Monkey Island Movie - Who would YOU cast?

Comments

• edited January 2010
    Ashton wrote: »
    The sad part is that, despite you saying this as a joke, your probably 100% correct...

I know... Now I got to go cry in the corner... DX
  • what irritating bitch would you get to play Morgan? worst character ever btw
  • russell crowe?
  • edited January 2010
    ^this. Is. Genius.
    Billy Connolly as LeChuck is interesting, because when Bill Nighy played Davy Jones (probably based on LeChuck), he used an accent that reminded me quite a bit of Billy Connolly. It even had that kind of nasally tone to it.
    Shainagirl wrote: »
    Aww thanks Fealiks. And I knew I was saying Shannyn's name wrong somehow... as for Kate Voegele, she plays Mia on One Tree Hill. She's got the look, plus her voice is a lot like Morgan's. Here's a photo of her:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_CZ152YVVbDE/SK0FYndoQ-I/AAAAAAAACMA/_HT8keuP-IY/s320/KateVoegele.jpg

I thought of something else... I don't know his real name, but Hagrid (Harry Potter) would make a good LeChuck... or Haggis. Either one would be pretty awesome.
    I just looked it up, his name is Robbit Coltrane... also, he's Scottish apparently, so he'd make a perfect Haggis :D
    what irritating bitch would you get to play Morgan? worst character ever btw
    russell crowe?

Frankly, I don't think Russell Crowe's got the hips to play Morgan. Sure, he has the full lips and sexy voice, but he just doesn't feel right to me.
  • edited January 2010
    Thanks Ashton... I now carry this horrid image in my head of our beloved Elaine played by that little Hannah/Miley brat... dressed in a bandana and tights, prancing about the ship singing "7 things I hate about Lechuck"

*falls down dead from the horror*
    I just looked it up, his name is Robbit Coltrane... also, he's Scottish apparently, so he'd make a perfect Haggis

Thanks for looking that up!
  • edited January 2010
    Guybrush: Michael Cera
    Elaine: Keira Knightley
    LeChuck: Tim Curry or Christopher Lee
    Voodoo Lady: Whoopi Goldberg
    Morgan LeFlay: Amanda Bynes
    Carla: Halle Berry
    Otis: Norm MacDonald
    Meathook: Russell Crowe
    Captain Smirk: Robert DeNiro or Christopher Walken
    Stan: Dan Aykroyd
    Herman Toothrot: Christopher Lloyd
    Largo: Verne Troyer
    Wally: Rick Moranis
    Captain Dread: Dave Chappelle or Chris Rock
    Murray: Voice of Denny Delk
    Haggis MacMutton: Robin Williams
    Edward Van Helgen: Johnny Depp
    Cutthroat Bill: Christian Bale
    Palido Domingo: Cheech Marin
    King Andre: Samuel L. Jackson
    Captain Rene Rottingham: Jean Reno
    Griswold Goodsoup: Christopher Lee
    Ozzie Mandrill: Russell Crowe
    Ignatius Cheese: Harvey Fierstein
  • edited January 2010
    Guybrush: Michael Cera
    LeChuck: Tim Curry or Christopher Lee
    Voodoo Lady: Whoopi Goldberg
    Morgan LeFlay: Amanda Bynes
    Otis: Norm MacDonald
    Meathook: Russell Crowe
    Captain Smirk: Robert DeNiro or Christopher Walken
    Stan: Dan Aykroyd
    Herman Toothrot: Christopher Lloyd
    Largo: Verne Troyer
    Wally: Rick Moranis
    Captain Dread: Dave Chappelle or Chris Rock
    Murray: Voice of Denny Delk
    Haggis MacMutton: Robin Williams
    Cutthroat Bill: Christian Bale
    Palido Domingo: Cheech Marin
    Captain Rene Rottingham: Jean Reno
    Griswold Goodsoup: Christopher Lee
    Ozzie Mandrill: Russell Crowe
    Ignatius Cheese: Harvey Fierstein

Great ideas, but (no offense) the idea of Michael Cera playing Guybrush makes me shudder... because he wouldn't play Guybrush... he'd play the same character he plays in every other movie. It would be like if Kristen Stewart tried to be Elaine.
  • edited January 2010
    Shainagirl wrote: »
    Great ideas, but (no offense) the idea of Michael Cera playing Guybrush makes me shudder... because he wouldn't play Guybrush... he'd play the same character he plays in every other movie. It would be like if Kristen Stewart tried to be Elaine.

