Forum of Thrones: An Interactive Story

Comments

• edited January 2016

Completley understandable, but in my opinion, it's best to collect as much information as possible about Saerya, assuming Jenna doesn't get

• [Follow Saerya] Don't think if this choice is better or it may be.

[Tell him the truth and apologize] I don't like to lie :P

Jenna The courtyard was nearly empty as Jenna crossed it. She felt the sun on her skin, it was a rare, beautiful autumn day, warmer than

• Good luck and I hope it will help you to change the studies direction on one you will enjoy more, whatever it is! :-)

So, I feel like it is time for a short announcement. Usually, this would be around the time the new part should be up already. This time how

• edited January 2016

Alright, just a short update, since I just came home after a very eventful day: I did indeed suceed with my project, partially at least. Even though I have absolutely no problem with going into deeper detail, I don't want to bore you with it, so let me keep it short, while also a little bit informative: This project is me applying for a very prestigious drama school, since acting has always been a passion of mine, even more than writing. To get accepted at this drama school, I have to succeed at an audition. This audition in turn has three stages, all of them set at different days. Today, I passed the first stage, which has already been a huge success for me. The next two stages will take place over the course of the next two weeks, but they require a lot less preparation from me in advance. For you, this means my writing might be slightly slower for a few days, even though I doubt it. However, taking the weekend off has certainly been a good decision. Now, I will continue to write as usual. Though, not today, because I just spent most of the day trying to emphathise with and relate to the role I performed in front of the examining board, which has been the loveable, charmingly insane roman emperor Caligula. As you can hopefully imagine, I'm going to need at least a good night of sleep to calm down after this fascinating experience, so I will start writing the next part tomorrow. I will also close the voting tomorrow, as I currently feel like I might be able to finish the whole part in one day.

So, I feel like it is time for a short announcement. Usually, this would be around the time the new part should be up already. This time how

• Caligula, That is an amazing role the few actors can get right..................I'm betting you nailed it :D

Alright, just a short update, since I just came home after a very eventful day: I did indeed suceed with my project, partially at least. Eve

• That's really cool. I didn't know you were into acting.

I thought that said lovable, charmingly insane woman XD

Alright, just a short update, since I just came home after a very eventful day: I did indeed suceed with my project, partially at least. Eve

• edited January 2016

.......You are confusing emperors. Caligula was the crazy evil one. You mean Elegabalus the one who prostituted himself and wanted to be woman.

AgentZ46 posted: »

That's really cool. I didn't know you were into acting. I thought that said lovable, charmingly insane woman XD

• edited January 2016

I meant when I was reading Liquid's comment, I thought he typed 'insane woman'. I'm not consfusing emperors.

Lord_EAA posted: »

.......You are confusing emperors. Caligula was the crazy evil one. You mean Elegabalus the one who prostituted himself and wanted to be woman.

• Oh sorry misunderstood. Cool new user pic :) ,though i liked the Ethan one more.

I meant when I was reading Liquid's comment, I thought he typed 'insane woman'. I'm not consfusing emperors.

• Yeah well I've had Ethan since I first made a Telltale account.

Lord_EAA posted: »

Oh sorry misunderstood. Cool new user pic ,though i liked the Ethan one more.

• I kept the same one too :) ...............oh wait

Yeah well I've had Ethan since I first made a Telltale account.

• edited January 2016

The Voting is closed!

Jenna is going to follow Saerya

John is going to tell Daghan the truth

Both of these choices were important, because they are going to shape how their respective storylines are going to continue in this chapter. Especially Jenna's choice is going to be important, for obvious reasons, although John's choice will have major consequences for the way Daghan sees him. Expect some more screentime for Saerya and Daghan in the next parts of Jenna and John, as well as some answers to questions you might have.

The next part is hopefully going to be out today. Keep in mind, I just started to write it about half an hour ago, but I have a good feeling that I will manage to finish it quickly. It is going to be a Lucas part and Lucas parts are always easy to write, especially since this one is a fairly important part, with a rather important choice. The last time we saw Lucas was not in his own part, but in Samantha's part. In his own part, which has also been the first part of Chapter 6, Lucas and Leonard discussed what happened and they decided to change their original plan to take down Harris with their knowledge to a new plan, in which they focus on Mullendore instead. In Samantha's part meanwhile, the group arrived in Raylansfair, where Samantha immediately saw a guard apparently spotting and recognizing Lucas and Leonard. This guard ran away, likely to inform someone about their arrival and Samantha was faced with the choice to either send Sasha with them on their way to Harris, for their protection, or to keep Sasha with her when she faces Lunett's father, for her own protection. Sasha greatly preferred the latter option, which was also the one that ultimately won the voting.

And now, prepare for one of these rare occasions in which I give a shout-out to one of the other lovely stories in this forum. Usually, I give shout-outs to stories that have just started, to give them a bit more exposition. This one is a bit different, as it has been going on for a while now. However, I nonetheless think that it deserves more readers and it is a very enjoyable story, so I think you're going to like it even if it requires a bit of catching up. The name of this story is Multiverse: Prime and it is written by the awesome @Lord_EAA. The actual story is hard to explain without going into very deep detail, at least in my opinion, so I'm just going to post a link to it and let you read and experience it for yourself. Let me just say, this story is good. Very good in fact and certainly among my favourites in this forum. I know, some of my past shout-outs have sadly turned out to be time-wasting for you and for me, since the writers of these stories either lost interest very quickly, never even started to write, or completely disappeared from the forum, but I can assure you, this one is different. Multiverse:Prime has been going on for months now, Lord is a dedicated writer and I am absolutely convinced that you won't waste your time with reading it, as it won't end anytime soon. I am sure that you're going to enjoy it, so if you want to give it a try, follow this link.

