Who is the traitor?

edited June 2015 in Game Of Thrones

Who do you think the traitor is leaking information to the Whitehills? Is it Royland, Duncan Tuttle. Maester Ortengryn or is it Lady Forrester? If I had to say I think it might be Duncan because during the confrontation with Gryff (E3), Gryff suggests that Duncan may be working for the Whitehills and that he may be working for him in particular, Duncan also overrules Rodrik by stating that Gryff has the power and that everyone knows it. This makes me think that Duncan may well submit to the Whitehills if the going got too tough, although I hope he isn't the traitor as I like his character and I feel that he is one of the nicer characters.

Comments

• It's Royland he has the most to gain from killing Gryff. If Rodrik does, Royland can hand him over to the Whitehills easily

• Could be Royland, Duncan can not be the traitor because of the North Grove secret. And Maester might not be the traitor because he was getting beaten by Gryff which means we must take him out of the list.

Clemenem posted: »

It's Royland he has the most to gain from killing Gryff. If Rodrik does, Royland can hand him over to the Whitehills easily

• You didnt say what would Royland gain from being traitor. Honestly he is only person from the small council about which loyalty I am certain.

Clemenem posted: »

It's Royland he has the most to gain from killing Gryff. If Rodrik does, Royland can hand him over to the Whitehills easily

• Its Rodrik's Cane!

• When Duncan said that he was trying to make Gryff chillax.

I think it's the Maester because we don't know if Gryff knows about the traitor at all.

• Even with the harsh beating he got in Episode 4, part of me does still think it could be the Maester, but my number one suspect would probably be Duncan, then followed by Lady Forrester.

• Gryff tells Rodrik that Duncan is a 'Loyal dog', this why I think it might be Duncan.

Even with the harsh beating he got in Episode 4, part of me does still think it could be the Maester, but my number one suspect would probably be Duncan, then followed by Lady Forrester.

• It could be Ryon...
    Just saying

• Honestly, I have my eyes on Lady Forrester. She could be giving away information in exchange for keeping Ryon safe. She especially made me suspicious of her after we got back from talking with Gwyn and she wanted to know everything about how the meeting went, like she was worried about something (even after I told her Ryon was OK)

• edited June 2015

wow can't believe none of the "it's the maester" people haven't come running to the thread. I'm with you in my opinion it's Duncan don't like how he sent gared away without talking to Ethan don't like how he set up meetings with Gwynn don't like how gryff said he was his dog don't like how he has disappeared from ironrath as many times as he has don't trust him especially because we were told to trust him so well in the beginning

• The only people who I trust 100% are Royland and Talia.

...So if Royland's the traitor he did a good job of fooling me. I can categorically state Talia is not.

• I think traitor is either Measter or his mother.

• I could understand if she is the traitor, because she needs to ensure Ryon's safety.

Honestly, I have my eyes on Lady Forrester. She could be giving away information in exchange for keeping Ryon safe. She especially made me s

• Alt text

Click here

• its not lady forrester. at the end of episode 4 rodrik says "i cant believe i trusted HIM."

• I'm not entirely sure there is a traitor. Gwyn may have been feeding them false information in order to get Rodrick to self-sabotage his efforts out of sheer paranoia. She certainly doesn't see to want to see the Forresters wiped out (lingering affection for Asher) and sure as hell wouldn't want to see her father or brothers harmed. Better to convince Rodrick that someone in his own house is ratting him out to her father so that he'll be so filled with distrust he won't be able to mount a unified front.

I realize that I'm most likely talking out of my arse but I'm not 100% sold on any of them as a traitor.

Ortengryn was too obvious before and now, after that beating Gryff gave him, seems unlikely to have been the traitor.

Lady Forrester seems to be the recipient of fan distrust because her arc is so similar to Catelyn Stark's. That's why I don't think it's her. She was designed to be distrusted.

If Duncan is the traitor then it will be a real surprise to me. The trust Lord Gregor held him in marks him as a good guy in my eyes. If the North Grove is indeed the Forrester family's greatest secret then Duncan must have proven himself worthy of Lord Forrester's trust a thousand times over. I'm better he's everything he appears to be.

