Game Of Thrones Season 5 episode 9 Discussion/Season finale predictions

123457»

Comments

• edited June 2015

Personally, I have a certain spite against Jon Snow, (in the show, not in the book mind you) I just don't see Kit Harrington as a good actor, his performances range from meh, to a bit above average. To me, his best scenes were during the Wildling invasion on the wall in season 4, during this time we were able to see how much Jon developed as a character in that episode, and that he is a capable battle commander in the face of adversity. But in other seasons, he just seems so pained and bland that I couldn't take him seriously.

So, with that preface in mind, I did not enjoy season 5 episode 8 as much as I enjoyed it's successor, episode 9. While episode 8 was beginning as a rather 'meh' episode, I felt bored during the white walker invasion. Everything seemed repetitive, and very reminiscent of the overrated Walking Dead TV series. Not to mention that the battle dragged on forever, it just...refused to end, and what irked me the most was during the White Walker invasion, when these expendable side characters kept dying. It's almost as if D&D were shouting, "We can still be shocking!" even though the characters they murdered were completely pointless.

Lastly, regarding the 'Stannis the Mannis' argument. I do agree that the show-runner's decision to have Stannis kill Shireen was very abrupt and lazy. And knowing Stannis, this is both in, and out of character. It is in character because, we all know that. (according to Stannis) "I never wanted the crown." But he sees it as his duty to the realm to sit on the throne. (And as a side note I definitely agree. Robert won the throne through conquest, therefore making the Baratheons the new, and rightful dynasty.) Finally, Shireen's murder is out of character due to Stannis's stubborn personality, with Stannis often being compared to iron, since he would rather break than bend. This is made obvious during the siege of Storm's End, when Stannis was degraded to eating rats and other such pests. Knowing so, I'm certain that he would not kill Shireen, just because he spent 5 days in the cold.

Well, there's my take on it. But before I go...Stannis is still the Mannis.

• Well, her dragon is basically her kid. Mothers usually try to save their children first.

and when that fails lock them in a dungeon and forget about them

FishySticks posted: »

Well, her dragon is basically her kid. Mothers usually try to save their children first.

• edited June 2015

Yeah, I don't see her children forgiving her.

She should get tips from Stannis, Shireen was locked up for 10 years or so and she still loved him.

Oh wait....

Well, her dragon is basically her kid. Mothers usually try to save their children first. and when that fails lock them in a dungeon and forget about them

• Well fire is generally used to melt down iron right?

We all know who the fire is don't we.

Personally, I have a certain spite against Jon Snow, (in the show, not in the book mind you) I just don't see Kit Harrington as a good actor

• He risked his life to protect Gendry, a boy he'd barely come to know.

I'm pretty darn convinced he would have helped Shireen if he had any idea this would happen.

Davos thinks Stannis is a good man, I don't think he'd ever considered he'd immolate his own daughter.

Skiba7671 posted: »

I may just be reading too much into it. I got the impression that he knew but Stannis had reined him in after Gendry so he didn't do anything drastic.

• edited June 2015

Well, she might have taken the whole grounding thing too seriously xD

Well, her dragon is basically her kid. Mothers usually try to save their children first. and when that fails lock them in a dungeon and forget about them

• Im convinced its the blood of Valyrian dragonlords that Mel refers to as Kings Blood and not just the Targs, even though as you say the woods witch's prophecy will most likely come true. I don't believe all Valyrians had this affinity with dragons, but from the quotes i posted above, its clear their blood had magical properties and was sought after by the Asshai'i up to 8000 years ago, before the the rise of Valyria and before Targs probably even existed. Something else that convinced me was the idea that Valyrian Steel is spell forged and requires Valyrian blood mixed into the molten metal, hence the name Valyrian Steel. I think Kings Blood is a term Mel made up because the idea of Tommen, or anyone calling themselves King and suddenly having magical blood makes little sense

AWESOMEO posted: »

But the prophecies say that Azor Ahai will have Targ blood (more specifically from Aerys' line), I don't know why, but That's something that

• AWESOMEOAWESOMEO Banned
    edited June 2015

Yeah, I agree with everything you just said :)

This actually sheds some light on everything.

tmsmyth4 posted: »

Im convinced its the blood of Valyrian dragonlords that Mel refers to as Kings Blood and not just the Targs, even though as you say the wood

• If it's Daenerys you're referring to I won't be supporting her. She seems to have entitlement issues, believing the throne to be her's, even though the Baratheons won the throne through conquest, much like Aegon did during his conquest.

