"Muzzled" getting terrible reviews in Amazon

OMAOMA
edited September 2010 in Wallace & Gromit
A bunch of noobs with (probably) utterly shitty computers are giving the free "Muzzled" episode terrible 1 star reviews either because the game either doesn't work for them, runs very slow, or even can't figure out how to play...

http://www.amazon.com/Wallace-Gromits-Grand-Adventures-Download-Pc/product-reviews/B002RL8K2U/ref=cm_cr_dp_synop?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Whatever their reason, those reviews are not giving the game very good publicity.

Comments

• edited November 2009
    Boy, I love when people blame a game just because they can't figure out how to play it :rolleyes:

I added a five star. I think everyone else should do the same. Muzzled was the best of the W&G games and people really should give it a try on their own instead of listening to these idiots.
  • edited November 2009
    I'm surprised these people managed to even find the website in the first place considering how utterly idiotic they appear to be.
  • edited November 2009
    Pale Man wrote: »
    I'm surprised these people managed to even find the website in the first place considering how utterly idiotic they appear to be.
    They probably got linked to it by someone. Ofcourse since it's free they'd jump on it.
  • edited November 2009
    People on Amazon are somthing else...It's like they're ants if someone doesn't like, they all don't like, there are a few times though were I really have seen mixed reviews on somthing.
  • edited November 2009
    That is both hilarious and frightening.

Any time I see confusion beget anger, I can't help but picture a bunch of chimps trying to open a safe by slamming rocks against it and screeching. People like that are a pretty convincing case against both evolution *and* intelligent design.
  • edited November 2009
    The problem spurs from three factors:

1. People love free things.

2. The majority of the American population own a computer with internet access.

3. The majority of these computers are technologically out of date, significantly enough so that a game like this, which scales fairly well, can't operate on them.

And, voila! 1 star review galore. Tragic, really... But it won't keep me from spreading this offer like wildfire!
  • edited November 2009
    This one is my favorite:
    "It was hard for me to understand when and how to interact with the game. It is more of a cartoon with you interacting in some ways. It has very good graphics and a good story line, but I could not seem to understand how to progress in the story. It waits for you to do something however I had no idea what they wanted me to do. My grandsons would probably just keep clicking and moving around, but for me it is very confusing and irritating."

Read that again...
    I could not seem to understand how to progress in the story...it waits for you to do something...

So that means, because you don't get the game, it deserves a 1 star?
    I laughed hard when I read that one.
  • edited November 2009
    Armand1880 wrote: »
    it waits for you to do something...
    So wait, isn't that pretty much any game ever?

This one was also pretty great: :p

"I downloaded this enormous file and installed it on my computer. It begins like a cartoon. I don't know how to play the game because after watching far too much pointless animation, it stops working. Don't bother with this junk."

466 MB is "enormous"? People really need to upgrade their computers.
  • edited November 2009
    This one is my favorite:
    ...it waits for you to do something...

I just...I can't even fathom that. The "something" that he needs to do is click his mouse. One button. He has to press one button. The only way the game could be simpler to play is if it ran on his thoughts. What on earth was he expecting?
  • edited November 2009
    The problem spurs from three factors:

1. People love free things.

2. The majority of the American population own a computer with internet access.

3. The majority of these computers are technologically out of date, significantly enough so that a game like this, which scales fairly well, can't operate on them.

And, voila! 1 star review galore. Tragic, really... But it won't keep me from spreading this offer like wildfire!

Hey you just described my computer,only difference is I know it probably is my comps fault which is why I thank telltale for releasing sam and max, strong bad, and monkey island on wiiware wallace and gromit I won't get but at least don't need my crappy comp if I descide to buy them. Although I think I'm getting a laptop for Christmas so that might help:D
  • edited November 2009
    Bobbin wrote: »
    466 MB is "enormous"?
    Yes. Especially when you're on a download limit.

Not that that excuses giving a game a bad review because your computer can't run it.
  • edited November 2009
    I've downloaded 'Muzzled' also and it just wont work.
    And it is not because my pc is outdated or that I am a fool. I'm working with win7.
    I tried to run it as an administrator, I've put it in windows xp mode and I even used taskmanager=> affinity=>disabled one core. Nothing works. It just keeps crashing.

So yes, it deserves only 1 star. What kind of publicity is this? I was thinking about purchasing TOMI, but after this happening, I will not risk it.
  • edited November 2009
    St. Louis wrote: »
    And it is not because my pc is outdated or that I am a fool. I'm working with win7.
    I tried to run it as an administrator, I've put it in windows xp mode and I even used taskmanager=> affinity=>disabled one core. Nothing works. It just keeps crashing.

