Forum of Thrones: An Interactive Story

Comments

• [Attack the southern gate]

[Allow Jaro to join you]

• Ironborn are never a good thing. Plus it seems Torvin is about to have an alliance with Mullendore.

Lord_EAA posted: »

Well maybe the conquest is what Raylandsfair needs. A leader that cannot be corrupted by Mullendore.

• edited November 2016

I don't really understand the context of Torvin's choice. Help, please?

I think Sherryl is slightly growing on me. I get that she's working for shitbag #1 but I can't help but like her. She's still a bitch though :p

[Allow Jaro to join you] No coddling! We need all the help we can get.

I noticed that both the sellswords (Rodrik) and the Bandits (Bear) have had a run in with John's group and Torvin is about to ally with one of them.

Just a quick heads-up: There's quite a few spelling mistakes in Torvin's part.

[Attack the southern gate] The bandits seem more the ironborn's style.

Torvin “No, no please!”, the man screamed, just before Torvin's axe split his skull, shutting him up for good. Silently, he removed the w

• I don't really understand the context of Torvin's choice. Help, please?

Gladly. So, Torvin just learned from Sherryl that he has allies outside the gates. He previously did not know about the Second Sons and Bear's men attacking Raylansfair as well. He also knows that the Second Sons are attacking the eastern gate, trying to break through, while the bandits are doing the same with the southern gate. Since he fears that he won't have enough men to conquer the heavily fortified city centre, he decided to get help from these potential allies. For this, he decided to attack one of the gates from the inside, to open it, so that the attacking force outside the gates can march in. He is now left with the choice which gate he wishes to attack first, meaning, which ally he prefers. Hope that explanation helps!

I think Sherryl is slightly growing on me. I get that she's working for shitbag #1 but I can't help but like her. She's still a bitch though :p

Hehe, this is surprising, but very interesting. I certainly enjoy writing her, mostly for the sheer audacity with which she manipulates everyone around her and for effortlessly out-bitching even characters like Tariel or Argella. But ah, I really did not expect anyone to start liking her at this point, though I always approve of such a surprise =)

I noticed that both the sellswords (Rodrik) and the Bandits (Bear) have had a run in with John's group and Torvin is about to ally with one of them.

It's true, regardless of whom Torvin will ally, they are both enemies of John's group. Arguably, Bear has a more personal connection to John, but Rodrik has made it very personal with Samantha after the last chapter. It should be interesting to see if they are going to meet up in a later part.

Just a quick heads-up: There's quite a few spelling mistakes in Torvin's part.

Huh, this is strange. My spellchecker did not show me any mistakes, aside from names like Torvin or Sherryl of course. Do you have an example for such a mistake, so that I can try to avoid them next time?

AgentZ46 posted: »

I don't really understand the context of Torvin's choice. Help, please? I think Sherryl is slightly growing on me. I get that she's worki

• edited November 2016

These two were the most obvious ones.

Ad for Torvin himself
    Is gaze hardened

EDIT: I edited the Torvin choice into my comment btw.

I don't really understand the context of Torvin's choice. Help, please? Gladly. So, Torvin just learned from Sherryl that he has all

• Ah, I see it now. That explains why my spellchecker did not react, as these are technically correct words, even if they are not the ones I actually wanted to put there. Guess I just have to be more careful then. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

AgentZ46 posted: »

These two were the most obvious ones. Ad for Torvin himself Is gaze hardened EDIT: I edited the Torvin choice into my comment btw.

• (Attack the eastern gate)

(Allow Jaro to join you)

At this point, it kinda feels like a 'all hands on deck kinda thing' I'm just hoping it's not the wrong choice.

Just wanted to let ya know that I've been reading all these parts and it's just progressively amazing! You have me hooked from beginning to end and I just can't wait for more!

I think I'm going to try to become an active reader in this story and more on the forums, maybe submit a character at some point.

• This is really great to hear! I'm glad to hear you're still around and that you enjoy the story and even caught up. Of course you are very welcome to submit a character as well, whenever you want :)

(Attack the eastern gate) (Allow Jaro to join you) At this point, it kinda feels like a 'all hands on deck kinda thing' I'm just hopin

• InGen_Nate_KennyInGen_Nate_Kenny Moderator
    edited November 2016

[Attack the eastern gate]

[Forbid Jaro to join you]

No way am I putting Leonard in more danger, although I really do kind of want him to kill some ironborn. Let those stupid bandits die, this is good.

I think taking Jaro with us will kill him, and I think he can go somewhere else where he would be more helpful.

I guess that was the expensive bow Liquid was speaking of. Hm. Who could she want to kill? To be honest I almost thought they had Maya. Still, hm. I'm not really sure.

Wait, I think I know. Is it Jenna? No, maybe it's Saerya. Or Argella. Hm. One of those three. I doubt it's Argella, but I am not sure who else she could kill would start a war (Raenna?).

I wonder if going to the east gate means we will see what would have been from John's perspective to Torvin's. Hm.

I might edit this comment, I'm busy too long to finally read.

Torvin “No, no please!”, the man screamed, just before Torvin's axe split his skull, shutting him up for good. Silently, he removed the w

• No way am I putting Leonard in more danger, although I really do kind of want him to kill some ironborn. Let those stupid bandits die, this is good.

Oh, I believe Leonard is going to get his chance to kill some Ironborn regardless. It has been hinted at, many Ironborn have split off from the main group to raid on their own and without a plan, so the southern gate crew is likely to get into some fights with them as well. But with Torvin most likely heading to the eastern gate, their attacks won't be coordinated or hard to repell.

