Forum of Thrones: An Interactive Story

Comments

• I see what you did there, Ted!

enter image description here

The Voting is closed! Drent is going to advice Francis to stay at his post Well... for the first time, you actually chose what I expec

• [Agree to give him a sample of your blood]

[Side with Mathea]

• InGen_Nate_KennyInGen_Nate_Kenny Moderator
    edited November 2016

[Refuse to give him a sample of your blood]

Are we seriously going to help the ironborn captain who is directly in opposition to the people of Raylansfair and also is 90% working for Maron Mullendore? Don't get me wrong, I actually like Edward Anturion, like, a lot (I don't know why), but we can't actually let him have an easy time in there? Sure Alys might lose a limb or something, but hey, it makes all the difference.

[Side with the guard]

If we sent Mathea out there she is going to die. Trust me. When the ironborn attack the castle the people won't get a chance to be healed since she will be out. Also, Wolfius and Kreep are out there. I'm sure they would take her if they saw her. Who would she help? Lyria? Rosaline? Urid? Philip? We don't want them getting any help, although maybe Philip lives if she goes out (which I don't want).

Somewhere in the distance, a loud bang echoed through the streets and Alys shivered. “What... what was that?”, she asked and Alisa looked similarly confused. It was Carvin who answered, glancing over his shoulder as he continued to walk next to Edward. “An explosion”, he revealed and Alys' eyes widened. “What?”, she gasped. “How?”

Hm. I'm not entirely sure if that's the sound of Clayton attacking Leonard with the wildfire (would it really be that loud?) or something else entirely. Hm.

I guess whatever Maya saw was what Anturion was talking about. Hm.

Alys “What are we even doing here?”, Alys hissed towards Alisa, as they rushed through the streets of this city. Raylansfair, as they had

[Side with the guard]

Alys “What are we even doing here?”, Alys hissed towards Alisa, as they rushed through the streets of this city. Raylansfair, as they had

• [agree to give him a sample of your blood]

This is gonna be good.

[Side with Mathea]

She knows what she wants.

Great part!

• Why does everyone think he's working for Mullendore?

[Refuse to give him a sample of your blood] Are we seriously going to help the ironborn captain who is directly in opposition to the peop

[Side with Mathea]

• Once again I enjoy these drawings. Very creative but my favorite would have to be Hjalgar's. It makes me glad we brought him along! Durren Stallhart's is a close second.

Alright, looks like I got back home in time to post this new set of drawings before the next part! The theme this time is that these are all Ironborn who are atm raiding Raylansfair in the story - except for Durren Stallhart, who is raiding Maybros.

• Well, it is not entirely unanimous anymore and to be honest, I didn't even expect it to be entirely unanimous. I think there have been a couple of unanimous decisions before, but as far as I remember only in parts that had one choice. With two choices, I don't think this has happened so far.

Lord_EAA posted: »

Wow BOTH votes are unanimous. Has this ever happened before?

• edited November 2016

I might be wrong, but I think a main reason behind that theory has been Sherryl's recent behaviour in Torvin's latest part, where she was able to reveal the presence of Anturion's allies to Torvin. Sherryl meanwhile has been more or less confirmed as being in service of Mullendore. Of course, this doesn't confirm that Anturion is working for Mullendore, though it doesn't speak in his favour either.

Lord_EAA posted: »

Why does everyone think he's working for Mullendore?

• Sure Alys might lose a limb or something, but hey, it makes all the difference.

At least for now, Edward doesn't plan to wound her so severely. If everything works according to his plan, then all he needs is a bit of blood, like a small cut on the inside of her palm. He has no plans of mutilating her, or bleeding her out entirely. In that case, he would have approached her completely different from the very beginning.

Who would she help? Lyria? Rosaline? Urid? Philip? We don't want them getting any help, although maybe Philip lives if she goes out (which I don't want).

Actually, Philip is already on his way to safety, together with Taenora. Mathea was talking about Lyria, Rosalie and Urid, who are still as patients in her house. Although she would help everyone else she stumbles upon as well, which doesn't have to be a bad thing.

Hm. I'm not entirely sure if that's the sound of Clayton attacking Leonard with the wildfire (would it really be that loud?) or something else entirely. Hm.

I can confirm that yes, this is Clayton attacking Leonard with the wildfire and yes, it is that loud. The archive is not really too far away from the place where Leonard has been ambushed either.

I guess whatever Maya saw was what Anturion was talking about. Hm.

Oh yes, this is correct. I originally had no plans of outright explaining what she saw, though I think this will make for an interesting element in Alys' next parts. That said, I can already confirm that, illusion or not, Maya was in grave danger back when she was in the archive.

