The Maester, Duncan or Royland?

Comments

• Ludd*

E2Saint posted: »

This might sound crazy, but what if Gwyn is just trying to cause issues within your walls also? There might actually not be a traitor and sh

• Hey it worked for Tyrion.

SanQae posted: »

I will just not say something to each one of them and see what the Whitehills fail to know beforehand. I didn't tell Lady Forrester about my

• And it's really odd he didn't tell anything about it to Rodrik. Not telling Ethan, ok, he was a kid, but Rodrik is your bloody Lord, Duncan! And he wants gared to break his vows after the first Lord Forrester was honorable, and he himself told me to act honorably

ALIENANGIE posted: »

Now that's one of the reasons I do think it's him....a way to end the Forresters permanently if they lose it. Remember ... The North grove must never be lost.

• Lord Stoneheart

Gary-Oak posted: »

Ethan's corpse.

• Telltale might just read our speculation and make the traitor be whoever we suspect the least, these guys

• I don't think so. In order to make the plot follow it's curse, the main roles can't be determinant.

If it was, there'd be no difference between who the traitor is. If it's determinant, they'd have no real, depp reason to do it, save for some changes in dialogue lines.
    If they really want to give the traitor thing more weight on the plot, it must be scripted

What if the traitor is determinant? Perhaps whoever Ethan didn't pick as Sentinel is the one...

• The Maester. Duncan trusts Rodrik, Royland is very loyal, plus that Duncan wants Gared to find the North Grove. Then again, they have Lady Forresters son held hostage, and she might be giving information in hopes that they won't kill her son. But the Maester... He seems to calm, and off somehow.

• That's because Maesters are oathbound to serve the place, not the family ruling it. He doesn't give a shit about Forresters or Whitehills. He knows that whoever comes on top, he's keeping his job

RhysAndLee posted: »

The Maester. Duncan trusts Rodrik, Royland is very loyal, plus that Duncan wants Gared to find the North Grove. Then again, they have Lady F

• edited March 2015

I can't see Duncan being the traitor, with how much Lord Forrester trusted that guy. I'll trust his judgement.

Royland seems a bit too straightforward to be able to pull that off.

We don't really know the maester, which makes him a suspect. I've heard that maesters don't know loyalty,only survival.

And I always found it curious how Ludd Whitehill was strangely respectful towards Lady Forrester. I guess it means nothing, though.

Maybe she's working with the Whitehills because she thinks it will keep Ryon safe, or something. She seems to be losing it. I'm sure she's extremely paranoid about Ryon's safety. The Whitehills probably could get her to do some stuff if they approached her in secret, threatening her little boy.

Also, she's done plenty of things behind the Lord's back before. Sending Malcolm to Essos even if Ethan disallows it, sending Ravens and arranging meetings only telling the Lord after she's done it.

• Maesters are the only people who can send out ravens however and thats an easy way to keep Whitehill knowledgeable about whats going on. Honestly I dont think theres a traitor and if there is I feel like the reveal wont do much. But I would bet on the maester.

HiroVoid posted: »

Ironically, despite probably being set up to be the most suspicious, the maester's pretty much the only person it couldn't be I think. Rodr

• I have 2 playthroughs. One with Royland as my sentinel, and one with Duncan. Out of the 2 of them I'm almost certain its Duncan that will betray me. Firstly, he had Gregors trust. Automatically assuring the full trust of the next Lord. That being Ethan, young and inexperienced, he would be able to easily sway any decision.
    There isn't much I can specifically remember from ep 2 which may make me suspect him, but in this episode, his desire to find the North grove seemed a little suspicious to me. Not only that, but with the confrontation with Gryff, if Duncan is your sentinel, he tells you to stay down. Then when Talia has her outburst, he blames it on the passion of youth. To which Gryff replies, "You're a dog. But you're my dog."
    I think this is spot on, he let slip then and there that Duncan is his man. If Royland is your sentinel, he backs Talia up, and stands with Rodrik.
    I think putting Duncan in a position where you believe he's the only one to trust, because of the North grove, is a great way to set us up to fall when he betrays us. We trust him too, because he's Garreds uncle, and Garred is honourable, I think....so makes Duncan the same by association, Imo.