Wait, I think I know. Is it Jenna? No, maybe it's Saerya. Or Argella. Hm. One of those three. I doubt it's Argella, but I am not sure who else she could kill would start a war (Raenna?).

Hm, killing Argella would definitely cause a war and Sherryl knows that, although it would be a war that would be almost guaranteed to end with the complete destruction of Raylansfair and a large majority of the Reach, which might be bad for her plans. That said, there's always the chance that Sherryl has something else planned. Sometimes, even the death of someone comparably minor can have big consequences, as seen with Noelle's plan to burn Briar. It's possible that Sherryl has similar ideas, plans if you want to call them that way. You will get an answer later in this chapter!

I wonder if going to the east gate means we will see what would have been from John's perspective to Torvin's. Hm.

Hm, probably partially. There are some parts in this chapter that have to happen from John's PoV and some that have to happen from Torvin's PoV and nothing will change about that, but it is possible that some of their parts will show the same scene from different viewpoints now.

I might edit this comment, I'm busy too long to finally read.

Sure, no problem! Voting is probably going to stay open until tomorrow in my afternoon (your late morning, I presume), so until then, you'll have even time to change your vote, if you feel like it.

[Attack the eastern gate] [Forbid Jaro to join you] No way am I putting Leonard in more danger, although I really do kind of want him

• [Attack the eastern gate]

[Allow Jaro to join you]

Great part! Sorry for lack of detail and explanations, I'm in a rush at the moment and I wanted to get my votes in before the next part.

• edited November 2016

The Voting is closed!

Torvin is going to attack the eastern gate

John is going to allow Jaro to come with him

I was curious what you would vote for here, but I think that these are the ones I would have chosen as well, at least the second one. I actually have no real opinion on the first one, but I thought you might choose the eastern gate, because the southern gate would mean sending Torvin against Leonard, who generally seems to be a favourite of many. That said, choosing the eastern gate will mean that things will get rather hard for John, although it will work perfectly with the plans I have made for his storyline. I can also tease that the new PoV I have been hinting at before will be located at the eastern gate during this attack. As for Jaro, this choice has really changed something. It not only works with my plans, it will also be a life-or-death decision for one character (though that doesn't has to be a bad thing, as perhaps you simply saved someone) and it will reveal a very interesting and surprising detail about one character, which I can't wait to show you.

Now, I hope that the next part is going to be out today. I gotta be honest here, I am feeling rather disheartened right now and I don't know if I will be able to finish the part today. I had the wonderful idea to stay up until 7 AM, to watch the US election and well, that means I am exhausted and angry, as well as in complete disbelief that a man that focussed almost entirely on spreading fear and hatred in his campaign actually won. I don't want to get too deep into politics here, but for context, I have strong leftist, globalist and humanist views, so you can probably imagine how I feel about the outcome and what this means for the future political development of the world. This currently makes me feel almost paralyzed and I might just go to sleep again until I feel more well-rested and overall better. At the same time, I might just force myself to write, to get some different thoughts. At least the Ironborn invasion of Raylansfair paints a more brighter picture than Biff Tannen being elected as the most powerful man in the world. In any way, this part will feature PoV's from Ilish and either Lucas or Maya. I'm not entirely sure about this second PoV and will probably decide spontaneously once I get there, which should be soon. That means, stay tuned for the next part either today or tomorrow.

• edited November 2016

Yeah. I normally don't focus too much on U.S politics especially since as a Puerto Rican I don't really get a say (Thought ironically I could not go back for my elections and our terrible candidate won as governor) but this night was hard. It didn't help that this was one of the closest elections ever made. My university is in Washington and I can confirm many, like me, feel like you. Its hard to be as optimistic and cheerful as I normally am when some of my friends are lying down and crying. I still however remain hopeful that he won't be successful in what he said he sets out to achieve. At least I'm certain he will be blocked by congress if he actually tries any massive deportations.

However I am curious to how you'll handle 'Donnel' in forum now. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if he just gets killed immediately, probably after saying how he'll make a giant wall to stop immigrants from Dorne.

The Voting is closed! Torvin is going to attack the eastern gate John is going to allow Jaro to come with him I was curious what yo

• it will also be a life-or-death decision for one character (though that doesn't has to be a bad thing, as perhaps you simply saved someone) and it will reveal a very interesting and surprising detail about one character, which I can't wait to show you.

That is rather worrying. Hopefully no one cool dies. As for the dark secret, do we find out that Daghan and John are long lost brothers?!?!??!?!

As for the the political blues, our future is certainly worrying. Hope you get our of your slump. Try not to dwell to much on it though, I find it is better to focus your energy into something more productive. Maybe start binge watching a tv show you have been putting off, or read a interesting book you buy at the bargain store, or learn how to cook some new interesting foods. Don't get dragged down into into a sadness which hopefully will be resolved sooner rather than later.

The Voting is closed! Torvin is going to attack the eastern gate John is going to allow Jaro to come with him I was curious what yo

• Ditto.