[Refuse to give him a sample of your blood] Are we seriously going to help the ironborn captain who is directly in opposition to the peop

• And drop of blood cannot kill Alys, right...?

If it stays at just this few drops, then no, it won't kill her. It might hurt a little, but it won't kill her. However, if it does not stay with these few drops...

Mathea posted: »

[Agree to give him a sample of your blood] I choose this, simply because I want to see what's in there. I guess that shadow Maya saw was

• Yeah, when I was typing up my responses to this part and I saw Lord's comment, I had a little devil grin on my face.

Well, it is not entirely unanimous anymore and to be honest, I didn't even expect it to be entirely unanimous. I think there have been a cou

• To be honest, there is no better feeling than being the trouble maker. Devils have the most fun.

Yeah, when I was typing up my responses to this part and I saw Lord's comment, I had a little devil grin on my face.

• I've actually believed he's being working for him for a long time. At least since he was at Harrenhal. I think one of the main things that spiked my suspicion was something about shooting him with the crossbow. I'm not entirely what though, maybe it is that if we killed him and he was working for Mullendore it would be very bad. Sherryl's behavior definitely adds to my suspicion.

It's kind of strange though. If it is true, why? Mullendore would have been granted access to the city and archives anyway. Why would he feel the need to do what he is doing now? I mean I'm pretty sure he and his buddy Peter Vyrwel are gearing up to go after he is treated for his injuries. So unless they want to look like heroes, I have nothing.

I might be wrong, but I think a main reason behind that theory has been Sherryl's recent behaviour in Torvin's latest part, where she was ab

• [Refuse to give him a sample of your blood]

This is blood magic. so no.

[Side with the guard]

I think Wilfred would side with the guard, it really isn't his business anyway.

• Ah, yes, I see what you mean now. Edward has indeed been one of Garthon's potential targets during the events of the Chapter 5 finale, though as expected, he has been spared. And Sherryl's behaviour does not speak in his favour.

That said, I think I'm probably not spoiling anything when I reveal that nothing is going to be that easy when it comes to the loyalties of these characters. Mullendore has a plan and as you have noted, Edward's apparent role in this plan is kind of strange. Before the end of Book 1, more will be revealed about this for sure.

I've actually believed he's being working for him for a long time. At least since he was at Harrenhal. I think one of the main things that s

[Side with the guard]

It's probably best to have a healer at the castle. But if she goes out there, she might even save some Ironborn raiders.

• The Voting is closed!

Alys is going to agree giving Edward a sample of her blood

Willfred is going to side with Mathea

These choices are pretty interesting to me. I have not expected you to choose either option, yet at the same time, these are the options I have been planning with, for some reason, so now I can continue with the plans I already had. They might not have been the wisest options, but I can promise that they have certainly been the most interesting ones! Alys' storyline has only been planned relatively recently, though it instantly became one of my personal favourites in this chapter. Mathea's role in this chapter meanwhile has been planned a little longer and you definitely chose the more interesting choice for her and for the PoV that is mainly going to cross paths with her in this chapter. Ah, I am happy about both choices, especially as I have not expected you to choose them with such a clear majority.

Now, I don't know if I will manage to finish the next part today. I have just gotten home from university and I am exhausted, which might affect my writing speed. However, I'm just going to close the voting and then I'll get to work and hope for the best. The next part will show us what Maya and Arthur have been up to in the meantime. As you may remember, Maya has been last seen after Gregar and Keat have been arrested by the city guard for breaking into the archive, which had been Irving's fault. In return, a disappointed Maya sent Irving away, before teaming up with Ser Aldrik, to free her companions, though she decided to try it through negotiation this time. Meanwhile, Arthur has been last seen during the beginning of the raid, when Wolfius managed to free himself in the chaos. Instead of pursuing him though, Arthur decided to follow the orders of his father and he instead helped the rather incompetent guardsman Aldus in evacuating the smallfolk.

However, regardless of wether or not I'll manage to finish the new part today, there should be something for you to read. @TheFurryOne has finished the next part of his mini-series about Lupin Frostborn and as far as I know, it should be out before the next part. I hope you enjoy it as well :)

• Oh my gosh. I just realized that Irving is still in the city and now I fear for his life.

The Voting is closed! Alys is going to agree giving Edward a sample of her blood Willfred is going to side with Mathea These choice

• I've extended the part with a second PoV, I need you to check it first to see if it's okay to post.