• Stay tuned I will make more weird shppings!

Dagsy, huh? We'll see... Despite the fact that they never shared a scene together and that Daghan is old enough to be Daisy's father, it is certainly not the weirdest or most unlikely crack ship I could think of XD

• Let me guess...we will have to decide if tell the truth or not at Harris about what happened at Oldtown

The Voting is closed! Jenna is going to follow Saerya John is going to tell Daghan the truth Both of these choices were important,

• Hey, congratulations with the stage passed! :-))

• Thanks for the shout out man :).

The Voting is closed! Jenna is going to follow Saerya John is going to tell Daghan the truth Both of these choices were important,

• Lucas

“Are you ready, Flowers?”, Leonard asked as they walked down the ship and onto the pier. Lucas opened and closed his healthy hand over and over, trying to calm down. It felt strange to be back. His journey to Oldtown and back took him the majority of a month, but to him, it felt as if years had passed. The worst part was the uncertainty about what he would find here. At least on the surface, the city seemed to be normal, but he was expecting the worst when it came to Harris.

Harris... for a moment, Lucas felt anger flashing up inside of him, a horrible, primal rage, as the thought at the man that sent him to Oldtown in the first place. And for what? So that his fragile cardhouse of lies could be uphold a little bit longer. For Lord Raylan's last will, a piece of paper that seemed to be of so little importance at the moment, compared to the threat Mullendore posed. Thinking of Mullendore made the rage only stronger and this time, Lucas actually had to stop walking for a second, to take a deep breath.

“Flowers?”, Leonard asked again and this time, Lucas shook his head. “I don't think I'm ready, Len”, he answered weakly as he turned around to face the ship that brought them all the way from Oldtown to Raylansfair. Samantha and Sasha were walking shortly behind, both of them looking grim and determined, in Sasha's case even more than usual.

“I know John good enough to have a general idea where to find him”, Samantha said as she stopped next to him. “Where's the biggest and best tavern in this city?” A forced smirk appeared on Leonard's face, before he answered. “The only tavern you mean”, he grinned. “We share the same way, just down the main street”

With these words, he started to walk down the pier, but not before he gave Lucas a somewhat concerned glance. Samantha walked next to him, which left Lucas and Sasha to follow behind. Even though she wasn't the most talkative, she was welcome company at the moment, because one short look was all she gave him. Afterwards, she stayed silent, leaving him to his thoughts.

Meanwhile, Samantha and Leonard talked to each other, a boring, superficial talk about the flaws of the local tavern and its beer. Lucas stopped listening after the first few words. He noticed that Sasha wasn't listening either, but unlike him, she was closely paying attention to their surroundings.

It was the early afternoon, which meant that the streets were crowded. However, the presence of two armoured knights was enough to quickly disperse the crowd that gathered to look at them. The smallfolk of Raylansfair was naturally curious and Lucas recognized more than one face among them, people whose name he never learned, but whom he had seen numerous times over the past months. And they had seen him. They recognized him.

It wasn't long until Lucas and Leonard had to continue on their own. Together, they had left the docks behind, as well as most of the crowd of onlookers. They had walked down the main street, while the buildings on each side grew slightly more pleasant to look at, from the rundown warehouses that characterized the docks, to the large homes that were present in the city centre.

The Pony, Raylansfair's only tavern, was located on a small square. It wasn't the worst tavern Lucas had ever been in and it was actually rumoured to be a lot better than it had been years ago, before the current owner took over. In a wicked sense of irony, the original owner of the tavern had built it across the same square where the Sept was located. To Lucas' surprise, the Sept seemed to be closed today. Usually, its doors were widely opened during the afternoon, but right now, they were closed and no light was visible on the inside.

“So... here we are”, Samantha said, as a means to break the silence. She nervously glanced at the tavern and her smile cracked for a moment. “John should be here” Again, she visibly hesitated to continue. “Aylard as well” Sasha put a hand onto her upper arm. “You know I'm here for you”, she assured her. “He won't be a problem”

“He is no problem”, Samantha answered, her voice gaining sharpness for a short moment. “He is just...” She paused and looked up, directly at Lucas. “A grieving father”, she whispered. Even though no emotion was audible in her voice, it almost sounded like an accusation. He couldn't blame her. Even though he would have loved nothing more than to close his eye, he couldn't, because he knew the images that would flash through his mind the moment he would do so.

“We're better leaving now. I don't want to keep Harris waiting”, Lucas growled. He didn't say it, but standing out here, in front of this building, it made him uncomfortable. The thought of facing Aylard Kawl... a part of Lucas would have rather died in these dungeons than to ever look the innkeeper in the eyes, to ever face his wrath, to ever admit his own guilt.

“Right...”, Leonard mumbled and shot him a concerned glare. He turned to Samantha and gave her a short hug. “Thank you for doing this. Try to keep him at bay. We won't be gone for long”, he assured her, before he looked at Sasha. After a short pause, both just gave each other an understanding nod.

Lucas said nothing. He hated goodbyes, as temporary as this one hopefully was. At the same time, he had just turned away from Samantha to look at the keep and he couldn't bare to look at her again. She probably wasn't even aware of it, but there was a certain guilt in her eyes, similar to the one he felt himself. It was a guilt she shouldn't have.

