Forum of Thrones: An Interactive Story

Comments

• The Serpent and The Slave: Part 2: The Forest

Slowly, Vaasrand approached the wild beast, his sword glistened as he unsheathed It, the beast awoke, and with it came a frightening howl that boomed across the heavens. They circled each other, Vaasrand’s sword pointing right at it, while the beast readied its attack. It struck first, its claws meeting his sword, they clashed again as sword met claw, and then finally the beast had broken Vaasrand’s defence, the colossal figure charged with a look of terror, and pounded into Vaasrand’s chest, he fell, he tasted blood dripping from his mouth as the beast ravaged his now broken body. Is this what death feels like, he thought as the beast finished tearing out his throat.

And then he awoke, breathing heavily, Vaasrand frequently had dreams like this, he never knew what they meant, or why he had them, he always hated them even if they were only dreams. Before getting up he looked around, it was still dark and Marionette was asleep, behind Marion were walls filled with paintings of old Yitish legends, Bloodstone Emperor, and such others, from what Vaasrand had seen most legends were true, surprisingly Prince Dyon was one of these paintings, which was odd, this painting was sombre, surprising for Yi Ti, he could barely see it amidst the darkness but one thing stood out. His eyes, Dyon always had puzzling eyes, ones which Vaasrand thought he had seen before, although he had only known Dyon for two years, however it felt like a lifetime.

After examining the room, Vaasrand got up quietly, he took of his cloak, and moved closer to the window, without making any noise he slowly walked past Marion, she was out cold, looking as peaceful as the night sky, he reached the window, and moved out onto the balcony, it was cold, but Vaasrand ignored it, as the brisk wind bashed against his bare chest, his silver hair flowing with it.

The city was more than visible from this high up, Vaasrand thought he had most of the city mapped out, he was wrong, the festival was mostly over at this time of night, with only a few drunkards wandering the streets, the city was old, but its wealth made it look brand new, he wasn’t sure if the city was made of gold but it sure looked like it, it surely was beautiful, and well defended. With its immense, stone walls, with pillars sticking out every mile across it, it was impenetrable, Yin almost took up half of Yi Ti, Vaasrand was sure of it.

Soon after scouting the city, a loud yawn could be heard, it must be Marion, he was hoping she would go back to sleep, she didn’t.

“Vaasrand?” Marion’s voice could be heard, out of the corner of his eye, he could see her, she wasn’t wearing much, some breeches, and a shirt that barely covered her arms, and without her plate armour she looked a lot smaller than expected, Vaasrand had to admit she did have a great body.

“Yes.” Vaasrand responded, just as he said this Marion walked beside him, and looked over the balcony “It’s beautiful” she said with a look of excitement upon her face, she turned to Vaasrand and asked “Why are you up so early, it’s not even daylight yet, sur- “he cut her off.

“Couldn’t sleep…nightmare” he explained poorly, hoping she wouldn’t question him further.

“We can talk about it” she said, “What happened?”

He didn’t want to talk about this subject but Marion was persistent, “I got killed again” he said bluntly before continuing, “Beasts, they’re always killing me in my dreams.”

“They’re just dreams” she said, before touching his shoulder, Vaasrand somewhat liked this. He wasn’t used to affection.
    “That’s the thing, they feel real” Vaasrand said as he started slowly walking back into the bedroom, Marion followed, “Like I’m getting eaten alive, it’s never felt more real than today.”

“How does it feel?” Marion asked intrigued, Vaasrand knew how to answer this one as it was a feeling he knew too well.

“Powerless. You have no control, while this thing is decimating your remains” It reminded him of his time in Asshai, 19 years he spent there, that was the place that made him this way, sterile, and demon like, that is the way everyone looked at him, the torture there was relentless, if only he could see those damn Pyromancers again he would butcher them all. For a moment Vaasrand thought about mentioning Asshai to Marion, but decided against it, “What about you, how are you?”

“I don’t know, I came here with Lord Wroth and a few other soldiers, now there probably all dead.” Vaasrand noticed how sad she sounded as she said this.

“You said you were attacked near Tiqui, right?” Vaasrand intended to help this girl, maybe it was the one thing he could do right.

“Yes, they came out of nowhere, most of our men were dead before I could even unsheathe my sword, so I just ran, and then Dyon and Tsou came and saved me.” She said with a look of worry on her face, Dyon, there was something of about him, how could he have been there at just the right time, “Where are the bodies?” Vaasrand questioned her.

“There are only 2 bodies, Lord Wroth is missing and we have to find him.” She said again with a worried tone, maybe mentioning the attack was a bad idea, she seems to get upset over it. “I will find him, I promise.” Vaasrand said in a serious tone. Marion looked shocked by his answer.

“You will find him? What about we? I thought we were going together.” Vaasrand had decided against taking her, as it was too dangerous.

“I’ve changed my mind, taking you with me would prove dangerous for you,” she didn’t like this answer but he continued “I can’t assure your safety if you were to come.”

“What am I meant to do in the meantime, who knows how long you’ll be gone?” she said disapproving of his decision.

“You’ll be in the city, safe, away from danger, there are many things you can do here.”

“Like what.”

“You’ll find something.” He finished just as he realized the sun had come up. “Time I was off, it’s daylight now. You look after yourself, alright.” He finished touching her back as he left.

Vaasrand wore his leather jerkin, with his bastard sword sheathed across his back, and his hair tied into a ponytail. He decided to look at the bodies before he left, the room they were held in wasn’t far from his own, he walked past pillars and a few guardsmen as he approached the room.

The room was small, only containing the bodies, and a furnace, they were about to burn the bodies from what Vaasrand could tell, they were both wearing chainmail, and a blue tabard with a rift on it, he looked at the smaller guard first, a leg was missing and so were some of his ribs, he examined the ribs first, they were basilisk bites and deep ones at that, it tore straight through the chainmail, easily dispatching of the bone. Vaasrand observed the man’s leg next, it wasn’t a clean bite, it was rough and messy, biting just under the knee, clearly the man was struggling against the basilisk right before it tore of his leg, then it went for the rib cage since the man was already dead it had no resistance.

The larger man’s wounds were more severe, in fact he was split in half by the waist, they hadn’t even retrieved his legs, half of his face was missing and so was an arm. Vaasrand inspected the waist first, it was a clean bite, much like the rib wound, of course the basilisks were gnawing at his legs first, but his legs were missing so Vaasrand couldn’t confirm this. He then moved on to the man’s arm, the arm was gone and huge teeth marks could be seen, the basilisk had almost taken the man’s spine with this bite. These basilisks were highly aggressive, the man’s face further proved this, the basilisk had bitten just under the face, his teeth, jaw, chin and nose were completely removed, it had even bitten into part of his left eye with only little of it remaining, the pupil, and the iris were gone, this sort of wound Vaasrand had not seen in some time, and even he cringed back a little.

These basilisks were strong, most likely full-grown males, well one of them at least, and highly aggressive, they ambushed Lord Wroth and his men, but somehow Marion got away, Vaasrand couldn’t lie he was still suspicious about how she escaped without a scratch. He was unsure if he would run into the exact basilisks that attacked these men, but if he did he would avenge them, he was searching the attack site anyway.

With this Vaasrand left, he had received the information he needed, and knew what sort of Basilisks to look out for, and where to search. He began exiting the palace as he walked down the stairs, he wondered if he should speak with the god-emperor, he didn’t and continued down the steps, he walked past the commander’s room and Prince Dyon’s, as he left both their rooms shined as he went by, mostly Dyon’s.

He exited the Palace and walked past the garden, it looked even prettier at this time of day, with the sun shining upon it, the guards still filled the place even if most of Yin remained in bed, these guards never seemed to sleep, or even move, he walked down the giant steps to leave the Palace, again it took him three minutes.

The city was mostly inactive at this time aside from guards and merchants stocking up early, there was mostly no one around, Vaasrand noticed a few drunks from the festival last night but they didn’t bother him, nevertheless he enjoyed the peace and quiet before exiting the city.