The Voting is closed! Alys is going to agree giving Edward a sample of her blood Willfred is going to side with Mathea These choice

• Indeed, Irving is still in the city, which puts him into the same danger as many of the other characters. That said, being naturally selfish and a bit of a coward gives him a surprising advantage when it comes to staying alive in the current situation. But well, we'll eventually see what he's up to and then you will see if your fears are justified.

AgentZ46 posted: »

Oh my gosh. I just realized that Irving is still in the city and now I fear for his life.

• edited November 2016

A Wolf in Lord’s Clothing Part 2

Lupin could remember Lord Gregory Wolfraven’s disappointment at discovering that the Frostborn twin that his eldest daughter was to marry was the short, skinny, quiet one instead of the tall, muscular, charming and handsome one that was Alphyn Frostborn. He could also remember the beating, the gore and the animalistic rage. Lupin grinned as flashes of that stuck-up firstborn’s final moments stained his mind. A rush of pain surged through his face. He grunted in pain and put his hands up to the blood-soaked bandages.

I need to see what that fuck did to me Lupin thought.

He dragged himself out of bed and stumbled towards the mirror. All he could see was darkness with these bandages on. He slowly tore them off, wincing at the pain as they pulled at his wounds. When they were off, he opened his working eye and gasped at himself in the mirror. He face was covered in deep, thick, crimson red cuts, swollen bruises and splotches of bleeding face holes. His left eye was swollen and of a purplish colour. He opened his mouth only to have a thick, syrup-like mixture of saliva and blood pour out.

Lupin suddenly awoke to a slicing pain across his left cheek. What had just happened? Was it a dream?

“I’m sorry my lord, it was an accident, I swear!” a young, feminine cry sounded out.

Lupin turned around to see a girl in her early teens cowering in front of him. He recognised her as a serving girl who had been sent by Uncle Darko to shave the stubble from Lupin’s face. Thalina Darkmoor was her name; a pretty, but cowardly little thing.

Lupin put his fingers to the stinging pain on his left cheek. When he withdrew, a mixture of shaving foam and blood was on his fingertips.

“Bitch” Lupin muttered.

Lupin took a step forward and she immediately backed against the wall and began sobbing.

“Please, my lord, I didn’t mean to!” she wailed.

Lupin took another step forward.

“Please I-” she screamed, before Lupin pounced like a predator and grasped her pretty little neck between his hands and squeezed tightly.

“Your voice is so fucking annoying” he whispered into her ear, and squeezed tighter.

He looked to the left to see his best friend Dariss Blackburn, a tall hulking mountain of meat standing by the doorway.

“By all means, my lord” he begun in his deep, rough voice. “Continue.”

Lupin sniggered and turned back towards Thalina.

“Most people like me prefer to stab or bash their victims” he whispered. “But me, I always preferred the art of strangulation. There’s no mess, no noise.”

Lupin then dug his thumbnails deep into her flesh as she rasped and gagged in pain.

“And you get the pleasure of watching the life leave your victim’s eyes” he began to cackle.

“P-please” she managed to wheeze.

Lupin’s grin turned into a frown.

“Very well then” he sighed. “I forgive you.”

He then released her of his deathly grip and allowed her to fall to the floor, gasping for air which had felt like she had not had for ages. She slowly picked herself up from the floor.

“Th-thank you my lord” she said in relief, before realizing that Lupin was now wielding a dagger in his hand.

Before she had the opportunity to speak Lupin carved a red smile in her throat from ear to ear, allowing crimson rain to fall out as she fell to the floor, dead.

“What kind of forgiveness was that?” Dariss questioned.

“I didn’t make it slow and sufferable did I?” Lupin chuckled.

His equally sadistic childhood friend and bodyguard laughed in agreement.

“Bury her somewhere in the usual place” Lupin commanded.

“It's the tourney in celebration of your betrothal, there's far too many people there my lord” Dariss responded.

Lupin wiped the blood and shaving foam from his face and pondered for a few brief moments.

“I know…” Lupin said as a fiendish smile stretched across his face.

Greysor Darkmoor
    The young sixteen year old, newly-recruited Frostborn guard Greysor Darkmoor was now beginning to become irritated. Why the Seven Hells was Lord Lupin taking so long? Greysor had been assigned to watch over the unsettling secondborn during to the tourney to celebrate his betrothal to Lord Wolfraven’s eldest daughter and make sure he did not get up to any mischief. Greysor, through the visor of his helmet, scanned the entire forest clearing through the crowds of drinking nobles and sword-swinging squires to find Lupin and was about to give up when he saw Alphyn Frostborn, surrounded by a flock of noble girls who seemed to be infatuated with the Thaumaturge heir, standing by a table full of different wines and other alcoholic beverages.

