Game Of Thrones Season 5 episode 9 Discussion/Season finale predictions

Comments

• edited June 2015

No, i mean he would have tried to get her away like he did Gendry, even if it meant his life. I think he was worried about her because she was amlittle girl in the middle of a battle but i dont think he ever dreamed Stannis would murder her.

Skiba7671 posted: »

He did. That's why he brought her up when Stannis told him to go back to Castle Black.

• I dont think she had a choice. My thought at the time was that she was trying to get Drogon away before he got killed by those spears.

• "Meryn fucking Trant, killed by a little girl!"

rousseau posted: »

What do you guys think will be Arya's one-liner when she finally kills Meryn Trant?

• too old

What do you guys think will be Arya's one-liner when she finally kills Meryn Trant?

• Well we DID lose Mance Rayder, I would say he was pretty important in the whole scheme of things. Not to mention Barristan Selmy, beloved by all. So i'd say that some people bought the farm this season, just not in the droves people expected.

Show viewer: Shireen is dead, but I'm sure glad nobody important died this season Book reader: There's still one more episode (while laughs maniacally and thunder happens in the background)

• edited June 2015

Got a new prediction: Littlefinger comes in and destroys whoever wins between Stannis and The Bolton's and becomes new warden of the north.

• edited June 2015

Something that's been bugging me, Mance Rayder was widely known as the King Beyond the Wall.

Why is it that his blood wielded no power when he was immolated?

• Well, maybe because he doesn't have king's blood? I think there is something about the Targaryen's blood that are infused with magic. And since Stannis and...Shireen has Targaryen blood in their veins, it explains why there is power.

But that's the Tv-show continuity. I am not entirely certain with the books. Mance has a son in the books and Jon send his baby son away in order to prevent him from being burned.

FishySticks posted: »

Something that's been bugging me, Mance Rayder was widely known as the King Beyond the Wall. Why is it that his blood wielded no power when he was immolated?

• edited June 2015

So it's literally in the blood, not in the titles? I see...

Well, maybe because he doesn't have king's blood? I think there is something about the Targaryen's blood that are infused with magic. And si

• I may just be reading too much into it. I got the impression that he knew but Stannis had reined him in after Gendry so he didn't do anything drastic.

KCohere posted: »

No, i mean he would have tried to get her away like he did Gendry, even if it meant his life. I think he was worried about her because she was amlittle girl in the middle of a battle but i dont think he ever dreamed Stannis would murder her.

• eh it's a theory. I'm less convinced that any of the religious stuff is true. We know Mel uses petty tricks for much of her stuff but we also know that she has magical powers that are outside of her religion. I know people will say yeah but the shadow baby. Well she's from Asshai AKA The Shadow Lands. It only proves that she has abilities. This is the way religion works you take one fact and make a giant leap about the conclusion. I get the feeling that GRRM is fooling readers with getting on the Azor Ahai band wagon.

Many comments he's made have corroborate this. Here's one about the recent version of Battlestar Galactica's ending

"Battlestar Galactica ends with 'God Did It.' Looks like somebody skipped Writing 101, when you learn that a deus ex machina is a crappy way to end a story..."

On the Targ Blood thing while this is related it's a separate point. Before the Doom, Valyria had many dragon riders from many different families. IIRC the Targs were not the rulers/kings/emperors of Valyria. They were a lesser house within it's empire. There's nothing that really proves that Targ blood is in any way special, it's all speculation.

• Dude... your profile pic. Gross...

too old

• He doesn't have Targ blood at all, why would it do anything?

Something that's been bugging me, Mance Rayder was widely known as the King Beyond the Wall. Why is it that his blood wielded no power when he was immolated?

• AWESOMEOAWESOMEO Banned
    edited June 2015

The importance of blood in ASoIaF is very significant, everything revolves around blood and your line is determined by your blood, there are also many practices with blood, blood magic, bathing in blood, etc.

• Idk, but it seems like she doesn't really want to become "no one" if she doesn't let go of Arya Stark's grudges :P

• You should probably say in the spoiler tag that it's a spoiler for "A Dance with Dragons" - just to be on the safe side.