The forest was now in front of him, staring at him, watching his every move. The forest was huge, but he did not wander into it just yet, instead he jumped upon his zorse, and continued north towards the attack site, as it trotted along, Vaasrand noticed several things, bees buzzing, birds chirping, snakes hissing, the trees looked different this way, angling sideways instead of upward, which was a sign he was headed for the deeper forest, which is extremely dangerous, lions, manticores, bears and basilisks roam there freely, with no resistance, they mostly stay to the jungle and rarely attack the Yitish, or visitors, which makes this contract odd, since basilisks are attacking whole villages and soldiers, there species usually prefers the bogs, and vines of the jungle, compared to the terrain of footpath, for man and zorse, the trees were tall in Yi Ti blocking everyone’s view, once you wandered into the forest even on footpath, they were at least thirty feet tall, each of them, which made the forest unpredictable and aimless for those who were not Yitish.

Vaasrand was nearing the attack site by now, so he decided to slightly gallop his zorse, not to fast a pace, as he did not want any unnecessary attention from beasts. He could see the attack site by now blood was everywhere, the Yitish had left it just like it was when it happened so Vaasrand could investigate, as he arrived he jumped of his zorse and placed it aside.

There were dead basilisks, that Tsou’s men must have killed, he sniffed the blood before he touched it, since basilisk blood is poisonous, but he noticed. All the blood was human, the basilisks blood was gone, there was no trace of it, this was very suspicious, who would know how to extract basilisks blood, a delicate and precise procedure, an alchemist would, but there weren’t many in Yi Ti, and none that would be able to get the blood from the footpath.

He searched the basilisks next, they were all full-grown as Vaasrand had suspected, but there were a few females there. Basilisks are four legged creatures, which varied in colour from, blue, red, green, to sometimes black, these ones were all green. Some of their species have more than four legs, a six legged one was the toughest Vaasrand ever fought, these ones however were all normal, aside from stab wounds on their backs, which would be hard for most to spot as basilisks have spikes all over their backs, which makes it hard to spot wounds sustained on a basilisks back, Vaasrand however had no trouble spotting these wounds.

Vaasrand tried looking for basilisk footprints, there were none, basilisks are big creatures with heavy feet they would definitely leave prints, especially in a fight.

None of this made sense, the blood was gone, as were the footprints, who would be capable of that, and why, why would anyone want the blood and prints gone. Dyon and Tsou came through here, to save Marion, which of the three could have done this, and why? Could it be Marion? she did seem trustworthy and sweet, but that could be a farce. Dyon was odd, but he hired him for this contract, so he was the least likely. Tsou that prick, he had always hated Vaasrand, Tsou was the most likely to have done this to trick Vaasrand, but how did he extract the blood? Two suspects Marion and Tsou. Or someone else entirely.

Vaasrand had finished searching the scene, still surprised at what he had found, he was now heading for Tiqui as there have been a large amount of basilisk reports around the place. Vaasrand slowly walked to his zorse, the bees were still buzzing, as were the birds chirping. But something was wrong, something the forest wasn’t use to. Fire, Vaasrand smelt fire, he looked around trying to find the burning flames, to the east he found it, shrouded by trees, bushes and vines, was a fire burning bright, Vaasrand didn’t think and dashed toward the flame, through the forest he ran over vines and bushes, not missing a step. He didn’t make it far into the forest before a loud scream could be heard behind him “Argh!!!” the voice sang. It didn’t make sense the fire was in front of him, why was there a cry behind him. Vaasrand had but a second to decide which direction he was going.

[Backtrack to the Voice] [Continue to the Flames]

• Alright, here comes the new set of drawings :) Also, something extra at the end :p

enter image description here

-

So, here is a new bloody portrait of Samantha Ducard =)

• Another great part! I really love these Geralt vibes from Vaasrand, I can totally see it and it's making me enjoy these parts even more. The plot also thickens, which is nice. I'm quite intrigued to see just what is going on there, as it is obviously more than just a simple hunt. If I had to guess, I'd say that the basilisk blood is playing a role in it and considering its typical use, it seems clear that someone wishes to poison someone else. I actually wouldn't be surprised if Marionette has something to do with this. It seems a bit odd that she escaped without any wounds, while the entire rest of her group got killed. Dyon hired Vaasrand, though he could try to use him as a scapegoat for something, while Tsou... hm, it's just a feeling, but I don't think he's actually involved in anything shady, he probably just doesn't like Vaasrand. Or, as Vaasrand said, someone else entirely, whom we haven't yet met.

[Backtrack to the Voice]

If there is someone who needs help, then it might be a good idea to check it out. At best, he might even gain a new friend/ally from this. The fire will probably still be burning by the time he gets there, even if he's probably not learning much from it in that case. But even if he heads there immediately, it is possible that he won't learn anything at all from inspecting it, depending on how long it had been burning already. But by backtracking, he might be able to help someone.

Arrodor posted: »

The Serpent and The Slave: Part 2: The Forest Slowly, Vaasrand approached the wild beast, his sword glistened as he unsheathed It, the be

• [Backtrack to the Voice] It could be Lord Wroth.

The Serpent and The Slave: Part 2: The Forest Slowly, Vaasrand approached the wild beast, his sword glistened as he unsheathed It, the be

• Absolutely amazing! I was highly excited for this set and as always, you managed to even exceed my expectations. In this case, I was also slightly surprised, because my favourite drawing ended up to be Rahaerys, who is arguably the least developed character of this bunch, at least at this point of the story (though he hopefully should get more to do in this chapter). But that said, the other drawings are wonderful as well and certainly among my all-time favourites. As expected, you nailed it with Gordar :) He was actually among the ones where I was not entirely sure how to depict them in my mind, as the golden-ish hair was a bit hard to imagine, but I won't have these problems anymore now. There is Orys the badass, one of the characters I am looking forward for the most in future chapters. A great drawing for a great guy, I think you really captured his somewhat brooding personality. Tariel looks so nice and that suits her a lot, as she looks just how I imagined her. It gives her just the right amount of innocence to make it hard to believe that she is (supposedly) the mastermind behind tricking the Storm King into sending his soldiers to Raylansfair. And finally, Sherryl, probably my second favourite of this set, or maybe even my favourite now that I think about it. I love how she's really giving off Margaery vibes here and in fact, I think she's very much a more ruthless, more directly manipulative Margaery, without any redeeming qualities at all. From the dress to the hair, that drawing is perfectly spot-on.
    And now that portrait. I absolutely did not expect a Samantha portrait, which makes me all the more excited for it. Portraits are always a special treat and since Samantha is definitely one of my favourite characters, this is one of my favourite works from you. Naturally, you did perfectly capture her. That's exactly how I imagined her at the end of her latest part, after the fight and after receiving a beatdown from Rodrik. I really can't wait to write her storyline in this chapter and now I'm even more excited for it =) Thank you very much for the drawings and for the portrait!

Alright, here comes the new set of drawings Also, something extra at the end - So, here is a new bloody portrait of Samantha Ducard

• [Backtrack to the Voice]

• [Backtrack to the Voice]

Another great part! I really love these Geralt vibes from Vaasrand, I can totally see it and it's making me enjoy these parts even more. The

• [Continue to the Flames]

The thing with Marionette is kind of funny. It reminds me of another character who "liked" a bald women.

...That relationship didn't end well.

Hm. Interesting stuff. Foul play definitely.

• edited October 2016

Jenna

Saerya's fingers clenched into the parchment in her hand, as the sound of horns echoed across the courtyard and the city below. Jenna outright froze, since she recognized this sound. The last time the Ironborn had attacked Raylansfair had been before the last winter, when she had been merely a child, but this sound still brought up some of her darkest nightmares.