“Good luck”, he mumbled, without looking at the women, before he attempted to leave. He barely managed to take a single step, before he felt a soft pat on his right forearm. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Sasha. “One more thing”, she said and lowered her voice to a whisper. “Don't turn around. Don't even look over your shoulder. Smile as if I just made a joke”

Despite his confusion and despite the fact that smiling was the last thin he wanted to do at the moment, Lucas followed her wish. Sasha started to grin widely, although her eyes showed no joy at all. “Whatever I say, don't turn around. Look at me. Smile. There's a guy following us”, she whispered. “He is currently standing near the main street, watching us from the crowd and he obviously thinks I don't notice him”

“Have you seen his face?”, Lucas asked with a forced smile and Sasha shook her head. “He wears a hooded cloak. Conceals his face, but I can see that he is rather muscular. Tries to hide a sword underneath his cloak”

“We've been watched ever since we entered this city”, Samantha joined in on their conversation. “He could be trouble” Leonard gave her a nod. “Obviously”, he mumbled. “But we can't provoke a fight in broad daylight. We're going to lure him into a trap. After all, he does not know that we've noticed him”

“You sure you can do this?”, Samantha asked with concern in her voice. Leonard gave her a determined nod. “My leg is still messed up and Lucas isn't at his best either, but we're still trained knights. A single street thug won't be a problem”

This time, Sasha let out a scornful sigh. “Famous last words”, she mumbled, before something that almost resembled concern flashed over her face. “Just... don't get killed” Samantha gave her a nod. “I agree”, she said and Lucas noticed that she wasn't smiling at all. Instead, she glanced at him in a cold, distanced way. “Saving you has been a lot of trouble. Whatever it is you're planning, don't die on me now”

With these words, she turned around, towards the tavern. Sasha glanced at the knights, shrugged and followed her, leaving Lucas and Leonard alone. “Do you think she will be alright? Because of Aylard, I mean”, Leonard said. Lucas shook his head. “I don't know”, he answered and sighed. “And at the moment, I don't even have the time to think about it. There's a meeting with Harris waiting”

“Right...”, Leonard frowned as he and Lucas continued their way. “About this guy that's following us... I might have an idea”, the other knight mumbled, still not looking over his shoulder. “We can't risk a fight on the main street. We're going to lure him through the alleyways. If he tries a fight, there will be no innocent bystander he can hide behind”

“You think he is really following us?”, Lucas asked and Leonard gave him a nod. “I think Sasha has a feeling for that kind of stuff”, he explained. “We should be careful. A fight in broad daylight, with tons of people who can get hurt, that is not what I want. I'd rather choose the place myself. Turn left now” With these words, he lead Lucas into a small side street, leaving him no other option but to follow.

“Len, this is risky as well”, Lucas pointed out and Leonard gave him a nod. “Aye. For him. If he tries to attack us, I have no problem with killing him. After Oldtown, I doubt you're having any restraints left either”, he growled.

“Hell, I'm not even sure if this guy is still following us”, Lucas muttered as he slowly followed Leonard through the side streets. It was a longer way towards the castle, less direct, but eventually, he knew that it would lead them to their destination as well. “For his sake, I hope he isn't”, Leonard answered. “But... who in this city could want our death? I doubt Harris would go that far”

“Butterfly”, Lucas stated bitterly and without hesitating. “He has an interest in Raylansfair. It's likely that he has people here as well. By ship we travelled fast, but not as fast as a raven” Leonard let out a sombre sigh. “That makes a certain amount of sense”, he admitted. “Guess in that case we're up against a trained killer... might be a problem”

“Who ever said anything about one?”, a deep voice cut him off. Out of the shadows of an adjacent alleyway, a tall, bald man walked into Lucas' field of view. He casually held a spiked mace in his hand as he gave them a mockingly polite nod. Behind him, a second man followed, wielding a sword as dirty as his vicious grin. Then, a third, armed with a long, curved knife. Neither of them was wearing a hooded cloak.

“It was easy to follow you”, the bald man said with a chuckle. “You're predictable”, the man with the sword added and his grin got a bit wider. “It's the reason you're going to die” With these words, the three men planted themselves in front of the knights in a threatening way.

Leonard sighed as he put a hand onto the hilt of his sword. “Listen, you really don't want to die for Butterfly”, he growled and to Lucas' surprise, the bald man gave him a confused look. “Who's Butterfly?”, he asked, but before Leonard could answer, the man looked at his companions. “I take the cripple. You kill the other one”

The man with the knife laughed at this sentence as if the bald man had made a terrific joke. “Which cripple?”, he giggled as he glanced from Lucas' mutilated hand to Leonard's bandaged leg. The bald man sighed as he looked at Lucas. “I take the one-eyed cripple, you take the limper”, he ordered as he grabbed his mace with both hands.

At the same moment, the knights drew their swords. Lucas wasn't able to see Leonard's face, but he knew that his friend felt the same rage inside of him. He wasn't even able to notice his surroundings. All that mattered at the moment was the bald man. His opponent. He let out a deep, angry growl. His prey. Then he attacked, before the bald man could make his first move.

As much as he would have loved to end the fight with his first attack, Lucas realized that he overestimated himself. His bandaged left hand wasn't yet able to hold a sword, so he was limited to his right arm. The strike was weaker and slower as a result and the bald man took a step sideways, evading the blade while he simultaneously stepped into Lucas' blind spot. Behind him, Leonard parried a strike from the sword, while trying to avoid getting hit by the knife.

Then, before Lucas could turn his head, the spiked mace hit his head, specifically, the remains of his right ear. His whole body exploded in pain and Lucas fell to the ground. Despite the agony, he realized that the only reason he was still alive was that the bald man had hit him with the hilt of the mace, not with the spikes themselves. To realize that the bald man was only toying with him only further fuelled his anger.

Leonard turned around as soon as he noticed that Lucas went to the ground. “Lucas!”, he exclaimed as he raised his sword to attack the bald man, momentarily ignoring the other two. The man with the sword used this opportunity to kick Leonard's already wounded leg, hard enough to send the knight on his knees.

