'A Nest of Vipers' Ending Discussion [MOD NOTICE: Thread contains Episode 5 spoilers]

Comments

• Guys Royland/Royland's soul (determinant) is here to say the sad thruth: If we don't get a season 2 we can get Asher/Rodrik wining against the Whitehills. But if telltale are planning on a season 2 you can't count on Asher/Rodrik Forrester's survival. (they couldn't make a cloud system between seasons, only option would be to chose your episode 5 ending at the start of season 2)

• Yes, while I stopped Beskha from killing her former master to gain Dany's favor, this time I'm going to let her go beserk - she must avenge Asher by killing as many Whitehills as she can, I'll even let her be the one to kill Gryff or Ludd (if the final episode allows it).

I REALLY want to see the look on Gwyn's face when she hears that her father and brother basically killed Asher - though I'll probably spare her if I can, I won't show mercy to any other Whitehill that gets in my way after this - Asher sacrificed himself for Rodrik and for House Forrester, now its their turn to finish the story and at the very least destroy the Whitehills.

I saved Rodrik in the end. I just really couldn't stand the idea of Gryff smugly looking down at him while he dies. I want to beat the crap

• I really hope Telltale surprises us with how they handle Rodrik or Asher. It would be nice to see them put more effort into it so being a determinant character isn't a death sentence. When the surviving brother dies in episode 6 or season 2 I won't be surprised and no one else should be either. I want to see the surviving brother actually live, so Asher or Rodrik's sacrifice was not for nothing.

Either way being determinant tells me either whoever didn't stay behind will die anyways in episode 6 or season 2 won't be the Forrester's

• Lol i know i was just joking about that silly ridiculous ambush that could've been avoided if not for plot purpose

Killah posted: »

Ramsay Said he would stay out of it. He also said that watching WhiteHills and Forresters tear each other apart would be more entertaining.

• edited July 2015

Oh man. I left Rodrik because I felt Asher would be better lord for the house's survival in terms of fighting the war.

Both death scenes were pretty sad, but damn, Beskha's helpless pleading was so fucking heartbreaking. Huge props to the VA.

• That's a good point. The remaining Forrester brother will die in the final battle, methinks.

• How does Beskha behave towards you if you don't let her kill her master?

she's much more friendlier and asher can even try to flirt with her. and she'll give him chest (not THAT chest, geez) full of gold bars so he could buy himself some sellswords.

• she's snappy at first, but she seems to forget it later on.

Flog61 posted: »

How does Beskha behave towards you if you don't let her kill her master?

• edited July 2015

WHAT. THE HELL. IS GOING ON. in my Daggett from "The Dark Knight Rises" voice

Like. c'mon. WHY!?!?!? WHY!?!?!?!?!?!?

• And yes, I will admit that I don't like Asher very much. Sorry.

You monster!

YForrester posted: »

Well, I don't think so. It's meant for Rodrik to rule this house, not the secondbor-long-exiled-son-coming-from-the-East with such a small '

• it will make him maim and spit on you (asher\rodrick) when he kills you

Glad I'm not the only one considering this. That might rub the smug smile off his face!

• Although it's the Episode with the most plot

Alt text

• Man i freakin love that novel !

Although it's the Episode with the most plot

• TOUGHEST, HARDEST, MOST DIFFICULT DECISION IN THE WHOLE DAMN GAME!!!! I wanted no one to die but did a Forrester brother have to die?

• Oh man, I got a good laugh out of that. Thank you.

_DIO_ posted: »

Shit now even Gryff can screw us over with 20 good men and a thick plot armor... What is he gonna do next, fight shirtless ?!

• That scene where Stanley and Zero are in the desert really made be feel dizzy and thirsty, great novel indeed.

_DIO_ posted: »

Man i freakin love that novel !

• Who did you choose to sacrifice and why?

AronDracula posted: »

TOUGHEST, HARDEST, MOST DIFFICULT DECISION IN THE WHOLE DAMN GAME!!!! I wanted no one to die but did a Forrester brother have to die?

• I choose Asher because Rodrik is the lord Forrester and he is about to marry Elaena, she just can't lose two. I cried when Asher died.

Harian96 posted: »

Who did you choose to sacrifice and why?

• I flipped a table when they found peaches in jar...

Harian96 posted: »

That scene where Stanley and Zero are in the desert really made be feel dizzy and thirsty, great novel indeed.

• You and me both. I didn't cried but... it was really sad. Asher was a good lad. :C Mark my word - Whitehills will pay for it. Every one of them!

AronDracula posted: »

I choose Asher because Rodrik is the lord Forrester and he is about to marry Elaena, she just can't lose two. I cried when Asher died.

• Apparently the fucker has Wolverine-like regeneration so his eye is top shape no matter what...

What is worse of this all is that the WhiteHills did this just because we locked his son up. I regret that I didn't blinded Gryff, if I've d

• I chose Rodrik to die in place of Asher. It was unfair and cruel and now no-one can be happy, but that's Game of Thrones.

Rodrik is a man who has cheated death once and all men must die. Also the traitor continues telling him that he's making all the wrong choices to save his House, maybe he took it to heart or maybe he didn't. But also he's fought so hard, been so patient and the idea that he won't see it through to the end is possibly more saddening, but what Game of Thrones sets out to achieve. I feel awful for Elaena. I suppose I just cannot resist a good tragedy.