• I don't see it at all, in fact I think it is only getting better. I don't know ¯_(ツ)_/¯

fallandir posted: »

After the great Ep8, it was sadly a disappointment. I really don't get the plot changes in this season, I'm fine with HBO creativity and ing

• edited June 2015

Nobody will hear her though. :)

I think she should quote Syrio somehow, since his death (?) is the main reason she hates Meryn Trant. I liked it a lot, when she repeated the words this guy said when he killed ... Lommy, was it?

AWESOMEO posted: »

Idk, but it seems like she doesn't really want to become "no one" if she doesn't let go of Arya Stark's grudges :P

• For Mance, it's all about title. As far as Stannis goes, his grandmother was Rhaelle Targaryen.

He doesn't have Targ blood at all, why would it do anything?

• I don't know about the Tv-Show continuity, I might be wrong, but Stannis' grandfather married a Targaryen and thus Stannis and Shireen does have Targaryen blood. It is also one of the reasons why Robert has a claim on the Iron Throne.

• edited June 2015

And the fact that the Baratheons are bastard Targaryens because Orys Baratheon was Aegon I's half brother

For Mance, it's all about title. As far as Stannis goes, his grandmother was Rhaelle Targaryen.

edited June 2015

I know that, but I was talking about Mance, who doesn't have Targ blood (right?) :P

And yes, that is how it is in the show for Stannis.

I don't know about the Tv-Show continuity, I might be wrong, but Stannis' grandfather married a Targaryen and thus Stannis and Shireen does have Targaryen blood. It is also one of the reasons why Robert has a claim on the Iron Throne.

• Polliver killed Lommy, remind me what words you're talking about? Sorry, I forgot :P

Nobody will hear her though. I think she should quote Syrio somehow, since his death (?) is the main reason she hates Meryn Trant. I liked it a lot, when she repeated the words this guy said when he killed ... Lommy, was it?

• I think they're only burning people with the King's Blood though? Idk if Mance has any Targ blood at all, so I don't see what "sacrificial effects" his death would have.

For Mance, it's all about title. As far as Stannis goes, his grandmother was Rhaelle Targaryen.

• Ah sorry. I thought your reply was to me.

And yeah, Mance doesn't have Targaryen blood.

I know that, but I was talking about Mance, who doesn't have Targ blood (right?) :P And yes, that is how it is in the show for Stannis.

• edited June 2015

"Something wrong with your leg, boy?" when he killed Lommy and: "Fine little blade. Maybe I pick my teeth with it", when he took Needle from Arya.

Polliver killed Lommy, remind me what words you're talking about? Sorry, I forgot :P

• She's a Shadowbinder which I tend to believe are counterpart to the White Walkers. Ive been thinking about this a lot since Hardhome! All the White Walkers we've seen are male and they cant reproduce without the human sacrifice of a male newborn. Shadowbinders give birth the shadows, so presumably all shadowbinders have to be female and cant give birth to normal children. Neither group seem to age, with the supposed 8,000 year old Night's King and rumours of immortal Shadowbinders i keep seeing parallels. Asshai and the Land of Always Winter seem like polar opposites. The City of the Night at the heart of Asshai and the Heart of Winter in the North. From the examples of blood magic we've seen, they seems to often involve newborns or even unborn children in the case of Dany, which suggests to me that the power diminishes with age. Its said there are no children in Asshai but its hardly surprising!

Sarson posted: »

eh it's a theory. I'm less convinced that any of the religious stuff is true. We know Mel uses petty tricks for much of her stuff but we als

• Ohhhh right!

"Something wrong with your leg, boy?" when he killed Lommy and: "Fine little blade. Maybe I pick my teeth with it", when he took Needle from Arya.

• edited June 2015

I thought King's Blood meant anyone who'd ever been a king, as in,having the title of King makes someone's blood special.

I didn't know Mel meant it was actually Targaryen blood that has power when she mentions "King's Blood".