“Lord Alphyn!” exclaimed Greysor, making his way towards him. “May I speak with you?”

Alphyn, who seemed to be frankly uninterested in the girls around him, barged through them and made his way towards the guard.

“What is it?” Alphyn asked.

“Have you seen your brother Lupin? I’m supposed to be watching over him today” said Greysor.

“Ah, fuck him, if he doesn’t want to show up for a day put aside just for him then he deserves to be alone and miserable” Alphyn growled.

Greysor stood silent for a few moments, not knowing what exactly to say.

“Forget Lupin and enjoy yourself” Alphyn said. “There are plenty of lords and ladies to mingle with, and plenty more cups of wine to bury your sorrows in.”

“Thanks, my lord” Greysor said. “I hope to be a fully-fledged knight serving the Frostborns faithfully when you are the lord of Thaumaturge.”

“Alright, don’t be a kiss-arse” Alphyn grunted and walked back into the crowd of drunken lords. Alphyn had always seemed to be depressed and tired of everything since his bastard son's birth.

Greysor scanned the area once again. He noticed some lords that would be interesting to talk to. Sitting around a table were two men dressed in full armour. One of which seemed to be a half-giant judging by his extraordinary height, the other was far shorter, no taller than five feet and nine inches. He noticed for children sitting with them, two boys and two girls. He came to the conclusion that they must be Ryden Grimthorn and Ascar Bloodboar, both heirs to their respective houses.

Greysor noticed a few tables next to them was a reasonably tall, handsome-looking man with ashen-blonde hair and a smug look on his face standing next to a Wolfraven soldier. That surely must be Alistair Wolfraven, the eldest child of Lord Gregory Wolfraven and heir to the house. Alistair seemed to be talking to a noble girl, although by the look of her face his attempts at wooing her were failing.

Finally one certain lord stood out. A man of average height, pale skin, eyes like a Frostborn and blonde hair, he looked to be in his late twenties, perhaps even thirties. He must be Lord Woodbark, one of Lionel’s cousins. There was no one around him and he seemed to be drinking alone at a table, and he seemed to be staring at Greysor.

[Talk with Ryden Grimthorn and Ascar Bloodboar]

[Talk with Alistair Wolfraven]

[Talk to Lord Woodbark]

• Ah, as I have told you already, this is a great part. Lupin is such an unsettling character, it makes me both, afraid and excited for the moment where I can finally feature him in the story. Until then, I am happy that he can receive this sort of build-up, to make exactly the entrance he deserves. This second part with the new PoV was interesting as well. I enjoyed seeing glimpses of these characters that I have previously only known from your submissions, especially as I know how important some of these are. Greysor himself also seems like a pretty nice character from all I've seen so far. Great part, I am excited for more :)

[Talk to Lord Woodbark]

Well, that is a name I have certainly not expected to see there. Obviously, I am just too interested in such a meeting to pass up on the opportunity. That said, Ascar Bloodboar is another character I'd be interested in seeing more, especially as I know that his introduction in the regular story won't be too far away. But well, our dear friend Lord Woodbark is the one I am the most interested in.

TheFurryOne posted: »

A Wolf in Lord’s Clothing Part 2 Lupin could remember Lord Gregory Wolfraven’s disappointment at discovering that the Frostborn twin that

• [Talk to Lord Woodbark]

Wolfius surname was Woodbark, right?

A Wolf in Lord’s Clothing Part 2 Lupin could remember Lord Gregory Wolfraven’s disappointment at discovering that the Frostborn twin that

Well, hm.

Ryden Grimthorn is probably related to Ryler Grimthorn.

So that means if 'Lord Woodbark' isn't the man himself, his son is it. Probably not though, I don't think this takes place like a decade before the main story.

Hm. Thalina Darkmoor probably was Greysor's sister. Not good.

So it seems they all lived near and knew each other, Wolfius, Lupin, Ryler. Now I wonder if Lupin has something to do with that dire wolf...it could make sense, but it couldn't at the same time.

Jeez Lupin has got some issues.

• Apologies for the longer wait! As expected, I haven't managed to finish it yesterday. However, this turned out to be a good thing, as it gave me inspiration for Maya's part. In return, it grew longer and I had no room for Arthur's part anymore. For those of you who look forward for the return of Arthur, he will get his first PoV in this chapter in the next part :)

Maya

It was not surprising to Maya that she was by far not the only person trying to approach the headquarters of the city guard. Dozens of people had the same idea, maybe hundreds. They were seeking protection, help and maybe a chance to fight back. On her own, it would have been hard to get past them. Thankfully, she was accompanied by a heavily armed knight and his direwolf companion.

