Is Theon Greyjoy the most annoying character in the series?

13»

Comments

• Theon fascinates me because I know that inside this pathetic eunuch zombie is trapped a mad beast hungry for vengeance. Eagerly waiting for the moment the beast is finally unleashed.

• The only reason I hate Theon is because of the way he turned on the Starks. But it was mainly because he was at conflict with himself. For most of his life, he was basically a prisoner of way. And even though he wasn't treated that way, he felt slightly different than everyone else. Perhaps Ned didn't do the best job assuring him he was one of them. So when he returned to his father, he felt a need to prove himself. When he saw how little his father cared about him, he realized that he truly was part of the House Stark. You can see that in the tears he shed in the latest episode.

• I don't think that Theon is annoying at all. The Greyjoy family storyline in the books is beyond boring, but Asha and Theon are interesting to me. Theon especially, he goes from being this callous vapid little shit who only thinks about things in relation to himself, to someone who has his whole being and personality stripped bare, his previous confidence ripped away, not to mention his physical and mental trauma at the hands of a true psychopath - to someone who has empathy for others misfortunes and is willing to risk Ramsays wrath for little to no reward.

And i think his character development will continue longer than most expect.

• Same, I really liked his character, both before and after Ramsay.

Right now though, I think he'll end up dying before the books/show is done. But all in all, I really liked him. He's my third favourite (living) character, behind Jon and Tyrion.

Pipas posted: »

I actually like Theon.

• After last night's episode, possibly. I'm pretty PO'd about him going to Ramsey like he did. After everything he's done to the Starks... What a coward.

• edited May 2015

I still don't think that's a good excuse for his actions (not that you're saying it is). My father abandoned me and I feel no obligation to prove anything to him. In fact, I feel it's the other way around. My stepfather wasn't great, but he still was 100x the father to me that my own dad was. So, I disagree that your dad is your dad. I want nothing to do with mine and there are millions of people out there who likely feel the same. That's just my personal opinion on the matter, I know not everyone will agree. I do understand that a lot of children want to impress their parents, but it's quite another thing to murder innocents and betray your only friends in the process.

Theon is weak. I think that's the only excuse he's got at this point. He's a pathetic little weakling. I will concede to you about Samwell though. He's a good, selfless man, in spite of his cowardice. He's proven himself to be noble and brave when it comes to protecting those he cares about. Even if he's not a good fighter, he tries. I see him as the exact opposite of Theon. Both were mistreated and abandoned by their fathers. One became a traitor with no dignity, moral character, or concept of loyalty to his friends. The other became noble, good, and a protector of the weak, despite being weak himself.

Edit: I read your earlier comment about him on this thread and I agree a lot with what you said. I thought Theon should be forgiven until last night's episode. He had a chance to make up for all his bad choices, but he didn't. It's hard for me to forgive that. I mean, I suppose he could have some grand scheme in mind to help Sansa, but I'm not optimistic. He really let me down last night.

KCohere posted: »

Your father is your father, no matter what other people think of him. I understand why Theon wanted his approval. He just realized too late

• edited May 2015

He didnt go to Ramsay. Ramsay was already there and he was too afraid to lie to him. I dont judge Theon because i dont know what i would do if i had been mentally and physically tortured for months until my spirit was completely broken. I do feel that Theon will come back to himself, he's stil struggling with it.

After last night's episode, possibly. I'm pretty PO'd about him going to Ramsey like he did. After everything he's done to the Starks... What a coward.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.