WE WANT ANOTHER MONKEY ISLAND GAME

2»

Comments

• edited July 2015

That doesn't look very piratey. I would have expected that a game advertised in "WE WANT ANOTHER MONKEY ISLAND GAME" thread has some Jolly Rogers and grog-swilling pirates.

Ruspiee posted: »

We are developing a like MonkeyIsland game: Gayway is now live on Kickstarter! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/camouflame/gayway ..its destiny now is in the hands of gamers!

• more monkey island !
    Just do it!

• edited July 2015

While we are waiting another Monkey Island game, you might want to try other pirate adventures.

Bill Tiller's (who was lead background artist on the Curse of Monkey Island) pirate adventure Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island was all right. It looks nice and has a lot of potential, but it's nowhere near as fun as Monkey Island and it ended bit abruptly. Currently he is making it's spin-off called Duke Grabowski: Mighty Swashbuckler! and Dave Grossman also participates to that project.

Besides Tiller's games, another pirate adventures worth mentioning are Wizardbox's So Blonde and it's spin-off Captain Morgane and the Golden Turtle. Those games aren't as good as Monkey Island, but they offer some funny jokes and puzzles. And I enjoyed playing them.

Does anyone know any other pirate adventures?

• edited August 2015

Well there's the free AGS game Nelly Cootalot: Spoonbeaks Ahoy! and it's (not so free) sequel Nelly Cootalot: The Fowl Fleet! which was Kickstarted back in 2013, that has not been released yet.

While we are waiting another Monkey Island game, you might want to try other pirate adventures. Bill Tiller's (who was lead background ar

• We want another MI chapter!

• What does Telltale have to do with it? Monkey Island moved away from the 2D style long before Telltale made their installment.

They really just need to get to it already. I prefer the classic, 2D art style, but you know telltale... MORE MONKEY ISLAND PLEASE!

• My kids and I thoroughly enjoyed the five chapters of Tales of Monkey Island. I would certainly pay for another version whether it be 5 or 10 chapters.
    If the development team require funding justification to begin another MI game, start a kickstarter round which will fund the initial development process and show the commitment of the market.

I'll commit to it. What do you think pirates?

• I've played every Monkey Island game (except Escape from MI) and I absolutely love the franchise. However, I think the chances of a new Monkey Island game are 0%. Disney now owns the rights to Monkey Island and is there really anyone on the planet that thinks they're going to do anything with it? And, as said before, even if TellTale got the rights, I'm sure they wouldn't do anything with it. They're getting way more popular with games like The Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us, while I think the market for a new Monkey Island game is very niche.

• edited October 2015

They're letting Double Fine remaster Grim Fandango and Day of the Tentacle, so I don't see why they wouldn't also let them develop new games in whatever franchise they wanted to, assuming those are profitable. I'd much rather have Double Fine work on any future LucasArts licenses than Telltale. Please keep Telltale away from everything I love.

I've played every Monkey Island game (except Escape from MI) and I absolutely love the franchise. However, I think the chances of a new Monk

• God just picture how wonderful Monkey Island would be with the choice system factored in...

I've played every Monkey Island game (except Escape from MI) and I absolutely love the franchise. However, I think the chances of a new Monk

• DOulbe ine sounds fine. THough Tales of MI fwere pretty good, better than expected at least : :)

• I'd love to see a new Monkey Island very soon it's been a while since the last 1.
    It's not like in the good old days were they brought first game out then year after the follow up.

Can you get Any Monkey Island games for Android phones mine from Xperia Z3.
    Thanks.

• You realise there was 6 years between Monkey Island 2 and 3, and 8 years between 4 and Tales?

I'd love to see a new Monkey Island very soon it's been a while since the last 1. It's not like in the good old days were they brought firs

• I absolutely vote on please, Telltale, make a new Tales of Monkey Island: Season Two.

I will fully support a Kickstarter in this direction. I want Telltale to make adventures again but realize they're not as profitable as their current Walking Dead-style games, so a Kickstarter would be the perfect solution. Throw in the Monkey Island license and you've got a shoo-in. Hell, I'll hype it up in the gaming press to buggery.

Sam & Max: Season 4 would be the lesser second option, but also acceptable.

• Hi I was on about MI 1 and 2.
    I know the other games after that was big gaps in years but at the end of the day it just keeps us waiting for more and making us more hungry for more.

Do you know what happened to World of Monkey Island site it won't come up when I last looked on there?.

The Tingler posted: »

You realise there was 6 years between Monkey Island 2 and 3, and 8 years between 4 and Tales?

• Yes please. More Monkey Island!

• Offline I'm afraid. Scumm Bar is still up, as is central hub Mixnmojo.com.

Hi I was on about MI 1 and 2. I know the other games after that was big gaps in years but at the end of the day it just keeps us waiting fo

• Stop ignoring us you goddamn TellTale. WE WANT ANOTHER MONKEY ISLAND GAME!!!

• edited March 2016

Here's what's a little frustrating

1. Telltale's "original" business plan was to make narrative driven games that were not too ambitious in scope so that profitability would be easy
    2. By all accounts Tales of Monkey Island was plenty profitable.
    3. The voodoo lady at the end of Tales clearly hinted that not only was there more in store for Morgan La Flay but that the she was also up to something as well.
    4. Despite the dissolution of Lucasarts, I'm sure Disney would happily let anyone do anything as long as its profitable. Telltale has clearly shown that they can create profitable games.
    5. Unfortunately, here is what I suspect has happened. Like Lucasarts before it, Telltale has grown too big and has lots its soul. They are no longer an "indie" developer. They are now a "AAA" developer. Handling properties like Minecraft, Game of Thrones, and Batman is no joke. They will now only handle what they feel will be the largest most commercially successful properties from now on.
    6. For Tales to happen now, there will need to be an offshoot from Telltale because Telltale lost its soul just like Lucasarts did when it got too big with Star Wars.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator

Telltale does still make games with smaller, indie characters though. Its last Sam & Max game was in 2013, after the success of The Walking Dead. Plus, Kevin Bruner stated that there will be a new Sam & Max game in the future.