Bounden posted: »

it will also be a life-or-death decision for one character (though that doesn't has to be a bad thing, as perhaps you simply saved someone)

• edited November 2016

Yeah. I normally don't focus too much on U.S politics especially since as a Puerto Rican I don't really get a say (Thought ironically I could not go back for my elections and our terrible candidate won as governor) but this night was hard. It didn't help that this was one of the closest elections ever made. My university is in Washington and I can confirm many, like me, feel like you. Its hard to be as optimistic and cheerful as I normally am when some of my friends are lying down and crying. I still however remain hopeful that he won't be successful in what he said he set out to achieve. At least I'm certain he will be blocked by congress if he actually tries any massive deportations.

If I'm not mistaken, Washington has even voted blue, yeah? In that case, condolences to your friends, that must be especially upsetting. At least I have the small remains of hope that the alt-right dregs here in Germany won't gain any lasting strength from the outcome of this election, but you and your friends have to live under that man for the next four years. That said, with his inexcusable and unsupportable stance on climate change, he has, without any doubt, the potential to screw over not only our entire generation, but the generations of our kids and grandkids. Though I agree, if he tries to cripple your economy with mass deportations, or by rebuilding the coal industry, even the republican-controlled congress has no choice but to stop him. Currently, my optimism is slowly returning (though that is, admittedly, the result of me seeing the world through lager-coloured glasses right now) and I find a bit of solace in the fact that Trump, like every populistic demagogue before him, won't be able to live up to a single of his promises. I have hope for 2020. May the world become a better place then and may Trump and his hatred become nothing but a footnote in our future. A page in someone else's history book, if you allow me the GoT quote.

However I am curious to how you'll handle 'Donnel' in forum now. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if he just gets killed immediately, probably after saying how he'll make a giant wall to stop immigrants from Dorne.

To bring this comment back to something more closely related to this story, I can confirm that, despite my heavy antipathy for the person he is based on and an outright hatred for the policies this person stands for, my plans for Donnel Selwyn will not be influenced by the outcome of this election. I believe it would be rather poor of me to let this arsonist fearmonger influence my story to the point where I change my plans for a well-written character that has been submitted by a friend. On top of that, I believe that having Trump in Westeros is a rather hilarious picture, no matter how much damage this man is undoubtedly going to cause to our western society in the next few years. That means, I will stick to my original plans for the character, especially as I intend to use him as a bit of a deconstruction of the person he is based on, to expose just how ridiculous and irresponsible his policies actually are. Not that I have to work hard for this. I have no intention of killing this character off immediately, because that would be petty as hell.

Yeah. I normally don't focus too much on U.S politics especially since as a Puerto Rican I don't really get a say (Thought ironically I cou

• That is rather worrying. Hopefully no one cool dies. As for the dark secret, do we find out that Daghan and John are long lost brothers?!?!??!?!

Hehe, you won't believe how close you are about this. I really do not wish to spoil anything, but since you have, amazingly enough, not been entirely wrong on this, I can give you this. This surprising and interesting detail is indeed going to involve brothers, although it will probably only be revealed towards the final quarter of this chapter.

As for the the political blues, our future is certainly worrying. Hope you get our of your slump. Try not to dwell to much on it though, I find it is better to focus your energy into something more productive. Maybe start binge watching a tv show you have been putting off, or read a interesting book you buy at the bargain store, or learn how to cook some new interesting foods. Don't get dragged down into into a sadness which hopefully will be resolved sooner rather than later.

Yeah, after my initially very sullen mood after waking up today, I feel better now, though that is also certainly the result of some friends inviting me over for a couple of drinks and a generally good time in spite of our worrying future. I think I have found that writing helps, as it always does, so that might mean an increase in productivity for me in the next weeks. So, apparently there is at least one overall good thing coming out of this mess of an election. Since I just had to go out and meet my friends today, I won't be able to finish the part before heading to sleep, but I will certainly be able to finish it tomorrow :)

it will also be a life-or-death decision for one character (though that doesn't has to be a bad thing, as perhaps you simply saved someone)

• That's good. Most of my friends have also begun to calm down. The big concern now seems to be how there is this division in the country and just how some people have reacted. Some have sadly become convinced that Trump now has the power to do whatever he wants, which is by no means true and there is a lot of tension going on over how violently people from both sides have taken to fight over the results.

I'm happy you're sticking to your original plans for him and I fully agree with your points as to why. Anyway I'm glad that we could talk about this and I look forward to the next part :).

Yeah. I normally don't focus too much on U.S politics especially since as a Puerto Rican I don't really get a say (Thought ironically I coul

• Ilish

“Everything is okay!”, Ilish yelled, after a short moment of consideration. She glanced up at the man on top of her and she saw approval in his eyes, though she still couldn't see the rest of his face. He even gave her a short nod, before he silently stood up and moved away from her. All this time, Ilish continued to stare at him, still feeling fear, even if he didn't seem threatening anymore.

“Alright, stay calm”, Torold yelled from below. “We're getting you down again. Just a sec...” He got cut off by the loud sound of horns, coming from the docks... no, coming from farther than that, from the sea. Ilish's eyes widened, as the dog let out a howl. Ryler himself tensed up at the unexpected noise and Ilish heard a loud curse from down below. She had never heard this sound before, but she still knew what it meant.

“Ironborn...”, she mumbled, before she jumped up, staring at Ryler, who glanced at her momentarily, before looking out of the window. “Oh fuck!”, he exclaimed loudly, not even bothering with staying secret anymore. “He's escaping!”

“What the... Ilish, who is up there with you?”, Torold asked and Ryler hissed angrily, as he reached behind the boxes, pulling out a longbow. By now, Ilish looked out of the window as well. It took her a moment to spot Wolfius, running through the panicking crowd, together with Kreep. She looked at the masked man, who quickly rushed up next to her. “What are you doing?”, she asked and Ryler didn't even look at her. “Making sure that he won't escape”, he answered.