The two women exchanged a quick glance, before Saerya looked down at the death warrant in her hand. “We will deal with that later”, she decided, before folding it carefully and putting it into the small bag on her belt. “This will help, this will really help in bringing her down, but now...” She did not need to continue. Jenna knew what this would mean. Her thoughts were with her father right now. He was in the forest, as far as she knew. At least he would be safe. They wouldn't attack the farms, right? Still, Jenna was worried. In a single moment, all of her carefully gathered confidence was blown away by the sound of Ironborn horns. She felt surrounded by

“W... What are we doing no... now?”, Jenna asked and her voice was high-pitched. She was breathing heavily, glancing around, shaking. “Gods, what a... are we going t... to do? Ironborn, the Ironborn are coming!” Saerya noticed her panic and quickly put both hands on her shoulders. “First you listen”, she said sternly and instinctively, Jenna remembered a bad memory of Lady Halla. Though in Saerya's stern, blue eyes, there was no hatred. “You calm down, you hear me?”, she continued. “I can't have you going into a panic now”

Jenna took a couple of quick breaths, before she gave Saerya a quick, silent and not very convincing nod. “I'm calm”, she lied and her voice sounded weak, so disgustingly weak. Tears welled up in her eyes, but to her surprise, she saw something else in Saerya's. Before she could react, the other woman had given her a slap right across the face, while still holding her with the other hand, to prevent her from falling down. It wasn't a heavy one, just hard enough to cause her to snap back to her senses.

“No, you are not!”, Saerya barked. “Pull yourself together, I'm going to need your help right now!” For some reason, her slap had not the same effect as the beatings Jenna received at the hands of Halla. The sharp pain in her cheek caused her to become more focussed, even if some of this focus was born out of anger. “M... my help?”, she said and cleared her throat “Why do you need my help?”

Saerya looked her in the eyes and a satisfied smirk formed on her face. “Much better”, she said, before her smirk faded. “You know what Ironborn are going to do to those they capture?” Jenna gave her a nod and felt the tension return. “Carma is out there”, Saerya explained. “I've sent her home” She shook her head and for a moment, Jenna saw that she was nervous as well. “I've made a stupid mistake, thought I'd do her a favour by sending her home to her kids”

“You... you want me to find her?”, Jenna asked and Saerya sighed. “I don't know where she lives”, she admitted. “I've never visited her home. You did, right?” Jenna gave her a quick nod and a smile flashed across Saerya's face. “Good. Then you have to do it”

Jenna gulped audibly. “Why me?”, she asked and Saerya looked serious again. “Because you're the only one who can do it right now. Someone has to find Carma and her kids. Make sure they reach the castle safely”, she answered. “And I'll have to check up on my contact. Daghan is a good man, but I'm afraid he could get himself in trouble, as he always does”

“And I... I'll be all alone in the city?”, Jenna asked. Saerya gave her a soft look. “Listen, I'm not forcing you”, she promised. “But Carma... she's my friend and I think you feel similarly about her. You don't want to leave her to die, do you?”

“I won't”, Jenna confirmed. “And I will do what you're asking of me” She paused, before she took all of her confidence together. “But I want something in return” Saerya raised an eyebrow, which was immediately enough to cause Jenna to blush. “If I'm risking my life, then you owe me. One day, I will need your help and then you will help”

This caused Saerya to smirk. “I think we have a deal”, she agreed and turned towards the gates. Jenna glanced at the knights, who just exchanged a handshake and as she was turning around, Saerya noticed this glance as well. “I'll keep the death warrant”, she said. “It's important evidence. But I suppose you can tell them about Sherryl's plans for them”

Just then, Ser Leonard started to walk towards the gate. Jenna clenched her fists. “He has to know”, she said. “If he goes out there, he has to know that Sherryl wants his death” She paused and looked back at Saerya. “Uh... can you?”, she asked.

This caused Saerya to chuckle. “We can do it together”, she offered. “Come on, before he leaves” They rushed across the courtyard and Jenna noticed how Ser Lucas started to talk to Tyrell, pointing at the Lord's tower in the process. Ser Leonard saw them coming, he stopped to wait for them, an eyebrow raised.

“Can I help you?”, he asked. His tone was serious, though a slight smirk was visible on his face as he glanced at Saerya. That said, it looked strained as well, as if he had to force himself to be delighted by her sight. In return, Saerya just sighed and looked at Jenna who took a deep breath. “Well, we...”, she said and clenched her fists. “Your life is in danger”

Leonard's smirk faded. “Well, tell me something I don't already know. If you haven't noticed, the city is under attack”, he answered sternly. “So, I'd advice you to seek shelter. Go to the Great Hall, you'll be safe there” He tried to leave, though Jenna hastily grabbed his arm. “No!”, she said. “That's not what I... It's Sherryl! Lady Sherryl wants your death”

Again, Leonard stopped and this time, he seemed slightly confused by what she said. “Sherryl?”, he asked. “I think I've met her earlier. Good looking. Not quite my type, but she seemed alright” He frowned. “Though I did not like how she tried to flirt with me”, he added and narrowed his eyes. “Are you sure? Do you have evidence for that?”

Jenna glanced at Saerya, who subtly shook her head. Then, she looked back at the knight. “She has a death warrant with your name on it in her room”, she revealed. “Signed in the name of Lord Hightower, by someone named Mullendore” As she spoke the name, Leonard's calm expression vanished in an instant, replaced by a shocked frown. He grabbed her by the shoulders and the severity of his movement caught Jenna off guard.

“That name!”, he barked. “Where have you heard that name?” Jenna tensed up under his touch and gave him a frightful look, which he immediately noticed. He let go of her, with a look of slight guilt. “Apologies”, he said politely. “But I need to know. Mullendore, what do you know of him?”

Jenna shook her head. “Nothing, Ser”, she answered. “He signed the death warrant on your name, but that's all I know” She noticed the look on his face. “What's the deal with him?” Leonard sighed. “You see Flowers over there?”, he said, pointing at the other knight, who approached the Lord's tower, together with Lord Tyrell. “Mullendore did this to him. He murdered two of our friends and gods know how many more” Her eyes widened and he continued. “The death warrant, where is it?”

Now, Jenna glanced at Saerya, who looked back and subtly raised an eyebrow. “I don't have it”, she answered. “But I will make sure that Sherryl won't use it against you” This seemed to please Leonard, who even gave her a smile. “Good enough for me. You better destroy it. That bastard wants me dead and trust me, he mustn't succeed”

“Ser!”, the guardsman by the gate called and Leonard rolled his eyes. “It appears I have to get going”, he said. “The city needs my help” As he left, Jenna touched his forearm, though she immediately let go again. He glanced over his shoulder, right at her. “But... but Sherryl...”, she stuttered. “She wants your death”

“So do hundreds of Ironborn in this city and they are a more immediate problem”, Leonard answered calmly, though she momentarily saw that he was just as nervous as she was. If anything, Jenna knew how to spot nervousness. “But if we all survive this battle, I'll help you dealing with her. That bitch won't get away with it”

Despite his words, Jenna still frowned. “O... okay”, she stuttered. “Please, stay safe” Leonard smiled, if for a moment. “I can't promise that. But I won't die today”, he said. “You are... Jenna Harking, right?” She gave him a nod and he continued to speak. “I know your father. Good man. Seems like his daughter is a good woman” As she blushed widely, he flashed her a grin, before he turned around. “Stay safe. Both of you”

Jenna looked after him and Saerya slightly touched her arm. “You can stop blushing now”, she whispered. “He can't be the first person to give you a compliment” Jenna gulped. “I... I'm not blushing”, she protested and Saerya giggled softly. “Oh sweet, we gotta work on your skills in lying”, she whispered and Jenna glared at her, as they walked towards the gate. By now, Leonard and the guardsman had left already.

“Saerya!”, a voice called from behind and the woman rolled her eyes. “Here we go”, she sighed. Both turned around and Jenna recognized Federico Snow rushing towards them. “You are leaving?”, he asked, gasping for air.

Saerya took a step towards him and softly smiled, as he put a hand onto her waist. “I must”, she insisted. “You remember my friend? He might be in danger and I have to make sure that he's safe as well” Federico shook his head. “Stay here”, he begged her. “I can go for you. It's dangerous in the city”

“And I can very well look after myself, you know that”, Saerya responded sharply. Federico sighed and her gaze softened again. “You have to stay on your post. Do it for me, will ya?” Now, the guard gave her a nod. “I... will”, he promised reluctantly. “But you better return to me!” He brushed her hair out of her face and leaned in to kiss her, though she stopped him mid-way, by putting both hands onto her chest. “We'll have enough time for that later”, she said. “I'll come back and you better be still alive then”

They separated from each other and Federico gave her a nod. “Okay. Okay, you are right”, he said. Saerya smirked, as she turned around again. “I'm always right, darling”, she chirped, before she and Jenna continued their walk, across the courtyard and finally out of the gate.