• Well ,actually Gryf's words made me concerned a bit ,but look at Duncan face when Gryf pushes him ,i also think that gryf feels like a boss.I doubt Duncan would betray Gared .Imo ,betraying Gared is betrayimg the Forresters.Look at Duncan at the funeral i doubt ,that he faked his face mimics every time.He gave Rodrik a dagger ,i think if he would be a traitor he wouldn't give ot to him.
    For me thre are 2 options:
    -Maester , most likely
    -the one who wasn't choosen as sentinel
    If Duncan betrays , idk who i can rely on (i mean ,he seems to be the smartest man in Ironrath).

I have 2 playthroughs. One with Royland as my sentinel, and one with Duncan. Out of the 2 of them I'm almost certain its Duncan that will be

• Maybe she thought they would fail.

It makes sense. She said herself she would/we should do anything to protect Ryon. Plus she is absolutely terrible at being level-headed, in fact she's worse than Royland, since he's, at least, consistent. She changes her mind about subduing and antagonising on a flip of a dime. When they are re-enacting Ryon's death she goes semi-crazy(understandably) but than urges Rodrick to keep calm. This could suggest that she's the "traitor" so she's trying to keep peace even though she can't control her emotions.

Talimancer posted: »

Then why risk her son's safety by telling the Whitehills of the plan to save him?

• I've been thinking this since I first heard of a traitor. Though the decision you get, makes it a bit too obvious to be true.
    It's game of thrones so I trust no one of course. Hopefully next episode we'll get the option of who to tell(ala twd s1 ep2). That way i can tell just One or two people and if the whitehill's find out i'll know who the traitor is.

None of the three! I bet it's lady Forrester. She acts suspicous. Espacially If you don't tell her anything after you met the whitehill girl. But I could be wrong

• edited March 2015

Can't remember if she's there during the meetings, but it's an interesting thought.
    BTW i'm just kidding.(and i assume that unseenclass is too)

unseenclass posted: »

Tallia.

• He could be, but the thing with the North Grove makes me trust him. Mostly because it doesn't make sense for him to go out of his way to help the forrester's only to betray them. It would also mean that the spy left them unwatched for a period of time(travel times are seriously weird in this game), which doesn't make sense either.

Still he could be the "traitor" in a thinks-he's-helping-by-hindering, way. As he wants to bide time till Mira/Asher come through, so is sabotaging the plans in order to pave the way to future victory.

I replayed and chose the option "protect Duncan" instead of "punch Gryff" and now I'm even more certain that he's the traitor...

• Both good points, though I think he might be waiting to see if Rodrik is a wise leader before telling him. Also everyone thinks it is a myth and Lord forrester himself only told ducan and Garred. That his wife and eldest son didn't know makes me wonder if he had doubts about them, that he shared with Duncan.

And it's really odd he didn't tell anything about it to Rodrik. Not telling Ethan, ok, he was a kid, but Rodrik is your bloody Lord, Duncan!

• The Maester NOT wanting to fight could also be argued as evidence against him though. Also he wanted to give the Whitehill's half the Ironwood as a bargoning chip which could also be evidence against him.

Personally though I think it's Lady Forrester, she just acts too erratically all the time to not be up to SOMETHING.

Ismokeherb posted: »

Pretty sure it is Royland. Gwyn said the spy was trying to stir things up and he's been very eager to fight the Whitehills at every occasion

• That would be hilarious!

Telltale: damn! Thay suspect everyone! Lets make Ryon the traitor! Mwahahahaha!

Telltale might just read our speculation and make the traitor be whoever we suspect the least, these guys

• edited March 2015

In order of what(I think personally) is most likely:

Lady Forrester:
    Reason: A miss-guided attempt to protect Ryon.
    Evidence:Very erractic behaviour . lost her old family. stated it herself that she would do what it took to protect her family.

