Is Theon Greyjoy the most annoying character in the series?

Spoilers ahead please read with discretion.

The Greyjoys seem to be the most boring/annoying story in Westeros at the moment in my humble opinion. Please be patient with me as I am currently on season 3 episode 4 where Greyjoy has just escaped the Boltons only to be lead back by Ramsay Snow. He was fine to begin with, but after betraying the Starks and murdering countless innocents he seems to have become a dick. The murder of those orphan boys was just sick.

Any thoughts, of course please let them remain spoiler free if you can help it.

Comments

• It is hard to feel sorry for a creep like Theon. I have not watched the show but I liked his parts in the books the only Ironborn parts that were not boring.

• Yes, he was also one of my least favourite characters too, and I agree that murdering two innocent boys to make yourself look better in the eyes of the others is cold and disgusting. He was also arrogant and had this grudge against the Starks, even though they treated him properly his entire life. You should keep watching the show because his personality is going to change a lot from that episode on.

• I loved his parts in the books, but not in the show.

• I actually really like Theon although he was a bit of a douche at the start he grew on me I do agree that what he did was wrong but it was all a mask to be worthy the maester says so himself "you're not the man you're pretending to be" and then Theon "I made a choice I chose wrong" so I do like Theon and the Greyjoys but I do agree that what Theon did was wrong.

• I actually like Theon.

• Reek?

Ramsay for the win.

• I didn't like him either but considering you're still in season 3 I think you will have a different opinion later on

• edited April 2015

Some part of Theon's assholery comes from him trying to impress his father and regain/establish his position in the Greyjoy hierarchy. Remember his father borderline disowned him and doesn't consider him a true Ironborn because he was raised by the Starks. But he isn't a bad person at heart, he's just really stupid, arrogant and impulsive.

Let me just say that you're going to feel so bad for him after S3E10 though.

• edited April 2015

I enjoy Theons story. I think he's the most interesting Greyjoys and to a degree I do feel bad for him and his wrong-headed misguided attempts to win the love of of a father who couldn't care less. He is getting his payment for betraying the Starks and then some.

• I loved his parts in the show because I think the acting is so good, him and Ramsay Bolton.

stitch123 posted: »

I loved his parts in the books, but not in the show.

• Liked him from the beginning in the books.
    In the series his storyline is presented in a really dull and repetitive way, and it's more Ramsay's show than Theon's. I hope this gets better when the ADwD storyline sets in.

• Aye, both actors are really good. But the actors can't save a poor script writting :(

KCohere posted: »

I loved his parts in the show because I think the acting is so good, him and Ramsay Bolton.

• I enjoy Theon's story and his character a lot, but that doesn't mean I approve of some of the things he has done.

• edited April 2015

I hated Theon with a passion since the moment Robb let him loose. The chapter with him returning to the Iron Islands(book) was enough for me to brand him as a piece of crap, and he didn't redeem much in Winterfell.

However, the stuff that's happening to him now...well, I am not sure how much is shown in the TV Series, and I don't want to spoil things to you, but all I feel for him right now is pity. A clean, quick death is probably the best thing for him.

• edited April 2015

It's unfortunate that he wanted to regain himself in the hand of Balon Greyjoy. Once Balon expressed he would not help Robb Stark, he should have left, but the pull of belonging to your biological is such a bitch. I honestly find Bronn's story more uninteresting. As far as most annoying, Dany in season 2 wins that crown.

• He didn't betray the Starks - they had no love for him, he was their hostage - he betrayed Robb, who was the only one of them to give a damn (in the books, at least, they made everything weird in the show). A small distinction. And I always think it's odd that people harp on Theon for having two boys killed, but never mention the fact that Cersei has like, 20 bastards killed without batting an eye. Or the Hound killing Micah in season one. Or -- literally anyone in this series who has done awful things to their own ends. To say nothing of the fact that Theon is one of the few characters to actually regret his poor decisions, betrayal included.

Like, Theon is problematic af, and he makes terrible decisions, but he's by far one of the most interesting, fleshed-out, human characters in the entire series, in my opinion. His arc is all about identity, and that's fascinating to me.

And I dunno, man, the Greyjoy's are pretty important, plot-wise, in the later books. Euron and Victarion might be skeevy as hell, but there's no doubting that they're important to the plot. And Asha's even making moves, too, though we'll see how that goes. Who knows if it will make it into the series, since that plot-line has seriously been shafted, but, y'know, there's that.

• He's better portrayed in the book. Much like the Greyjoys as a whole. His whole issue is being without a true identity. Is he really a Stark? No, not really. He's just their ward, right? Proof that his family were treacherous and he was left behind. Then, he's sent by a Stark - his best friend at that - to deal against his family. And then, he finally does look his identity - he is no longer Theon, he's Reek. There's still more to come from Theon.

The book Greyjoys Euron and Victarion are pretty interesting. Two of my favourites.

• No, Danaerys is the most annoying character.

• Everyone knows Cercei is a monster and I personally have never had any love for the Hound because of Micah.