The idea of him playing any character in any movie makes me shudder. The success he's been experiencing is even more baffling than Shia LaBeouf.
  • edited February 2010
    Mila Kunis as Kate Capsize! Also, I think it would be pretty funny if Gilbert Gottfried was one of the cannibals.
  • edited February 2010
    Oh, and Jerry Stiller and Doris Roberts as Guybrush's parents would be pretty funny.
  • edited February 2010
    Cera is, imo, the only one with a face goofy enough to do Guybrush. Of course, if we're talking making a SMI movie, not Tales.

However, if you're looking for a more mature Guybrush, I'd say Ben Foster could fit the role.
  • edited February 2010
    zmally wrote: »
    the men of low moral fibre?

gervais_ongu_200.jpg

that was easy :)

They would be perfect.

If there were ever to be a Monkey Island movie adaptation, I'd probably want it to take a slightly more serious tone than the games. It would obviously still need some humor, but I think it'd have to lose some of the "zanier" stuff from the latter games and the most fourth-wall stuff from the former. I wrote half of a SoMI screenplay a couple years ago (mostly just for writing practice), I thought I had struck a good balance between humor and drama, faithful vs new directions, etc.

Edit: Dunno why it won't show the picture, but yeah, Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant and Karl Pilkington would be perfect for the men of low moral fibre.
  • edited February 2010
    I would cast Nolan North, Crispin Freeman, Steven Jay Blum and Yuri Lowenthal in every role
  • edited February 2010
    If there were a MI movie, I'd need lines like...
    "I can't do that!"
    "That won't work!"
    and
    "Hmmm... No."
  • edited February 2010
    TomPravetz wrote: »
    If there were a MI movie, I'd need lines like...
    "I can't do that!"
    "That won't work!"
    and
    "Hmmm... No."

And of course "That's the mast!"
  • edited February 2010
    I could see Danny DeVito being the short bald Man of Low Moral Fiber who can't stop laughing and so gets bashed on the head a lot.
  • edited February 2010
    I also think Gilbert Gottfried as the Head of the Navigator might be pretty funny.
  • edited February 2010
    Reginald Winslow: Wayne Brady

I know he's not fat enough, but he could make the role a whole lot of fun
  • edited February 2010
    Remolay wrote: »
    Reginald Winslow: Wayne Brady

I know he's not fat enough, but he could make the role a whole lot of fun

I've never pictured Winslow Black as in African-American. I've always thought he was one of them Blacks with European faces, kind of like Latin Blacks.

Also, I'd also suggest my choice of Elaine as Bonnie Wright, if Cera is to be cast for Guybrush.
  • edited February 2010
    Uzrname wrote: »
    I've never pictured Winslow Black as in African-American. I've always thought he was one of them Blacks with European faces, kind of like Latin Blacks.

You mean like people from India?
  • edited February 2010
    Guybrush: Dean Haglund ^^
    LeChuck: Rob Zombie ^^
    Voodoo Lady: Oprah Winfrey
    Meathook: The Rock
    Stan: Jim Carrey
    Wally: Elijah Wood
    Captain Dread: Lil John
    Murray: Bill Murray :-/
  • edited February 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    You mean like people from India?
    I mean a face like OJ's. Black but at the same time kinda Caucasian.
  • edited February 2010
    Spooky666 wrote: »
    Meathook: The Rock

If ya smellllllll what Meathook is cookin'!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3dfJ2mE6u0
  • edited February 2010
    Uzrname wrote: »
    Cera is, imo, the only one with a face goofy enough to do Guybrush. Of course, if we're talking making a SMI movie, not Tales.

However, if you're looking for a more mature Guybrush, I'd say Ben Foster could fit the role.

I also think that Cary Elwes would be a great Guybrush if he were younger.
  • edited February 2010
    I also think that Cary Elwes would be a great Guybrush if he were younger.