The Maester:
    Reason: Personal Survival
    Evidence: Maester's (usually) have little loyalty to their "familes". Acts suspicious. Wanted to give up Ironwood. ALWAYS wants us to submit.

Duncan:
    Reason: helping-through-hindering.
    Evidence: wants to wait for Asher/Mira and may think that an earlier attack will make us fail. It should be noted that only some details were mentioned to be leaked so it could be possible.

Royland:
    Reason: wants war with Whitehill's
    Evidence: hot-headed/Rash. Hates Whitehill's. Actively dies everthing in his power to defy them at every turn.
    Evidence against: he is actually very loyal. Probably hates the Whitehill's to much to work with them, even if it does bring about their deaths.

Duncan, for a different reason.
    Reason: Red-Herring.
    Evidence: TellTale might just want to throw as through a loop. Look out! That one guy you thought you could trust turns out to be super evil! Whaaaaaat!?!
    Evidence against: Trusted by Lord Forrester for years. Seems to care about the Forester's(and Gared). Gains almost nothing.

• That was my thinking when I chose not to reveal everything to Lady Forrester. So far only Gwyn, Roderick and (possibly) Duncan know about the traitor. If I keep quiet and anyone other than those 3 make a mistake and let on more than they should know, I've got them. If not, then sadly Duncan is the traitor. I doubt it's him, but he's unknowingly been put in a trap of sorts, loyal or not.

AdamGoodtme posted: »

I've been thinking this since I first heard of a traitor. Though the decision you get, makes it a bit too obvious to be true. It's game of

• edited March 2015

that sounds rediculous, if you're planning to save Ryon stealing him from whitehills keep, then why the hell lady Forester would reveal this secret plan to whitehills?

Allithus posted: »

Lady Forester probably thought it would help save Ryon's life. Like if they submit the Whitehills won't kill them.

• edited March 2015

IMO Lady Forrester is the traitor, since, I think, she's being threatened that they kill Ryon if she doesnt give infos about everything.

She asks too much too, when you return from the talk with Gwyn. She's like "OMG OMG Anything moar y u uncovered?" Now THAT's suspicious.

• edited April 2015

Only four people were with Rodrik when he announced his plan to either take back Ryon or kill Gryff: Maester Ortegryn, Castellan Duncan, Ser Royland(Master-at-Arms), and Lady Elissa Forrester(yeah, 'wait, what's her first name again?' not the first time I've had to look it up). Only they knew about the plan, plus Rodrik. If anyone's a traitor, it's one of them. Unfortunately, whatever we may think about them, I don't think any of us want it to be any of them, for various reasons.

I would have thought it was Duncan if he hadn't come to the Wall to tell Gared to look for the North Grove. He told him, gave him the map and everything. The fact that he followed up on it says he wasn't just sending him to the wall because 'fuck it' and to undermine Ethan's authority to further cripple the Forresters' dealings with the Whitehills.

I wouldn't want it to be Royland. He's so adamant for war and fighting fire with fire, and defending his Lord's honor, but to the point where I'm certain he's a book just turning its own pages without having to be opened. Usually it's the other way around with "thou doth protest to much". It could be an act, but if it is, it's a damn good act.

The maester could be the traitor, but I don't want him to be! He's the right kind of good-natured and with a 'just right' level of quirkiness to him. And the way I hear it, blaming the maester is like choosing 'the butler with the knife in the sun room' every time. It's too obvious. Although, the way the maester's been acting from the beginning is suspect, if tied with everything else. He doesn't seem to care what happens to Gared, but his medical advice concerning that Rodrik may never walk again, and attempt to point out to Gared that his leg can't be saved, and his advice on giving away Forrester ironwood cast him in a culpable light. In addition, he only reacts to Gryff's beating of Rodrik when he steps on Rodrik's arm while he's down, warning Gryff that he may do lasting damage. C'mon Telltale, please let it be somebody else, a spy or something.

