Can we please get an option to increase the timer?

First off, I am a pretty decent reader, and have decent twitch reflexes.

However, I do find that in TFTB, the timer is kinda short. Even disregarding the mouse issues, it still feels too tight. I had a similar experiences (though not nearly as bad) in TWDS2 and TWAU, though I recall TWD S1 being much more forgiving in this respect.

One of the reasons for this in TFTB is the UI. It just doesn't seem as reader-friendly as previous games, if you get what I mean. The fonts, the colours, the design...they all matter I believe. It takes my eyes a short time to just adjust to the info that is suddenly presented on screen.

It is also important to note that there are some fast readers, but also some slow readers and those who don't speak/read English natively. Same for reaction times...some are faster, some slower.

As such, I believe, TellTale should give us an option to slightly lengthen the timer to make choices (not all of them, but those dialogue ones especially). Of what use is there for there being 4 choices, when you only have read through 2 and have to make an abrupt decision (and by extension, choose a choice that you may not otherwise have chosen if you had read all 4)?

On a technical level, I am not sure how easy or difficult this is to implement, but I am just throwing this out there in the hopes that TellTale may consider this in future episodes or games if there is enough of a voice for it from the community.

Comments

• Why not? :p

No.

• The point is for quick choices, the timer hasn't changed but it feels like it because of the interface. They could make certain choices longer and they do that but I don't think there should be an option just to increase the timer fro all of them. It would get rid of the point, most people are having problems with it because of some mouse issues.

Green613 posted: »

Why not?

• I don't think he's talking about major choices, he's talking about the regular dialogue choices that happen during conversations. I don't see the point in those being fast paced choices if they hold little to no consequence anyway. Having an option to increase the timer won't affect anyone negatively, if you don't like it, keep it off, however people that can't read the choices as quickly should have the option to turn it on. I say Telltale should at least give the option or just add more time to the timers as a whole anyway, they seem very short in this game which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just a nitpick.

The point is for quick choices, the timer hasn't changed but it feels like it because of the interface. They could make certain choices long

• I know what he's talking about and like I said you are suppose to make choices fast. The timer speed hasn't changed and adding an option just to keep it their longer would be useless, people should just find one the like quickly and pick it, like you said they usually hold no consequence. You don't need to think out every situation like people who are complaining about this are probably doing. Telltale should do what they want, they haven't changed and new people usually used to games without these timers feel like they go by fast but they don't.

I don't think he's talking about major choices, he's talking about the regular dialogue choices that happen during conversations. I don't se

• They cant because the option goes away for the next scene to play for the next option. Making it longer would make the game have to stop and would just make it weird

• you are suppose to make choices fast

Who ever said that though? When has Telltale ever stated officially that choices are supposed to be made fast? I don't see how that makes any sense.

Telltale should do what they want

To an extent yes they should, but some things need to changed, like little things that can be changed easily such as slower timers, key rebindings, and other little stuff that takes little to no effort to change. Like I said, just because you don't want it doesn't mean others don't.

I know what he's talking about and like I said you are suppose to make choices fast. The timer speed hasn't changed and adding an option jus

• Who ever said that though? When has Telltale ever stated officially that choices are supposed to be made fast? I don't see how that makes any sense.

They said that before The Walking Dead when they started on this type of gameplay.

some things need to changed, like little things that can be changed easily such as slower timers, key rebindings, and other little stuff that takes little to no effort to change

No, the timer is good and putting any effort into changing it is completely unnecessary. Key rebindings on the other hand I agree with should be changed.

you are suppose to make choices fast Who ever said that though? When has Telltale ever stated officially that choices are supposed t

• Well I personally think the timer goes way too fast right now, I don't see why giving people more options is a problem.

Who ever said that though? When has Telltale ever stated officially that choices are supposed to be made fast? I don't see how that makes an

• Like I've said it's no different.

Also like I keep telling you that it's completely unnecessary and would only cause more problems in the end than it would solve it. People just need to pick an option faster, it's not hard.

Well I personally think the timer goes way too fast right now, I don't see why giving people more options is a problem.

• No, I'm pretty sure they are different, TFTBL choices go quicker than TWD choices do. And cause what problems? All it takes is to extend the timer a few seconds, it's not a ground breaking change that's going to delay the episode a few weeks further.

Like I've said it's no different. Also like I keep telling you that it's completely unnecessary and would only cause more problems in the end than it would solve it. People just need to pick an option faster, it's not hard.

• Now you don't know that, Green this is unnecessary, people just need to pick an option faster, how hard is that?

No, I'm pretty sure they are different, TFTBL choices go quicker than TWD choices do. And cause what problems? All it takes is to extend the timer a few seconds, it's not a ground breaking change that's going to delay the episode a few weeks further.

• It's not a matter of picking an option faster when some people can't even read all of the options before the timer is up.

Now you don't know that, Green this is unnecessary, people just need to pick an option faster, how hard is that?

• Some people are slow readers but there are like 3 words per choice, they have enough time, their problem is a few mouse controls or over thinking it. People should look at the choices and pick the one that fits them best, no need to over think it.

It's not a matter of picking an option faster when some people can't even read all of the options before the timer is up.

• The OP said he couldn't read all of the choices, it's not a matter of mouse problems and over thinking options. Either way I'm done with this, I already told you the point for having an extended timer, no need for me to drag this on longer than it needs to be.

Some people are slow readers but there are like 3 words per choice, they have enough time, their problem is a few mouse controls or over thinking it. People should look at the choices and pick the one that fits them best, no need to over think it.

• What do you mean? They could just add 2 second delays or something for those who want it. I don't see any issues.

Poogers555 posted: »

They cant because the option goes away for the next scene to play for the next option. Making it longer would make the game have to stop and would just make it weird

• You can press space to pause and read. ;-)

• That breaks the immersion dude.

You can press space to pause and read. ;-)

• Just wanted to mention the possibility.
    Since I am no native English speaker I need a bit longer to understand the answers, sometimes but usually I get it.

bigbaadwolf posted: »

That breaks the immersion dude.

• I felt the same way. I'm the same as you (quick reflexes and fast reader) but I did feel like it was a bit shorter or maybe that was just me getting used to TT's quick responses again. Also I found myself having to get used to the font here (especially when we switched to Fiona's story because the font was different).

I don't think we should take away the timer AT ALL. I like the idea that you only get a select amount of time to respond but I did feel like in this game we had a little less time to decide than in other games. As fore mentioned, it could be that you're just getting used to the text and quick responses again (also the mouse might have some weird issues so that's a thing).

• edited October 2016

im a dutch borderlands fan, and have bought all borderlands content on release, and that is what i did with this game, but i just havent gotten through it yet because i have a pretty bad case of dylexia and because of that i just can't read all the options before the timer is up, this realy sucks since i end up being a dum mute all the time or have to watch a portion again.
    i played the first chapter like 3 times before i was kindof satisfied with my awnsers. and then just stopped cause its a pain to play it for me.
    i realy hope they put in something like a dyslectic mode or whatever so i can finaly consume this juicy bit of borderlands story.
    i like how the game looks and the idea behind it, but the timer just kills it for me!

Sign in to comment in this discussion.