Desperately, Lucas tried to grab his sword, but in his pain and confusion, he grabbed it with his bandaged, mutilated hand. Pain flashed through his whole arm as he touched the cold hilt of the blade. Even more pain followed as the bald man quickly and violently stomped onto his hand. “Not a good idea”, he snarled as he turned around to kick Leonard in the face.

“We have orders not to torment you”, he revealed. “Just a quick death. But I think the boss won't be too angry if we have our fun” He glanced at his men. “Beat him to death. I'll do it my way with the other one” Immediately, the man with the knife started to kick Leonard and his companion soon joined in. The knight weakly tried to protect his head with his arms, but Lucas knew that it was ultimately futile. Still, he felt no panic and no fear. Just burning anger.

“Who ordered you to do this?”, he growled as he glared at the bald man. The man in turn was softly holding his mace, as he slowly raised it. “I bet you'd love to know this”, he chuckled. “But well, you're going to die either way, huh? Guess I can tell you...”

He cut himself off as he looked past Lucas and past the downed Leonard. “Stop it!”, he ordered his men. While the one with the knife immediately followed the order, the one with the sword took the opportunity to kick Leonard's wounded upper leg once more, which was enough to force Leonard to yell in pain. “Enough!”, the bald man growled again and glared past his men, to the end of the side street. “Who are you?”

Finally, through his clouded vision, Lucas saw someone entering the side street. He wasn't able to see many details, for most of the strangers face was hidden behind the hood of his large, brown cloak. A short, black beard was visible underneath it, but that was about all Lucas saw. However, a short wave of relief flashed through him as the stranger immediately reached underneath his cloak, to reveal a longsword, which he immediately pointed at the thugs.

“Looks like we'll get a good fight after all”, the man with the sword chuckled. The bald man gave him a nod. “Kill this one. Don't toy with him”, he ordered and immediately, his men attacked. The man with the knife was the first to attack. He was also the first to die. Taking a step to the side, the stranger evaded the strike. Instead, he used the force of his opponents attack and combined it with his own counterattack. His sword hit the man's abdomen and deeply slashed across it. With the same movement, he parried the sword of his second opponent. Behind him, the man with the knife went to the ground, guts first.

The second man didn't live for much longer. He tried to attack the stranger again, but his attack was parried. Before he could react, the stranger deeply thrusted his sword into his chest, impaling him and ending his life immediately. Pulling it out again, he pointed it at the bald man, who just in this moment had started to charge at him. The last of the thugs stopped immediately, his eyes widely opened as the sword was pointed at his throat.

“Give up”, the stranger said and removed the hood. Even now, he remained a stranger to Lucas. He was perhaps in his early thirties, his black beard covering most of his face, a face that looked rather average and plain by any definition. His hair was cut short and his brown eyes gave Lucas a concerned look. “Give up and I will leave you alive, I swear”, he promised.

Immediately, the bald man dropped his mace. “Fine”, he growled. “I don't want to waste my life here, not for her” He glanced at Lucas. “Not for this cripple” And this was something he shouldn't have said. The anger returned just as he said this, stronger than ever. With a scream of rage, Lucas jumped up, grabbing his sword in the process, this time with his healthy hand. Before the bald man could react, Lucas hit him with his sword, ramming it through his abdomen first, then through his chest and finally, while the man was already falling through the ground, through his mouth and out of the back of his head.

“Holy fuck, Flowers!”, Leonard exclaimed as he weakly tried to stand up. Even the mysterious stranger looked shocked, but remained silent. He just gave Lucas a nod. “I understand”, he remarked, even though he stopped as soon as Lucas pointed the sword at him. “Who are you?”, Lucas growled. “I asked you a question!”

“Easy now”, the stranger answered as he reached down to help Leonard back onto his feet. “Flowers”, the other knight hissed. “Put the sword down! This guy just saved our life” The stranger gave him a nod. “Indeed I did”, he said. “But your friend asked a good question” With these words, he took an elegant bow in front of the knight and finally, Lucas started to put his sword down. “My name is Ian. Ser Ian Shortwood”, the stranger introduced himself. “I am a hedge knight and as you can see, no stranger to combat”

“A hedge knight...”, Lucas muttered. “What is a hedge knight doing in Raylansfair?” To this, Ian gave him a surprised glance. “You don't know how famous your little city is right now, do you? I think I'm the first, but I doubt I will be the last hedge knight to come here, to seek a new lord to serve”

“So... you want to serve Lord Harris?”, Leonard asked and narrowed his eyes. Ian shook his head. “The lord of Raylansfair. As far as I've heard, Harris is just the acting lord until a new one gets appointed”, he answered. “You are probably curious why I followed you since the docks. I have to apologize for my secrecy. Usually, I wouldn't have done it, but saw how these thugs started to follow you as well. And I heard the crowd whispering your name” He looked from Lucas to Leonard. “You are Lucas Flowers and Leonard Constantine, am I right?”

This time, Leonard gave him a nod. A small, relieved smile formed on Ian's face. “Then you are exactly the people I was looking for”, he revealed and took a deep breath. “As you already know, I am a hedge knight. For a while, I have been wandering through the Reach, searching for a lord to serve. I heard about the trouble your House Raylan is currently in”

“Well, it's kinda dead, isn't it?”, Leonard answered with a grin, to overplay the pain he was obviously in. Lucas' eye was still narrowed as he glared at Ian. “Why do you want to serve Raylansfair?”, he growled. For a moment, Ian did not answer. The smile on his face faded. “Perhaps I've been without loyalty for too long. Raylansfair is my chance for a new beginning”, he mumbled. “All I'm asking for is a chance. I just saved your life. In return, I hope that you can take me with you, to the acting lord. To give me a chance to pledge my allegiance to this city”

He looked at Leonard. “I'm not asking for more. Just this chance. If you help me, this city will have another knight. You'll have an ally”, he said and glanced at the dead thugs. “I assume you need one” Leonard gave him a quick nod. “Indeed”, he said and chuckled. “Shortwood, huh? Darren is going to hate you. Reason enough for me to support you. You really saved our asses here. You're coming with us!” He looked up at Lucas. “He is coming with us, isn't he, Flowers?”