If anything, Ser Aldrik was better than anyone she had ever seen before when it came to gaining attention. He was intimidating as he walked down the street, boldly in the centre of it, while she just used the gap he and Knightfang naturally created to slip past the crowd. And he knew how to put on a show.

“Make way for the ambassador!”, he commanded, with a booming voice, in a tone that naturally made the smallfolk follow. “Make way for Ambassador Maya Iresons!” Maya knew she did a crappy job in representing Runestone and the Vale, at least compared to Aldrik. Still, she straightened her back and whenever someone looked at her, she met their gaze with confidence. She was representing now, wether she liked it or not.

The headquarters of the city guard were held only by a token force. It was small, at least compared to the fortified building Maya knew from Gulltown. A fence was supposed to keep people out, though right now, the large gate in its centre was opened. Two guards were standing there, with a third handing out swords to the smallfolk. Far in the distance, fighting could be heard, though she knew it was only a matter of time until it would reach this street as well. On top of that, the nightly sky was illuminated by the bright glow of fires.

“These people must be truly desperate”, Aldrik commented the scenery, as their progress got slowed down by the increasingly thick crowd of men who were waiting to receive their weapons. Maya clenched her fists. “I wish we could help”, she admitted and the knight gave her a nod. “Perhaps we can”, he offered. “After we freed Gregar and Keat. I know, I won't just hide somewhere. You're free to join if you want”

Maya raised an eyebrow. “I'm not really a fighter”, she responded and Aldrik shook his head. “But that's exactly how the Bronze Lord described you when he sent the letter that announced you at the Dyre Den”, he explained. “A fighter. Determined. Fierce and fearless. He told me how you caught his eye”

She sighed. Yeah, that damn day. “That man would have hurt my brother. Maybe killed him even”, she said and Aldrik shrugged. “There's no need to defend yourself”, he said. “Honestly, I find it admirable. Risking yourself for the sake of family” She smiled slightly. “It wasn't really a risk”, she claimed and he shook his head. “Lord Royce said that this man you knocked down had been two feet taller”

“Only means that he fell harder”, she answered and Aldrik grinned. “And yet you still claim you are not a fighter”, he argued. Just with these words, he stopped in front of the guards. One of the men looked up, his eyes widening immediately as he spotted the knight and his loyal direwolf, sitting peacefully next to him. “Ah... ah... wol... wolf...”, he stuttered and Aldrik gave him a nod.

“Ser Aldrik Wolver”, he introduced himself. “This is Knightfang. Do not worry, he is tame” He looked at Maya. “And this is Lady Ambassador Maya Iresons, envoy of Runestone and the Kingdom of Mountain and Vale” Maya felt a slight, baffled smile appearing on her face as he spoke her full title.

There was one similarity between the guards here in Raylansfair and the ones back home in Gulltown and in the rest of the world. The man immediately stood attention now that he apparently had someone with an important rank in front of him. Maya wisely decided not to mention that she actually was little more than a glorified thief.

“Lady Ambassador!”, he said with the tone of a man that believed anything Ser Aldrik would have claimed, simply because the man was obviously a knight. “How may I serve you?” Maya tried to look as important as possible before she answered. “I wish to speak to your commander. I have been informed about a misunderstanding, regarding two of my men”, she said.

The guard gulped. “Commander Nathamer, he... he's currently not here”, he revealed. “I don't know where he is...” Maya gave him an instinctively sharp look and the man gulped. “But Captain Stratford is in command right now”, he offered. “I can let you through and then you can talk to him”

Pleased with this, Maya gave him a nod. The guard took a step aside, before he raised a finger. “But... there are still the others”, he said and she narrowed her eyes. “The others?”, she asked and he sighed. “They arrived just a few minutes ago. Knights, like your man here”, he explained. “But they wore black and red and they had a prisoner with them”

“Black and red?”, Aldrik asked. “A dragon on the sigil?” The guard gave him a nod and the knight looked actually concerned. “What are Targaryen's doing here?”, he mumbled, more to himself than to anyone else. “This day is getting weirder and weirder” He looked up and at Maya. “We must speak to these men, find out what they are doing here”

The guard saluted again. “Well, you can wait inside”, he offered. “I'm sure Captain Stratford is going to talk to you soon” With these words, he allowed Maya and Aldrik to pass, though he threw a concerned look at the direwolf. Wisely, he remained silent about the large animal, as Aldrik opened the door, holding it for Maya as she entered first.

