Monkey Island 5?

edited December 2009 in Tales of Monkey Island
So i think that telltale/lucasarts should make Monkey Island 5 next. Telltale has said that ToMI is situated after the events of an imaginary MI5.

The game should cover up all whats happened between MI4 and ToMI, an explanation to all that cursed cutlass of Kaflu and that Rock of Gelato stuff. Maybe it could involve some of Gilberts old school ideas and more Monkey Island itself in it!

What do you guys think?

Comments

• edited December 2009
    I think it's best to not reveal the exact happenings between EMI en TMI

A lot of the jokes in TMI play with the fact that nobody knows what happens but that they had some crazy adventures (Dance of Hades, Killer Walrus LeChuck)

Plus, TMI IS MI5, people just need to accept that some time has passed since EMI. It's strange to me that so many people find this hard to accept, there's alot of emptyness between MI1 and 2 as well...
  • edited December 2009
    TMI is NOT MI5. Telltale has said that its an individual game set after the time of MI5 and that it should NOT be confused with MI5
  • edited December 2009
    It's a game in which LeChuck's form is a Walrus and it ends just after you assemble the Cutlass and head off to kill LeChuck's zombie form. Not really exciting.

Also: They never "confirmed" it was "after" MI5, it was a joke, and I'm sure someone else can quote Jake's post on that matter so I don't have to dig it up.
  • edited December 2009
    Rather, I would rather think that "Killer Walrus LeChuck" is more of a joke than the whole MI5 itself.

I can clearly see that you guys dont want to see an MI5. I would, but everyone is entitled to their opinions.

How about others?
  • edited December 2009
    The next Monkey Island being MI5 would be very silly, and not in a good and/or funny way.
  • edited December 2009
    There is this interview with Dave Grossman from before the release of chapter1 where he says that "they're not doing a MI5, because they figured that a MI5 needs to be a blockbuster epic 40 h experience like the earlier games were" but from my point of view, that's pretty much exactly what they have managed to create, despite the fact that it was an episodic release concept. The real problem was, I think, picking up the story from the end of the catastrophy "EMI" (sorry, being harsh, I know). After all, if you count the references to each previous MI game in TOMI, you'll find that EMI clearly loses here.

Even if TOMI officially isn't considered MI5, I wouldn't want to jump back "just a little" to see a chaotic pick up story between EMI and TOMI. Instead, it might be a good idea to REALLY go back in time, telling the prestory to Monkey Island (though I have to admit I don't know how to implement that since we all would want to play Guybrush himself, and Guybrush has not been one of the first characters in the Monkey Island history).
  • edited December 2009
    Monkey Island games haven't been numbered since 2, infact, that's the only game to have a number, so this whole conversation is pointless. The games just have names not numbers. Tales of, Curse of, Secret of etc.

If you want to number them in the order they came out, that's up to you. In which case Tales would be number 5. :)
  • edited December 2009
    er.... TTG has said the whole MI5 in between thing was a joke, and basically told us it is okay to consider TMI MI5
  • edited December 2009
    I would hope there is a way to kill this particular subject that keeps coming up every few weeks... ;)
  • edited December 2009
    Otis wrote: »
    So i think that telltale/lucasarts should make Monkey Island 5 next. Telltale has said that ToMI is situated after the events of an imaginary MI5.

The game should cover up all whats happened between MI4 and ToMI, an explanation to all that cursed cutlass of Kaflu and that Rock of Gelato stuff. Maybe it could involve some of Gilberts old school ideas and more Monkey Island itself in it!

What do you guys think?

Monkey Island 5, wherin LeChuck is reincarnated as a demonic walrus and the game cuts off before their final confrontation?

Yeah, I'm sticking with ToMI=MI5.
  • edited December 2009
    the whole walrus pirate lechuck thing isn't MI5, its just simply stuff that happened in between MI4 and TOMI, which starts at the conclusion of all those happenings. there is always gaps with happenings that are absolutely ridiculous in between games, this is no different, just enjoyable nonsense.
  • edited December 2009
    TMI is NOT MI5. Telltale has said that its an individual game set after the time of MI5 and that it should NOT be confused with MI5

No they didn't. That was a joke and they have since said so. Tales is MI5. Telltale, would you just put a friggin sticky up stating Tales is MI5 already!
  • edited December 2009
    Eduardo wrote: »
    I would hope there is a way to kill this particular subject that keeps coming up every few weeks... ;)

Yes. But I wonder where all the gold in Guybrush pocket in LCR comes from... Maybe Tales are MI7, and there is one more game missing? ; )
  • edited December 2009
    Novotnus wrote: »
    Yes. But I wonder where all the gold in Guybrush pocket in LCR comes from... Maybe Tales are MI7, and there is one more game missing? ; )

Ah, the mythical Monkey Island 2.5, with the growing of the beard, the break up and all that money...
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2009
    We've said a few times that we consider Tales to be the fifth Monkey Island game, in canon along with all the other craziness the last 20 years have brought. If you don't, that's definitely your prerogative. There are people who write off anything past Monkey 2, or anything past Monkey 3, etc, and you obviously can't control that.
  • edited December 2009
    Jake wrote: »
    We've said a few times that we consider Tales to be the fifth Monkey Island game, in canon along with all the other craziness the last 20 years have brought. If you don't, that's definitely your prerogative. There are people who write off anything past Monkey 2, or anything past Monkey 3, etc, and you obviously can't control that.