[Agree to help Ian] [Refuse to help Ian]

• [Agree to help Ian] Raylainsfair really needs a new knight after we lost Lagon.

Lucas “Are you ready, Flowers?”, Leonard asked as they walked down the ship and onto the pier. Lucas opened and closed his healthy hand o

• [Agree to help Ian]

Well, if only we had Sasha with us, we might have almost not died. As much as I don't trust Ser Ian Shortwood, doesn't look like we got much of an option.

Lucas “Are you ready, Flowers?”, Leonard asked as they walked down the ship and onto the pier. Lucas opened and closed his healthy hand o

• [Agree to help Ian] A debt must be paid.

The thug mentioned a 'she' the only people I can think of are Sheryll and Saerya, not sure why either of them would order their deaths, or use common thugs for that matter.

• edited January 2016

For a crippled man Lucas is pretty strong, like hulk.

[Agree to help Ian] Ian may be an opportunity for them, additional fighter are always welcome.

• edited January 2016

[Agree to help Ian] I decide to make this decision like the others readers,however I'm not sure of the outcome..I mean,I'm the only one that think Sherryl (or Saerya) pay some street thugs to attack Lucas and Leonard just for make them be saved by Ian (probably an ally of the spy)? In these way Harris (and not only him) will be in debt with Ian making him kinght of the House (and Sherry/Saerya will have a strong ally inside the protectors of the city)

Btw really good Pov,I like it!

• [Agree to help Ian]

• Like I write in my other post I think that Sherryl/Saerya pay the thugs to attack our heroes just for make Ian (an ally) save them,in that way Harris (and not only him) will be in debt with the savior and making him knight of the House (and Sherry/Saerya will have a strong ally inside the protectors of the city)

[Agree to help Ian] A debt must be paid. The thug mentioned a 'she' the only people I can think of are Sheryll and Saerya, not sure why either of them would order their deaths, or use common thugs for that matter.

• [Agree to help Ian]

• [Agree to help Ian]

• [Agree to help Ian]

Great part!

• [Agree to help Ian]

• [Agree to help Ian] I wont be different with my vote.

• [Agree to help Ian]

• [Agree to help Ian] Great part, it's so sad to read Lucas PoV's now though, he has understandably come very bitter.

• I love it when good guys go dark side XD I'm not saying I don't feel bad for Lucas, because I do. I'm just really into falling into darkness kind of storylines. Know what I mean?

[Agree to help Ian] Great part, it's so sad to read Lucas PoV's now though, he has understandably come very bitter.

• Yeah, and Lucas' evolution has so far been probably the most interesting of the PoV characters so I'm totally not complaining :D

I love it when good guys go dark side XD I'm not saying I don't feel bad for Lucas, because I do. I'm just really into falling into darkness kind of storylines. Know what I mean?

• [Agree to help Ian]

• I have a really bad feeling about this. But I'm not gonna risk lucas Life on the theory that this guy could be betray him. Sooo yea.
    [Agree to help Ian]

• The Voting is closed!

Lucas will agree to help Ian

While I have expected this decision to be in favour of Ian, I haven't expected it to be unanimous. But well, in the end it was. Everyone of you has decided to help Ian. As I said before, this was an important choice. The arrival of another knight in Raylansfair might have important consequences. Naturally and obviously, Ian has a backstory as well, something which will be revealed soon. Afterwards, you can decide for yourself if helping him now was the right decision or a mistake.

The next part will be out today. It will feature a Raenna PoV. The last time we saw Raenna, she, Terroma and Samuel prepared for their coming infiltration of Butterfly's headquarters underneath the Hightower, in order to free Kersea's sister. Samuel had the job to locate someone who could guide them through the labyrinth and he indeed found someone with the knowledge and the apparent willingness to risk Butterfly's wrath. This person was none other than Samuel Harrington, Butterfly's top enforcer and quite likely, his most dangerous underling. It is also going to be quite confusing to have both Samuels in this story in the same storyline, but well, it was kinda inevitable. Because of this, Samuel Puffer is going to be referred to as 'Samuel', while Samuel Harrington is going to be referred to as 'Harrington', at least in Raenna's PoV. Anyways, Raenna had the choice to either accompany Terroma to a meeting with Harrington, during which the former wanted to find out the latters reason to turn against Butterfly, or to accompany Samuel to a house in the city which contains one of the entrances into the Hightower and which Samuel is supposed to clear. Raenna decided to accompany Terroma, as she is understandably wary when it comes to Harrington's intentions. This however means that Samuel is now left alone to kill an unknown amount of enemies. It remains to be seen if this was a wise choice.

• I look forward for these kind of situations:"Samuel in danger will be save by Samuel but the truth is that Samuel is a traitor and will try to kill Samuel making Samuel hate Samuel"

The Voting is closed! Lucas will agree to help Ian While I have expected this decision to be in favour of Ian, I haven't expected it t

• Raenna

“I'm worried for Samuel”, Terroma remarked calmly, as he and Raenna walked through the crowded streets of Oldtown. As always, Raenna was wearing a hood when stepping outside and this time, she even checked twice to prevent any strands of hair from peeking out underneath it. Similarly, Terroma was wearing a short, hooded cloak, to conceal his identity to anyone who might recognize him.

Raenna looked up as he spoke, raising an eyebrow as she glanced at him. “He's a trained killer”, she answered. “If he's only half as good as his father, then he's going to be fine” It wasn't a very convincing attempt at calming him down, but for Raenna's standards, it was pretty good.