Saerya sighed slightly as they walked down the path that led from the castle to the city below. “Oh, he's so sweet”, she said and it almost sounded like a complaint. “But clingy!” Jenna looked at her, slightly confused. “Don't you love him?”, she asked and for a second, Saerya seemed highly amused. “Love? Oh sweet, that's not what this is about. He's entertaining. And useful”

“Useful?”, Jenna asked sharply and Saerya smirked. “It's not always love or lust that matters. In time, you'll understand”, she promised and stopped walking. “So, this is where we'll split up. My friend Daghan should be at the tavern. I think Carma lives somewhere in the eastern city, right?”

Jenna sighed, which caused Saerya to raise an eyebrow. “You can do this, can't you?”, she asked. Jenna was not so sure about this. She knew where Carma lived, of course, but at the same time, she was afraid. Almost too afraid to leave at all, with the Ironborn on a rampage in the city below her. Could she really do this all by herself?

[Leave on your own] [Ask Saerya to come with you]

Sadie

When Sadie looked at Dan, she felt a sting of guilt. “I'll help the smallfolk”, she said and her friend sighed in disappointment. At the same time, the face Leo Hill lit up. His smile was genuine and made him look a good couple of years younger. “Excellent!”, he answered and heavily patted her on the shoulder. “Out there, we're going to need every fighter”

“And... what's with me?”, Dan asked, as he looked at Sadie. She bit her lower lip. “Dan, I'm sorry”, she said. “I'll make up for it. But if I don't help Leo, people could die. You don't want that either, I know it” Dan immediately shook his head. “No, you're right”, he said. “I don't want that either. You're right and I understand” Still, his voice sounded disappointed.

“Come with me then”, Leo said and Sadie followed him. Before she left, she glanced at Dan. “Please Dan, don't do anything that gets you killed”, she urged him. “Those wares, they are not worth your life” Dan gave her a quick nod, while still looking visibly disappointed. “Yeah, you're right as always”, he said tonelessly. “Wouldn't be the first time I have to start all over again”

He remained in the room for a little longer, after Sadie and Leo had left. The sellsword led her through the hallway of Gyles' whorehouse, past a couple of doors. Most of them were closed, though some of them stood open a gap, revealing naked or half-naked women, who looked at them with cautious, perhaps even outright fearful eyes.

“My sister”, she said and Leo glanced at her. “You told me she's here?” The sellsword gave her a nod. “Safe and sound”, he said and sighed. “Although there is something you have to know” Sadie raised an eyebrow and he shook his head. “After this is over. Then I will help. Gyles might try to resist, but fuck him. I never spoke to that girl, but if she's here against her will, then that's something I won't stand for”

“Thank you”, Sadie said and Leo gave her a stern look. “You know you could have just approached me directly”, he answered. “This whole affair was unnecessary and it almost got you killed” Now it was up to her to look at him in surprise. He chuckled dryly. “You got lucky I decided to hear you out”, he said.

Sadie gulped, but she gave him a nod. “Not gonna lie, I'm pretty glad about that as well”, she answered with a weak smile. “So, what's the plan?” Instead of answering, Leo looked at one of his men, the young, brown-haired sellsword with the short ponytail, who had warned them of the attacking Ironborn. “Sadie, this is Edward Lancaster, one of my officers. Ed, this is Sadie Wade”, he introduced them and the man gave her a friendly nod. “So, what do we know about the Ironborn?”

Edward cleared his throat. “They have reached shore a while ago, probably around an hour. Crossed the beach without anyone noticing, slaughtering the fishermen in their huts. We don't know how many they are, but they have about three longships”, he started to explain.“A couple hundred then”, Leo answered. “We know anything else about them?”

Edward gave him a nod. “One of the fishermen described their banner. A skull, impaled on some sort of spear”, he answered and Leo frowned. “It's a tusk, not a spear. Stallhart's banner”, he deduced and glanced at Sadie. “Durren Stallhart, one of Hoare's best captains. He's old for a raider, which means that he survived more battles than most of us will see in a lifetime”

“A problem?”, Sadie asked and she noticed that Leo's frown slowly turned into an anticipating grin. “A challenge”, he answered. “I've heard of him before and I look forward to fight against him” His grin did not get any wider when he looked at Sadie. “But I want you and the others to stay away from him. That man is dangerous. I think I might be able to take him. Bloodbane could also put up a good fight. But you?”

Sadie narrowed her eyes. “I'd say I'm a good fighter”, she protested and Leo shook his head. “Not as good as Stallhart, believe me. They say he knows no fear. Fights with two weapons at once, bringing death with each strike”, he responded. “You might be good, but he's better”

“Sadie, wait!”, a voice called them from behind. When she glanced over her shoulder, she saw Dan rushing towards them, a determined look on his face. He stopped in front of them and took a deep breath. “You were right”, he said and sighed. “Gods, I hate it when you're right. I'm supposed to be the level-headed one here”

“What are you saying?”, Sadie asked and he grimly smiled at her. “I'm saying that I wish to help. Screw my wares, I'd get myself killed if I'd try to save them on my own”, he answered. “Without your help, I can't get them. But that leaves me without something to do” He looked at Leo. “Could you need another blade?”

Leo raised an eyebrow. “You're a fighter?”, he asked and Dan shrugged. “Not as good as Sadie or your sellswords, but I've been travelling these lands for years”, he answered. “I had to learn a couple of tricks on the road”

“I don't like to put smallfolk in harm's way”, Leo answered. “Though I don't reject help either” He glanced at Edward. “Give him a weapon, Ed”, he ordered and the sellsword complied, pulling out one of the swords on his belt, he handed it to Dan, hilt first. “You know how to use that, merchant?”, he asked with a slightly mocking grin. Dan gave him a nod. “I put that pointy end right into them, don't I?”, he responded with an insecure smile.

Edward rolled his eyes. “That has to suffice”, he answered. “What are we going to do with them, Leo?” Just as he spoke, the small group passed through a door and into the taproom, which was now mostly empty. The people had been rushing home, of course, and Sadie saw that the Lannister, Leo's cousin, was nowhere to be seen as well. Instead, dozens of sellswords had gathered here. Sadie recognized Blane and she also saw Gyles Gomblinger, making his way through the crowd.

“Leo!”, he barked. “Leo, what is going on? They say you're planning to fight!” He rushed towards the tall man. “I demand that you protect me. Reinforce the building, keep me and my mother sa...” He did not get to continue, as Leo quickly grabbed him by the collar, with both hands, lifting him up effortlessly and letting out a deep, threatening growl, which was enough for Gyles to turn white in fear.

“We'll talk later”, Leo simply growled, before he dropped him again. “Blane, anything new? Where's Tythan?” Blane took a step forwards and he gave Sadie a friendly nod. “The Lannister boy left, I think he plans to fight. Aklen and a couple of others are keeping an eye on him”

Leo seemed pleased by this answer. “Good. Don't let him get away”, he ordered. “Bloodbane?” Blane glanced to the door. “He left a couple minutes ago, to gather his soldiers. They plan to hold them off at the marketplace”, he answered. “I've sent Rhogarn and his group to the hills, they'll flank the Ironborn from the west”

“Good call”, Leo complimented him. “I want you and your men to do the same from the east” He shook his head. “You know, for a town so fucking close to the sea, Maybros has a disturbing lack of walls”, he complained. “Bet some ancient lordling was more concerned with his own castle than his people when he founded this town” With a grim glare, he turned towards Edward. “You split your men into small groups. I want you to patrol the streets. Block off the side roads, force the Ironborn to take the main road to the marketplace. Me and Bloodbane will face them there and we'll crush them”

Edward saluted in front of his leader. “Will do, Ser”, he promised. Leo then glanced towards Sadie and Dan. “And then there's you...”, he said. “I am not quite sure what I can do with you, but both, Blane's and Edward's group could use a couple more people. You got any preferences?”