He took aim, breathing steadily, while Ilish looked at the killer amid the crowd. Finally, a few seconds later, Ryler lowered his bow, groaning in frustration. “What is it?”, Ilish asked sharply and he shook his head. “Too many people”, he admitted. “I can't risk it, I would miss for sure. It would warn him”

With these words, he rushed towards the edge of the haywire. “Hey, you down there!”, he yelled. “We need a new ladder, quickly!” Ilish turned away from the window, as she saw Wolfius vanishing in the crowd. She stepped next to Ryler, while Torold looked at both in surprise. “Who is that?”, he asked. “Man, who are you and what are you doing there?”

Ryler sighed. “My name is Ryler Grimthorn”, he introduced himself and Philip looked up. He was standing, although Taenora was helping him with this, having put an arm under his shoulder to support him. “Grimthorn?”, he asked. “I thought you were all dead”

Ryler shook his head. “Not me”, he simply said, as Jarow already came into their field of view, carrying a ladder. The Lord of Bridges was stressed out, obviously and Ilish saw that he was taking this new twist way harder than any of them. He barely seemed to pay attention, not even when he lay eyes on Ryler. “Come down, quick!”, he barked, as he placed the ladder. Ryler reached down for his hound, lifting the large animal gently and with a strength that surprised Ilish, considering his relatively ordinary frame. He placed it on his shoulder and despite only having one free hand to climb, he did so remarkably fast.

“Now, who are...”, Torold said, though Ryler cut him off, by simply rushing away, out of the barn, just as Ilish started to climb down. She saw him stopping outside, his fists clenched with frustration, before he turned around again. “He escaped”, he stated and shook his head. “I know him and I know I won't be able to find him in this chaos”

Before Ilish could say anything, Torold spoke again. “You know Wolfius?”, he asked, still glaring at the young man with mistrust. “I do”, Ryler confirmed. “And if I am correct, then we have the same goal. I wish to stop him as well” Torold narrowed his eyes. “Why?”, he just asked and Ryler sighed. “Because he did this to me”, he answered.

His hands slowly moved to the helmet, removing the heavy thing with a groan. While Ilish expected a gruesome sight, she was surprised to be wrong. Ryler was younger than she expected, maybe even one or two years younger than her. He was not exactly ugly, with a short beard and hair of an ashen blonde colour, though a couple of features about him stuck out. The first thing Ilish noticed was his skin, which was ghastly pale, almost eerily corpse-like and not very healthy-looking. Three scars, as if from a claw, spanned across his left eye, without damaging the eye itself. And his eyes, they had two different colours. Of course, Ilish had seen this before, especially with Philip, but in Ryler's case, it was outstanding. The left eye had an ordinary, blue colour, but the right one was yellow, with an intensity she had never seen in a human eye before.

“Seven Hells, what did he do to you?”, Ilish mumbled, staring at his eery skin. “It's best if I spare you the details. Years ago, he put me through a lot of pain”, Ryler explained, moving two fingers up to his strangely coloured eye. “And I know he put many others through a lot of pain as well. Which is why I have to stop him”

“So, that's why you were up there...”, Taenora deduced and he nodded. “I wanted to get a good look at him. A clear shot, if he'd try anything”, he answered. “Your interference kind of messed that up” Before Torold could protest, Ryler raised a hand, to calm him down. “Which I don't blame you for”, he was quick to specify. “You couldn't have known any better. Still, that was horrible timing”

Finally, Ilish noticed that Jarow was almost panicking. The sight of the usually confident man shaking, his eyes widely open with fear, it horrified her. “Jarow, is everything alright?”, she asked and the man shook his head. “No, girl, it isn't”, he answered and the look he gave her was far clearer than the one he usually had. “This is it, you see. They returned. They returned at last, to finish what they started”

“They won't”, Ilish was quick to calm him down. “We have the castle, we'll be safe there” Jarow clenched his fists. “That won't suffice. Don't you know, girl? They always attack from two sides”, he muttered. “It has been like this before” He looked up, his gaze almost empty. “I have been there before”, he mumbled. “I... I know what to do now”

“What... Jarow, what are you doing?”, Ilish said, as Jarow started to walk away. The old man looked over his shoulder and sighed. “They will attack the city walls, I know it. And I know they have to cross my bridge to get there”, he explained, before a grim, determined look appeared on his face. “I have held it before. I killed dozens of them, while my fellow soldiers died around me” He shook his head. “I will not let their death be in vain. I have held this bridge before and I will do so again”

With these words, he turned around and started to run. “Jarow!”, Ilish yelled, though Torold stopped her from following. “No! No, we need to get to safety!”, he urged her. Ilish threw an alarmed look at him. “But... Jarow”, she stuttered and the brewer shook his head. “He's an old soldier and he's gotta do this. Besides, he's the toughest bastard I know. I doubt anything can kill him”

Once he was sure that she wouldn't run off, he let go off her shoulder. “I... I have to leave as well. Need to get home, to my wife. Then we will head to the castle and I'd advice you to do the same” He and Philip exchanged a nod and the wounded man managed a weak smile. “Take care of yourself, you old bastard”, he said and Torold chuckled. “See you at the castle”, he said, before he left as well, but in a different direction than Jarow. Ilish looked after him and sighed. “So... what now?”, she asked.