• Yeah, it's Targ blood, since she only seduces people with the "King's Blood" - whom she thinks may be Azor Ahai or just fit the criteria for Azor Ahai by having Targaryen blood. Let's look at the candidates:

Jon Snow - Rhaegar (she seduces him because she knows he could be it).

Gendry - Robert's blood - Targ blood (same with Stannis).

All the people Mel talks about have Targ blood, I'm pretty sure that when she says "King's Blood" she means specific Targ royalty blood, but I might be wrong.

I thought King's Blood meant anyone who'd ever been a king, as in,having the title of King makes someone's blood special. I didn't know Mel meant it was actually Targaryen blood that has power when she mentions "King's Blood".

• I don't think she wants to be no one at all. I think she just wants to become an assassin. I think that when she does start to kill, she'll want them to know exactly who she is, Arya Stark.

Idk, but it seems like she doesn't really want to become "no one" if she doesn't let go of Arya Stark's grudges :P

• I think that's how it'll go down. Two birds one stone.

Got a new prediction: Littlefinger comes in and destroys whoever wins between Stannis and The Bolton's and becomes new warden of the north.

• Yeah, she's clearly training so she could cross names off her list.

PigeonPie posted: »

I don't think she wants to be no one at all. I think she just wants to become an assassin. I think that when she does start to kill, she'll want them to know exactly who she is, Arya Stark.

• And then is assissinated immediately after? I could get with that.

• Cause a single dragon is more important that your fucking friends and lover.
    No wonder I have such hatred of Dany.

KCohere posted: »

I dont think she had a choice. My thought at the time was that she was trying to get Drogon away before he got killed by those spears.

• Then Daenerys swoops in and kills everyone - The End.

• But how would that make any kind of sense. The Targs have never had anything to do with R'hllor. They've only been kings for 300 years. Which in the 8000 years of known history is nothing, a drop in the bucket. In perspective the Azor Ahai prophecy is 5000 years old. It's pure speculation that Targ blood is in any way special. It's even greater speculation that kings blood has any effect at all.

In the books Mel does refer to Mance as having kings blood although she may be being dishonest since she actually spares him from burning. Stannis and Mel are very interested in one blagging wildling who claims descent from a former king of the wall. It's a theory and it MAY turn out to be true but it's far from proven.

Yeah, it's Targ blood, since she only seduces people with the "King's Blood" - whom she thinks may be Azor Ahai or just fit the criteria for

• edited June 2015

It's stressed in the World of Ice and Fire how the "Valyrians are not entirely the same blood as other men" and how there was an "affinity with dragons that those with the blood of Valyria clearly had".

There is also a connection between the Valyrians and Asshai, which could link them to R'hllor. Septon Barth says "These Asshai'i histories say that people so ancient they had no name tamed dragons in the Shadow and brought them to Valyria, teaching the Valyrians their arts before departing from the annals. Yet if men in the Shadow had tamed dragons first, why did they not conquer as the Valyrians did?"

Asshai is full of necromancers, sorcerers and shadowbinders like Mel who practice blood magic, so I wonder why these ancient Asshai'i sought out the Valyrians if not for their blood. The power in blood magic seems like it's stronger for newborns and loved ones but Valyrian blood seems uniquely powerful. *Formatting

But how would that make any kind of sense. The Targs have never had anything to do with R'hllor. They've only been kings for 300 years. Whic

• Well, her dragon is basically her kid. Mothers usually try to save their children first.

stevean2 posted: »

Cause a single dragon is more important that your fucking friends and lover. No wonder I have such hatred of Dany.

edited June 2015

But the prophecies say that Azor Ahai will have Targ blood (more specifically from Aerys' line), I don't know why, but That's something that Mel knows. The Ghost of High Heart's prophecies were proven to come true, and since she is most likely the same person as the wood's witch, we can assume this.

I dont really know why they spared Mance. Probably because he has strategical importance?

But how would that make any kind of sense. The Targs have never had anything to do with R'hllor. They've only been kings for 300 years. Whic

Sign in to comment in this discussion.