“He's better than his father, but don't tell him”, Terroma said and for the third time in two minutes, he glanced over his shoulder. “It would only get to his head. And you know...” He was going to continue, but Raenna did him the favour of finishing his sentence instead. “A proud assassin turns into a reckless assassin and a reckless assassin won't live for long, I know”, she said.

It had been one of his earliest lessons, one Raenna had always tried to follow. She wasn't proud of her line of work. It had been one of the reasons why she tried to leave it. At the same time, she wasn't ashamed of it, because she knew, the moment she would allow herself to feel guilt, she would end up like Kersea.

“Old Man, can I ask you a question?”, she mumbled, just as Terroma turned away from the large main street, into a smaller side street that was supposed to lead them to their rendezvous point with Harrington. He gave her a curious nod and she let out a sigh. “Your retirement... how was it?

A tired smirk appeared on Terroma's face. “Quiet”, he answered. “Peaceful. A kind of life I could have never seen myself in, but nonetheless a kind of life I enjoyed” He paused for a moment, apparently lost in thoughts, but just as she wanted to break the silence, he continued. “To answer your next question, I doubt you would have enjoyed such a life”

“Why's that?”, Raenna asked, even though she got a rough idea what he was going to answer. “Because you came here”, Terroma answered. “You had a chance to go anywhere in this world. A small village in the Vale perhaps. Or a farm in the North. When I tried to get out of my old life, I chose Braavos, a merchant's city for a merchant's life. You, my sweet Raenna, chose Oldtown”

Raenna opened her mouth to protest against his accusation, but immediately closed it as she realized that there was no good argument in her favour. She had travelled to Oldtown to find work, but deep down, she had always known what kind of skills were required for most types of work here. A frustrated groan forced its way out of her throat.

“Once this is over, I will leave”, she mumbled and Terroma gave her a nod. “Indeed you will”, he confirmed. “But where do you plan to go next? Gulltown? Volantis? Yunkai?” Raenna shook her head. “Listen, I know it wasn't the best decision to come here”, she admitted. “At least don't make me regret that I agreed to help you” She let out a sigh. “To answer your question... this time, I think I'll stay with Kersea”, she explained. “I should have never left her alone with these... with Clayton and Alysanne, but I knew that she would never leave them without her sister”

“Which is something we're about to care for”, Terroma interjected and pointed at a narrow house to his left. “Coincidentally, we're here. Keep your blade ready, but only use it if Harrington gives us a reason to”

With these words, he approached the small door of the house, while Raenna put a hand onto the hilt of her dagger. She wasn't sure why someone like Samuel Harrington was willing to betray his employer. From the little Terroma had told her about this man, she got the opinion that he had an excellent reputation, for a sellsword at least. Not the kind of reputation someone would risk by turning against his employer for no reason.

Terroma slowly knocked against the door and gave Raenna a look that told her to stay on alert. Then, he took a step back himself, glancing at the door, while moving his own hand closer to the small knife on his belt. So they stood, waiting for a few seconds, until the door got opened, barely, to allow someone from the inside to peek at them. “Old Man?”, a raspy voice asked and Terroma gave him a nod. “Harrington?”, he asked in return.

Finally, the door was fully opened, revealing a man in his early thirties. He was taller than Raenna and Terroma, which wasn't exactly an accomplishment. Aside from his slightly above average height, he was looking truly unremarkable, a desirable trait in Raenna's eyes. Nothing about him really caught her eye, from his dark brown hair to his blue eyes. Yet, in his simplicity he managed to surround himself with a calm aura of danger.

“Greetings”, Terroma said and took a short bow in front of Harrington. Unlike Raenna, he didn't seem to be impressed in the slightest. She realized that he was able to have the same aura at times, that his average appearance only further helped with making him uncomfortably dangerous. “My name is Terroma, this is Raenna”, he introduced them and pointed at Raenna. Harrington narrowed his eyes as he glanced at her. Then he stepped aside, allowing them to enter the house.

Without hesitating, Terroma stepped past him, but as Raenna approached, Harrington extended his arm to block her way. “Are you his bodyguard, or are you just here to look good?”, he growled. The tone of his voice made it clear that he wasn't complimenting her appearance. “Both”, Raenna answered coldly, before she forcibly pushed herself past him. The fact that she succeeded was something she begrudgingly attributed to him allowing her to enter.

Samuel Harrington's house, if it was his house at all, was rundown, almost empty and one of the more outstanding examples of poverty Raenna had ever encountered in her life. While a stairway led up to a second floor, the first floor consisted only of a single, completely unfurnished room. There was a window, but it was nailed-up, allowing only a few rays of sunlight to find their way into the room. Still, the leather vest Harrington was wearing was in excellent shape and he was wearing a ring and a necklace. He obviously wasn't a poor man. Well... she knew she wasn't in the position to judge someone's lifestyle choices.

“Puffer told you the details?”, Harrington asked as he closed the door behind him. Terroma gave him a nod, as he looked around the room. His gaze rested on the stairway for a moment, before he visibly relaxed. “We're alone”, he stated and Harrington raised an eyebrow. “Have you suspected otherwise?”, he asked. “Listen, if I want to lure you into a trap, I wouldn't need henchmen”

“We got it”, Raenna stated as she slowly removed her hood. “You are dangerous. So very dangerous that we can be lucky to be alive in your terrifying presence” Seeing how calm Terroma was helped a lot with her own nervousness. Harrington though of himself as dangerous? Well, she had the most dangerous man on the entire continent with her.