So yes, it deserves only 1 star. What kind of publicity is this? I was thinking about purchasing TOMI, but after this happening, I will not risk it.

Yeah, because there's DEFINITELY no way that contacting their customer support or even just reading the support forums could ever possibly help you get it running, and it definitely has nothing to do with the fact that Windows 7 just came out and may have problems with even recent software.
  • edited November 2009
    Well if they would just change the graphics quality it would run perfectly....
    I mean that is why the option is there... so that people with less powerful computers can play the game without flaws too. I wouldn't get to upset over it though. One man's opinion means jack shit in the greater scheme of things.
  • edited November 2009
    Yeah, because there's DEFINITELY no way that contacting their customer support or even just reading the support forums could ever possibly help you get it running, and it definitely has nothing to do with the fact that Windows 7 just came out and may have problems with even recent software.

No, when you sell something then it is supposed to work properly. I have other games that were created before win7 (and even vista) excisted, and they work just fine.

So, if you are so smart then tell me what I should do to get it up and running (and don't say update dx, because it's already updated).
  • edited November 2009
    No, when you sell something then it is supposed to work properly. I have other games that were created before win7 (and even vista) excisted, and they work just fine.

So, if you are so smart then tell me what I should do to get it up and running (and don't say update dx, because it's already updated).
    Most companies do not test their games on every hardware/software combination known to man, so there are bound to be problems on certain setups. That is what costumer support is for.

I cannot help you as far as Windows 7 is concerned, as I am still using Windows Vista (and running every Telltale game just fine, I might add), but there is a forum post dedicated to just this sort of thing.

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12987

As far as I know, Telltale does not officially support Windows 7 yet. It did just release to retail last month, after all. However, no matter what version of DirectX you may have installed on your computer, you should always let the Telltale installer update it, anyway. You could be missing a stray DirectX 9 component (which does NOT ship with Windows 7), and not even know it.
  • edited November 2009

My computer is worst than Windows 7 and it runs Wallace and Gromit perfectly now so I give it 5 stars:D.
  • edited November 2009
    I downloaded it and played it without any problems on xp.
    I thought it was a really nice touch from telltale to give a free episode away so even if my computer couldn't handle it I would feel a bit of a moron for complaining about it.
    So thanks guys!
  • edited November 2009
    I have Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. Sam and Max Season One Retail CD, Strong Bad, and Wallace & Gromit all run perfectly fine with no crashes (I also bought Sam & Max Season 2 last week, but haven't tried it yet). So it is not simply, "It crashes under Windows 7."

But without more information on your PC, no one can help you determine what the possible problems might be. But some guidelines to help you can be found here.

-HM
  • edited November 2009
    Another thing that could cause crashes(at least for me) is memory. The game does take a lot of memory. I deleted anything not important(old sbcg4ap photos, desktop wallpapers, old telltale demos ect...) and then emptied my recycling bin and Bam better faster Wallace and Gromit.:D
  • edited November 2009
    It waits for you to do something however I had no idea what they wanted me to do. My grandsons would probably just keep clicking and moving around, but for me it is very confusing and irritating.

Sounds to me like that was written by an older chap. W&G (the cartoon) is very popular with older folks, however I can understand how they'd have difficulty with the interface as (I personally feel) it's only intuitive if you have already played a good number of other adventure games. For old folks who struggle with these "new-fangled gizmos" games can understandably have a steep learning curve, so I can actually see where that reviewer is coming from.

My whole family loves Wallace & Gromit and I was thinking about buying my mum the season for Christmas, unfortunately I feel she would find the game confusing, even though she is a very intelligent person and quite computer literate. This is verging back on my tirade against control mechanisms other than point and click, so I'll stop there ;)

Your attitude says it all. Start proactively searching for a solution to your problem before whining in a forum topic that's not even support-related. There's a problem with your computer; could be a cheap graphics card, could be a faulty memory stick, could be corrupt Windows installation or bad configuration, could be any number of things. Could be that the game has an incompatibility with some obscure piece of hardware sat in your box. Either way, game works for me on Windows 7. Giving the game a 1 star will not help you play it.
  • edited November 2009
    Shwoo wrote: »
    download limit.
    This is typical for australian ISP's. I do believe that the majority of countries do not. And if they do, the limit is probably higher.