Asher meanwhile has been told this whole time (by Malcolm at least) he should be taking more responsibility, being next Lord of Ironrath is certainly that even if he's unprepared for it. Also, while Rodrik has been Lord for the past four episodes, it's a role we haven't seen Asher in and I'm intrigued to see how he handles the situation given he "never wanted to be Lord" and also how he interacts with his family members beyond Malcolm, since Ethan seemed rather hostile about him coming back.

As far as characters go, I can believe either sacrificing himself for the other and that moment where they're looking at each other realizing one of them is going to die here is heart-breaking enough as it is. I think at least Rodrik can die thinking "My brother is going to kill you and now nothing can stop him." Either way I was going to feel terrible.

It's a smart way to make me play the game twice though.

• Well I let Rodrik stay because I thought Asher would be more helpfull eventually. Asher is a skilled fighter, so said his mother. I thought that he would be of more use at the end. But it was very very difficult and it was a heartbreaking ending...

does anyone have footage where asher runs away and rodrik stays?

• Everyone of them - they will all pay - in blood, I'll exterminate as many members as I can and I'm glad Asher went down taking as many Whitehills as he could with him - but now I'm afraid what the Whitehills will do to desecrate his body.

Tewudin posted: »

You and me both. I didn't cried but... it was really sad. Asher was a good lad. :C Mark my word - Whitehills will pay for it. Every one of them!

• I choose to leave Rodrik behind.

I just felt that the older brother should sacrifice himself for his little brother.

• I couldn't let Rodrik die like that - to me he cheated death so that he could fulfill something great before eventually dying for good - he had better developed relationships with the Whitehills and to me Asher honored his family one last time with his sacrifice after bringing them an army and showing what a mature and noble decision he is able to make in the end - plus the Forrester army need Rodrik's familiar face to guide them - Asher served his family well and he had a lot more potential that I might try out in my non-canon playthrough of Episode 6 when its released - but to me, Rodrik survived the Red Wedding for a reason - so that he won't be killed in another act of treachery and will guide his house to victory, or so I hope - while Asher's end in Episode 5 was heartbreaking, yet it felt also fitting, seeing him fight to the last breath like that, in a way it was a satisfying way to end his story arc - but Rodrik can't die before he's finished the consequences of the decisions he's started.

• Episode 5 had me like:
    Alt text

• This is Game of Thrones. A happy ending for anyone seems somewhat laughable at this point.
    I've found Asher to be a charismatic, interesting and fun character to play thus far. I feel like seeing him take on this next big challenge will most definitely be interesting.
    I'll admit like the rest of you, I really had to think about what would be 'best', for me at least. I have loved seeing Rodrik and Eleana's relationship blossom, but perhaps the non-soppy part of me just wanted a bit more fierce of a fight from a vengeful Asher during what's to come. But does it really matter in the end? You can replay the game as many times as you want with many options, it's great!

• edited July 2015

I thought it was a good ending Rodrik went out like a champ if only I could have split Gryffs skull it would have been better. I will use the hate I have for Gryff to destroy the Whitehill's. All the Forrester's are on the dark side of the force now.

Alt text

• But Asher is the older brother isnt he?

Rohaan123 posted: »

I choose to leave Rodrik behind. I just felt that the older brother should sacrifice himself for his little brother.

• You and me both. :)

YForrester posted: »

My Rodrik will have his 'happily ever after'. I think that Rodrik is meant to rule this house and he is the only true lord of it, so to me-

• Yep, here's video of the ending friend.

All credit goes to Infernokun.
    Skip to 10:09.
    Gotta say this too. IRON FROM ICE! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW1fBSHV3Zw

does anyone have footage where asher runs away and rodrik stays?

• No.

The traitor doesn't do anything if you spare him.

JohnKersky posted: »

Does anything change in the final scene if the traitor is spared?

• So does someone die irregardless of whether or not you kill the traitor?

• I chose for Rodrik to stay behind. To be honest, I much prefer Asher's character and storyline. That being said, it was an incredibly difficult choice to make, and that ending actually made me shed a tear. Personally, that was my favorite episode yet. Can't wait to fuck Gryff up in episode 6.

• Of course, it would be crazy for Telltale to make your choices up to this point determine whether people croak or not.

Marker915 posted: »

So does someone die irregardless of whether or not you kill the traitor?

• edited July 2015

I have a legit headache from thinking about that last choice. It was so hard, but in the end I had Asher stay behind because I just can't let Rodrick go, plus he must have his revenge on Ludd and Gryff.......I CAN'T FUCKING WAIT TO SLAUGHTER THE WHITEHILLS AND END THIS ONCE AND FOR ALL!!!

• One of the hardest choices by far, It felt very cheap to have Asher make it back just to die...so I chose Rodrik to stay behind.. Hated it though..seeing that brat Gryff killing Rodrik after I chose never to submit. Ugh

• Exactly my feelings. Asher is my favorite character and I didn't want him to die after coming all that way. Plus Rodrik staying behind to protect his little brother just seemed like the right thing to do. It is interesting seeing everyone's choices though it seems it is pretty split down the middle with people slightly leaning towards Asher staying.

ponds75 posted: »

I chose for Rodrik to stay behind. To be honest, I much prefer Asher's character and storyline. That being said, it was an incredibly diffic

• But isn't that a very George RR Martin thing to do? Have the rising hero come to a swift and cruel end right when he was about to hit his peak?

Smurfbate posted: »

While I see your point about killing Gryff with Rodrick, I would have to disagree about Asher dying making the most sense. This whole story

Sign in to comment in this discussion.