Dan shook his head. “I'll stay at Sadie's side”, he declared and smiled at her, a smile she reciprocated slowly. She noticed that Blane was smiling at her as well, while Edward had a more neutral look on his face. “Then I get to choose?”, she asked and Leo gave her a nod. “Yeah. Both could use you and I guess both will find something for Dan as well. I got no time to choose for you, so make it quick”

[Join Blane's group] [Join Edward's group]

• [Leave on your own] I choose this because I've loved to see Jenna's development of becoming a stronger person, and I think asking Saerya's help in this would be a setback on that.

[Join Edward's group] Idk, I think this could be more suiting job for them.

Jenna Saerya's fingers clenched into the parchment in her hand, as the sound of horns echoed across the courtyard and the city below. Jen

• edited October 2016

[removed]

Jenna Saerya's fingers clenched into the parchment in her hand, as the sound of horns echoed across the courtyard and the city below. Jen

• [Leave on your own] I choose this because my subconscious want for Jenna to die still urges me to send her to the more dangerous direction. Also I don't want to distract Saerya from helping out Daghan.

[Join Edward's group] I kinda want to befriend some of Leo's party. If we are lucky, we can try to join them after we deal with Durren.

• [Leave on your own]

Jenna is more danger this way. Good, good.

[Join Blane's group]

He's smiling, so friendly, plus we're flanking, which is not as dangerous. I bet Dan will die if we go with Edward. Well, he might die anyway, I seriously doubt his abilities.

Now, Jenna glanced at Saerya, who looked back and subtly raised an eyebrow. “I don't have it”, she answered. “But I will make sure that Sherryl won't use it against you” This seemed to please Leonard, who even gave her a smile. “Good enough for me. You better destroy it. That bastard wants me dead and trust me, he mustn't succeed”

Lies. Lies Saerya, lies. If you don't destroy it, someone is going to get angry, very, very angry. What a twist it would be if Saerya betrayed Leonard with the death warrant, and it would all be Jenna's fault. Grr, I would add Saerya to my death list and make Jenna a death member (meaning even in death she's a member, rather than a life member, my hate would not end at death).

Again, Leonard stopped and this time, he seemed slightly confused by what she said. “Sherryl?”, he asked. “I think I've met her earlier. Good looking. Not quite my type, but she seemed alright” He frowned. “Though I did not like how she tried to flirt with me”, he added and narrowed his eyes. “Are you sure? Do you have evidence for that?”

Excellent Leonard. I'm not sure if this scene was in the story, I vaguely remember something like it. If it was, must have been months ago.

Despite his words, Jenna still frowned. “O... okay”, she stuttered. “Please, stay safe” Leonard smiled, if for a moment. “I can't promise that. But I won't die today”, he said. “You are... Jenna Harking, right?” She gave him a nod and he continued to speak. “I know your father. Good man. Seems like his daughter is a good woman” As she blushed widely, he flashed her a grin, before he turned around. “Stay safe. Both of you”

Well, I sincerely hope Leonard won't die today, or tomorrow, or the day after that, or the day after that, etc. Maybe he just gets screwed up. That would be bad. I wish he wasn't so nice to Jenna, and I wish she didn't blush. Yuck, Jenna-Leonard romance, no thank you. I think I would rather have Leonard die than that to happen. Well, maybe not die, but yeah. I guess I like Jenna

• [Leave on your own]

[Join Blane's group]

• edited October 2016

Jenna is more danger this way. Good, good.

Well, Saerya would be more of a moral help either way. Her skills aside, she's not going to be much of a help against Ironborn. So, Jenna is going to be in roughly equal amounts of danger in both outcomes.

What a twist it would be if Saerya betrayed Leonard with the death warrant, and it would all be Jenna's fault.

Well, you had the choice to burn the death warrant, but to my surprise, an overwhelming number chose to keep it. That said, Saerya is apparently opposed to Sherryl and it is clear that this death warrant is important for Sherryl's (and Mullendore's) plans, so getting him killed is probably not what she's after. She likely has little regards for his safety, but using this death warrant in the same way Sherryl planned to use it would probably go against her plans, as it would support Mullendore's plans. However, there's certainly going to be a twist to this though.

Excellent Leonard. I'm not sure if this scene was in the story, I vaguely remember something like it. If it was, must have been months ago.

Hm, that scene was not in the story and Leonard's meeting with Sherryl happened off-screen, while Lucas had his talk with Argella. However, you probably remember a scenario I brought up during the "What If" part, where I mentioned that Sherryl would have tried to seduce Leonard if he would have remained in Raylansfair. She even would have succeeded partially, leaving it up to Jenna to find evidence for her manipulation, which would have resulted in the same scene you just read. Basically, after this part, both routes would have ended up in the same outcome, with Jenna managing to convince Leonard of Sherryl's manipulation and winning him as an ally against her.

I wish he wasn't so nice to Jenna, and I wish she didn't blush. Yuck, Jenna-Leonard romance, no thank you. I think I would rather have Leonard die than that to happen. Well, maybe not die, but yeah.

Haha, I knew you'd interpret their interaction in that way, but it's actually not what I was aiming at here :D Leonard was nice to Jenna because, well, she helped him and he has no reason not to be nice, while Jenna did not blush because she has some sort of crush on him, but mostly because he complimented her and she is absolutely not used to getting compliments. She had the same reaction when Saerya complimented her in Chapter 6. That's just a side effect of her still being very insecure, especially in her interactions with other people. So, nothing to worry here =)

I guess I like Jenna

Wait... Really?

[Leave on your own] Jenna is more danger this way. Good, good. [Join Blane's group] He's smiling, so friendly, plus we're flanking,

• [Leave on your own]

[Join Blane's group] Let's be friends!

I love Saerya so much! She's just so cool!

• Well, you had the choice to burn the death warrant, but to my surprise, an overwhelming number chose to keep it. That said, Saerya is apparently opposed to Sherryl and it is clear that this death warrant is important for Sherryl's (and Mullendore's) plans, so getting him killed is probably not what she's after. She likely has little regards for his safety, but using this death warrant in the same way Sherryl planned to use it would probably go against her plans, as it would support Mullendore's plans. However, there's certainly going to be a twist to this though.

Well, at least Saerya is fine...I guess. I'm kind of nervous about her intentions, but I think I got other things to worry about. A twist. Hm. Saerya better not blackmail him, ack. Ser Constantine would be very, very angry at that.

Hm, that scene was not in the story and Leonard's meeting with Sherryl happened off-screen, while Lucas had his talk with Argella. However, you probably remember a scenario I brought up during the "What If" part, where I mentioned that Sherryl would have tried to seduce Leonard if he would have remained in Raylansfair. She even would have succeeded partially, leaving it up to Jenna to find evidence for her manipulation, which would have resulted in the same scene you just read. Basically, after this part, both routes would have ended up in the same outcome, with Jenna managing to convince Leonard of Sherryl's manipulation and winning him as an ally against her.

I must have confused it with something else. Interesting stuff. Leonard and seducers, not cool.

Haha, I knew you'd interpret their interaction in that way, but it's actually not what I was aiming at here :D Leonard was nice to Jenna because, well, she helped him and he has no reason not to be nice, while Jenna did not blush because she has some sort of crush on him, but mostly because he complimented her and she is absolutely not used to getting compliments. She had the same reaction when Saerya complimented her in Chapter 6. That's just a side effect of her still being very insecure, especially in her interactions with other people. So, nothing to worry here =)

I mean, I kind of assumed she was embarrassed on being complimented. At the same time, I also assumed with Leonard being the Stately, handsome and all (I don't think there's a beauty contest in Raylansfair but I'm sure he would win), and a knight that there's a little more than just the embarrassment of the compliment itself, but a factor with the compliment giver. I'm glad that this romance won't be happening, it would suck. Sometimes I wish Leonard was more of a dick, like he used to be.

We all know Federico and Saerya is where it's at, heh.

Wait... Really?