The interior of the headquarters looked even more depressing than the exterior. It was dimly lit and apparently, it was turned into a makeshift sickbay. Dozens of wounded have been taken here and there weren't even nearly enough cots for them. Neither were there enough people with medical knowledge. A couple of guardsmen tried to help their comrades as good as possible, but a cacophony of pained moans and wailing filled the air. On top of that, it reeked of death.

The men she was obviously looking for were standing in the centre of the room. Only one of them was a member of the city guard of Raylansfair, he was older, perhaps in his late forties, though still handsome, with short, blonde hair and a well-structured face. Around him stood three men, wearing the black and red of House Targaryen. In the dim light she spotted their hair. Golden and silver and black as the night. And bound in chains, held by the silver-haired knight stood...

“Ser Rodrik!”, Maya exclaimed, as she slowly approached the group. One of the knights, the dark-haired one with the full beard and the calm eyes, turned towards her and the sellsword knight did the same. Yes, this was clearly Ser Rodrik Stone. She still remembered him, when he talked to that bandit lord. And even before, she remembered the tales about him, the man who slew a Stone Crow chieftain at the age of seventeen and his own father, the lord Harrion Corbray, at the age of twenty.

It was the dark-haired man who approached her, followed by the city guard captain, while the other two knights remained behind, to guard their prisoner. Maya lowered her head, though it was only a small bow, considering that the rank Lord Royce bestowed upon her was probably higher than theirs. The knight reciprocated the gesture, though the captain remained stiff, slightly glaring at her, but especially at Ser Aldrik and his wolf.

“Greetings”, Maya said. “My name is Maya Iresons. I'm the Ambassador of the Vale of Arryn here in Raylansfair” The knight raised an eyebrow in curiosity, though he allowed the captain to speak first. “Welcome”, the man said, though it didn't sound like he meant it. “Captain Daemion Stratford, acting commander of the city guard” He pointed at the knight to his right, who spoke for himself. “Ser Orys Baratheon”, he introduced himself, in a calm, polite voice. “It's a pleasure, Lady Ambassador. What brings you here?”

Maya sighed. “Quite the problem, I'm afraid”, she answered and looked at the captain. “I have been informed that two of my men are in your custody” Stratford narrowed his eyes. “Those two belong to you?”, he asked. “They have been caught breaking into the archive”

“A misunderstanding”, Maya assured him and she was surprised how easy this lie came to her. Perhaps the knowledge of what would happen to her friends should they be convicted as thieves helped her with it. “They have misunderstood one of my orders and made a mistake. I have come to ask for mercy”

Stratford glared at her, not with hostility, but simply with the indifference of a man that was tired and worried for things greater than two of his prisoners. She could surely understand how he felt. “I don't know if I can do this”, he admitted. “Typically, such a request is brought to the commander himself. However, he is currently absent, searching for his daughter in this... mess”

Maya gulped as she noticed his hesitation. “It is a mess of a situation”, she admitted. “Which is precisely why I have come, to protect those I care for. These men helped me a great deal and I don't want anything to happen to them in the current events. They had no bad intentions...”

“They have been caught red-handed as they left the archive”, Daemion said. “One of them was carrying priceless documents. Those are pretty bad intentions if you ask me” He sighed. “Listen, Lady Ambassador, I don't mean to sound rude, but I have no time for that right now. I have to organize the defence of this city”, he explained. “Once this is done, if we all live to see another day, you can make an appointment with Commander Nathamer”

Now, Maya clenched her fists, noticing that he was decidedly unwilling to listen to her bargain. On top of that, she had to admit that he had a point. Gregar and Keat had been caught, there was hard evidence against them. A less burdened guardsman could have been bribed, but this man clearly had more important worries than getting a little bit of extra coin. She had to try regardless. This was the lives of her friends on the line.

“Captain, perhaps there is a way we can find common ground here, so that you allow me to take my men with me when I leave”, she said. “The Vale is rich and powerful, we...” He cut her off again, with impatience this time. “You are not the Vale”, he growled. “And I don't take bribes. If your men broke the law, Commander Nathamer will decide on their punishment, but until then, they have to remain locked up”

To Maya's surprise, it was the Targaryen knight who helped her out. Ser Orys spoke in a calm, gentle voice, which was surprising, considering his massive frame. “Captain Stratford, maybe I can offer a different perspective here”, he said. “It is clear you have your convictions in this argument, which I find admirable. Yet at the same time, Lady Maya has understandable concerns. The city guard can't hope to hold this street, or even just this building when the raiders arrive”

Stratford crossed his arms. “Let this be none of your concern, Ser Orys”, he said. “We have the situation under control” This was a lie, as Maya noticed and Orys did so as well. The knight furrowed his brows. “Captain, we all know this is not true”, he stated. “This street will fall. You might be able to defend it for a while, but eventually, you have to search for a better position to defend, especially if one of the gates gives in. There is a reason a majority of your men are rather defending the central square, isn't it?”