Briefly, Ryler glanced at Philip. “You mentioned you know my family?”, he asked and Philip gave him a nod. “I used to live on your lands”, he revealed and through the pain from his damaged leg, Ilish saw an older, much deeper pain. “Things got bad when Bloodboar's men came, not only for you in your castle. After your family was gone, he failed to protect what was left of the smallfolk, failed to protect them from those who prey on the weak. Many people died and I... had no one left up there”

The young man gulped. “I am sorry for your loss”, he said, though it sounded cold, as if he heavily tried to be as emotionally distanced as possible from this. Then he sighed and looked down the direction Wolfius was heading to. “I can't change what happened back then. But I can try my best to prevent such a thing from happening ever again”, he growled. “I'll go after Wolfius. Don't know where he is, but it has to be somewhere in this city. He has a score to settle with several people here and maybe that's how I can find him” He glanced at the others, from Taenora to Ilish. “Maybe I could use some help”

Taenora shook her head, albeit reluctantly. Before she was able to speak, she had to cough heavily and a grimace of pain formed on her face. “I'm afraid we won't be much of a help”, she stated. “Philip's leg is damaged and I...” She put a hand on her chest. “This cough is getting worse. I'll focus on bringing Philip out of here, first to the rest of my people, then to the castle”

Ryler gave her a nod. “Then you gotta do this”, he said, before he looked at Ilish. “What about you? You say you want to stop Wolfius as well? Now's the time to prove it” A worried look appeared on Taenora's face. “I don't doubt that you will be fine, but her?”, she argued. “Ilish, girl, now's not the time to play hero. Come with us. Right now, with the Ironborn in the city, we can't do much to stop Wolfius”

[Go with Ryler after Wolfius] [Escape with Taenora and Philip]

Lucas

The sound of the battle raging on at the docks could be heard even through the thick walls of the Lord's tower, as Lucas walked up the stairs that led to Harris' room. The sounds of their horns were most prominent, not only the deep, threatening horns of the Ironborn, but also the far lighter sound used by the city guard. He sighed, as he knew what this meant. The docks were lost and they were running out of time. And out of options...

Stopping in front of the room, he looked at the key in his hand, before he used it to open the heavy door. The wood creaked as he pushed it open, revealing Harris' small room. The food they had given him, a simple soup and a bit of water, had barely been touched and the small candle meant to illuminate the room was almost burned down. A part of Lucas regretted that they locked Harris up in his own room, which was rather luxurious, while another part of him regretted having to lock him up at all.

Harris himself was standing near the window and Lucas knew that he had a good view down at the harbour basin from there. He turned around as Lucas stepped in and the light that fell onto his face illuminated pale skin and wide, green eyes, that mustered his new tabard. “So, you're wearing yellow now...”, he said, his hoarsy voice cracking, but still oozing with contempt. “And you're asking for my help”

Both men glared at each other for a moment, but it was Lucas who looked away first. “We ask for your help”, he clarified. “The people of Raylansfair” He looked back at the man he once looked up to. “Trust me, I don't like this and under other circumstances, I wouldn't have done it. But right now this city needs a man like you”

“My point exactly”, Harris stated. “It always needed a man like me. I thought you would have understood that, before you threw your lot in with that woman” Lucas narrowed his eye. “I supported her because I saw her as the better choice”, he growled. “And I still do. However, we need every man right now and no one has more experience fighting these raiders than you”

Harris gave him a nod. “True”, he said. “And so you crawl back to me, asking me to help. It must be hard for you, to work with the monster that you think I am, isn't that right, boy?” Lucas clenched a fist and took a step back to the door. “I am not your boy”, he growled. “And I can always just close this door again, deny you the only chance you have to get redemption in the eyes of the people”

A bitter, joyless smirk appeared on Harris' face. “You give me quite the choice”, he said and under Lucas glare, he sighed. “Ser Lucas” Lucas gave him a nod and pointed at the door. “After you”, he ordered and the former castellan followed without hesitation. “Do you know how bad it is?”, he asked. “Aside from the fact that it's bad enough to ask me for help”

“Three hundred raiders on longships”, Lucas started to explain. “The guard is trying to hold them off” Harris shook his head, as the two men walked down the steps. “The guard is a bunch of green kids who wanted a safe job that makes them feel good”, he growled. “There are a dozen men in there I'd consider valuable in a fight. They will fail. But there are more problems, or else you wouldn't call on me like this”

“The gates are under attack”, Lucas stated and Harris sighed. “They're using this tactic again”, he answered. “They tried the same fifteen years ago. Back then, Lord Robert was wise enough to engage them at the bridge, to hold them off with a small force until reinforcements arrived”

“It's a little too late for that”, Lucas answered. “They are almost at out gates, as far as I know. And they are not exactly Ironborn” Harris stopped for a second, though he quickly regained his composure, giving him a questioning look. “At least at the eastern gate, we're attacked by Second Sons. They are a sellsword compa...”