Side note: I didn't realize the player had another opportunity to choose to stay down after choosing to get up the second time Rodrik was knocked down.

It can't be Lady Forrester, because she's the go-between for the House and Mira. She wanted to bring Asher back, and sent Malcolm to get him anyway. You wouldn't send a competent soldier away on a quest to hire an army from overseas if there was a chance they could succeed.

• i agree, I didn't like that he wanted Garred to break his vows one bit. Excile to the wall is almost sentencing someone to death. Asking them to break their vows is condemning them to it.

And it's really odd he didn't tell anything about it to Rodrik. Not telling Ethan, ok, he was a kid, but Rodrik is your bloody Lord, Duncan!

• edited March 2015

I agree. We have 4 suspects, the two sentinel candidates would be wierd, because it would probably always be the one that you didn't use as sentinel (wasn't there when ramsay showed up) but that would mean that their personalities are completely unimportant. I just can't see Royland as a traitor, it's just not possible.

She would also do ANYTHING to save her stupid boy.

None of the three! I bet it's lady Forrester. She acts suspicous. Espacially If you don't tell her anything after you met the whitehill girl. But I could be wrong

• All evidence seems to be pointing to the maester, to the extent that this seems too obvious.

Lord Forrester obviously already suspected there was a traitor on the council, given he told Gared to only tell Duncan about the North Grove. The game gives us the option to tell Maester Ortengryn or both him and Lady Forrester, which implies it's one of them, so that telling would come back to bite us eventually.

In episode 1, Ramsay's soldiers are left outside the gate, implying someone had to have secretly let them in for them to appear later. This has never been addressed in the game, so it could just be a plothole, but if it isn't, the only council member not present in any version of events is the maester. I doubt the traitor's identity would be determinant, so not making Duncan or Royland your sentinel, and thus them not being there with Ramsay, seems like a red herring.

The only individual interest the maester seems to provide is about the Ironwood. He's a bit too preoccupied by how much its worth ('the wood is black, but I see gold'), and wanting to hand some over to the Whitehills peacefully. He also seemed to think Rodrik would take weeks to recover from his wounds, so again either the game is trying to cover a plothole, or the maester hoped to keep Rodrik bed-bound and out of the way.

Also, Maester Ortengryn is the only one on the council who isn't from the north. He comes from the Vale originally, so while he is supposedly bound to Ironrath, he doesn't have any ingrained loyalty there.

They've all said things against the Whitehills at some point,

Duncan: 'I'd gladly stick a sword through Lord Whitehill's heart, if given the chance'

Elissa: 'You have to be willing to kill them all down to the babes in their beds.'

Royland: (basically everything he says)

but everything Ortengryn has said against them, particularly to Gared, was basically straightforward and dispassionate by comparison to the others.

Now, Lady Forrester might have tried to strike some sort of secret deal with the Whitehills, but that seems somewhat contradictory, especially based on how upset and flustered she is. Royland wears his loyalty on his sleeve and is a ridiculously good actor if he's working for the Whitehills.
    And if Duncan's cunning and diplomacy turns out to just be deception, then that will an interesting twist, but ultimately implausible and weird. Not to mention how used we'll feel at Gared unknowingly doing all his dirty work for him, if it turns out that way.

• Lady Forrester could be it. We know that she is in raven-contact with Whitehill and she'd probably do anything to save Ryon( for example telling plans in exchange of Ryons well-being, or so)

The maester is suspicious. He's the one we have the fewest contact with and I have no clue what his intentions in betrayal would be.
    I have a few theories about the surgery:
    1. He really just did masterwork and saved Rodrik. He's loyal.
    2. Killing/Not saving Rodrik would be dumb. He's got a pretty good alibi when he saves him.
    3. He couldnt have done anything obvious because Elissa was there at some point.

I dunno. All maesters seem to be a bit quirky, and he's nice. I really want to like him!

Duncan would've no intentions, I think. He was BF with Lord Forrester and what good would the North Grove be if not saving the House?
    I don't think hes doing it just because he's curious. He seems to be the least likely.