They should whine to their ISP's (if that's the case) rather than complaining about the size of the file. Digital distribution is the future. The future is now.
  • edited November 2009

That is one of the things about PC games: they take a little bit more knowledge to run than console games. In my experience, 80% of the time, you can't just install a game and have it run fine on a computer - it takes knowledge of what your own computer can handle, some finagling and troubleshooting. Most of which is just in the games options menu if you're computer is up to spec.
    Also, most of the time tech support for a company really wants to help you get their product running. Telltale tech support is awesome, contact them.
    Hollow Man wrote: »
    I have Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. Sam and Max Season One Retail CD, Strong Bad, and Wallace & Gromit all run perfectly fine with no crashes (I also bought Sam & Max Season 2 last week, but haven't tried it yet). So it is not simply, "It crashes under Windows 7."
    Thank you for posting this - I've been backing up and getting ready to make the jump to Windows 7 64-bit this week (from XP 32-bit), and it's good to know you haven't had problems with these games.
  • edited November 2009
    Thank you for posting this - I've been backing up and getting ready to make the jump to Windows 7 64-bit this week (from XP 32-bit), and it's good to know you haven't had problems with these games.

I have had no problems at all with any of the setup files I've downloaded straight from telltalegames.com.

The only weirdness was for whatever reason, when running setup.exe from the Sam & Max Season One retail two CD set, it would sit and spin on the CD drive and go no further. If you eject the disc while it's spinning, then the UAC finally comes up asking if you want to program to run. If you then close the drive and then say yes, the setup continues. It's very peculiar, and I blame it on the lousy SecuROM.

-HM
  • edited November 2009
    I posted a review on Amazon... said it'll take 48 hours or so for it to appear -
    I couldn't help but notice how this game has been getting quite a few negative reviews here... and all of them are based on ignorance.
    You'll notice the majority of them gave the game a low rating simply because the users in question couldn't get the game to run - this is a ridiculous reason to give a game a one star rating. Especially since the game is no more hassle to get up and running than any other PC game out there... it works perfectly as long as your computer isn't completely outdated.

The game is highly playable, great storyline and well worthy of the W&G license.

If I have one complaint, it's how the game forces you to use the keyboard (or gamepad) to move the characters.
    I feel the tried and tested point & click method is the best way to play an adventure game... but this is only a minor complaint.
    Don't get me wrong - the controls work very well for what they are, and most gamers these days expect to use WASD for movement anyway.

Anyway, the bottom line is - this is a great game and Telltale (the creators of this and several other similar games) are making a fantastic contribution to reviving the adventure game genre.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2009
    Read that again...
    I could not seem to understand how to progress in the story...it waits for you to do something...

I bought this thing called a "book" the other day. Apparently it's some ancient form of entertainment from a time before computer games.

It was complete and utter GARBAGE. I opened it up, and after reading one page, nothing happened. It was just waiting for me to do something, to interact with it in some way. I could not understand how to progress in the story.

Needless to say, I certainly won't be purchasing any books in the future.
  • edited November 2009
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    I bought this thing called a "book" the other day. Apparently it's some ancient form of entertainment from a time before computer games.

It was complete and utter GARBAGE. I opened it up, and after reading one page, nothing happened. It was just waiting for me to do something, to interact with it in some way. I could not understand how to progress in the story.

Needless to say, I certainly won't be purchasing any books in the future.

HILARITY!!! *In Mortal Kombat TOASTY voice*
  • edited November 2009
    Your attitude says it all. Start proactively searching for a solution to your problem before whining in a forum topic that's not even support-related.
    I did look for answers. Maybe if you read my other posts, then you'll see that I tried different things.
    There's a problem with your computer; could be a cheap graphics card, could be a faulty memory stick, could be corrupt Windows installation or bad configuration, could be any number of things.
    Then why does my pc run games that are newer or require more of my system than W&G?
    Could be that the game has an incompatibility with some obscure piece of hardware sat in your box.
    Now you say it yourself. THE GAME has an incompatibility with my pc.
    Giving the game a 1 star will not help you play it.
    No, but it feels good :-p Of course it does not. But not been abling to play, is not worth 5 stars, and is not a good promotion to buy the other games.
    I'm a big fan of TOMI since the beginning. I played them all, exluding the last one. Because of the bad experience with W&G I will not buy it.
    Another thing that could cause crashes(at least for me) is memory. The game does take a lot of memory. I deleted anything not important(old sbcg4ap photos, desktop wallpapers, old telltale demos ect...) and then emptied my recycling bin and Bam better faster Wallace and Gromit.
    I have four gig (and use win7, so all of them are used), so that is not the problem.
    you should always let the Telltale installer update it, anyway
    I did

Like I already said. My knowledge is not limited to turning on and off a pc. I know how to put a pc together (hardware and software). I know how to check my hardware for failures. I know my way around in the register of windows. So I think I'm an advanced pc-user.
    for example: Runaway: dream of the turtle (even older than latest w&g) also crashed regularly. I fixed it.
  • edited November 2009
    I cannot help you as far as Windows 7 is concerned, as I am still using Windows Vista (and running every Telltale game just fine, I might add), but there is a forum post dedicated to just this sort of thing.