“I know who the bloody Second Sons are”, Harris growled. “And I know they should all be in Vaes Khadokh, across the Narrow Sea” Lucas reached the door that led out to the courtyard and he pushed it open. “Tell that to the men at our gates”, he answered. “We don't know anything about the men in the south, but Leonard has left to support our troops down there”

Harris stepped out of the dusty tower, taking a deep breath as he looked over the courtyard. Just for a moment, he was the acting Lord of Raylansfair again and this courtyard was his. For a second, the guards looked up to him one last time, before they continued their work. “Good”, Harris said. “Ser Leonard is a good man, a brave man. He will hold this gate, or he will die trying”

“It won't come that far”, Lucas insisted, as he and Harris walked down the steps and even from afar, Lucas was able to see a familiar group of people. There was Harlen Tyrell and his nephew. The castellan of Highgarden was freaking out, even from afar, he was breathing rapidly and looking to the other people around him. There was Ser Darren, who narrowed his eyes as he spotted Harris. And there was Argella, radiant as always. One of her soldiers was with her, a young man with dark brown hair and a short stubble beard.

The princess was the only one that smiled as he approached, while the rest was either busy glaring at Harris, or freaking out, in case of Tyrell. The castellan took a step towards Harris. “Ser Harris”, he said hastily. “You have been granted one final chance to defend this city from its enemies. Be assured that we will take your actions today into consideration when it comes to your eventual punishment”

Harris gave him a nod. “I will try my best to protect my city, as always”, he said and Tyrell sighed in relief. “Good. Good, then you are in command now!”, he gasped and turned to his nephew. “Elias, gather our men. Barricade my room! With me, now!” As he tried to rush back to the Great Hall, an irritated look appeared on Harris' face, as he instantly grabbed the man by the elbow. Tyrell glared over his shoulder with the sudden anger of a terrified animal.

“Mylord, we...”, Harris started, but he cut him off. “Let go of me!”, Tyrell answered in a shrill voice. “I have been sent here as a diplomat. I will not die and my men will do what they are meant to do and that is protecting me!” With a frown on his face, Harris let go of the castellan, who quickly rushed off. “Bloody coward”, he growled under his breath, before he looked over his shoulder.

“Captain Nora!”, he barked and she immediately rushed towards them, obviously happy that someone apparently meant to give her a clear order for once. “Ser!”, she saluted in front of him. “How many men do you have?”, Harris asked and Nora gulped. “About three dozen. Not all of our guards have been at the castle when the attack started and we...”

“Sent two dozen to the city centre”, Harris ordered, as he cut her off. Lucas threw an alarmed look towards him. “But the castle”, he argued and Harris shook his head. “The dozen that remain can hold the castle quite well. A thousand men couldn't get through these gates”, he explained, before he looked at Argella. “Girl...”, he started and this time, it was her who cut him off.

“What?”, she asked sharply and Harris sighed. “Princess Argella”, he said, with forced respect this time. Argella gave him a nod and he continued. “Tonight we need your help as well” She and the soldier to her right exchanged a look. “Of course you do”, she answered. “Just tell me where I can help”

Harris was slightly taken aback by her immediate willingness to help, but he allowed himself a slight smile. “First, I wish that you hold your men back. You'll be our reserve. A fresh wind when we need it the most”, he answered. “First, I wish to show the people of Raylansfair that their friends, their brothers, fathers, sons, are fighting on the streets. They have to know that they can fight as well. We need to encourage them, because without the smallfolk on our side, we won't be able to win against such an army”

“You want the smallfolk to fight?”, Darren asked sharply and Harris gave him a nod. “Able-bodied men, wielding whatever weapon they can get. There are a thousand of them in this city, maybe more. They can make a difference”, he explained. “And we can make a difference as well” With determination, he looked towards the gate, before looking back at Nora. “Bring me my armour, my sword and a sturdy shield and order my horse to get saddled”

While he spoke, Lucas looked from him to Argella. The princess caught his stare and raised an eyebrow, which he took as a signal to speak. “You wish to leave the castle?”, he asked. “Who is supposed to lead us?” Harris chuckled and as he did so, he seemed like he used to be. “Oh, I will lead these men. But how am I supposed to do so while hiding in the castle? I will lead where I am needed. I will lead them to battle. For now, considering that Ser Leonard holds the southern gate, this will mean I'm going to head to the east”

Lucas narrowed his eye. “So, you will leave, while ordering the Stormlanders to remain. Ordering me to remain, while my people die in the streets?”, he barked. Harris looked to Argella and it was the princess who spoke. “As Ser Harris wished, my men will remain in the castle for now”, she explained calmly. “I will hear what my advisers have to say on the matter at hand, before making my decision” As she spoke, she looked at the soldier behind her. “Drent, go and get Emphryus and Sergeant Montclair”, she said, before she hesitated. “And Lady Tariel”

Then, she looked back towards Lucas, noticing the angry expression in his eyes. A soft, understanding look appeared on her face. “Although, I will not deny you your right to fight for your home. Follow Ser Harris into battle if you wish”, she said, before her gaze hardened again. “But I forbid you to die, you hear me?”

“Loud and clear”, Lucas answered and he allowed himself to smile at her. Finally, Darren cleared his throat. “Then I will accompany you as well”, he offered, though Lucas noticed how Harris instantly tensed up. “You are a good fighter, Darren. But the last time we spoke, you tried to murder me”, he argued. “Frankly, I do not know if I can trust you” He looked at Lucas. “What do you say, boy? Would you give Ser Darren here a chance?”

[Take Darren with you] [Leave Darren at the castle]

• Also yes it would be hilarious to see the Trump mentality in Westeros , especially concidering they already built a giant wall to keep 'foreigners' out.