Harrington was visibly taken aback by her boldness, yet not angered. Instead the hint of a smirk formed on his face as he glanced at her hair. “The famous arrogance of the Dragonlords”, he chuckled. “I suppose you've come here to find out more about my motives for helping you”

Raenna gave him the hint of a nod. “Indeed”, she confirmed. “Samuel Harrington. Also know as 'Fang of Shadows'. You have a reputation to be deadly, efficient, and most importantly, loyal. So, help us understand it. Why would you risk such a reputation?”

Samuel let out a sigh as he leant against the wall. “First of all, I never did my line of work for the money. I did it to build up connections, people who could help me in accomplishing a very specific task”, he explained. “And yes, I am loyal. Always and without question, as long as I work for a certain employer. My loyalty helps me in building up these connections”

“And now you are willing to betray Butterfly”, Terroma stated. “You have to forgive us that we are wary about your intentions. Both of us are wanted by your employer” This time, Samuel actually hesitated, before he looked at Raenna. “I knew about the old man. But you... you're that silverhaired demon that killed three of our men a week ago, right?”

“That was me indeed”, Raenna confirmed. “ And your men had it coming. They provoked and started the fight and I gave them more than enough chances to back out” Even though she didn't want it, for the first time since she entered the house, she had to smirk. “Silver-haired demon, huh? Not quite the name I would have chosen”

“And what kind of name would you have chosen instead?”, Harrington asked. This time, Raenna raised an eyebrow. “Raenna”, she answered. “I don't have it with the nicknames. And you are trying to change the subject. Your reason for betraying Butterfly, we want to hear it”

Harrington looked away from her, towards Terroma, who was watching the conversation in silence. “Fine”, he growled. “But what if you don't like the answer?” This time, Terroma answered first. “Then we're going to search for a new guide”, he said.

“Good luck finding one”, Harrington answered. “Butterfly's men are the most loyal I've ever seen. They don't talk, partially because they fear him, partially because they respect him and partially because he pays better than anyone else this side of the Narrow Sea” He paused, noticing Raenna's impatient glare. “But I suppose that does not answer your question”

He paused again and this time, Raenna saw something that she hadn't expected. For a moment, the tense aura of danger around him faded. For a moment, he seemed to hesitate. “You've said it yourself, I have a reputation for loyalty. Out of all of Butterfly's men, I am the one he trusts the most”, he explained. “Now you can imagine my disappointment when I found out how he betrayed my loyalty...” He stopped talking and pressed his lips together, an upset expression flashing across his face. “But that is none of your business”

“And I'm afraid I indeed don't like this answer”, Terroma said. “You're oddly vague for a man that expects us to trust him. Young man, if this is going to work, I have to know what you want from us inside of that labyrinth. As you said before, you don't do it for the money”

“I'm doing it to find someone”, Harrington explained again and his voice started to get more agitated as he continued. “His identity is none of your business. Butterfly promised me to find him in exchange for my service. I accepted. Now I have received hints that he is tricking me. That he is withholding the information about my bro...” He stopped, his fists clenched tightly and the glare he shot at Terroma was truly murderous. “As I said, none of your business. I just want to find out if the hints I received are true. For that, I need to enter a few areas of the labyrinth I am not allowed in. Areas where I could need professionals to help me. I'm good, but I'm not suicidal”

“So, you have nothing”, Raenna summarized. “No proof that you are honest with us. And yet you're expecting us to trust you” As he heard this, Harrington shook his head. “I absolutely don't expect you to trust me”, he answered. “I simply expect you to be too desperate for help to turn me down”

He and Terroma exchanged a glance and Raenna knew, he was right. They needed his help and as much as she hated it, they had little choice here. It was either accepting his help or abandoning the whole plan, because she knew that going into the labyrinth without a guide would essentially be suicide.

“What do you think?”, she asked as she glanced at Terroma. Unlike her, his calmness was entirely genuine. He looked at Harrington as if he had encountered an old friend. “You are hiding something from us, but I'm okay with it. I'm not here to learn about your life story”, he said. “But you are genuinely angry at Butterfly. Whatever game you are playing, I doubt it's his”

“I play my own game”, Harrington explained. “For a while, my goals aligned with Butterfly's. But if my sources told me the truth, then he did something unforgivable. In such a case, he made a dangerous mistake” He glanced at Raenna's hand, which was still clinging onto the hilt of her dagger, then back at Terroma. “So, do we have our agreement? I help you to get to this specific point in the labyrinth and you help me in confirming the information I am looking for”

While Raenna was still reluctant to trust him, Terroma's apparent willingness made it easier for her to relax as her mentor nodded in agreement. “We have a deal”, he confirmed. A pleased expression appeared on Harrington's face as he heard this. “Good. You won't regret it if I won't regret it”, he said. “Though, I think I should know what you are looking for in the Hightower”

“You should”, Terroma agreed. “We're talking about this on the way. My associate Samuel Puffer is about to secure one of Butterfly's entrances into the labyrinth” Immediately, Harrington gave him an alarmed glare. “Which one?”, he asked, as Terroma walked past him and out of the building. He followed and finally, Raenna left the building as well, after she had pulled her hood up again.

She made sure that Harrington would walk between them, so that she was always able to have an eye on him. Just seeing him walk was enough to make her revaluate her previous opinion about Butterfly's men. The ones she had fought against in the tavern, they have been mere thugs. Dangerous only in very large numbers, the kind of people that preferred to prey on the weak, the kind of people Raenna always despised. Samuel on the other hand moved in a way that reminded her of Clayton. Cautious, always vigilant and tensed up in a way that showed her that this man was ready to kill.

Trust never came naturally for Raenna. She knew, this was likely to blame on her upbringing. Having to hide in her mothers brothel for the first decade of her life, always living with the fear of being killed by her uncle, the Dragonlord, surely didn't help. She had slept with a knife in her hands the first months after she had met Terroma and it took her even longer to fully trust him. With Harrington, she knew that she would never fully trust him. Something about him gave her an uneasy feeling, caused her to tense up. There was something about him that reminded her of Clayton.

