Will Jon Snow pardon or execute Gared?

Given that Gared was to be executed for killing Britt and then flees Castle Black on the eve of his execution. If the events of Hardhome and the Battle of the Bastards are going to be in Season 2, do you think Jon will execute Gared for desertion or will he be pardoned because Jon needs all the help he needs to reclaim Winterfell?

Tagged:

Comments

• Since the Nights Watch itself betrayed Jon, I pretty much doubt that Jon would execute Gared for what he did. Jon knows that Gared only did what he did because Britt had killed Gared's family, so I can see Jon forgiving him.

• That is very hard to answer, as it completely depends on the circumstances of Jon - or in other words, how far into the series the next game will start. It's hard to say when Gared and "his forces" will arrive at the Wall, since TellTale can make him arrive whenever they want him to. I'd say that they'll (TellTale) make Jon forgive Gared, after some sort of conversation/convincing if they have to meet at all. I doubt Jon will care much anyway if Gared arrives after his death, all the other things that need his attention considered.

• That's really hard to say. Assuming if Season 2 start immediately where it left off, then that would take place in the middle of Season 4 and Mance was marching to besiege the Wall. Which would make it harder for Gared to cross because Jon did not become Lord Commander until sometimes in Season 5. If there is a timeskip and Jon has become Lord Commander, he might be able to help Gared cross the Wall.

Both scenarios would require some talk and hard convincing through since Gared is still a deserter.

But if we are by end of Season 5, Jon would no doubt jump at the chance for more human crossing the Wall. You know, White Walkers and that.

• I do hope Telltale makes the dialogue choices between Gared and Jon challenging. The right choices, he lets you live. The wrong choices, Jon chops Gared's head off with Longclaw.

That's really hard to say. Assuming if Season 2 start immediately where it left off, then that would take place in the middle of Season 4 an

• Frostfinger made the prediction the Night Watch would end Gared's life sooner or later. That's a pretty ominous omen if I ever heard one.

• Well, I'd argue that it'd be hypocritical of Jon to do that, but apparently Telltale enjoy going down that route.

Otherwise, it wouldn't make sense, at least in my game, if he did kill him. Jon told my Gared that he understood what happened, but that he wasn't in a position to help. Now Jon is in a position to help, so he better do that.

• edited May 2017

Or, how about, Gared arrives at Hardhome and meets up with Jon before they see the clan leaders? He's pardoned and told to wait outside. When the White Walkers appear during the loading of people onto the boats, Gared gets a red choice: stay and fight OR leave with the boats. He stays, he dies and so does the blood warriors and the Bastards, ending it all. Getting onto the boats, Gared lives, a Bastard dies and the other lives and only half the blood warriors go with you, as the other half stayed behind to fight with the Bastard who dies and all are resurrected for the Walker army.

I do hope Telltale makes the dialogue choices between Gared and Jon challenging. The right choices, he lets you live. The wrong choices, Jon chops Gared's head off with Longclaw.

• edited May 2017

For that to happen you have to march south (last choice in S1)
    Even if you do tho, I think Jon will be dead by then and will have other business than killing Stark loytalists, especially given the fact he gets convinced by Sansa to recapture Winterfell. He really does need every man he can trust. And who but Gared hates the Whitehills/Boltons more? Plus if you told Jon who Britt is, he tells you that anyone would want him dead, that he'd like to help you and so on. Frostfinger is the one that wants you dead, not Jon. Jon stands up for you, remember?

So the answer is clear: no execution. Doesn't mean Jon will trust Gared tho. At the end he says "a man of the watch doesn't run away". "I though I could trust him Sam, but, I was wrong"

At the very worst Gared will be given the choice to leave as the Red Lady could. The new king in the north isn't a bucther. He executed Janos Slint but Slint truly asked for it (u see what I mean)

• edited August 2017

It should depend on the last impression Gared left to Jon Snow in episode 4.

• If you defended Britt's Murder to Jon saying that you've honored your vows-Result Gared alive
    • If you don't defend Britt's Murder-Jon Snow wants to execute Gared
    • If you said to him that Britt was the killer-Jon Snow wants to execute Gared
    • If you reafirm Gared's actions saying that killing Britt was the right thing-Jon Snow wants to execute Gared

Basically the only positive impression Gared left to Jon Snow was when he follows the first option.
    Other extra facts would be on this "meeting" will be Frostfinger who already wanted to kill Gared on the first place,some fans have theorised that he feared that Self-defence kills stands around the Wall provoking Anarchy in it.
    Finn could also have a scene if you decided not to carry him North of the Wall,mocking Gared or some stuff.Other possible scene would be that Erik(the man you can exile to the wall on Season one) makes an appearance as well on the meeting.

I like the idea and I hope Telltale uses it ;)

• Jon probably wouldn't execute Gared, since he would understand Gared hating Britt, and he even says that anyone would want him dead after what Britt did to Gared's family.

• Jon Snow will be on the forrester side watch

• I would like to see some influence of the impression Gared left Jon Snow on their last meeting on Season two.The atmosphere could have some tension,doing it more interesting.If they only give us a friendly meeting would disappointing.
    As I said before my preposition would be more realistic ;)

Jon probably wouldn't execute Gared, since he would understand Gared hating Britt, and he even says that anyone would want him dead after what Britt did to Gared's family.

• Neither cause Gared aint getting caught by them, Ironrath or bust!!