Yeah. I normally don't focus too much on U.S politics especially since as a Puerto Rican I don't really get a say (Thought ironically I coul

• [Go with Ryler after Wolfius]

[Take Darren with you]

Ilish “Everything is okay!”, Ilish yelled, after a short moment of consideration. She glanced up at the man on top of her and she saw app

• [Go with Ryler after Wofius]

[Leave Darren at the castle]

Ilish “Everything is okay!”, Ilish yelled, after a short moment of consideration. She glanced up at the man on top of her and she saw app

• [Go with Ryler after Wolfius] Somebody needs to stop Wolfius once and for all. Also Valarr needs some help because I doubt he will be enough to stand against Wolfius since Arthur left him to defend for himself.

[Take Darren with you] This should be the best choice. Since Lucas is now in yellow, and Harris is a criminal, we need somebody in green to inspire the smallfolk into action. Also, the Stormlanders will eventually have to leave the castle, so we shouldn't count on them to defend the castle. That's why we need to leave the Rock men to defend the castle walls. The Tyrell men will be defending their own corner of the castle, so unless Wilifred or Arthur can change his or his nephew's mind we won't be able to count on them. So if we can all decide to leave the Rock men to defend the castle, Darren would be of more use in the city. It may also be a start to mend the frayed relationship between Harris and Darren.

• [Go with Ryler after Wolfius] Playing the hero is more exciting :p No, but if there is any chance this will help taking down Wolfius then I have to take it. Ryler also seems like a cool character, and I want to learn more about him.

[Leave Darren at the castle] I think there needs to be a capable commander in the castle. Sure, there is Nora but she isn't very experienced. And with the Durrandons, we don't know what will they do.

• I think there needs to be a capable commander in the castle. Sure, there is Nora but she isn't very experienced. And with the Durrandons, we don't know what will they do.

Don't forget about the Rock men. Talian is a very capable general and commander.

[Go with Ryler after Wolfius] Playing the hero is more exciting No, but if there is any chance this will help taking down Wolfius then I ha

[Take Darren with you]

• [Escape with Taenora and Philip]

Nope. No Arthur, no dice. I voted for him to go after Valarr, the only person. I bet if we went after Valarr and went with Ryler we would have gotten him.

I am on the fence on this choice. More people at the gate is probably a net good impact, but it's Darren and Harris. Also, with that gate not working, maybe it would be best to have someone experienced there. I think this choice is very important and will decide some characters' fate.

The thing with Jarow and the bridge might happen again I foresee, it was mentioned in two distinct POVs in the same part.

Ser Leonard holds the southern gate, this will mean I'm going to head to the east

So I get the feeling that Torvin going to the east gate might be the best choice for the people of Raylansfair (besides the Leonard factor) because now he's going to be dealing with John's crew, Orys and company (possibly), Jarow, Harris, Lucas, and Darren (possibly).

Granted this is also where Kersea is supposed to be, and Raenna is kind of going. Maybe the choice to bring Jaro will save Lucas, maybe kill Kersea or something.

The new POV too. Who that could be? I'm thinking, they are supposed to be an existing character right? I'm trying to think, I don't remember if Hackor sent anyone to the east gate.

So compare to that if we sent Torvin to the southern gate. Man, Leonard would probably be getting screwed over. But he's not. Speaking of him, neither of his two "Next time..." things have come, and the thing with Sadie and Durren Stallhart is the chapter finale, so he has to talk to Argella (back at the castle) and then get in a battle with explosions and Clayton. And these are supposed to be the first of a new storyline. So unless one or both of these scenarios are choice based, then I got no clue.

Where's Ian Shortwood in all this mess? I bet that guy could do some stuff.

[Take Darren with you]

Illish is not a fighter - she can easily get wounded or even killed by Wolfius and Kreep.

I don't think we should even consider that, because we don't want them fighting against eachother instead of fighthing the real threat.

• [Escape with Taenora and Phillip] Ilish is no warrior, I don't imagine she'll be much help.

[Take Darren with you] They need every man they can get. Trust isn't a factor. Besides, if they're willing to give Harris a chance then surely they can give Darren a chance.

[Take Darren with you]

• True, though just like with Durrandons, we can't exactly know what will they do - this is not their home after all. Anyway, the fact that Sherryl has sabotaged the gates means we need many capable warriors for holding the castle. Of course they are needed at the east gate too, but we know there are many good warriors already going there.

I think there needs to be a capable commander in the castle. Sure, there is Nora but she isn't very experienced. And with the Durrandons, we

• I'm pretty sure from the "Next things" it showed Wilifred getting advice to from his two advisors, Talian who wanted to stay at the castle and Roger who wanted to go help the smallfolk. It is definitely a great idea to defend the castle. However Darren where Darren is most needed is still up in the air. The stormlanders are going to eventually go out of the castle to go help the smallfolk, so we need to leave some men to defend.

True, though just like with Durrandons, we can't exactly know what will they do - this is not their home after all. Anyway, the fact that Sh

• Oh, I don't read the "next time" to avoid spoilers :D No problem though, I could guess it would come down to a choice with Willfred. But still, even if we have the choice you never know what will people vote for - even if in this case I'm pretty sure people will understand that it's important to keep some men in the castle. Anyway, I think I'm going to keep this choice with Darren, but I'm definitely okay with the other option winning as well.

I'm pretty sure from the "Next things" it showed Wilifred getting advice to from his two advisors, Talian who wanted to stay at the castle a

[Take Darren with you]

I really want the Ironborn to come out on top, maybe this will create some infighting and more chaos. I'm honestly worried for Torvin considering how many people are going to the Eastern Gate, the situation would've been much better if he had gone to the Southern Gate.