I don't want it to be Royland. He's my Sentinel and not likely to be a man of betrayal. My Rodrik and Ethan weren't always with his side, but he tried to save their lives everytime. If anyone of them are/were in danger, he doesn't hesitate to do anything to save or defend them.

Well, Telltale is going to catch us off guard. Whoever it is, it'll hurt. Gwyn couldn't be lying. She proofs with knowing exactly what was planned at the meeting and that would be a lucky guess otherwise.. At least I think that neither of them did it with bad intentions.

• I'm very split between Duncan and Lady Forrester. At first I thought it was Duncan after she revealed there was a traitor and When griff called him a dog, but now I'm a little torn.

• There's a scene in the first ep where the maester says something like "there are those who question your leadership" the camera then zooms in on his face. I suspected him from that moment. As predictable as it may be, I think he is the traitor. Duncan would be a nice twist, though.

• It would be cool if we could do the same thing Tyrion does in the series and tell all the suspects a different piece of information on what the next plan of action is.

Personally, I think the traitor is Lady Forrester. I doubt she's out to destroy the house, but she's desperate to get her son back and probably doesn't have enough faith in her children's ability to get Ryon back.

• Ortengryn

• Let's see.

Duncan goes through all this shit with the North Grove and forces his own nephew to desert. I think he is a bit fishy, but I don't think he's a traitor.

Royland is far too loyal. I could never see that happening.

I also don't think that your Sentinel choice will affect anything, they are both good men as far as I can tell, even if you reject them. But if it is one of them, then it'll definitley be Duncan.

Maester Ortengryn is probably the traitor. It's just a feeling. However, it could very well be that Telltale is doing this on purpose, make us mistrust the Maester when in reality it's someone else.

But there's one person even more likely to be the traitor, and that's Lady Forrester. She's gone kind of crazy tbh. I think she'd do anything and believe anything to get Ryon back home.

So, my bet is on Lady Forrester. Maybe the Maester, maaaaaaayyyyyyybe Duncan and definitley not Royland.

• If there really is a traitor...

1) The Whitehills would already know that Malcolm has left for Essos and plans to return with an Asher and an army.
    2) Mira is in King's Landing trying to aid her family.

Why would the Whitehills sit back and wait for aid to arrive for the Forresters? Why not just kill them without provocation?
    The attempt on Mira's life could have come from Cersei although we know large amounts of gold has left the Whitehills pockets

Just a few thoughts

I expect the invitation to Highpoint will be a test to see if we attempt to rescue Ryon or not.

I can't see Lady Forrester being the traitor, why plan to rescue Ryon then tell the Whitehills?
    Royland seems to loyal to House Forrester.
    Duncan could be the traitor, the knowledge and power of whatever the North Grove holds could be sold to the Whitehills or the Boltons or even possibly the Lannisters, but again Duncan seems to be loyal.
    The Maester has my suspicions, but again he did save Rodrik
    The only other person present at the meetings was Tallia

So confusing lol

• Don't you remember her telling how she wanted Rodrick to kill every Whitehill baby?

Gapaot posted: »

Don't you remember her telling how she saw her family killed, and didn't want to see it again? Fucking suspicious.

• edited March 2015

I posted this on another topic before, but anyone wondered how Duncan managed to get the shields delivered to The Wall?

• After Duncan was so keen to bow down to Gryff and tell him.he was in charge, I actually believe Gryff when he calls Duncan "my dog" I think 100% he's the traitor. I'd hate it to be the Maester. And Royland seems so fiercely loyal I just can't see it being him. Lady Forrester is possible, but I don't see why she would sacrifice 2 sons (Asher & Rodrik) to get one back.

• Lady Forrester I'm thinking.. In exchange for info on Ryon

• edited April 2015

I think it's either the Maester or Lady Forrester

• I agree, Royland is insanely loyal, he would never betray his house.

Let's see. Duncan goes through all this shit with the North Grove and forces his own nephew to desert. I think he is a bit fishy, but I d

Sign in to comment in this discussion.