Uuhhhh, i hate this guy, since he played this useless asshole in The X Files. ^^
  • edited February 2010
    This isn't casting, but if a movie were to ever happen (which it won't), it'd be great if it had music like this, imo. It definitely makes me think of what a movie version of Curse-era MI would sound like, except a little more "piratey" of course.
  • edited March 2010
    Spooky666 wrote: »
    Uuhhhh, i hate this guy, since he played this useless asshole in The X Files. ^^

If you saw him in The Princess Bride or Robin Hood: Men in Tights.
  • edited March 2010
    If you saw him in The Princess Bride or Robin Hood: Men in Tights.

Yeah, Liar Liar had turned me against the guy until I saw those movies. He also did a decent villain in Ella Enchanted, even if the movie wasn't so great.
  • edited March 2010
    I'd have it traditionally animated, and have the original cast of voices.

Except that Guybrush should be live action, played by James Earl Jones in a blonde wig.

Oh, and Verne Troyer as Elaine, naturally.

Oh, and Yao Ming as Le Chuck
  • edited March 2010
    For Guybrush's character I propose B.J. Novak (Ryan in "The Office" sit-com)
    ryan-howard.jpg
  • edited March 2010
    For Guybrush's character I propose B.J. Novak (Ryan in "The Office" sit-com)
    ryan-howard.jpg

He's kind of a douche nowadays. Ryan, I mean, not BJ Novak.
  • edited March 2010
    Guybrush-Owen Wilson guybrushii.png
    LeChuck/Fester Shinetop-The Rock lechuckzombie.png
    Wally-Seth Green wallya.png
    Voodo Lady-Whoopi Goldberg
    Carla The Swordmaster-Halle Berry
    Stan-Jim Carrey
    Largo Lagrande-Ben Stiller
    Meathook-Vin Diesel
    Herman Toothrot-Ian McKellen
  • edited April 2010
    Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms, and Zach Galifianakis (The Hangover guys) as the Men of Low Moral Fiber!!!
  • edited May 2014
    Personally, I think it would be best to just make an animated movie. I mean, we're all so attached to the voices. I dunno. I'm not a huge fan of plopping celebs into a movie just because they're celebs. Just look at the original Star Wars. Small names at the time-- huge movie.

I dunno.
    Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms, and Zach Galifianakis (The Hangover guys) as the Men of Low Moral Fiber!!!

I think this is a great idea, and while we're at it, let's make Patton Oswalt one of LeChuck's ghost pirate minions.

It is 3:25 AM.
  • edited June 2010
    A Monkey Island movie would have to be animated, with Dominic as Guybrush, Earl Boen as LeChuck, etc. It just wouldn't work if it wasn't this way. I know I wouldn't watch it.
  • edited June 2010
    Neelo wrote: »
    A Monkey Island movie would have to be animated, with Dominic as Guybrush, Earl Boen as LeChuck, etc. It just wouldn't work if it wasn't this way. I know I wouldn't watch it.
    I was just about to say the same thing :(

Yeah, I'd TOTALLY watch a cartoon Monkey Island movie.

But it's just not going to happen. They don't make cartoons anymore. Just... computer graphics :(
  • edited August 2010
    Guybrush1= macauly culkin
    Guybrush2= owen wilson
    Carla= jada pinkett smith
    Voodoo lady= queen latifah
    Meathook= vin diesel
    Van Helgen=johnny depp
    Bill= martin klebba
    Troll= george lucas
    Griswold= michael cane
    Ozzie Mandrill= geoffrey rush
    Melée storekeeper= david kelly
  • edited August 2010
    Taylor Lautner as Stan. He's got the hair, the squinty eyes and the cheesy grin already.
  • edited August 2010
    Guybrush is pretty young unless you're going off his later years such as EMI and TOMI...

These people you guys said are too old.
  • edited August 2010
    doodo! wrote: »
    Guybrush is pretty young unless you're going off his later years such as EMI and TOMI...

These people you guys said are too old.

Err, EMI only takes place like a couple months after CMI. Though in the Tales games, he looks like he's in his 30s. (Which I think he is...)

As for thread topic, my vote's with "animated". Not so much for the voices, but because I think of Monkey Island as something that *needs* to be animated to be done properly. IMO, the cartoony nature of the series is one of the things that truely distinguishes it away from Pirates of the Caribbean.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.