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/...ad.php?t=12987
    But without more information on your PC, no one can help you determine what the possible problems might be. But some guidelines to help you can be found here.
    This is what Telltale games suggest: The following games work on Win7. Others currently require compatibility modes and/or admin privileges to run.
    Guess what: I allready did this without reading this page.

btw: someboday said Ihave an attitude. I kindly ask you to read my first comment. I don't think I show an attitude there. I just said that I'm running win7 and that it doesn't work for me.
    And for my comment, people start to ridicule me in their answers. Suggesting I'm stupid and so. Who has an attitude problem. Instead of helping, they start laughing right away.
  • edited November 2009
    This is what Telltale games suggest: The following games work on Win7. Others currently require compatibility modes and/or admin privileges to run.

btw: someboday said Ihave an attitude. I kindly ask you to read my first comment. I don't think I show an attitude there. I just said that I'm running win7 and that it doesn't work for me.
    And for my comment, people start to ridicule me in their answers. Suggesting I'm stupid and so. Who has an attitude problem. Instead of helping, they start laughing right away.

I am afraid you are trying to steal my eDentity
  • edited November 2009

Whoa, I thought you were the same person before you pointed that out! :eek:
  • edited November 2009
    Now you say it yourself. THE GAME has an incompatibility with my pc.

I don't have Wallace and Gromit installed, so I can't check it out (because I have a brand new PC with Windows 7 now), but before on my old PC Wallace and Gromit was the only game I have from Telltale that frequently crashed.

I assumed that it must be the fancy realistic clay graphics effects that caused it, because reducing the graphics settings to 3 or below and lowering the screen resolution allowed me to play the game to completion without any further crashing.

So I assume the higher graphics levels were not compatible with my old GeForce 7 graphics card. I should probably test out W&G on my new PC to see if it runs on my new configuration flawlessly.

But you know... for people who rated it 1 star, I still rate it 5 stars because just changing the game settings allowed me to play and it was an amazing game, even on level 3 graphics!
  • edited November 2009
    lol
    for me, it was not about the ribs but 'bout the blues... the St. Louis Blues
  • edited November 2009
    My little review is finally online. More people here should write 5 star reviews to balance out those horrible 1 star reviews it has.

I see some people have done so already but it still has a highly mediocre rating.
  • edited November 2009
    Maybe I'll write a review for it one of these days as well, but I think (hope) most people can 'read between the lines' when looking at 1 star reviews for a game not working. That's not to imply anything negative towards those reviewers.... I know what it's like to be frustrated with PC games when they don't work, but I agree that giving a 1 star review for that reason is a bit wrong. When Call of Duty 5 came out, I had some problems with that crashing randomly, but still gave it a 3 star rating because I thought it was a good game (when it worked). They've since gotten it more stable with patches, but my point is, I didn't give it a 1. On the other hand, if it had refused to run at all..... who knows, maybe I would have given it a 1.

I do think that these games (Telltale) can be pretty demanding on their highest settings. The EXEs themselves are pretty large, and I have seen them taking hundreds of MB of RAM while running. Does anyone know if there is a CFG file or settings in the registry that can be changed to set everything to its lowest before running the game? That may help a person get it going at least. I have one PC running Vista, but have had mixed luck with games on that. When I built my gaming rig/main computer last year, I went with XP for that reason..... better compatibilty. I can play just about any game at full settings with no problems.
  • edited November 2009

support@telltalegames.com
  • edited November 2009
    I'm so glad I bought a new computer and got broadband this year - because my laptop would crash blue screens multiple times under the likes of Sam and Max Season 2!...Anyway great episode, Telltale.

Like someone said in one of the positive Amazon reviews (probably a reviewer from the site) it really felt like one of the shorts (not A Matter of Loaf and Death, which I never really liked personally). I commend Telltale for this accomplishment, if sidelining it for TOMI on its release.
  • edited November 2009
    @St. Louis -> I read your first post in this thread and I feel you have an actitude. But the guys on this thread doesn't have a better actitude either, so, I guess is a draw.

The only thing I can tell is just send an email with your problem and all your specs to support@telltalegames.com (or post it in the support forums) and they probably will find the trouble (It's not necessary you have an "ancient" graphic card: There's some new ones who also has troubles with those games). If you actually brought the game and doesn't run at the end of everything, they are nice enough (far I read it) to return your money.

My experience with the Telltale's Support is wonderful, so, they will help you to run the game. Of course, if you want.
  • edited November 2009
    @ ginnyN: thank you for your nice comment and sorry if I gave the wrong impression with my first comment.
  • edited November 2009
    @St Louis: What's your computer's graphics card?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.