Royland is a hothead and a bit of a war monger but I trust him. I don't quite know why but I do. He's not a complex man. I would even call him honorable in his way. He reminds me a tad of an older Sonny Corleone. All balls but would never betray his family.

Then there's Talia. She's rarely bandied about as a traitor and with good reason. She would never take part in an act that would benefit the Whitehill's. Without them Ethan would still be alive. She wants those bastards as dead as I do. I would say her being a traitor would be a shock and a half to me though.

• Plot twist. It's Rodrik

• That doesn't change anything and could have to do with Lord Whitehill in the case of the "swap". Telltale regularly does stuff like this to throw people off. I also feel it is Lady Forrester who has a "deep" connection with the Whitehill's.....

• Duncan and Royland are (basically) eliminated as I highly doubt that Telltale would stagger the traitor based on the decision of the player. If the player picks Duncan then it becomes Royland, and vice versa. That leaves us with Lady Forrester, Maester, and a few others who "could" be involved. I still believe it is Lady Forrester and Telltales preview for next week was merely to throw us off the trail and believe it is the Maester with their "him" comment when it really is a "her".

• Maester or Duncan, please...

• edited June 2015

Well, there is someone who is easily overlooked as a possibility: Rodrik

Now, I realize this is very unlikely, he would not really have had enough time to even communicate with some Whitehills, and he's also honorable and a family man. But maybe he saw it as the only way out? Here's why I trust the other ones.

Ortengryn was my primary suspect at first. He seemed real slick and never there when shit hit the fan. But he is so obvious. And after that beating by Gryff I'm not so sure anymore. Either Gryff fucked up and didn't know he was their source, or Ortengryn actually isn't. I'm going to assume the latter.

I don't think it's Duncan either. He seems very loyal, sent his own nephew away to a dangerous quest in hope to find something for House Forrester. Lord Gregor also trusted him, and I'm trusting his judgement. So I think Duncan is out of the race too.

Royland is the one where I'm most certain that he isn't the traitor. Like Duncan, he's very loyal and also seems to hate the Whitehills guts. Also note that he (and Duncan too, just less aggressive) will draw his weapons on Ludd as soon as he threatens Ryon, and can even kill him (I know this leads to a game over and is therefore to be taken with a grain of salt, but still).

In general, I think the two of them would be too obvious. When the Forresters talk in the tower, they mention each as a suspect. Strangely, this makes me more confident that neither of them betrayed us.

I think Lady Forrester loves her family too much to do this, but she might have out of desperation. Same goes for Rodrik.

My number one suspect is Gwyn.

I think she deliberatley told Rodrik that to sow fear and distrust in him when really everyone is around him is loyal to his cause. Why would she?

Well, safety for her family. If Rodrik either fails to act or destroys his own house in an attempt to find a traitor that doesn't exist, his focus will leave the Whitehills. Plus, an exclusive Ironwood deal with the Boltons.

I think she actually told her father about the meeting with Rodrik, so in return, he also knows our next moves.

As to how she got those informations in the first place, I would say one of the Whitehill soldiers snuck in and listened to their council meeting

My top 3 suspects are

1. Gwyn Whitehill

2. Lady Forrester

3. Rodrik Forrester

• If Royland is a traitor than he is better than Littlefinger and Littlefinger is master of manipulation.

JakeSt123 posted: »

The only people who I trust 100% are Royland and Talia. ...So if Royland's the traitor he did a good job of fooling me. I can categorically state Talia is not.

• edited June 2015

Royland - He cant be a traitor becuase of his character, he was loyal to the house a long time which is supported by his actions in the game. He would have to be bigger manipulator than Littlefinger to pull this off.

Lady Forrester - She could be giving information to Whitehills in exchange of Ryons safety but after episode 4 it is improbable.

The Measter - Foreigner from the Vale, measters are usually sly, wanted to be sent to the Vale but Citadels sent him to the North insted, Could be a traitor or just red herring 50:50.