Contemptus posted: »

He didn't betray the Starks - they had no love for him, he was their hostage - he betrayed Robb, who was the only one of them to give a damn

• I can't stand any of those lunatics lol

He's better portrayed in the book. Much like the Greyjoys as a whole. His whole issue is being without a true identity. Is he really a Stark

• What do you find poor? I know people had a lot of problems with them showing his torture but I never agreed with that. They only have a few minutes each out of ten episodes to establish a lot of character development and I thought they did as well as they could to establish Theons eventual transformation.

stitch123 posted: »

Aye, both actors are really good. But the actors can't save a poor script writting

• "He seems to have become a dick"
    You just wait;)

• Yeah I think the hatred for Cersei was made pretty clear from the first episode. I guess I did not hold the Hound responsible for Micah's death; I put that on Cersei too.

Contemptus posted: »

He didn't betray the Starks - they had no love for him, he was their hostage - he betrayed Robb, who was the only one of them to give a damn

• I love his story from the books, especially in ADWD. One of the most interesting characters in the whole series, and I really feel for him. In my opinion, he had only one really evil deed - ordering the death of miller's children (I don't really care about him betraying Robb, I hate all this "King of the north" bullshit and wished that storyline could end as soon as possible). I'm really looking forward to his story in the next book, especially I'd love to see his interaction with Asha.

• Daario Naharis agrees.

• The torturing scenes in the 3rd season were actually handled pretty nicely, but I don't like Theon's scenes in the 4th season. I honestly do not know why, sorry. They just seem kinda boring to me. But yea, that's only my opinion. That doesn't mean that you cannot like them ;)

What do you find poor? I know people had a lot of problems with them showing his torture but I never agreed with that. They only have a few

• I agree, fuck Danaerys, I dare say what you see in the show is better, because there is part in the books where she says outloud that Ned Stark deserved what he got, that pissed me off to no end.

Pipas posted: »

Daario Naharis agrees.

• I like Theon's story and his character. And I definitely do not ship him with Ramsay Bolton- That would be absurd...(I have a lot of ships from this fandom, I regret)

• Theon was our enemy but Reek will never betray us ;)

• I think you missed the point of reading from point of view if it pisses you that much. Dany doesn't know anything about Westeros and Ned. She grew up on stories her brother had told her and all she heard was Eddard and Robert the usurper who took their rightful crown and murderd her enitre family. From her point of view Ned is just a name and the reason she had to flee across the narrow sea and had to run from Robert's hired assasins most of her childhood. Also you forget that all her info of Ned's death comes from rumors and as far as she knows he betrayed Robert(Jorah was the only one who knew Ned and told her it's a lie).

That said, I also really don't like her and the way they whitewash her in the show, the girl clearly has the mad Targ gene like her father. Her POVs are my second least favourite(thanks to Brienne's boring ass chapters).

I agree, fuck Danaerys, I dare say what you see in the show is better, because there is part in the books where she says outloud that Ned Stark deserved what he got, that pissed me off to no end.

• Theon is a pansy that deserves everything he gets. Unfortunately the Greyjoy get no love whatsoever in the book AND in the series.

I personally love the ironborn. They are the vikings of the setting, but are kept as random background bad guys, with no depth whatsoever.

But i hope Victarion fixes that

• Oh, forgot to mention, Ser Barristan was in the room and told her how wrong she was, how Ned was an honorable man that didn't butcher her family, but she throws it back at him and says that she doesn't care, it's just one friend of Robert that deserved it, so no actually, lack of information didn't help, she just plain sucks!

Upshaw posted: »

I think you missed the point of reading from point of view if it pisses you that much. Dany doesn't know anything about Westeros and Ned. Sh

• I actual felt bad for the guy, I mean sure he did betray the Starks, kill Rodrik Cassel, and burned Winterfell to the ground, but I don't know, he seemed conflicted went he went to Pyke, and said outright that he screwed up to Ramsay Snow before, well, you fill in the rest. Also I should note that frankly he was one of my favorite sections in book 5, I was actively rooting for the man, and if season 5 goes the way I think it will, then you might be rooting for him as well.

• Didn't Ramsay burn Winterfell?

I actual felt bad for the guy, I mean sure he did betray the Starks, kill Rodrik Cassel, and burned Winterfell to the ground, but I don't kn

• Shipping Theon with Ramsay is obscene.

HarjKS posted: »

I like Theon's story and his character. And I definitely do not ship him with Ramsay Bolton- That would be absurd...(I have a lot of ships from this fandom, I regret)

• You know it's actually been a while, I thought it was the Ironborn that did that, but maybe? Like I said, it's been a while, could be right though.

Didn't Ramsay burn Winterfell?

• In the books, Ramsay returns to Winterfell with men from The Dreadfort and takes Theon and burns Winterfell but in the TV show I think Dagmer and the other ironborn betray Theon and then burn Winterfell. Sorry for the confusion :)

You know it's actually been a while, I thought it was the Ironborn that did that, but maybe? Like I said, it's been a while, could be right though.

• Ah, I see, yeah your right. Also I double checked, nope your right, Ramsay burns Winterfell after the ironborn betray Theon, so I guess I can chalk up yet another atrocity that the Bastard of Bolton has done, and that list is getting fairly long.

In the books, Ramsay returns to Winterfell with men from The Dreadfort and takes Theon and burns Winterfell but in the TV show I think Dagmer and the other ironborn betray Theon and then burn Winterfell. Sorry for the confusion

• Well, yeah but this is Game of Thrones. Obscene doesn't mean much here.

Shipping Theon with Ramsay is obscene.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.