This caused the captain to sigh. “This does not mean that I can let prisoners leave just like this”, he said and Orys shook his head. “This means exactly that, Captain”, he answered sternly. “You said it yourself, they are thieves. Not murderers, not rapists, not arsonists or any other kind of dangerous criminal. If the Ironborn come, you'll have to leave in a hurry. You will carry your wounded, but none will even care to think about your prisoners”

Stratford clenched his teeth. “You... may have a point”, he admitted reluctantly. “But this is simply something I can't decide on my own” Orys gave him a deep look. “Yes, captain, you can”, he answered. “Because in return, you will receive something important”

Now, the captain narrowed his eyes. “And what will this be?”, he asked. Orys smirked. “My help”, he answered. “And the help of Gordar and Rahaerys” His offer took not only Maya by surprise. Stratford looked at him in confusion as well. “Ser Orys, that would be... accptable”, he stated. “But... you would make such an offer just to help out the ambassador?”

Orys gave him a nod and glanced at Maya. “Though first I would like to speak to you, mylady”, he answered and Maya pressed her lips together. “Of course, Ser”, she managed to say. He pointed back at his two knights and gave her a sign to follow, as they stepped past the captain and towards the two other knights and their prisoner.

Up close, the golden-haired man gave her a friendly smile, while the silver-haired man looked more aloof. And then there was Ser Rodrik, who glared at everyone with equal anger, though he seemed to reserve a special spot for Orys. “Lady Ambassador, these are Gordar Celtigar and Rahaerys Velaryon”, he introduced his companions. “And I have noticed you are already familiar with Ser Rodrik Stone”

“I don't know that bitch”, Rodrik growled and up close, Maya saw the fresh bruises on his face. Someone, likely Orys, had beaten him up badly and she couldn't hide a grim satisfaction at the thought. “I have seen you before”, she answered. “A few weeks ago, when you were meeting with the bandit”

“Bear”, Rodrik growled. “Fuck him. And fuck you. Killed a few of his men while you made your escape. Nearly caused our whole alliance to go sour” Orys silenced him simply by raising his hand. “We encountered Ser Rodrik while he was assaulting a group of people down the eastern road”, he explained. “He opted to fight me and he lost, so I took him prisoner. Brought him here, with the hopes of giving him the fair trial he deserves as a knight”

These words caused Rodrik to smirk in bewildered amusement. “You're a fucking bastard idiot, Baratheon”, he spat. “My men are on their way. They are going to free me and they are going to kill you and your men” Though anger flared up in Orys' eyes, he shook his head. “We'll see about that”, he answered. “And I told you, I won't compromise my honour because of the threats of a mad dog. Bark all the way you want, Stone, it won't change the fact that you're going to hang for your crimes”

Mentioning his last name caused Rodrik to growl with anger, though Orys visibly did not care. He looked back at Maya. “Unfortunately, we have encountered a problem not unlike yours. This building won't be safe enough to hold him, not right now”, he explained. “I was going to escort him to the castle, where they could lock him up more safely, but that was when you arrived”

“So, you want my help in bringing him to the castle”, Maya deduced and Orys smiled. “That way, I could join the fight. I have two of the finest knights sworn to King Aegon with me and I know, together we can make a difference here”, he explained.

One of his words caused Maya to listen up in particular. “King Aegon?”, she asked and Orys sighed. “Explaining it would be a long story. Let's just say, I will help you in saving the lives of your friends here and one day, you might be able to save some lives as well. I believe, in the days to come, it can be helpful to have good contacts to the Vale of Arryn”

This statement, as ominous as it sounded, clearly wasn't meant as a threat, yet Maya felt uneasy nonetheless. “So, how can I help now?”, she asked and Orys smiled in relief. “If you agree to escort Ser Rodrik to the castle, Captain Stratford has to agree to give you more men for this. Your knight looks like a tough fellow, but Rodrik is dangerous. Your two men from the cells could be perfect for that”, he answered. “This will leave Stratford's men free to help where they are needed and the same will apply to mine. A perfect deal”

“It's tempting”, Maya admitted, though she herself felt nervous at the thought of having Rodrik Stone so close to her. His temper was famous and he was ruthless enough to slay his own father. Right now, the bastard smiled at her and she saw that the beating he received had also claimed a good part of his front teeth, which explained his slightly slurred speech. “Sure, you bitch”, he chuckled. “Just go ahead and accept. Then I'll have my way with you once my men come to free me”

The golden-haired knight, Gordar, smiled at Maya. “Don't listen to him, mylady”, he told her. “I doubt this man can have his way with anyone. That would probably explain a lot about his attitude” Rodrik narrowed his eyes, though he remained silent under the stern glare of the silver-haired knight that held his chains.