No, no, no. No. That is not what I intended to say. I guess I forgot to finish my thought (hence the lack of the period). I meant to say "I guess I like Jenna just a bit more." Not that I don't dislike her, I do, but I dislike her just a bit less.

Jenna is more danger this way. Good, good. Well, Saerya would be more of a moral help either way. Her skills aside, she's not going

• **[Leave on your own] **

[Join Edward's group]

• [Leave on your own]

[Join Blane's group]

• [Leave on your own]

[Join Blane's group]

• Well, at least Saerya is fine...I guess. I'm kind of nervous about her intentions, but I think I got other things to worry about. A twist. Hm. Saerya better not blackmail him, ack. Ser Constantine would be very, very angry at that.

Saerya's intentions are kinda shady at this point, so I can understand that you are worried about them. And it is in the realms of possible that she ends up screwing Leonard over, or that she intends to blackmail him. At least Sherryl's connection to Mullendore and Oldtown, the main reason Saerya was even interested in this evidence in the first place, is going to be public knowledge soon, after she revealed it to Tyrell, Argella and Hobert. It remains to be seen what she's going to do with the death warrant now. While it is unlikely that she's going to use it to get Leonard killed just because she could, she might still use it as a threat, to force his help, since he doesn't know that she has no reason to get him killed. And yeah, he would not be pleased, to say the least.

I mean, I kind of assumed she was embarrassed on being complimented. At the same time, I also assumed with Leonard being the Stately, handsome and all (I don't think there's a beauty contest in Raylansfair but I'm sure he would win), and a knight that there's a little more than just the embarrassment of the compliment itself, but a factor with the compliment giver. I'm glad that this romance won't be happening, it would suck. Sometimes I wish Leonard was more of a dick, like he used to be.

Of course, Jenna is not blind, so she can definitely see and appreciate that Leonard is quite a handsome guy. However, part of her almost crippling anxiety is that she is actually too afraid to even hold a crush on someone. In turn however, she's actually more likely to catch Leonard's eye than a person like Sherryl or Saerya. As you noted, he's really not into the slutty, seducing type of woman, so in turn, the cute, shy girl next door is probably more his type (unless the seducer is filthy rich of course). That said, you don't have to be worried, him being nice to her in this part is not because he's interested in Jenna in any way, he simply appreciates that she helped him. As a knight, he has never really been a dick to women, safe for that one time where he has been pissed at Lunett (arguably, he had his reasons). But be assured, there might be chances for him to be more of a dick. He shared most of his scenes in the last two chapters with Lucas, with whom he gets along quite well by now, but it took them a long time to get to that point. If he encounters a new person who gives him a reason to be a dick, he will be a dick.

No, no, no. No. That is not what I intended to say. I guess I forgot to finish my thought (hence the lack of the period). I meant to say "I guess I like Jenna just a bit more." Not that I don't dislike her, I do, but I dislike her just a bit less.

Yeah, I noticed the lack of a period, which kind of made me guess you haven't finished your thought. But this already is pretty interesting and more than I expected. That is... something to work with, maybe and certainly surprising. I'm sure in the other route, where Leonard would have stayed in Raylansfair, you would have actually started to like Jenna quite a while ago, as she would have been an important ally to Leonard.

Well, you had the choice to burn the death warrant, but to my surprise, an overwhelming number chose to keep it. That said, Saerya is appare

• [Leave on your own] I feel like this would definitely be better for Jenna.

[Join Blane's group] Eh, he seems nicer and better to deal with at the moment.

• [Leave on your own]

[Join Blane's group]

• [Leave on your own]

[Join Edward's group]

• [Ask Saerya to come with you]

[Join Blane's group]

• The Voting is closed!

Jenna is going to leave on her own

Sadie is going to join Blane's group

Both choices were the ones I have been planning with and they would have been the ones I would have chosen as well. Jenna is undergoing some sort of a transformation right now and still depending on others would be harmful for it, especially since Saerya wouldn't have been able to help much other than to hold her hand and to provide emotional support. This here is dangerous of course, but it might just be an important step for Jenna. With Sadie meanwhile, this choice mostly changed a few minor things about how her storyline is going to play out exactly. The key events will likely remain the same, but now I'll get some chance to develop Blane a bit better, who has mostly been sidelined for the past two chapters. This choice is also likely to put more focus on already introduced characters, like Dan and Baelor, while the other one would have given me the opportunity to introduce one or two new characters.

The next part is going to be out today and I have no doubt about it. I was playing with the thought of releasing it yesterday, but was not sure if I'd manage to do this. But I did some great progress on it and all that is left is roughly one page worth of writing, which should be done in an hour, or two at most. This next part will be from Richard's PoV and it will deal with the aftermath of his hunt. Originally, I had plans of including a second PoV, but Richard's grew quite long while writing, leaving me with no room for this second one. That'll be a matter for the part after this next one.

• Richard

Hal groaned in pain, as they walked up the tiny elevation that led up to the street. He clung to Richard's shoulder, the other one using his spear like a cane and it was clear that he wouldn't have been able to walk up there on his own, not with his leg. Vaasrand was only in a marginally better shape. While he would have managed, Richard had no doubt about it, he would have risked further wounds in the process. Right now, he had one arm around Axell's shoulder and the other one around Ed's.

“My farm is not far”, Richard revealed, quite unnecessarily, as the building was already faintly seen in the distance. “We can treat your wounds there. I've got alcohol, bandages...” Vaasrand cut him off, by shaking his head. “I need to get to the tavern”, he pressed through his teeth. “When it comes to that, I need to take my own potions. They work better” He sighed, his voice not fully hiding his pain. “These beasts got me several times. Have to prevent an infection”

“I... I don't think I can make it there”, Hal sighed and whimpered as he took another step. They had patched his leg up in a rudimentary way, just to prevent him from losing too much blood and Richard had no doubt that every step meant a lot of pain for him. At least he had no doubt that they would be able to patch him up entirely. “I need to lay down, get some rest”

“Then... I have an idea”, Axell cleared his throat. “Richard, you bring Hal to your farm. Ed and me, we'll take Vaasrand to the city” Ed raised an eyebrow. “But what's with our farms?”, he asked and a sad look flashed across Axell's face. “It was Roman's farm”, he answered briefly. “I don't even know what to do now”

“Well...”, Ed said, as the group made their way down the street. “He had no children, no siblings. I'd say it is your farm now” He smiled at Axell, who did not smile back. Instead, the young farmhand frowned visibly. “Can we just... Can we just go to the city please?”, he sighed. “I don't want to talk about that right now”

“Your help is appreciated”, Vaasrand pressed through his teeth. “And the sooner I'll be fit again, the sooner I can go out there again” Axell threw a surprised look towards him. “You want to go out there again?”, he asked and Vaasrand gave him a nod. “Now I know what we're dealing with. It surprised me the first time, I was not prepared to fight a direwolf, neither did I expect one this far south of the Neck”, he answered grimly. “But this advantage is gone now. Next time, we'll face off as equals”

As they came closer to the farm, Richard narrowed his eyes. Something was different, something was not right. The door was closed at least, but he saw light inside, clearly visible in the night. Axell noticed it as well and threw a questioning glance towards him. “Alan, I hope”, he answered. It felt strange that after today, he outright hoped that it would be his brother in the house.

“Where has he been anyways?”, Ed asked. “We could have used his help” Richard shook his head. “Alan doesn't help anyone”, he answered, not without bitterness. “An even if he tries, it's better to try things without him. He would have either gotten himself killed, or all of us”

They stopped at the small path that led up to the house. By now, the burning candle inside clearly indicated at someone being inside. Axell and Richard exchanged a glance and the farmhand nodded, a friendly smile on his face. “Take care of yourself, Richard”, he said and his smile faded, as he looked to the road that led down to the city. “I don't know what it is, but I have a bad feeling about today”

He and Ed continued to support Vaasrand, as the three of them made their way down the street. It would take a couple of miles for them to get there and Richard sincerely hoped that the beast wouldn't attack them on their way. At the same time, not even his farm would be safe from that monster. He tensed up as he thought about how familiar it looked at him, how familiar it behaved. None of this made any sense, but it worried him immensely.