With Monkey Island, it's definitely a rights issue. Note that it's not just Lucasfilm and Disney that are involved in the rights, there's also Sony, as Sony went after the rights for all the LucasArts adventure games.

So, in order for anyone to make a Monkey Island game (or any other game based on a LucasArts adventure property, except for Sam & Max, as Steve Purcell own the rights to those characters), they'd have to make the deal through Disney, Lucasfilm, and Sony. Sony would make them make it PlayStation exclusive on consoles (as they did for Double Fine's Grim Fandango Remastered and Day of the Tentacle Remastered), and that goes against Telltale's game design philosophy (as they strive to have their games on as many platforms as possible).

bsantanu posted: »

Here's what's a little frustrating * Telltale's "original" business plan was to make narrative driven games that were not too ambitious

• edited March 2016

Wow! Sony going after the lucasarts titles? That's weird and news to me! So what's the current status of that anyways (regarding Sony and lucasarts)? The link was sparse on details.I hope Sony never got any rights. Thanks for the info.

PS. Most people don't consider poker a proper Sam n Max game! :)

Jennifer posted: »

Telltale does still make games with smaller, indie characters though. Its last Sam & Max game was in 2013, after the success of The Wal

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited March 2016

The reason why Sony obtained the rights to the LucasArts adventure games is that the senior director of third party production at Sony is Gio Corsi, who used to co-lead LucasArts, prior to the purchase of Lucasfilm by Disney.

So far, Double Fine's been making remastered versions of Tim Schafer's LucasArts games, which were sub-licensed through Sony. Grim Fandango Remastered came out last year for Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita. Day of the Tentacle Remastered came out last week for Windows, Mac, PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita, and will be out soon for Linux. Full Throttle Remastered comes out next year for Windows, Mac, Linux, PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita.

Beyond that, no one knows what Sony's plans are with the LucasArts adventure games. Though, many have noticed that all of the LucasArts adventure games outside of the ones that have gotten or are already announced to be getting the special edition and remastered treatment have been released on GOG.com and/or Steam except for The Curse of Monkey Island and Escape from Monkey Island (not counting Labyrinth). This might mean that Sony has plans for remastered versions of those two games, or is planning something else with the Monkey Island license, but nothing has been announced so far.

bsantanu posted: »

Wow! Sony going after the lucasarts titles? That's weird and news to me! So what's the current status of that anyways (regarding Sony a

• Thanks again for the info!

The reason why Sony obtained the rights to the LucasArts adventure games is that the senior director of third party production at Sony is Gi

• I still want a new Monkey Island game.

• I'd even be happy with a remake of Tales, so underrated imo...

• would love new monkey island game but cant see it happening

• Oh, what I wouldn't give! Please!!

• I would definitely buy another Monkey Island. It's my favorite point'n'click adventure game. Telltale/Disney pretty please make the dream come true! With sugar on top :)

• That isn't true. The last Sam & Max Games are from 2010. Sam & Max the devil's playhouse. That's 7 years ago.

Telltale does still make games with smaller, indie characters though. Its last Sam & Max game was in 2013, after the success of The Wal

• What he said is a poker like type of game. Not a full game. This isn't what we want. We want a full season of Sam & Max. That article was from 2013 it's been 4 years now and nothing. Please listen to us. I can of understand the Money Island IP that sounds like a nightmare. You guys say one thing but your no actions for years speak another.

The reason why Sony obtained the rights to the LucasArts adventure games is that the senior director of third party production at Sony is Gi

• Well, there were 10 years between Escape from Monkey Island and Tales of Monkey Island. If we go by those numbers, we're getting close. Only three more years to wait.

• I would love, love, love more Monkey Island! If they could make that happen I would be so far beyond happy.

• yes, please

• there were 10 years between Escape from Monkey Island and Tales of Monkey Island

Not exactly. Escape came out in September 2000 while the first episode of Tales was released in July 2009. But yeah, that's beside the point. Some years ago, when Disney acquired Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, I've overheard about them making it their mainframe "pirates" franchise, and even Grossman himself nodded at several similarities between many characters and storylines thereof. So, in other words, so long as Disney keeps PotC running, there is little chance of them becoming interested in reviving Monkey Island. That is so to speak, since we do see a decline in the general audience numbers with every new Pirates installment (I wouldn't count on there being a sixth installment at least before 2025). Therefore, yeah, we might get a go somewhere with this, however, once again, Disney seems much more interested in cashing in from movies, not from games. And no, the issue isn't the fact that Telltale grew too important, today you have several other, smaller game developers out in the open, looking for contracts.

Well, there were 10 years between Escape from Monkey Island and Tales of Monkey Island. If we go by those numbers, we're getting close. Only three more years to wait.

• sits and waits patiently while whistling the monkey island theme

• Count with my grog jar!

• I hope if another Monkey Island comes out, that Double Fine makes it. I don't want a barely interactive movie, I want a game with puzzles.

• Please make a new monkey island game! It’s like weed, it will sell itself.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.