Before she was able to make a decision, Maya's glance fell upon the sword on Orys' belt. Depite being sheathed, she recognized it, thanks to the distinctive ruby in its pommel, shaped like a heart. “Lady Forlorn”, she said and Orys gave her a nod. “A sword too fine for a man like him”, he answered. “Valyrian Steel. It broke my sword in our fight, so I had to take it in return”

“It belongs to House Corbray”, Maya argued and he nodded again. “And House Corbray will receive it”, he promised. “Unlike Stone, I am not a thief. Your presence here makes it even easier for me to return it to the rightful owner. I'm sure his half-brother will be pleased to have it back” His hand moved to the sheath. “Actually, I can hand it over to you right now, if you insist. I'm sure I'll find another weapon to defend myself with”

“That won't be necessary”, Maya assured him. “Keep it until this fight is over” He seemed pleased with her answer. “Thank you, Lady Ambassador”, he said sincerely. “But what is with the rest of my offer? You'll receive your men and custody over Ser Rodrik, to bring him to the castle, where he can receive a trial and a fair sentence”

Once again, Maya shot a look at the sellsword. Rodrik was bruised, beaten and in chains, yet there was something inherently threatening about him. A kinslayer, cursed by the laws of gods and men, a man without honour, capable of any atrocity. Was she truly willing to risk having him close? Though it would save Gregar and Keat...

“And if I refuse?”, she asked, unable to fully hide her nervousness. “Your good right”, Orys answered politely. “And even understandable, from your position. Yet my offer would help your friends as well. Stratford would have no other choice but to agree. My men would be free to help this city and your men would be free from their chains and the danger they are in if they remain here”

He sighed. “Though to be fair, I should admit that you might be able to convince Stratford otherwise. In that case, this would not be up to me, but to whatever you can offer”, he stated. “Though I should warn you. Daemion Stratford is not the kind of man you can bribe. He'll accept my suggestion, because it includes valuable help for this city. Unless you are confident that you can give him something similar, you should consider my offer” He glanced at Rodrik, who smirked, then back at her. “I won't judge you for the choice you make, mylady, but I'm afraid I will need an answer right now”

[Accept Orys' offer] [Decline Orys' offer]

• [Accept Orys' offer] Team Targaryen!!! Orys can get an inside man out of Maya when they start the invasion, which is always helpful. Also, it'll allow Orys and crew to help out against the raiders. I see nothing bad with this, like nothing at all. Maybe there is a chance for Rodrik to escape, but I am willing to take it if it means it allows for Orys to save the smallfolk, and gets Keat and Gregar out of the can.

Apologies for the longer wait! As expected, I haven't managed to finish it yesterday. However, this turned out to be a good thing, as it gav

• [Accept Ory's offer] I think the benefits here outweigh any potential problem.

• [Decline Orys' offer]

I mean, I guess there isn't a lot of negatives but no, Maya will not be joining Team Targaryen.

To be honest I don't know why I'm voting this. We'll see whatever happens.

Apologies for the longer wait! As expected, I haven't managed to finish it yesterday. However, this turned out to be a good thing, as it gav

• [Accept Orys' offer]

• [Accept Orys's offer]

• edited November 2016

[Accept Orys' offer]

Yeah, I agree that I don't really see any potential bad things occurring from accepting the offer. Let's just hope I'm right... because anything can happen.

• [Decline Orys' offer]

It's no fun if everyone's team Targaryen

• [Accept Orys' offer] I think this is the safest bet on getting Gregar and Keat out. If this means Maya joining Team Targaryen then so be it :p

• [Decline Orys' offer] I don't like the idea of allying with the Targaryen's.

• edited November 2016

[Decline Orys' offer]

Honestly, I already see Rodrik wounding them and running away. No thanks.

Maya is smart, she will convience guard somehow else.

• [Decline Orys' offer]

• [Accept Orys' offer]

Sign in to comment in this discussion.