“Near the docks”, Terroma explained. “A large, three-story house. About a dozen guards, according to Samuel” He turned from a side street onto the main street and Raenna saw that Harrington finally understood where they were heading. “I know the place. The two beggars in front of it are Solvers as well, so the actual amount of guards is a little bit higher than a dozen”, he confirmed. “Are you sure your man is good enough to take them on?”

“I hope so...”, Terroma mumbled glumly. “This building, does it indeed contain an entrance into the Hightower?” Harrington gave him a nod “Yes indeed”, he confirmed. “One of the better guarded, to be precise, but also one that is going to lead us into the heart of the labyrinth, if you know the way” He paused as he narrowed his eyes. “What exactly do you expect to find there?”

“A young girl”, Raenna explained. “About ten years old, eleven maybe. Most likely, she has dark hair” This time, Harrington let out a sigh. “So you're after Briar Catelins”, he deduced and as he noticed her surprised expression, he shook his head in an almost amused fashion. “The only child that is kept in one of our holding cells. Do not worry, she's fine, at least she was fine the last time I saw her. Butterfly has his flaws, but he is not savage enough to hurt her without reason”

A smirk formed on his face as he looked at Terroma. “So you're about to take his favourite toy away from him”, he grinned and immediately, an almost shocked expression flashed over his face as he realized what he just implied, directly matching the shocked expression on Raenna's face. “His assassins, I mean!”, Harrington clarified hastily. “The only reason Briar Catelins is of any worth to anyone is because of her sister, Kersea. If you want to free Briar, I guess you're looking for a way to destroy Butterfly's little group of assassins”

“As a matter of fact, they have been my group of assassins, before Clayton sold himself to this Butterfly”, Terroma explained. “The things he is doing right now... Back in my days, we had honour” This statement caused Harrington to outright smile for a moment. “The honour of an assassin. Is it any different from the nonexistent honour of a sellsword?”, he asked and continued, as soon as he realized that Terroma wouldn't give him an answer on this. “You are a strange man, Terroma” His tone made it impossible for Raenna to see if it was mockery, a genuine compliment or simply a statement.

Terroma lead them through the crowded streets, mostly in silence. Raenna had no urge to speak and she knew, neither had Harrington or Terroma. This alliance, whatever it was, it was shaky at best, although she started to consider that Harrington had indeed been honest about his intentions. While he certainly wasn't a trustworthy man, he also didn't appear to be a liar.

“Something is not right”, Harrington mumbled as he looked around. Terroma gave him a curious glance and stopped walking. “What is it?”, he asked. “We're almost there, we shouldn't stop now” Again, Harrington simply looked around, although he did it more subtly than Raenna had expected. “Usually, a guard should be here”, he explained. “And another one is supposed to stay guard a little bit down the street”

The moment they turned into a smaller street, Raenna herself noticed that something wasn't right. The whole street was empty, despite the fact that it should be crowded during these hours. She didn't even saw any beggars, which was especially unusual for a city like Oldtown.

“The house up there”, Harington explained. “As I said, two guards in front, usually at least” The house he pointed at, a large, three-story house with a small backalley leading behind it, was suspiciously unguarded as well and he looked rather impressed about it. “Wether or not your man is dead, he already did a better job than I imagined”

For a very short moment, Terroma gave Harrington a glare of utter fury, before he regained composure. “Any advice how we're going to approach it?”, he asked. Harrington narrowed his eyes as he glanced at the backalley. “If you go down this way, you're going to end up in a backyard. Usually, there is supposed to be a guard, but something tells me you won't encounter any problems”

Terromma nodded calmly. “I'll do it. What about you?”, he asked. This time, Harrington smirked as he focussed his gaze on the door. “This is one of Butterfly's houses. I'm one of Butterfly's most trusted men. I won't sneak into this house like a thief in the night. Instead, I'm just going to walk up there and I'm going to knock on the door. If no one answers, I'm going to unlock the door”, he explained and reached into his pocket, only to reveal a large, iron key. “After all, I have every right to be there. As long as we don't encounter the Tom, no one is going to ask questions”

“And what am I supposed to do?”, Raenna asked. Harrington gave her an estimating look. “I suppose you can choose”, he answered as he exchanged a glance with Terroma, who gave them a nod. “Indeed, sweet Raenna. You can infiltrate the building together with me, or you stay with Harrington, to...” He cut himself off, but Harrington finished the sentence instead. “To make sure that I don't turn against you”, the sellsword said with a grim tone in his voice.

[Go with Terroma] [Go with Harrington]

• [Go with Terroma] Yeah I guess so. Still don't trust him.

Raenna “I'm worried for Samuel”, Terroma remarked calmly, as he and Raenna walked through the crowded streets of Oldtown. As always, Raen

• edited January 2016

Excellent Pov! I really like that you are giving Samuel more importance! (I still remember at the beginning of the story when he was just evildude#167 XD)
    About the choice:
    [Go with Terroma] I think that,since Harrington recognize Raenna and know of the fight at the tavern (aka probably all the men of Butterfly know that), the most safe choice is to follow the Old Man (we know that Samuel will not have any kind of problems alone plus he will probably like that Raenna choice to left him some space and I think that,when the game will be hard,we will need to be in "The fang of shadow" good side)

PS:I want to add that,if Raenna follow Harrington,not only the mercenary will be displaead but if we encounter some resistance now(like the Alley Cats) Samuel will be discovered like traitor even before our heroes enter to the labyrinth

Raenna “I'm worried for Samuel”, Terroma remarked calmly, as he and Raenna walked through the crowded streets of Oldtown. As always, Raen

Sign in to comment in this discussion.