Duncan - He was loyal to the house Forrester and late lord Gregor clerly trused him but his actions in the game says otherwise. He sent Gared to the Wall without Ethans knowleadge. He was trating Whitehill solders very well in episode 2. He was missing right in the beginning episode 3. Gryff suggested that Duncan works for him and the more importantly he was talking with Whitehills (Gwyn) behind my back before.

Of course there is still possibility that there is no traitor.

• edited June 2015

When Rodrick finds out who is the traitor, I'll be ready...

Alt text

• After Ep4 I don't think it's Lady Forrester, since she ordered the ravens killed. Duncan is still my prime suspect

• After replaying EP1 I think it's the maester, he says Houses much stronger than the Forresters' have fallen in times like this. So I think he's scared and decided to spy for the Whitehills in exchange for (probably) his own survival.

• Could of been something to do with Ramsay?

• I think it's the Maester.
    Why, he got punched by Gryff? - Erm, yes? 'Cause the Whitehills just need a little reason to start a war. When pushing the maester (even if he is the traitor and an ally to the Whitehills) they might be trying to provoke Rodrik. They want Rodrik to make a mistake. They think he doesn't know about the traitor, so it doesn't matter who they torture to provokate. If the Maester really is a traitor he wouldn't mind a few bruises. He would know how to heal them.

But I also like the version where there is no traitor and Gwyn is only bluffing to make Rodrik act like she wants. She wants her family to stay alive as much as everyone else in this game wants. But she also used to love Asher and might want to save the Forresters. So she tries to make them bend their knee instead of being killed.

I'm conflicted with the suggestion of Lady Forrester...
    Talia lost Ethan and is filled with rage, also she is no part of the council, so everyone who suggests her should change his mind quickly. She is my favourite little Forrester.

Royland is no man of manipulation. He is loyal in my opinion. But then again we don't know a lot about him. Maybe I trust him 'cause he is so simple?
    Duncan is kind of strange but the old Lord Forrester obviously trusted him the most, so it would be odd to me. Also he tries to help the family by sending Gared to the north Grove (whatever lies there). I doubt he would risk his own blood to die in the north when he inclined to be loyal to the Whitehills in the end.

• edited June 2015

About Duncan .... Eddard trusted Petyr and look what happened.

Livay posted: »

I think it's the Maester. Why, he got punched by Gryff? - Erm, yes? 'Cause the Whitehills just need a little reason to start a war. When pu

• I don't think it's the Maester because he got beaten up so bad by Gryff but we don't know if Gryff knows that there is a traitor in House Forrester that is giving them information. I hope Duncan is not the traitor because I like his character but he's the one who arranges the meeting of Rodrik and Gwyn :(

• I still think it's either Maester Ortengryn or Duncan... I mean DUncan is my sentinel BUT that was because I needed someone that wouldn't just start a fight while Ethan was in charge. Tehn I just keep him around because I think he's the traitor and I wouldn't have him stay in hour house controling an army on his own...

• that .gif is only reserved for burns, good sir/madam.

• edited June 2015

I 100% agree with you on Royland... and he's not even my Sentinel!

JakeSt123 posted: »

The only people who I trust 100% are Royland and Talia. ...So if Royland's the traitor he did a good job of fooling me. I can categorically state Talia is not.

• I was completely sold on Maester Ortengryn being the traitor but now I'm leaning towards Lady Forrester.

• Who said it was necessarily the traitor.

Maybe we made a deal with Ramsay and he went back on it. Or more likely Whitehill went back on the trade.

It's probably telltale trying to throw us off

• My money is on Duncan.

• i think its either lady forrester or the maester.

• If it's not the Maester then it's Lady Forrester. I think she is giving information to the Whitehills to ensure Ryon's safety.

• Completely different situations. Ned had only heard things from his wife about Littlefinger and meets him in Kings Landing, while Duncan and Gregor were old friends and drinking buddies.

About Duncan .... Eddard trusted Petyr and look what happened.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.