“Come on then”, he said towards Hal. “Just a little bit farther” Together, they continued to walk down the path, until they had reached the door. Richard raised his hand and waited for a moment, before he knocked. “Alan, are you in there?”, he asked.

A few seconds later, he heard footsteps in the main room of his house. “Coming”, his brother said in a slightly annoyed tone, as he shambled towards the door, to open it only a gap. “You brought a guest”, he stated and glanced down Hal, until he spotted the blood-stained bandages around his leg. With a sigh, he pushed the door open entirely. “A wounded guest”, he complained. “He's going to bleed on our sheets”

“My sheets”, Richard responded sharply, as he helped Hal inside. Without caring much for the weapon, he put his sword on the egde of the table, where it quickly slid down to the ground. “Come on, Hal. The bed is not far”, he said and Alan threw an alarmed look at him. “Not my bed!”, he protested, but it was already too late by then. Not that his protest would have changed a thing, as Richard decidedly helped Hal to enter the room he had allowed Alan to stay in. It once belonged to his firstborn, Arvin, but ever since boy left to fight in the marches, it was unused.

“But... that's not fair!”, Alan complained loudly and Richard glared at him. “I need water. Bring the largest bowl. Clean rags, bandages as well. And a bottle of alcohol, the strongest you can find”, he ordered quickly, as he helped Hal to lay down on the bed. The young man sighed in relief, as he was finally able to remove the stress from his leg. He finally let go of his spear, though he did not simply let it fall to the floor, he carefully leant it against the wall right next to him.

“Thank you, Richard”, he gasped and Richard smiled. “It's the least I can do”, he answered. “Your sister helped my daughter” Hal gave him a nod. “So I've heard. Jenna is alright?”, he asked in return and Richard sighed. “I... hope so”, he answered briefly. “We haven't talked much these days. Something is bothering her. Worse, she is worried by something. I just wish I could help her”

“Yeah, I know how you're feeling”, Hal answered, as Richard knelt down. His own leg still ached, though it was a mere thumping as opposed to sharp pain. After today, it had a good right to hurt like hell and Richard did not blame it. He was lucky he still had it at all. Slowly he removed the makeshift bandage from Hal's leg, a torn piece of cloth that used to be one of his sleeves. The young man groaned in pain and Richard frowned as he spotted the wound. It was deeper than expected. At least they were able to help quickly, or else it surely would have had terrible consequences for him.

“Here's water”, Alan said, as he entered the room with a large clay bowl in his hands, a rag underneath. With more care than Richard expected from him, he put the bowl onto the ground next to him and handed him the rag. He glanced out of the window, narrowed his eyes and rushed out of the room again, to the cupboard, where Richard heard him going through the contents.

“I gotta clean the wound now”, Richard said, as he moved the rag into the bowl until it was soaking wet. Hal clenched his fists, as Richard carefully moved the rag towards his leg and started to clean it. Though he tried to be as soft as possible, Hal still sighed sharply. Jenna would have done better, he knew it”

“Sorry”, he said and Hal shook his head. “It's alright”, he said. “I... I don't think I can ever thank you for what you're doing” His face lit up slightly. “I'll tell Nora! She's gonna be so happy” His smile faded immediately. “She's feeling like your Jenna, you know. Always so worried”, he muttered. “I don't know what Lord Harris was thinking, but he surely did her no favour by putting her into that position”

“Not going to lie, it surprised me as well”, Richard said. Hal shook his head. “I'm not surprised. It's not only about Nora's work, and honestly, she's great, but he chose her because she is young and inexperienced”, he revealed. Richard understood and raised an eyebrow. “He wanted a guard captain he could manipulate”, he deduced.

“Correctly. He couldn't do that with the knights. Constantine and Flowers, or Lagoon”, Hal said and the logic behind his argument surprised and concerned Richard. “I never trusted the man. A bastard playing lord? Guaranteed disaster. And Nora probably doesn't even know. Or maybe she chooses not to”

As he spoke, Alan entered the room again, this time with a bottle full of a clear liquid in his one hand and a couple of bandages in the other. “Oh great”, he said dryly. “You bled on my bed” He rolled his eyes. “Then I'll be taking Jenna's tonight”, he decided.” Not like she's going to come home anyway”

Richard narrowed his eyes, though wisely decided to remain quiet, to avoid an argument. He cursed his soft heart, for Alan wouldn't even deserve living here in the first place. He noticed his brother glancing out of the window. “Richard”, he said, though he did not respond. Instead, he gave Hal a regretful look and raised the bottle. “This might hurt a little”, he warned him. The farmer gave him a brave nod. “Eh, I've been through this before”, he claimed. “I'll manage. Nora is the screamer in our family”

That said, he let out a pained groan as Richard poured the alcohol onto his wound. His teeth were clenched and at least he successfully prevented himself from screaming. Through all of this, Richard noticed that his brother was still not moving away from the window. “Richard...”, Alan gasped. “Richard, I think there are people down the path” Richard raised an eyebrow. “Axell and Ed maybe”, he answered, though he knew he was wrong. Quickly, Alan shook his head. “They are more”, he said. “Far more. And they have weapons”

This was enough for Richard to pour more of the alcohol onto Hal's wound than he wanted. Hal let out a pained sigh that only narrowly did not became a full-fledged scream, as Richard jumped up. “What?”, he said. “What do you say?” Alan pointed towards the window. “Look. I really don't like this”

Indeed, Richard saw armed men marching down the street They were at least a dozen, though it was possible that there were more down the parts of the street Richard couldn't see from the window. “Douse the candles”, he ordered and Alan complied, immediately and silently.

The sun was almost set, but he could clearly see them. The men had no banner, no uniform, cluing him in on the fact that they were neither soldiers nor sellswords. But they had swords, axes, spears, sturdy leather armour, light chainmail. Quickly, the house became dark, but it was too late. One of the man put a hand onto the shoulder of a second and together, they separated from the main group, moving up the path to Richard's house. By now, more and more of these fighters walked into Richard's field of view, marching down the street, towards Raylansfair.

“Fuck, they're coming right at us...”, Alan gasped. “What are we going to do?” Richard reacted a little too late. “Stay silent”, he growled towards Hal, as he bolted into the main room, the same moment someone heavily knocked onto the door. “Open!”, a deep voice ordered. “In the name of the Band of Claws, open the door”

Richard shook his head as he saw Alan slightly moving towards it. His brother indeed stopped, shaking with fear. Just a second later, they kicked in the door. It was an old door, designed to keep out the elements and not other humans and it gave in after the first kick, which was a heavy one nonetheless. With a grin on his face, the first man entered the room. He was in Richard's age, plain and heavily bearded, his companion slightly younger and bald. Both had short swords dangling on their belts, though they hadn't drawn the weapons.

“Good fucking evening”, the bearded man said. “Look who tried to hide from us” Alan raised his hands, his eyes widely opened. “Listen, man, we don't want any trouble. Please, whatever you want, it's yours, just don't kill us. Don't kill us, please!”

The two men exchanged a glance and the bald man gave the other one a nod. Still grinning, the bearded man looked towards Richard. “You don't want to die?”, he asked and Richard narrowed his eyes. “Not if it can be prevented”, he answered and the bearded man chuckled. “Wise thought”, he said. “Alright then. We're here to fuck you up. To take your little city and everything you have. Be a nice little farmer and tell us where you got your shit and maybe we'll leave you alive” He glanced around the room. “Your coin. People like you always have coin hidden somewhere. And your food”, he said. “You got any minge around?”

“Here's another one”, the bald man said, his voice was gravelly, as he entered Hal's room. “Looks girly enough at least. And they all look the same from behind” Hal's eyes widened in terror, as he tried to crawl away from the man, only to bump against the wall behind him. “Eh, that one got a fucked up leg”, the bald man noticed. “I don't like bleeders”

The bearded man shook his head and sighed. “Just coin and food then”, he decided and looked at Richard. “Be a good little farmer, help us out and you might just survive” Both men looked towards Richard's sword on the ground at the same time and the bearded man's smile got a bit smaller, as he and Richard had the same thought. “Well?”, he asked, his hand slowly reaching for his sword. “What's it going to be?”