Sticky that statement or something, for the love of the Pirate God.

And call it "Tales is Monkey Island 5, so just deal with it, maggots." and post a picture of Roddy Piper giving the finger at the end of They Live or something having to do with Chuck Norris as the post content. That's not me trying to praise your game or get on your good side, that's me being a pompous git about it because I'm tired of reading so many posts of people not knowing what they're bloody talking about all the time.
  • edited December 2009
    Ah, the mythical Monkey Island 2.5, with the growing of the beard, the break up and all that money...

Thad'd be 1.5 : ) And there is a fangame that covers that period.
  • edited December 2009
    Novotnus wrote: »
    Thad'd be 1.5 : ) And there is a fangame that covers that period.

Oh right, I got truly distracted by something shiny... ;)

I may regret asking this, but... Devil's Triangle you mean?
  • edited December 2009
    I may regret asking this, but... Devil's Triangle you mean?

Yes it is : )
    [and there was one - Prisoner of Monkey Island - as 2.5, but that is probably dead]
  • edited December 2009
    Tales is MI5. Just because a load of stuff went by undocumented between games doesn't mean that Tales isn't MI5. What about the years between Star Wars Episodes I and II?
  • edited December 2009

I laugh because I don't know if you are joking or just being funny! lol...:eek:
  • edited December 2009
    Let's not forget the beginning of CMI: How the hell did Guybrush manage to be adrift at sea in a bumper car? So TMI must be MI8! :p Oh... Sorry, I forgot about "The Honeymoon of Monkey Island" (between CMI and EMI), so Tales is really MI9!! :D
  • edited December 2009
    Not this again, that after MI5 thing was a joke, you know why, BECAUSE IT'S BEEN SO DAMN LONG SINCE EMI, the characters have obviously moved on and matured and done things behind the scenes.

If you want to know what that is then maybe we should get a game detailing how Guybrush escapes from the Carnival or how he first heard about Big Whoop and split up from Elaine.
  • edited December 2009
    Ash735 wrote: »
    If you want to know what that is then maybe we should get a game detailing how Guybrush escapes from the Carnival or how he first heard about Big Whoop and split up from Elaine.

Thus "The Lost Tales of Monkey Island" is born! :D
  • edited December 2009
    Thank you Jake for letting me know that ToMI is actually an MI5 as I did not know that before, because im new here in this forum.

And you people who put those arrogant idiotic comments that a game between EFMI and ToMI would have some demonic walrus LeChuck in it, you are childish and cannot produce proper arguments. If those comments were jokes, they were bad jokes, and if you guys meant what you said it seems you cant tell apart an in-game joke from what a real MI game would be, as a walrus LeChuck would be totally unnecessary.

And besides ToMI had some extremely weird manatee mating, manatee ichor shit hole stuff and perverted vaycaylian people :D so after that a walrus LeChuck wouldnt even sound too bad :D
  • edited December 2009
    Yes I would accept MI5. Let's have it. Thanks.
  • edited December 2009
    You dare to suggest a game WITHOUT WINSLOW?

Shun the non-believer!
    Shuuuun
    Shuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun

Oh, and I'd really miss Morgan too.
  • edited December 2009
    This has been discussed endless times before.. But to sum it up, Tales is Monkey Island 5. What Telltale meant when they said it was technically MI6, is that they wanted to start the game off in a more dramatic way.

Going back to seeing this previous adventure would be very pointless, we already know how it ends, and it was never intended to be a serious part of the story. It was just something created purely to build up the drama in the opening and to make it seem as if there's been more adventures inbetween, and to make it feel that Guybrush has actually been doing something in the last 8 or 9 years.

If Telltale do make another game eventually, it'll almost certainly be set AFTER Tales and will be Monkey Island 6.
  • edited December 2009
    And you people who put those arrogant idiotic comments that a game between EFMI and ToMI would have some demonic walrus LeChuck in it, you are childish and cannot produce proper arguments. If those comments were jokes, they were bad jokes, and if you guys meant what you said it seems you cant tell apart an in-game joke from what a real MI game would be, as a walrus LeChuck would be totally unnecessary.

Yup, but if there was a game between EMI and ToMI without a demonic walrus LeChuck the in-joke would lose it's point...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.