• By this point, I think Jon honestly wouldn't care whatsoever that Gared deserted. Gared had his reasons, and more importantly, the North needs all the men they can get. If they're fighting the dead, it seems against what they're fighting for that Jon kill off another Northerner. Plus... y'know, it'd be hypocritical of Jon to execute Gared seeing as Jon narrowly escaped being executed himself upon returning from beyond the Wall.

It all comes down to when Season 2 will be set though, I suppose.

• I hear you but for a storytelling point and for the mechanics of the game(choices have repercussions) would make sense.
    The tensions will prove unnecessary at the end,but it would be enjoyable for the player.

As I say before is also a good moment to see characters with determined fates that are on the Wall,Finn could make an appearance as well as Erik the thief if he was sent to the Wall back on episode one.

Lewsblake23 posted: »

By this point, I think Jon honestly wouldn't care whatsoever that Gared deserted. Gared had his reasons, and more importantly, the North nee

• I do hope they at least try and make choices matter. If you play Gared in an "evil" way, telling Jon that he murdered Britt because he deserved it, I certainly hope Jon has a different reaction upon seeing him again than if you told him the truth & that you were innocent.

& yes I agree with wanting to see characters back. I sent Erik to the Wall, so it'd be great to see him again. Finn came with me, so he's dead, but I'd love to see him again in my alternate choices playthrough.

Tunak23 posted: »

I hear you but for a storytelling point and for the mechanics of the game(choices have repercussions) would make sense. The tensions will p

• Not much controversy here, IMO....Jon left the Night's Watch himself, how could he execute someone for the same crimes he is guilty of? He's not bound to the Night's Watch anymore...

• Yeah even if the vows of the organisation say "for this night and for all the nights to come"...
    :(

Pahn711 posted: »

Not much controversy here, IMO....Jon left the Night's Watch himself, how could he execute someone for the same crimes he is guilty of? He's not bound to the Night's Watch anymore...

• Or... we don't have to encounter Jon again. I really didn't like having the TV characters in the game that much, apart from Tyrion, and would rather original characters instead. Besides, Jon's kind of busy.

• Choices don't matter lol.

• Plot-armor Ramsay was annoying. His first appearance was enough. Him coming back the 2nd time to mess with your army wasn't needed.

ShampaFK posted: »

Or... we don't have to encounter Jon again. I really didn't like having the TV characters in the game that much, apart from Tyrion, and would rather original characters instead. Besides, Jon's kind of busy.

• If we do encounter another scene with Jon Snow he will most likely pardon Gared.
    SPOILERS FOR THE SHOW
    Jon Snow is the new Lord Commander of the Night's Watch and he has the help of Wildlings which the Night's Watch is supposed to be enemies with.
    Jon understands that Gared deserted for the benefit of House Forrester. Also the Night's Watch has bigger enemies heading for them that are bigger than deserters which is the White Walkers. The Night King is the most fearsome enemy he has faced. Sam broke his vows when he had a child with Gilly which would have caused them to execute Sam however, they didn't because the vows are no longer important to Night's Watch now that the Night King is coming and bringing the long winter.

• Don't remember that nightmare mate,how the show handled the Wall storyline still haunts me today.Resurrected Jon snow,Eddison Tollett became substitute Lord Commander out of nothing and Jon Snow carrying off Stannis' storyline.

That make me shiver,Still even following the"There is a huge thing out off there" logic that are the White Walkers, Problems like the self-defence killings are an important matter and high ranked members of the Night's Watch like Frostfinger could cause problems on Gared's return to Castle Black.

If we do encounter another scene with Jon Snow he will most likely pardon Gared. SPOILERS FOR THE SHOW Jon Snow is the new Lord Commander

• Yea I realize that I wrote Jon Snow as the Lord Commander that was a mistake. I'm sorry for that mistake. I didn't watch all the episodes so I am going with what I know but I think that The Night's Watch has to many problems coming its way to try and get rid of Gared. Also Jon Snow got with Ygritte which is not allowed in The Night's Watch so perhaps they will pardon Gared and also it'll be less complicated for TellTale to keep Gared alive in Season 2 with Gared not being a determinant character in Season 1 and won't make him determinant in Season 2.

• I wouldn’t be surprised if Frostfinger was one of the mutineers.

Tunak23 posted: »

Don't remember that nightmare mate,how the show handled the Wall storyline still haunts me today.Resurrected Jon snow,Eddison Tollett became

• I think FrostFinger will be killed off in Season 2 or mentioned that Jon had him killed because Frost Finger seems like the other Night's Watch guy in the show. I don't remember his name but the one that Jon Snow didn't like I think it was Mormont. I think that Jon and Gared will probably not meet at all. Jon has always been an honorable man just like his uncle Eddard Stark and if you ask me what Eddard would do to Gared it would be to pardon Gared which is what Jon may do.

• You mean Janos Slynt, whom Jon beheaded for insubordination. Jeor Mormont was the lord commander before Jon.

I think FrostFinger will be killed off in Season 2 or mentioned that Jon had him killed because Frost Finger seems like the other Night's Wa

• Correct but now would he care about Gared I doubt it. Also he is assembling an army strong enough to march against the Boltons which if Gared does come back and has to pass through The Wall I think Jon will ask him to assist him in the fight against the Bolton's and prove that he is still a brother and his friend.

You mean Janos Slynt, whom Jon beheaded for insubordination. Jeor Mormont was the lord commander before Jon.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.