• I am on the fence on this choice. More people at the gate is probably a net good impact, but it's Darren and Harris. Also, with that gate not working, maybe it would be best to have someone experienced there. I think this choice is very important and will decide some characters' fate.

This choice is very important, yes. I can't really say anything more about it right now, but both outcomes will lead to important additional choices, which in turn will further influence how the story continues. Compared to a couple of other choices, this is one where neither option is strictly good or bad and where thinking about it is a very wise idea.

So I get the feeling that Torvin going to the east gate might be the best choice for the people of Raylansfair (besides the Leonard factor) because now he's going to be dealing with John's crew, Orys and company (possibly), Jarow, Harris, Lucas, and Darren (possibly).

Indeed, Torvin is going to face pretty heavy resistance on this route. Then again, it will give him more targets to potentially kill as well. His men will prove a formidable threat to the eastern gate in any way, especially as the defenders already have to face the Second Sons. But at least the eastern gate is better prepared than the southern gate, which really only has Leonard, who is at the very least confirmed to return to the castle to talk to Argella at one point in this chapter.

Granted this is also where Kersea is supposed to be, and Raenna is kind of going. Maybe the choice to bring Jaro will save Lucas, maybe kill Kersea or something.

Hm, maybe. Kersea is going to get one of the next parts (maybe even the very next one) and it should tell you a lot about the direction I plan to take her storyline into in this chapter. This is an interesting thought, with Jaro getting potentially involved in this.

The new POV too. Who that could be? I'm thinking, they are supposed to be an existing character right? I'm trying to think, I don't remember if Hackor sent anyone to the east gate.

A couple of guardsmen have been sent to each gate, but among them hasn't been an already introduced character. This new PoV will therefore not be a member of the city guard. He or she is also not going to appear until at least the halfway point of the chapter and I am not even sure if they will have more than one part in this chapter. They are mostly there to set up one of the main storylines of Book 2.

So compare to that if we sent Torvin to the southern gate. Man, Leonard would probably be getting screwed over. But he's not. Speaking of him, neither of his two "Next time..." things have come, and the thing with Sadie and Durren Stallhart is the chapter finale, so he has to talk to Argella (back at the castle) and then get in a battle with explosions and Clayton. And these are supposed to be the first of a new storyline. So unless one or both of these scenarios are choice based, then I got no clue.

Both of these parts are indeed going to happen and neither of them is going to be determined by choice, as they are both the first parts of their respective storylines. This might seem a bit confusing right now, but it will make a lot more sense very soon. In this chapter, Leonard is at least confirmed to have a talk with Argella and to get into a confrontation with Clayton and both of these scenes will happen in the first parts of their respective storylines.

Where's Ian Shortwood in all this mess? I bet that guy could do some stuff.

The only thing known about his current whereabouts is that he is still somewhere in the city. Other than that, he's probably trying to stay out of trouble because of his connections to the Stormlanders. Though I agree, if someone were to stumble upon him, he could be quite a big help and no matter his allegiance, the Ironborn are certainly his enemies as well.

[Escape with Taenora and Philip] Nope. No Arthur, no dice. I voted for him to go after Valarr, the only person. I bet if we went after Va

• edited November 2016

That's true and one of the reasons why I actually really look forward to feature this character the more I think about it! Trump in our society is something I see as a disaster (though I see some of the people around him as even more dangerous for our future, like Pence, Carson or the Gingrinch), but Trump in Westeros is a completely different thing and actually rather intriguing. On top of that, while I heavily disagree with about 95% of his policies, I see the crappy, brutal and unfair society of Westeros as one of the few hypothetical places where most of his ideas actually make sense and where he would fit in perfectly. He can make Westeros great again, or maybe the Reach at least.

Also yes it would be hilarious to see the Trump mentality in Westeros , especially concidering they already built a giant wall to keep 'foreigners' out.

• Oh, I don't read the "next time" to avoid spoilers :D

I can assure you, if you're afraid of spoilers, I never really include any in these "Next Time" segments =) Most of them are meant to be comparable to the trailers for an episode of the show, even if the format obviously doesn't allow for it to be exactly the same. Then again, it can certainly be rather interesting to go into a chapter without even the smallest idea what is going to happen.

Oh, I don't read the "next time" to avoid spoilers No problem though, I could guess it would come down to a choice with Willfred. But still

• I'm pretty sure from the "Next things" it showed Wilifred getting advice to from his two advisors, Talian who wanted to stay at the castle and Roger who wanted to go help the smallfolk.

I'm afraid you remember this one wrongly. There was a similar scene, with Leonard urging Argella to help the smallfolk, while Tariel argued into the completely different direction. That said, considering Tallian's and Roger's personalities, such a scene is still very much in character for them, so even if this wasn't part of the "Next time" Teaser, it could be a part of the chapter regardless.

I'm pretty sure from the "Next things" it showed Wilifred getting advice to from his two advisors, Talian who wanted to stay at the castle a

• Yeah, it's not so much that I'd fear there would be direct spoilers, more like "Oh, this moment from 'next time' hasn't happened yet, so we know this character isn't in danger here" situations. It's really the same thing with trailers, but with them I rarely have the willpower to resist watching them :p

Oh, I don't read the "next time" to avoid spoilers I can assure you, if you're afraid of spoilers, I never really include any in th

Sign in to comment in this discussion.