And then, Alan did something Richard did not expect from him. With a loud scream, half bravery, half panic, he threw himself at the man. While he did not tackle him to the ground as he undoubtedly tried to do, he succeeded in landing a single, weak punch right onto the man's forehead.

For a second, the bearded man fully focussed on Alan. This second was enough for Richard. “You little...”, the man growled and he grabbed Alan by the collar of his shirt, as Richard reached for his sword. He pushed Alan to the ground and out of the corner of his eye, he noticed Richard charging. Quickly, he pulled out his own sword, turning towards him to parry the first strike.

“Looks like we're just going to kill you”, the bald man stated, as he drew his sword as well, pointing it towards Hal. With his life on the line, the wounded farmer reacted quickly and correctly, reaching for the spear next to him and just in time to parry the strike of his opponent. Still lying in his bed, he couldn't do much but to hold the spear above him. The heavy wood managed to resist the blow, though the edge of the sword still came dangerously close to Hal's face.

Now, Richard's opponent attacked. It was a heavy attack, relying more on strength than on skill and this circumstance saved Richard's life, as he was quite strong as well. He pulled his sword up, blade clashing against blade, as he parried the strike. Then, he moved his sword slightly to the side, to parry another attack. Even though Richard wasn't a good fighter, he realized that the same could be said about his opponent and this clued him in without a doubt that this man was nothing but a common bandit, certainly no soldier or sellsword. He moved his blade forwards, trying to hit him, but the man knocked his sword to the side and nearly out of his hands.

Behind the bearded man, Hal barely managed to parry a second attack from his opponent, this time with the tip of the spear. He rolled to the side, falling out of the bed and heavily onto the ground, face first and letting out a howling scream of pain as he landed right onto his wounded leg.

The bearded man attacked again, this time a low strike and Richard jumped back to evade the blow. The blade cut against the table, knocking it down, before it pointed right back at Richard, who tried a desperate attempt for a counterattack. Even he had to admit that it was a weak try and the bearded man had no problems with parrying this attack. Behind him, the bald man raised his sword, to end Hal's life.

It was Alan who saved the young farmer. He jumped up, with the clay bowl in his hands. With all his strength, he slammed it down onto the man's head. The bowl shattered and the man went to his knees and then to the ground entirely. Hal lay next to him, still clinging to his spear. “Give that to me!”, Alan barked, as he ripped the spear from Hal's hands, to heavily ram it into the bald man's chest, showing neither hesitation nor mercy.

Meanwhile, Richard had to parry another strike. This one was not only harder than the first, it was done with more caution. Richard moved his blade forward, parrying it from the side, though to his surprise, the bearded man simply knocked the weapon from his hands, with a strike way stornger than Richard was able to parry. The sword slid across the ground and through the room, leaving Richard defenceless.

The bearded man's grin returned. “You should have just cooperated”, he said. The very next moment, the tip of Hal's spear, now wielded by Alan, pierced through his chest after entering his body through the back. The man's eyes widened, as the sword fell out of his weak hands. Then, he sank to the ground. Alan glared at the dying man, raising the spear again and ramming it into his throat and then into the chest again.

Richard stared at his brother, whose eyes slowly widened. “Oh god...”, Alan mumbled. “Oh my god...” Then, Richard took a step towards him and momentarily put a hand onto his shoulder. “Thank you”, he said calmly. Alan still clung to the spear, but he gave him a weak nod, just as Richard rushed to the ruined front door, to look down the path and at the street.

“They heard it”, he growled, as he watched how three additional bandits stopped walking. They glanced at each other and then at the farm, before they slowly started to approach it. “Fuck...”, Richard cursed, as he realized they couldn't take three more of them. He looked towards Hal, who had instinctively crawled under the bed. There was enough space for him to be nearly invisible for anyone who wasn't directly looking underneath.

“Alan, come on”, Richard barked. “You gotta help me, we have to get Hal out of here” When no response came, he turned towards his brother. “Alan?”, he asked. Alan meanwhile had slowly approached the back door, still clinging onto the spear and shaking with fear. “I can't do this”, he mumbled. “Richard, I can't do this. I don't want to die...”

“Alan, look at me”, Richard urged him. “You're not going to die, but I'm going to need your help. We take Hal and escape together” Alan looked at the blood-stained spear in his hands, then at the man he just killed. “No”, he said. “Sorry, but I did enough. I'm not going to die here”

“Alan!”, Richard yelled, as his brother turned around, to run out of the back door and into the forest behind the house, where he was quickly out of sight. Richard knew the area, he knew there was a path that would lead right to the eastern side of the city. But there was the beast as well... But regardless of the danger, it was the only way they could take, the one he would have taken either way.

“Richard?”, Hal asked, his voice cracking with fear. “What's happening?” Richard looked at him, then at the men who slowly approached. They couldn't see him in the darkness, but he had no illusions that they had heard the fighting and probably the yelling as well.

“Alan's gone”, Richard said and he felt fear slowly rising as well. He needed Alan's help. Carrying Hal would have been hard enough with his help, but without him... could he do that? Richard wasn't sure. Hal's eyes widened. “Oh gods... oh gods, Richard, please don't leave me! They're going to find me, they're going to kill me! Please, please don't leave me!”

[Try to carry Hal to safety] [Leave him and run after Alan]

• [Try to carry Hal to safety]

Richard is not a coward like Alan is and he won't leave a man, whom he just helped and brought to his own house.

Richard Hal groaned in pain, as they walked up the tiny elevation that led up to the street. He clung to Richard's shoulder, the other on

• [Try to carry Hal to safety] Leaving Hal behind would be a dick move. And well, I might be a bit more willing to take risks like this with Richard than I would be with some other PoVs that I like more :p

Richard Hal groaned in pain, as they walked up the tiny elevation that led up to the street. He clung to Richard's shoulder, the other on

• [Try to carry Hal to safety] Alan was pretty cool this part. I like how he can handle himself, and maybe if we can make him a little more brave we can make him a capable person. And I don't want to leave Hal to die, because he is my character after all. Hopefully Richard can be capable enough for the both of them.

• [Leave him and run after Alan]

Yes, good Alan, good. Doing what incompetent Richard can not.

Hal is fine under the bed. If anything, by running after Alan, we can possibly draw the attention of the other three bandits and leave Hal to be alone. Hal will be fine. Alan, my sleazy man, has that beast to deal with. Plus, Richard and Alan being at the eastern side of the city means the eastern gate, which means Second Sons, which means Lucas and Kersea. Yes, Kersea, Richard can get revenge...and die in the process.

So I think Hal is actually better off this way, and I believe Alan can be saved and Richard can potentially save some other characters.

I like that we got to learn a little bit about Nora, but I'd like to see them meet up. Nora doesn't know about his injuries yet. I think?

• [Try to carry Hal to safety] Hiding under the bed NEVER works!

Fucking Alan, goes badass for a whole thirty seconds then runs off like a bitch.

• edited November 2016

Good part for Alan somewhat, until running off like a bitch.

[Try to carry Hal to safety]

This is the most humane choice in my eyes. It may be difficult but it's better than straight up abandoning Hal and possibly leaving him to die.

• [Leave him and run after Alan]

Blood is thicker than water, come on Richard.

• Indeed, Nora doesn't yet know about Hal's injuries. She knows he went out to hunt the beast, though like probably everyone else, she underestimated how dangerous this would be. Since the hunt just happened a few hours ago, they had no way of contacting each other in the meantime.

StarKing789 posted: »

[Try to carry Hal to safety] I like that we got to learn a little bit about Nora, but I'd like to see them meet up. Nora doesn't know about his injuries yet. I think?

• Hehe, that's Alan for you. If he's in danger, he can fight like a cornered lion, but as soon as there's a way out of there, he is going to take it. At heart, Alan is a huge coward.

AgentZ46 posted: »

[Try to carry Hal to safety] Hiding under the bed NEVER works! Fucking Alan, goes badass for a whole thirty seconds then runs off like a bitch.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.