PigeonPie posted: »

Well fire is generally used to melt down iron right? We all know who the fire is don't we.

• What could she have done? Drogon wasnt going to let all of them on his back.

stevean2 posted: »

Cause a single dragon is more important that your fucking friends and lover. No wonder I have such hatred of Dany.

• Wow Stannis is a monster, I hope he gets flayed by the other monster.

I have a feeling Ser Davos is going to attempt to murder Melisandre. God I hope he succeeds. -.-

• Haha, I as actually referring to the red witch because of how she manipulates him.

But yeah Dany has entitlement issues.

If it's Daenerys you're referring to I won't be supporting her. She seems to have entitlement issues, believing the throne to be her's, even though the Baratheons won the throne through conquest, much like Aegon did during his conquest.

• Finally someone that agrees! :D

PigeonPie posted: »

Haha, I as actually referring to the red witch because of how she manipulates him. But yeah Dany has entitlement issues.

• mmm interesting. given we havent see LF since he went back to Kingslanding. also we havent seen Olenna so there is a lot of shit that can possibly go down

Got a new prediction: Littlefinger comes in and destroys whoever wins between Stannis and The Bolton's and becomes new warden of the north.

• I'm not blaming them, I just think it will be funny if it's all for nothing and they end up failing.

Don't blame the men, remember what Robb's wife said about that? They could have been some kid from some small town that was conscripted int

• All hail! Ser Davos The Onion Knight Seaworth! Let's hope he rises through The Fire and Flames.

SoMuchSass posted: »

Wow Stannis is a monster, I hope he gets flayed by the other monster. I have a feeling Ser Davos is going to attempt to murder Melisandre. God I hope he succeeds. -.-

• This is just my opinion, but I think the episode's overall narrative would have been much better if Daenerys and Stannis story switched place. So the episode ends with Shirleen's burning instead of Daenerys flying with her dragon.

• edited June 2015

I dont know about that. Did you want to end the episode on a low note like the last few? Eiher way, i think the Shireen tragedy just put a pall over everything. It still makes me upset to think about.

This is just my opinion, but I think the episode's overall narrative would have been much better if Daenerys and Stannis story switched place. So the episode ends with Shirleen's burning instead of Daenerys flying with her dragon.

• Maybe it is just me...It is just that I had a hard time focusing on Daenerys' story after witnessing such a horrible event.

KCohere posted: »

I dont know about that. Did you want to end the episode on a low note like the last few? Eiher way, i think the Shireen tragedy just put a pall over everything. It still makes me upset to think about.

• Yeah, i dont blame you.

Maybe it is just me...It is just that I had a hard time focusing on Daenerys' story after witnessing such a horrible event.

• Well, I highly doubt that we'll see any of the Boltons killed in this episode. Beside the northern story is one of the main reasons what makes the series very good. Imagine another 2 season's only starring Daenarys and Stannis.. The series would be very very boring.

• Nah, if they burn the only one who still has common sense in that army i'm done.

All hail! Ser Davos The Onion Knight Seaworth! Let's hope he rises through The Fire and Flames.

• You're not alone with that. My friend said the same thing today, and I also agree. I was so upset after the burning, and then they throw in the Jorah might die bomb (yes I'm all about Ser Friendzone) and the epic flying scene so I was still on the edge. x)

Maybe it is just me...It is just that I had a hard time focusing on Daenerys' story after witnessing such a horrible event.

• I'm glad that Jorah The Lord of Friendzone is still around. I love that guy. Well, at least he managed to earn a small forgiveness from Daenerys, which is nice. :)

SoMuchSass posted: »

You're not alone with that. My friend said the same thing today, and I also agree. I was so upset after the burning, and then they throw in

• I Love Jorah too. Yeah, okay he tried to sell people into slavery and he spied on Dany. I think he is genuinely remourseful for both. But he's kind and loyal and i think he's pretty good looking if i may say so. And his voice is like butter.

I'm glad that Jorah The Lord of Friendzone is still around. I love that guy. Well, at least he managed to earn a small forgiveness from Daenerys, which is nice.

• Give him some love, he needs it. :) and a cure too :|

KCohere posted: »

I Love Jorah too. Yeah, okay he tried to sell people into slavery and he spied on Dany. I think he is genuinely remourseful for both. But he's kind and loyal and i think he's pretty good looking if i may say so. And his voice is like butter.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.