that is what I like about the Wallace & Gromit games. They just have a certain charm about them... & I love it. (Man.... I'm starting to wish that Telltale hadn't made Tales.... Now the forums are crowded with people who think that the only adventure game in the world is Monkey Island.... it is getting very annoying to say the very least).
  • edited July 2009
    Oh, you played SOMI before.

Duh, everyone who has played it before beats it in 4 hours.

By getting it in 4 hours, I assummed it was your first play through. That was why I thought you had cheated.

First play through normally takes awhile longer though.
  • edited July 2009
    Oh, you played SOMI before.

Duh, everyone who has played it before beats it in 4 hours.

By getting it in 4 hours, I assummed it was your first play through. That was why I thought you had cheated.

First play through normally takes awhile longer though.

I never played it until I downloaded it on the XBLA, so yeah... it was my first playthrough & I didn't cheat... I'm taking it that the majority of you who are saying that it can't be beat on the first playthrough without cheating must have beat the game for the first time when you were 10 or below when they first played it... am I wrong? I mean this game is SERIOUSLY easy.
  • edited July 2009
    I was 13 at the time when I beat SOMI, and it took me about a week, I don't remember the playtime but I spent a lot of time on it. I never managed to complete MI2 without a walkthrough, but to be fair I got stuck on that stupid use the monkey on the waterfall generator puzzle.

But people who beat this game when it first came out were like 20 at the time, and I imagine that is true for the majority of the forum members. And it took them longer than 4 hours.
  • edited July 2009
    Robert wrote:
    I didn't use a guide or the in game hints (I have the achievement to prove it).... it was just abnormally easy for me. Apparently those of you who are saying that I couldn't have beat it without the hint button must either not played the game in about 15 years or just REALLY suck at these kind of games. Just go play GTA or something....
    Do you have a compulsion to be excessively abrasive or something? It took me longer than four hours to replay the game knowing all the puzzles while exhausting just most of the game than four hours. A first play through in four hours? I don't believe it and I certainly do not "suck" at these games to the point where I should just play GTA.

But insulting the people who help you out with the questions you ask is a nice touch.
  • edited July 2009
    Do you have a compulsion to be excessively abrasive or something? It took me longer than four hours to replay the game knowing all the puzzles while exhausting just most of the game than four hours. A first play through in four hours? I don't believe it and I certainly do not "suck" at these games to the point where I should just play GTA.

But insulting the people who help you out with the questions you ask is a nice touch.

Calling me a liar & cheater isn't really helping me out very much now is it?
  • edited July 2009
    Calling me a liar & cheater isn't really helping me out very much now is it?
    I think you spent probably more time then you thought playing. Cheating in a game isn't the same thing as cheating on a test. I wouldn't even call it "cheating."
  • edited July 2009
    I think you spent probably more time then you thought playing. Cheating in a game isn't the same thing as cheating on a test. I wouldn't even call it "cheating."

It shows your overall game time when you save. It was approximately 4:03:37 when I saved at the final scene with Elaine & Guybrush
  • edited July 2009
    It shows your overall game time when you save. It was approximately 4:03:37 when I saved at the final scene with Elaine & Guybrush
    Well, it isn't a competition or anything nor does it matter in the scope of things. Just color me awfully surprised is all since most people spend much more time on it.
  • edited July 2009
    Well, it isn't a competition or anything nor does it matter in the scope of things. Just color me awfully surprised is all since most people spend much more time on it.

I'm not trying to turn it into a competion... all I'm saying is that it was a bit shorter than I expected.... It seems that everytime I voice my opinion on these damn forums anymore, people are jumping down my throat. So let me clear this up. I am not saying that I am more talented than any of you, I appreciate the recommendation, because even though it was relatively short I still thought it was a great game. The GTA comment was more of a joke than anything & I don't like being called a liar & cheater unless of course I...well... am lying & cheating, which I'm not.
  • edited July 2009
    I'm not trying to turn it into a competion... all I'm saying is that it was a bit shorter than I expected.... It seems that everytime I voice my opinion on these damn forums anymore, people are jumping down my throat. So let me clear this up. I am not saying that I am more talented than any of you, I appreciate the recommendation, because even though it was relatively short I still thought it was a great game. The GTA comment was more of a joke than anything & I don't like being called a liar & cheater unless of course I...well... am lying & cheating, which I'm not.
    I feel we got off on the wrong foot. I apologize for my hostility in this and the other thread.
  • edited July 2009
    I feel we got off on the wrong foot. I apologize for my hostility in this and the other thread.

Its okay... it was partially my fault I suppose
  • edited July 2009
    Its okay... it was partially my fault I suppose

It was all your fault! Because you cheated! Clearly!
This discussion has been closed.